Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Cups' Pool Stage Draw - Wednesday 2:30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

When are the fixtures & Game weeks generally released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    When are the fixtures & Game weeks generally released ?

Last year I booked my trip to Paris in late August, so I assume it will be before then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Where are Biarritz ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Last year I booked my trip to Paris in late August, so I assume it will be before then again.

Good lad, away for a few weeks in July-August so want to keep funds for a trip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭leakyboots

awec wrote: »
    I think there's a chance Munster will get through as #1 seeds for the quarters.

Not a snowballs. Have you looked at Toulon/Toulouse groups?

Perpignan away is a very big ask. I fancy us to top it but we mightn't be guaranteed a home quarter at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

I considered Ulsters draw this season to be relatively handy, only difference for Leinster is Ospreys instead of Glasgow, and Glasgow are a better team than them. Leinster should top their pool. Ulster on the other hand, not so sure. Out of all the English teams I really really didn't want Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Nice to get a relatively soft pool for the second year on the bounce. We had a pretty horrendous run up until then. (Northampton/Castres in 11/12, Toulon/Ospreys and a strong London Irish in 10/11, Perpignan/Northampton in 09/10, Clermont/Wasps/Llanelli in 07/08.

The concern for most teams is that one runner up stop is almost certainly going to come from the pool with Saracens & Toulouse, so that's one runner's up spot gone.

I wouldn't be too worried about Castres from a Leinster point of view. They're nowhere near the best team in France. They were fortunate enough to draw a Clermont team that had mentally imploded from the final, and a Toulon team that was bollixed. They're also losing their coaching team, as well as Joe Tekori, and they have never prioritised Europe.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

leakyboots wrote: »

Perpignan away is a very big ask. I fancy us to top it but we mightn't be guaranteed a home quarter at all.

Between the three home games you should be sitting on 15 points alone.

Not getting a home quarter from that group would be an awful result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

You think we'll get try bonuses against both Perpignan and Gloucester? Think you're overrating us a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

leakyboots wrote: »

I'd be surprised if you guys didn't get a home QF. However, there's part of me thinking that somewhere, the Perpignan and Gloucester fans are also thinking they've a serious chance of qualifying. Not a foregone conclusion, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

That's a pretty horrid draw for Ulster. Going to be tricky getting out of that group. An away QF would be a decent acheivement for them.

Leinster in a tricky group but I still think they should top the group.

Munster have a handy enough one. Probably couldn't have asked for a better group.

As for Connacht, at least we have Zebre. We should be looking to get the 2 wins over them and hopefully play well at home against the other two.

Hmmm, I dunno, bonus point wins against all three other teams? We're not a side who rack up tries, Mannix hasn't delivered thus far at all. I think Keatley could be crucial for us, we looked more dangerous going forward with him at the helm last season. Whatever about him defensively and goalkicking, he looks to run.

I just don't think there's a snowballs of us being top seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They should get a home quarter alright but get top billing for the q/f?
    Unlikely unless both Toulon send out reserves in their last game and Toulouse implode again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fair enough, I forgot about / didn't really look much at the Toulouse / Toulon pools. Should look in more detail in future! :D

But they should definitely get a home quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

So Leinster get French Champs, Strongest non Irish Opposition in Rabo and English finalists.

Gah!

Cue the "No easy groups at this level" from managers while wishing they had Munsters luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tough enough for Leinster but not too concerned. Saints are not what they were and O'Connor will know them better than his children. Agree with those who are saying Leinster to be sole qualifiers out of that group, most likely to an away QF

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Munster should get through easily enough , Gloucester and Perpignan not fit for this tournament at all .

Leinster will get through , be difficult to get home QF though

The best Ulster can hope for is 3 home wins and 1 away win , maybe 2.

Munsters group is very poor along with Toulons

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Metro have a tough pool, Sexton will have his work cut out for him. Ulster and Connacht are unlucky. The tigers will be tough and I'd say Tolouse and Sarries is far to much to ask. As a Leinster fan I know that pool is winnable however our losses worry me. Particularly as all three of the others are tough asks as away fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Metro have a tough pool, Sexton will have his work cut out for him. Ulster and Connacht are unlucky. The tigers will be tough and I'd say Tolouse and Sarries is far to much to ask. As a Leinster fan I know that pool is winnable however our losses worry me. Particularly as all three of the others are tough asks as away fixtures.

Leinster need to ensure they don't start the campaign away to Castres. If we can get them at home first, we should beat them and they may show zero interest after that.
    I know it sounds awfully stereotypical but we've seen it so many times before.

When do the fixtures get announced again? Can never remember

EDIT: Normally mid July, around the 18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Flincher wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about Castres from a Leinster point of view. They're nowhere near the best team in France. They were fortunate enough to draw a Clermont team that had mentally imploded from the final, and a Toulon team that was bollixed. They're also losing their coaching team, as well as Joe Tekori, and they have never prioritised Europe.

this is very true, Castre have lost the brains trust to Racing... making that a GROUP OF DEATH
    !!!!!!!!!!!

DEATH !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Leinster group isn't too bad it's probably the average one with harder and easier ones than it. Ulster have it all to do. Connacht should get a double over Zebre at least. If munster don't get a home semi it'll be a disappointment, but having said that Perpignan and Gloucester won't be disappointed with getting the easiest of the top seeds. They'll give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

before the draw, Leinster were 13/2 and Munster were 33/1, now Leinster are out to 7/1 and Munster 20/1(! - amazingly still give them no chance after a canter of a draw) to win it.

Bookies very rarely wrong, but I think 7/1 on Leinster to win Heineken Cup is about as good odds as you're likely to get any time. I'll be taking that thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Leinster group isn't too bad it's probably the average one with harder and easier ones than it. Ulster have it all to do. Connacht should get a double over Zebre at least. If munster don't get a home semi it'll be a disappointment, but having said that Perpignan and Gloucester won't be disappointed with getting the easiest of the top seeds. They'll give it a go.

Home semis are not won by right they are the luck of a draw.
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    before the draw, Leinster were 13/2 and Munster were 33/1, now Leinster are out to 7/1 and Munster 20/1(! - amazingly still give them no chance after a canter of a draw) to win it.

An easier draw can only give you a Qtr/final spot, by the knockout stages most of the best teams will be still around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Leinster group isn't too bad it's probably the average one with harder and easier ones than it. Ulster have it all to do.

Just for a non-partisan opinion on it, French sports newspaper Midi Olympique have dubbed Leinster's draw the 'Pool of Death'

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/coupe-d-europe/2012-2013/h-cup-castres-dans-la-poule-de-la-mort-clermont-avec-le-racing_sto3789783/story.shtml

But while Leinster have the toughest group, they should still be the best team in it and so I'd expect them to qualify. A home QF will be a long shot though, and a lot will depend on the schedule of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

The FFR withdraw from holding the 2014 finals. Pretty extraordinary news...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ffr-withdraw-from-hosting-european-finals-1.1420712

• Subscribers Posts: 41,016 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quint2010 wrote: »
    The FFR withdraw from holding the 2014 finals. Pretty extraordinary news...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ffr-withdraw-from-hosting-european-finals-1.1420712

surely this is too much of a money spinner for a city to just let be passed to some other country???

C'mon IRFU, hop in and take it if at all possible. Although it's unlikely ERC will vote for Ireland to host two consecutive finals. Murrayfield is probably the favourite as they last hosted a final in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Just for a non-partisan opinion on it, French sports newspaper Midi Olympique have dubbed Leinster's draw the 'Pool of Death'

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/coupe-d-europe/2012-2013/h-cup-castres-dans-la-poule-de-la-mort-clermont-avec-le-racing_sto3789783/story.shtml

But while Leinster have the toughest group, they should still be the best team in it and so I'd expect them to qualify. A home QF will be a long shot though, and a lot will depend on the schedule of matches.

Leinster a group isn't the toughest and that's from a Leinster fan. I'm not saying its in any way easy but there are one if not two harder groups. It looks harder than it is because two of the other teams in it made domestic finals from no where.
    Castres are not close to a top French team. As well as they did to win the top 14 they beat a clermont team who's heads weren't in it and a knackered Toulon. They are losing their coaching staff and maybe their best player. Who knows what other players have now been put in the shop window after winning.
    The Ospreys are not as good as they were or anywhere close to it. They are also losing their best player like Castres.
    Northampton are losing both their props and are a mediocre English team if you look at their team.
    Clermont, Harlequins, Scarlets, Metro and their new names is a tougher group. Ulster,Leicester, Montpellier and Treviso is arguably more difficult in terms of qualifying too.

• Advertisement

Leinster a group isn't the toughest and that's from a Leinster fan. I'm not saying its in any way easy but there are one if not two harder groups. It looks harder than it is because two of the other teams in it made domestic finals from no where.
    Castres are not close to a top French team. As well as they did to win the top 14 they beat a clermont team who's heads weren't in it and a knackered Toulon. They are losing their coaching staff and maybe their best player. Who knows what other players have now been put in the shop window after winning.

It's been confirmed that Kockott will see out the last year of his contract.

Advertisement