Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Cups' Pool Stage Draw - Wednesday 2:30pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What Channel is showing this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    over now but it was on TG4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    it's over now. was on TG4 and Sky Sports news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

With a group like that I think Connacht will struggle to win the Heineken Cup this year.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Bloody sky have just advertised that the 'live' draw is going to be shown soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Munster and to a lesser extent Toulon have massively easy groups.

Every other group could throw up a winner that isn't from Tier 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Once again Munster get a piss easy draw, Leinster get a nightmare.

Ulster got a very tough draw too, but at least have an Italian team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Pool 3 to have two qualifiers for the QF

• Administrators Posts: 53,449 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pool 1
    Leinster
    Northampton
    Ospreys
    Castres

Pool 2
    Toulon
    Cardiff
    Glasgow
    Exeter

Pool 3
    Toulouse
    Saracens
    Connacht
    Zebre

Pool 4
    Clermont
    Harlequins
    Scarlets
    Racing

Pool 5
    Ulster
    Leicester
    Montpellier
    Treviso

Pool 6
    Munster
    Perpignan
    Edinburgh
    Gloucester

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Leinster almost have the same group Munster did two years ago, but with a different welsh team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm satisfied :D

Pretty much the group I wanted, fixture scheduling with the away to Perpignan would be the only worry... could be dangerous. Still, I'd expect at least 4 wins from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ed7890 wrote: »
    Pretty good draw for Munster

Understatement!

:p

Fantastic draw.

Leinster's is mixed. Don't think it's as bad as some are making out. Castres are losing their coaching team and Kockott. Ospreys aren't the side they were but will be tough. Northampton similar. They're losing players but have signed some quality too. If Leinster can perform, they should top that group. Anything is better than Clermont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

So we get an AP Finalist, Ospreys who we are bogey with and the Top 14 champions...

Fecks sake :pac:

Pool 4... Was kind of hoping Connacht would have that pool seeing Harlequins & Clermont at the sportsground.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I know it would have been technically impossible to draw them, but I am still relieved that Leinster didn't somehow end up in the same pool as Clermont.

Our draw isn't great.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Once again Munster get a piss easy draw, Leinster get a nightmare.

You must be easily scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tough pool for Leinster, wonder who'll get the Lansdowne match.
    Nightmare pool for Ulster, possibly the pool where only the winner gets to a QF
    Reasonably easy pool for Munster it has to be said.
    Probably the best pool Connacht could have got, they should have a chance of finishing 3rd in it.
    Pool 4, ouch

French Champions, best Pro12 side outside of tier 1 and a strong English team. Probably the most competetive of all the groups.

I'm still pretty confident of Leinster getting out of that group, but we'll have to win the cup the hard way again. Just lessens the chances of a home quarter too, where as the likes of Munster would have to consider anything less than a walk to the semi-finals a failure. Luck of the draw, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    Pool 1
    Leinster
    Northampton
    Ospreys
    Castres

That's a rotten draw, although I'd still back Leinster.

Pool 2
    Toulon
    Cardiff
    Glasgow
    Exeter

Toulon here. I'm happy for Glasgow too, they could make some go of qualifying as a second placed team.

Pool 3
    Toulouse
    Saracens
    Connacht
    Zebre

It should be close between Toulouse and Saracens. Connacht will hopefully do the double over Zebre and do well in all home games.

Pool 4
    Clermont
    Harlequins
    Scarlets
    Racing

Clermont, Quins and Racing will be tasty. Scarlets are going to get pummeled I fear.

Pool 5
    Ulster
    Leicester
    Montpellier
    Treviso

That is a very tough draw for Ulster, tough to call. Montpellier are recruiting a lot in the summer. This could well come down to a team losing in Treviso. I'm gutted for Treviso too, another **** draw.,

Pool 6
    Munster
    Perpignan
    Edinburgh
    Gloucester

That's as good a draw as we could hope for. Edinburgh again is like an Italian team based on last season.

So I predict:

Pool 1: Leinster
    Pool 2: Toulon + Glasgow
    Pool 3: Toulouse
    Pool 4: Clermont + Racing
    Pool 5: Ulster (very tough to call!)
    Pool 6: Munster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

For a top seed, I reckon the difficulty of the groups would be 5-4-1-3-2-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Toulon and Toulouse have laughable pools.Toulouse have 20 points in the bag from Connacht and Zebre.

If Castres hadn't won their last two games, people would think the pool is alright. They're a good side but they're not a European side. Ulster beat them twice this season including an absolute thumping in Ravenhill. They'll put up a tough challenge but Leinster should be able to beat them twice given the personnel they're losing this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Oh well if all else fails....

#AmlinisthenewHeino

:pac:

Yeah, and they're the easiest team in the group....

I think we will have an away QF on our hands at the very best.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    French Champions, best Pro12 side outside of tier 1 and a strong English team. Probably the most competetive of all the groups.

It is on it's arse. Pools 4 and 5 are nightmares.

I don't buy this bogey team stuff. They're a rugby team, nothing more, nothing less. We stuffed them recently. Ospreys won 2 games in their pool this year. Treviso beat them. They're a good side but have lost a rake of players and have now lost Fotuali'i who was by far their most important player.

Castres are a good side that have never done much in Europe. Ulster hockeyed them this year. They're losing their coaching team and their best player.

Northampton are a strong side on their day but again, personnel changes will hurt them. They've lost a lot of depth along with their props. Their depth is poor too. We should be able to do a number on them up front.

I think there's a chance Munster will get through as #1 seeds for the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Munster should be embarrassed if they don't top that group.

In fairness, they limped through their group this year when their second seed finished last with 6 losses. I'd say they'll finish second in their group again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kockott may be now staying in Castres following the Top14 final win, the club are in negotiations with him. I'm sure the extra money from the Top14 title will go towards keeping him.

Advertisement