Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deli Counter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A lot of places outside Dublin will charge more than €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I used to work in a deli OP, and we used to hate customers like you.

Could never understand why people thought we deserved the abuse for the prices. Deli workers do not make the prices, just the rolls.

And maybe if you'd had a look around, you probably would've seen signs with the prices of all items before you ordered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'd honestly be worried about what type of chicken is in a €1.50 chicken roll nowadays...if it was chicken at all.

From Thailand, pumped full of water and preservatives and other godknowswhat chemicals, transported to Holland for some more processing and arrive in Ireland, 3-4 days old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I once saw some Irish guys giving out ****e to a woman in a strip club in Amsterdam for the price of a lap dance being a tenner.

So I tapped her on the shoulder and asked did she want to ditch these idiots and dance for me. I paid 20, and in return she gave me a lap sance and took my money from off my face with her pussy.

Moral of the story: you get what you pay for, and stingy gits get bitched in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

As much as I dont agree with how the OP treated the deli worker as its not exactly them making the prices, I remember about 3/4 years ago chicken rolls and a can of coke were about 2.50/3euros in a local centra/spar etc and you could get extras like cheese/egg etc on it for about 20/50 cents each, they were a big staple to my lunchtimes when I was in college then :D
    So, yeah at 3.50 or more now and without a drink too, it does seem a tad expensive, comparativally speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Used to work on a deli. OP, you can be absolutely certain that the only thing your "civilized comment on prices" achieved was maybe to mildly upset the girl, after which the entire staff spent the rest of the day taking the piss out of you and vowing to be deliberately slow serving you for everything if you ever darken the doorway again.

If people made a lighthearted comment about our prices, I would whole-heartedly agree, and we'd have a bit of banter.

If someone politely turned down a price, I'd have sympathy and say I understood - maybe even pass the comment on to my manager if I remembered.

BUT if someone acted the way you did and dared to come back in again you can be sure you'd be getting the most burnt / smallest / driest chicken fillet in the counter with the stingiest amount of cheese possible. I might even 'forget' the mayo. Being rude solves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

mtjm wrote: »
    What I said was "feck off with your fecking price I'll get a fecking cheaper roll, we're in a fecking recession"

ya get the picture. Your right I should have said no thanks and walked away but I refuse to pay for over priced stuff and why should I

Who deserves to be spoken to like that for doing their job?

Cursing four times in one sentence at someone for a price you probably could have read.

From working in a job previously where I had to listen to people abuse me because of my company's policies (which by the way were fair, it was just the customer who made the mistake) I can honestly say you are the worst kind of person to treat someone like that.

You clearly came on here to get some applause and back slapping for your "courageous grandstanding" which just compounds how out of line your behavior was.

I've encountered three year old children with more manners than you sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

I want to put some things straight here. Firstly I was out of line giving out to the deli staff I was having a bad day and granted I shouldn't have taken it out on her, 99.9% of the time I don't give out to any shop worker or deli worker as they do have hard enough time dealing with other idiots. In relation to buying an item I do have a principle in not over spending on items and it's within my right to accept or not to accept and that's including buying mars/crisps and knowing it's cheaper elsewhere

I had tended to make a topic about other places that over charge silly prices but it didn't come across that way.

Yes if I could find a way getting cheaper stuff then so be it and you don't have to agree with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In malahide, I pay 3.50 - 4.50 for a chicken roll. In the city centre, I pay 2 euro. Location is everything. Still shouldn't have been a dick to her mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I want to put some things straight here. Firstly I was out of line giving out to the deli staff I was having a bad day and granted I shouldn't have taken it out on her, 99.9% of the time I don't give out to any shop worker or deli worker as they do have hard enough time dealing with other idiots. In relation to buying an item I do have a principle in not over spending on items and it's within my right to accept or not to accept and that's including buying mars/crisps and knowing it's cheaper elsewhere

I had tended to make a topic about other places that over charge silly prices but it didn't come across that way.

Yes if I could find a way getting cheaper stuff then so be it and you don't have to agree with it

Had she already made the roll OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

Thwip! wrote: »
    Had she already made the roll OP?

Nope I had asked

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    As much as I dont agree with how the OP treated the deli worker as its not exactly them making the prices, I remember about 3/4 years ago chicken rolls and a can of coke were about 2.50/3euros in a local centra/spar etc and you could get extras like cheese/egg etc on it for about 20/50 cents each, they were a big staple to my lunchtimes when I was in college then :D
    So, yeah at 3.50 or more now and without a drink too, it does seem a tad expensive, comparativally speaking.

Sure in SuperValu Drogheda I get a chicken fillet roll, any amount of salad free, along with the can of coke for €3! There used to be a bag of crisps with that but you know, the times are changing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

kingcobra wrote: »
    Sure in SuperValu Drogheda

Like yer man said, location is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

mad turnip wrote: »
    Superquinn in heuston charges 5.60.... Yup try paying that a few times over 6 months when your a hungover student.
    You must not go in that often. Depending on the mood they are in I get charged between 2.45 for a sandwich with two fillings or 3.95 for chicken wrap regardless of what I get. And they pack the stuff on and have a laugh at the same time. No complaints.
    It would bug me paying 4-5 euro and they are mean with the fillings and just throw it at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There's a spar on the corner of George's Street that does good rolls!
    1.99 for hot chicken fillet, mayo, lettuce and taco sauce! Definitely does the trick before and after a night drinking or for a bite at lunch time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

What I said was "feck off with your fecking price I'll get a fecking cheaper roll, we're in a fecking recession"

ya get the picture. Your right I should have said no thanks and walked away but I refuse to pay for over priced stuff and why should I

Regrets, you've had a few?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Nope I had asked

And had you not seen the signs saying the prices of the rolls beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

BGozIE wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. She doesn't set the prices therefore really doesn't need/warrant some mongo being rude to her. Whatever about disagreeing with the price...that's totally understandable...you don't need to be rude to the employee however.

PS that "chicken" roll you got for 1.99 in supervalu....ye that's not chicken :)

Yes I hope he enjoyed his cheep roll of mechanically recovered chicken freshly shipped in from Tajikistan.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Do they do hot chicken rolls in other countries? I don't think I've ever seen them in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

OP, lucky girl whoever she is when she gets you , tight is the only word that springs to mind, probably eat sweets out of your pocket !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Buying a sarni from a deli counter, f*ck that ****.

One box of Waffo ham €2.99
    Ordinary bag of cheese €2
    10 slices of corned beef €1.70
    Loaf of bread €1.70
    3 tomatoes €0.90

€9.29 for 6 lunches. Cant beat that sh*t.

Waffo ham is crap, usually I can pick up Brady's ham on special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

over priced. you walked away from a bargain. you WILL not get a real chicken fillet in a roll for 1.99 . are you sure you dont work for super valu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Buying a sarni from a deli counter, f*ck that ****.

One box of Waffo ham €2.99
    Ordinary bag of cheese €2
    10 slices of corned beef €1.70
    Loaf of bread €1.70
    3 tomatoes €0.90

€9.29 for 6 lunches. Cant beat that sh*t.

Waffo ham is crap, usually I can pick up Brady's ham on special offer.

Sunday night action in a Cork kitchen...

Sunday night action in a Cork kitchen...

I didnt come across as a bit tight there did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

6 day old bread. Does your lunch box walk you to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Slightly. But fair play to ye :pac:

Googling 'The Latte Factor' I'm always reminded of the wisdom of making your own sandwiches.

But of course there's nothing wrong with the occasional deli visit...

mickdw wrote: »
    6 day old bread. Does your lunch box walk you to work?

Ya probably not.

But of course there's nothing wrong with the occasional deli visit...

Which is actually where I get my corned beef DAMN IT!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That sound you are hearing, ladies and gentlemen, is furious backpeddling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm glad After Hours banded together to call the op out on his cunty behaviour.

Advertisement