Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Western Force, Wed 5 June 11am; Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

While there may be some truth in this, BOD can only make himself available for a pass. The Inside Centre still has to make the right decision, and through the pass.

Tuilagi seems a lot more focussed on getting others over the gainline at 12 than he does at 13.

He's also fairly dangerous in open space. I'd like to see the pair again in a Test.

Considering who he plays with for Tigers/England i think its a testemant to his talent that he's able to change up his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Tox56 wrote: »
    Because generally they didn't need to. Neither SOB or Heaslip would be Pocock at the breakdown but at 6 or 8 they would be better than most in those positions. If a Tipuric or Warburton was there too I'd say it would be a very strong backrow at the breakdown

But they cant be show ponies all the time, Heaslip especially looked good because he was playing as an extra back.
    Its telling that people on here are not saying anything good about the second rows, but if they hadnt put in a serious stint at the coal face others wouldnt have had freedom to run around (or play as another winger in Crofts case!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Webbs wrote: »
    But they cant be show ponies all the time, Heaslip especially looked good because he was playing as an extra back.
    Its telling that people on here are not saying anything good about the second rows, but if they hadnt put in a serious stint at the coal face others wouldnt have had freedom to run around (or play as another winger in Crofts case!)

Yet again, dammed no matter what way he plays. Showpony if he makes breaks, hiding if he hits rucks.

An extra back that managed to be top tackler?

I don't really know what Heaslip has to do to prove to people that he is a complete player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Can't see Warbutton making the test team to be honest. He's been nursing his knee for a while now and the hard ground is going to put paid to his tour i fear.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Yet again, dammed no matter what way he plays. Showpony if he makes breaks, hiding if he hits rucks.

Do both and then no problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Heaslip has spent the last 2 years+ putting in a "serious stint at the coalface", cleaning out rucks, taking on bad ball, making countless tackles and working like a beaver at the breakdown making others look good. He has a stormer in the loose and he is accused of being a show pony! He is one of those who can't win!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Firstly are you talking about offensive breakdown or defensive breakdown work? Make up your mind!

First you talk about the breakdown battle for the open sides, then you talk about supposed show ponies in attack?

Secondly, the reason Heaslip is such a top class player is he is able to do all that while still hitting a massive number of rucks. It's the difference between him and Faletau. I'm sure the stats will show Evans, AWJ and Heaslip hit the most number of offensive breakdowns.

But weren't you talking about open sides and defensive breakdown work?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Do both and then no problem ;)

I think you need to open your eyes a little.

Are you confusing him with Flopper Faletau?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭JRant

An extra back that managed to be top tackler?

I don't really know what Heaslip has to do to prove to people that he is a complete player.

I think performances like today should be more than enough really. If you watched that game today and didn't think Heaslip was immensw then no amount of words can help you.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Anyone know how long it takes that YouTube channel to put you games?

1 to 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Firstly are you talking about offensive breakdown or defensive breakdown work? Make up your mind!

First you talk about the breakdown battle for the open sides, then you talk about supposed show ponies in attack?

Secondly, the reason Heaslip is such a top class player is he is able to do all that while still hitting a massive number of rucks. It's the difference between him and Faletau. I'm sure the stats will show Evans, AWJ and Heaslip hit the most number of offensive breakdowns.

But weren't you talking about open sides and defensive breakdown work?

I agree, Heaslip was outstanding today, probably the best I've ever seen him play. And SOB was great too. I was disappointed with Croft. Assuming Warburton will play, a SOB/Warburton/Heaslip back 3, with Tipuric on the bench would be very decent. I can't believe how much my opinion of Heaslip has changed since the 6N. The only asterix next today's performance is the quality of the opposition, so I hope he & Faletau both get some better opponents to show their wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

The Secret Show Pony: My Invisible Life in the Public Eye.

by Jamie Heaslip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭twinytwo

On todays peformance alone BOD is still the only man for the 13 shirt, if the lions could actually offload he would have got another 3/4 tries.

Both BOD and croft run excellent support lines,same goes for bowe... if only the others could see the pass.

Heaslip was excellent, if only he put in half that effort for ireland:pac:

Halfpenny runied sexton a few times today, running in to the line for no reason and closing the space.

Line out was a bit all over the place, im going to assume at this stage that AWJ and Paulie will start the tests.

Where is the best place to watch highlights online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Thought Farrell was very silly near the end throwing the sly dig/punch. Sky guys seem to ignore it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Thought Farrell was very silly near the end throwing the sly dig/punch. Sky guys seem to ignore it completely.

What, completely missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Foley has come out and said whatever happened regarding any alleged biting was dealt with on the field and there will be no more about it.

I'm beginning to think it's a bit of an attempted stitch up by Sheahan.

Buer wrote: »
    Foley has come out and said whatever happened regarding any alleged biting was dealt with on the field and there will be no more about it.

I'm beginning to think it's a bit of an attempted stitch up by Sheahan.

Looking at the replay there is no way healy chomped him, plus im sure trying to bite someone with a gumshield in would be nearly impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

twinytwo wrote: »
    Looking at the replay there is no way healy chomped him, plus im sure trying to bite someone with a gumshield in would be nearly impossible

ask Dylan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Hagz wrote: »
    He was decent in the first half, though a few of his passes were at head height. I thought he steadied himself in the second half. Though in saying that, Ben Youngs looked great when he came off the bench.

Youngs looked good for Farrell's try but went missing during the build up to Parling, and then almost lost possession. We'll see how he gets on at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Oh I see, I missed bits of the game (in work....) so the TMO reviewed the Healy allegation during the game, but could see nothing, then Healy went over on his ankle in a tackle.

Hopefully all will be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

twinytwo wrote: »

Doesn't stop the aussie papers leading with it :

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-match-report/biting-allegation-injury-cause-gatland-concern-20130605-2nqxx.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

19543261 wrote: »
    What, completely missed that

Not a lot in it, more of a swinging arm, just saw it out of the corner of my eye as the play moved back across the pitch. It was in the last few seconds before the buzzer went He needs to cop on, or he may as well paint a target on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Add me to the Heaslip camp; today was one of his biggest games in years; both in defence and attack. SOB was equally impressive and both came up trumps IMO. With that said, the overall work of the pack was adequate if not great and in particular the scrum looked a little weak at times. Severe bucking up is required for Saturday's game; todays opposition looked good for far too much of the game.

Was it me or did BOD carry the defensive line at times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Nobody is talking about Richie Gray to partner POC in the tests. For a guy who hadn't played in so long I thought he did quite well at the w/e. The more gametime he gets the better. I'd like to see he or Parling ahead of the welsh lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

bob11 wrote: »

Typical curmudgeon crap from OZ. yes the lions shouldn't have allowed in any tries. But this wasn't the first team.

Typical curmudgeon crap from OZ. yes the lions shouldn't have allowed in any tries. But this wasn't the first team.

i wouldnt think it is far off it though, add back in poc,jones and phillips and thats it like, can argue roberts/tupric/warburton

Was it me or did BOD carry the defensive line at times?

This may be the problem playing BOD with Tuilagi, Roberts is the Welsh defensive line captain and so with BODs obvious defensive prowess then defensively they should be far more organised as a pair than Tuilagi playing out of position at 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

bob11 wrote: »
    in no one's book will the Force side that played in front of 35,000 fans at Patersons Stadium go down as the contemptuous, second rate offering they were labelled in the lead up to Wednesday's game.

From five-eighth Jonathan Sexton's first try in the 11th minute to Geoff Parling's last in the 77th, the Force competed with pride, repeatedly backing themselves to score in the face of Warren Gatland's not insubstantial slabs of prime rib.

Wow, that is cringeworthy. Reminds me of the days when Irish Media would talk up heavy defeats as 'moral victories'.

Advertisement