Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitter Atheists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Prodigious wrote: »
    Ask God for forgiveness. :D
    Alas, Thor is out playing Hollywood at the moment, and Vishnu isn't replying for some reason, who would you recommend I speak with personally instead? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can the militants atheists clarify about what I'm bitter? I don't want to be doing atheism wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buzz84 wrote: »
    What utter nonsense. How does religion effect your day to day life?
    My taxes go towards abuse victims that the religions abused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

lazygal wrote: »
    Can the militants atheists clarify about what I'm bitter? I don't want to be doing atheism wrong.
    I thought it was the laissez faire atheists who think militant atheists are bitter. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I like Jaffa Cakes myself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

daithi1970 wrote: »
    I like Jaffa Cakes myself..

36 posts.
    It does appear we're obsessed with biscuits all right. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I think I am more sarcastic and condescending than bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

This country is so immature, we spent 800 years fighting for independence then after 80 years we ****ed it up all by ourselves yet we blame the Brits, Bankers, Germans, Jews, Catholics, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael etc etc blah blah blah, the sooner every individual in this country takes responsibility for their own actions the better, we want the power but we dont want the responsibility that goes with it and when it does'nt work out we look for someone to blame! we send kids to school hungry but we spend millions to bring hay from France and England to feed cows and pigs! Its the political classes we need to be directing our hatred at, the church is just a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I became so disillusion with bitter atheists I decided to to take up religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lynchieboy wrote: »
    800 years
    Brits
    Bankers
    Germans
    Jews
    Fianna Fail
    Nice try, but we'll still continue to hate the church...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What utter nonsense. How does religion effect your day to day life?

Got kids of school-going age, OP?

Ever had a hard time finding a school with 'values' that didn't make you want to retch? Or one that would accept your unbaptised kids at all? And when they lie to you about not trying to indoctrinate your kids against your wishes, they at least lie convincingly?

Thought not.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I couldn't care less about theists I aint one of them. I just don't understand why people obsess about something they don't believe in.

they believe that all the sheite spouted out at us since we were kids is pure bs,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Liamario wrote: »

That verse of scripture is actually not about any individual. Its about a nation (Israel or Judah) and the one that she (the nation) is fornicating with is a false god down in Egypt. Its kind of amusing the methods God employs to get people's attention on certain subjects, if that verse just went on about the nation worshiping idols then we would probably never even have heard of it, but just analogize the activity with sex, fornication and donkey's private parts and you're onto a winner. God really does work in mysterious ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Grim_Reaper12

koth wrote: »
    Some theists believe that an all powerful deity that created the world is so low on self-esteem that he'll condemn those that don't worship him to eternal torment.

But yet you find atheists commenting on religion weird.

It is obliviously weird the way of orthodox atheist commenting on religion. You can't convince people like that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

I always find it weird how some atheists are obsessed with religion.

They remind me of bitter x girlfriends

Then again since I became an Atheist five years ago I found many people say we're amoral because we take no interest in religion - seems we can't please everyone! :-)

The short answer is that we all take an interest in religion where it tries to claim unwarranted respect, take tax payers money or infringe on the rights of others.

I do enjoy studying Theology from an academic perspective too but can't speak for everyone.

I became so disillusion with bitter atheists I decided to to take up religion.

God Bless Atheism I say. :-)

When I campaigned against the British National Party back home on the grounds they were racist, tragically right wing and none too bright, some people did comment in a nasty way, "You seem to know an awful lot about them for someone that hates them."

I really didn't understand this way of thinking. Should we judge people based on what they say and do or on what they've never said or done? And how are we going to know if we don't take the time to find out?

It surely wouldn't surprise anyone when I campaigned against this party that I kept and read a copy of their manifesto in order to clearly explain why I felt they were a bunch of bone heads - in the same way I keep the texts of most major religions on my bookshelf for reference purposes.

It is obliviously weird the way of orthodox atheist commenting on religion. You can't convince people like that way.

They do say the Devil can quoted scripture to suit himself. :-)

Sometimes referencing the text or dictates of a religion is necessary when talking to the faithful as they may not be aware of it themselves.

For instance,it can be done to point out contradictions and inconsistencies - apparently we should execute people who gather sticks on the Sabbath but we are also admonished to love our neighbour.

St. Paul tells us we can own slaves, just that we mustn't hurt them.

I believe it's St. Timothy who forbids women to hold a position above a man.

The reason people aren't aware of this is quite simply these aren't the parts of the Bible you tend to hear read out on a Sunday. Christians cherry pick the nice parts and it's important to point this out to them as it shows that they're capable of moral behaviour without recourse to religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

That verse of scripture is actually not about any individual. Its about a nation (Israel or Judah) and the one that she (the nation) is fornicating with is a false god down in Egypt. Its kind of amusing the methods God employs to get people's attention on certain subjects, if that verse just went on about the nation worshiping idols then we would probably never even have heard of it, but just analogize the activity with sex, fornication and donkey's private parts and you're onto a winner. God really does work in mysterious ways.

So your god was the original lazy adman,
    "How will we get the message out....?"
    "I know stick in a bit about shagging, that'll draw a bit of attention, now where'll we go for lunch."

So your god was the original lazy adman,
    "How will we get the message out....?"
    "I know stick in a bit about shagging, that'll draw a bit of attention, now where'll we go for lunch."

It's one thing not to want to prostrate yourself in front of graven images of dubious origin, but to be told you can't do so. . . :-)

We haven't even gone into the opposition the Church has shown to gay marriage being legalized - and then they wonder why Atheists are so mean to them? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

silentrust wrote: »
    When I campaigned against the British National Party back home on the grounds they were racist, tragically right wing and none too bright, some people did comment in a nasty way, "You seem to know an awful lot about them for someone that hates them."

I really didn't understand this way of thinking. Should we judge people based on what they say and do or on what they've never said or done? And how are we going to know if we don't take the time to find out?

It surely wouldn't surprise anyone when I campaigned against this party that I kept and read a copy of their manifesto in order to clearly explain why I felt they were a bunch of bone heads - in the same way I keep the texts of most major religions on my bookshelf for reference purposes.

Totally different.

Totally different.

Is it so different?

I am sure you're not naive enough to believe religious organisations aren't partly political in nature. Be it stem cell research, cloning, divorce, gay marriage, each seems to believe it has moral authority to be able to know the best course of action.

If I take an interest in these issues, in the nature of things I have to examine the beliefs of those who oppose it. For as long as they campaign in favour of what I see as unfair and wrong-headed, I will attack their claims on their own merits as well as their own.

Perhaps you rankled at the idea of comparing the Church to a ultra nationalist xenophobic political party - what I can tell you is that a lot of the more senior members of the party I spoke too were both ultra conservative and ultra religious - I don't insist on there being a parallel but if the cap fits... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Totally different.

How? In what way is it different to research organisations/beliefs that you disagree with for the purpose of educating yourself in their arguments, the better to debate these people and inform other people as to what these organisations teach/impose/purport?

Obliq wrote: »
    How? In what way is it different to research organisations/beliefs that you disagree with for the purpose of educating yourself in their arguments, the better to debate these people and inform other people as to what these organisations teach/impose/purport?

I think perhaps the fact I made a comparison between the church and a far-right organisation might have made some hackles rise. The Catholic Church in particular had a worryingly close relationship with the fascist movements in Italy and Spain but perhaps this is a discussion for a differne time.

As you say, you do need to familiarise yourself with your opponent's arguments. For this reason I support faith-based schools, as we've yet to think of a better way of producing more Atheists. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I think perhaps the fact I made a comparison between the church and a far-right organisation might have made some hackles rise. The Catholic Church in particular had a worryingly close relationship with the fascist movements in Italy and Spain but perhaps this is a discussion for a differne time.

Well, we won't know why he dismissed your good point with "totally different" until he replies. On the comparison between the RC and right-wing organisations, yes - I have a busy morning ahead. ;)
    As you say, you do need to familiarise yourself with your opponent's arguments. For this reason I support faith-based schools, as we've yet to think of a better way of producing more Atheists. :-D

:pac: I'm thinking we need more priests telling us all about morality. That has been working rather well for us Atheists.

Obliq wrote: »
    Well, we won't know why he dismissed your good point with "totally different" until he replies. On the comparison between the RC and right-wing organisations, yes - I have a busy morning ahead. ;)

:pac: I'm thinking we need more priests telling us all about morality. That has been working rather well for us Atheists.

You would be thinking they'd be grateful at least someone is showing an interest in their religion. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hello and goodbye, dead one. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I believe it's St. Timothy who forbids women to hold a position above a man.
    Seems Tim was pro-missionary.

robindch wrote: »
    Seems Tim was pro-missionary.

Thank you for giving me a giggle. My girlfriend was talking to me at the time and thought I was laughing at her. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dades wrote: »
    Hello and goodbye, dead one. :)

Blimey, is he still hanging around?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement