Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

22 year old, insuring an Evo 7, Quick question

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

If you're 22 try XSDirect. You can have the insurance on an Evo 7 no problem, but the excess is huge (€1,000-€3,000).
    Still, that's where I'm going with my 645ci (soon :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    If cost of insuring it would be half the price of the car - then it's surely not worth it.

An Evo 7 is going to cost somewhere in the region of €6k to €8k. Not many people can afford to take the risk of walking away from that kind of money in fairness. Its not like its a €750 banger thats not worth having fully comp insurance, and given the car the risk of something happening to it (be it accident or theft) are a lot higher than a normal car. No way should anyone consider third party only insurance on a car like that unless they have the cash lying around to cover the potential loss.

dgt wrote: »
    Er I seem to be missing some of this arguement above...!

An absolute anus I went to school with got insured on an EVO 7 at 19 for about 5 grand as himself (memory serving me correctly) if that's any use to the OP

If you can afford that kind of money then there will be options available. Worst case scenario if everyone refuses then the (I think) insurance ombudsman will get involved and find a quote, which will be high, but if you have €5k to spend then that should not be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    An Evo 7 is going to cost somewhere in the region of €6k to €8k. Not many people can afford to take the risk of walking away from that kind of money in fairness. Its not like its a €750 banger thats not worth having fully comp insurance, and given the car the risk of something happening to it (be it accident or theft) are a lot higher than a normal car. No way should anyone consider third party only insurance on a car like that unless they have the cash lying around to cover the potential loss.

But while having the car insured by OP's father, while will cover against theft and fire, won't cover it in case of OP crashing it, as he will be using his "driving other cars" extension only, which most certainly is third party only.

And in relation to insurance - yes - I've already noticed Irish people are crazy about insuring everything to have a piece of mind, but in many cases it's just not worth it.

Seriously - if you are to pay even 1/4 of the price of the car to insure it against theft, then in 4 years you will pay the price of whole car.
    How likely is it that it's going to be stolen in those 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Seriously - if you are to pay even 1/4 of the price of the car to insure it against theft, then in 4 years you will pay the price of whole car.
    In the case of an Evo, very likely.

• Advertisement

But while having the car insured by OP's father, while will cover against theft and fire, won't cover it in case of OP crashing it, as he will be using his "driving other cars" extension only, which most certainly is third party only.

And in relation to insurance - yes - I've already noticed Irish people are crazy about insuring everything to have a piece of mind, but in many cases it's just not worth it.

I might agree with you for a normal car, but a car like an Evo is a target, and is a lot more likely to go walkabout. Its about piece of mind as much as anything, but thats just insurance in general. Most people will pay out several times the value of their cars and (thankfully) never need to see a penny of it back. Then there is the unlucky sod who spends €8k on a car and has to claim in the first year. End of the day its up to the individual as to what risk they can afford/are willing to take, but most people for a car of that value would want to have more than just basic third party only insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The main problem will be the guards, he has to have his father insure the EVO otherwise the EVO has no disk on the window and will alert the ANPR camera every time it goes by. Guards may not pay attention to every car that sets off the ANPR but they will when its an EVO.
    If a 22yr old is stopped at a checkpoint with no disk in the window, then its a fine for non-display of insurance, does mater if he's insured to drive it.
    Even if it is insured by his father, it only needed to be stopped by the wrong guard once for that guard to remember that car (and its going to be distinctive) and stop you everytime he sees you. Not as much a problem in the cities, but definitely a problem outside Dublin or Cork.
    A lot of people have tried it and gave up after a few months.

Advertisement