Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

22 year old, insuring an Evo 7, Quick question

Options
  • 03-06-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

22yrs old, 4.5yrs full Irish licence.. 2yrs NCB, 3yrs No claims driving, 2penalty points

Now Im not stupid... No Insurance company will touch me with an Evo 7 involved. However, Can somebody please find a fault with my plan??

I insure a 1.0 ltr Micra with Aviva or Liberty (fully Comp)... Which includes a Drive other cars section...

I get my Father to Insure an Evo 7,... I now have 3rd party on the Evo???

So. ^^^^ will this actually work? .. Or is there a power limit to what i can drive under this rule?

And just in case anyone asks... My father does not mind, he recently sold his car and is now named on my mothers insurance... 41 yrs old , endless ncb blah blah blah,

Also I have read all the info on their respective websites.. and it dosnt list any restrictions...... But come on, it has to be too good to be true...... if ive taught of it... surely they have.....???
    Thanks for reading,
    and apologies if this thread has come up before... ive been lurking back through the pages and didnt find similar.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

I would read the terms and conditions on the driving other cars section as I think last year it was changed to over 25's with full license

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Yup...loads of people do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Grand until u have an accident and the evo is only 3rd party covered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

There may be a restriction to cars of a similar type / power / value on your "driving other cars" extension. This has come up before several times and my last posted comment was some thing like "if you insure an 800cc Micra don't expect you insurer to allow you to drive a Bugatti Veyron you don't own on the driving other cars extension from the Micra".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Third party extenstion is designed for very occasional use of the car, even more so than named driving. If you had a claim that was substantial enough to warrant the insurance company carry out an investigation, and it transpires that you had been taking the piss out of them, then you could well find yourself in a spot of bother. And a 22 year old driving his 41 year old fathers Evo VII is likely to have all sorts of warnings bells going off with the insurer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    Third party extenstion is designed for very occasional use of the car, even more so than named driving. If you had a claim that was substantial enough to warrant the insurance company carry out an investigation, and it transpires that you had been taking the piss out of them, then you could well find yourself in a spot of bother. And a 22 year old driving his 41 year old fathers Evo VII is likely to have all sorts of warnings bells going off with the insurer!

Just out of curiosity - where is the limit between taking the piss out of insurance company and not?

F.e. in my thrid party extension, it doesn't say I can "occasionally" drive other cars. It just says I'm insured to drive other cars, which doesn't belong to me or my employer.

I can't see how insurance company could come to me saying I was taking a piss, even if I drove the same other car (not belonging to me) every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

my insurance company wouldn't quote me on an evo....when i told them i had it already bought and it was sitting outside the house they came back and told me 500 euro more...cost me 1700 to insure the first year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

my insurance company wouldn't quote me on an evo....when i told them i had it already bought and it was sitting outside the house they came back and told me 500 euro more...cost me 1700 to insure the first year

I done the same on a mivec
    Told them I'd just spent 3 grand on buying it and its outside
    300 quid more and they insured me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought that if you have an insurable interest in the car you cant have someone else be the main driver on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Most insurance companies (well all of the ones I've been quoted by) say the open policy ,to drive other cars, is for 25+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I generally can't see too much point in OP's father to insure that EVO anyway.

Whether he will insure it or not, OP most likely will be able to drive it using his third party extension, provided car isn't registered in his name and fullfils other requirements stated in the policy.

CiniO wrote: »

Whether he will insure it or not, OP most likely will be able to drive it using his third party extension, provided car isn't registered in his name and fullfils other requirements stated in the policy.

Fire, theft etc wont be covered by the driving other cars extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

If its still the same as when I was doing it then your father doesn't need to have it insured but it does need to be in his name. Once it had tax/nct and not in my name I was covered..

Just out of curiosity - where is the limit between taking the piss out of insurance company and not?

F.e. in my thrid party extension, it doesn't say I can "occasionally" drive other cars. It just says I'm insured to drive other cars, which doesn't belong to me or my employer.

I can't see how insurance company could come to me saying I was taking a piss, even if I drove the same other car (not belonging to me) every day.

I dont know the ins and outs of it but Im pretty certain its something to do with the policy holder having to be the primary driver.

You would want to have your head examined if you owned a car like an Evo and didnt have it insured against theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Generally, the 'drive other cars' clause is 25+ and less than 1.6. But in that case the person was driving a 1.0L to begin with. Others, it was relative to the car they usual drove i.e. If you drove a 2.5L, then the sky was the limit really. Although I've seen policys where even learners (In this case female), any age, are allowed to drive other cars (But again, an engine size limit)

Frankly even the slowest insurance rep would smell something fishy if a claim came in for a fathers Evo 7 when the son was driving. Unless the father had a history of such cars. Insurance companies arn't stupid. While they'll still pay, they'll probably scale down to the minimum pay out and load the bejesus out of you later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Even with 40++ years and NCB it will cost a lot for your father to insure EVO. Then you will need pay insurance for that 1.0l car. You might as well just get trade insurance.
    Technically, you will be able to drive it, but I bet EVERY single GARDA will throwing your ass on a bonnet and have a wee romantic time. Even if "legally" you can do that, they will make sure to annoy you to death with it. Its one of those "commercial twin turbo supra" things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ironclaw wrote: »
    Generally, the 'drive other cars' clause is 25+ and less than 1.6. But in that case the person was driving a 1.0L to begin with. Others, it was relative to the car they usual drove i.e. If you drove a 2.5L, then the sky was the limit really. Although I've seen policys where even learners (In this case female), any age, are allowed to drive other cars (But again, an engine size limit)

Frankly even the slowest insurance rep would smell something fishy if a claim came in for a fathers Evo 7 when the son was driving. Unless the father had a history of such cars. Insurance companies arn't stupid. While they'll still pay, they'll probably scale down to the minimum pay out and load the bejesus out of you later on.

Insurance companies are not stupid. They will make sure to get each angle to not pay you. Having such "setup" as insurance and then get in to car crash will make Insurance companies life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shaned175

Cheers for all the responses lads.. so what i gather is that it may be possible with some insurance companies..... but keep the ****in thing between the ditches :D

Technically, you will be able to drive it, but I bet EVERY single GARDA will throwing your ass on a bonnet and have a wee romantic time. Even if "legally" you can do that, they will make sure to annoy you to death with it. Its one of those "commercial twin turbo supra" things.

****, I forgot about the Garda element over the whole thing.... il be adding 20 mins to journey times if i do get one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Let's be honest lads, the op isn't thinkin about what happens if he is in a crash, its just to make sure he isn't doing anything illegal. I say if you can pull it off, once its legal go for it and fair play for thinking of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Have you had a look at XS Direct. You will definitely get a quote off them but it will have a very high excess. Can be from 1000 - 3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I would insure the micra, once it's insured I'd call a week later and say you've bought a new car (Evo) and want to change the car on your insurance. A large number of companies will allow you to change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Strituck wrote: »
    Have you had a look at XS Direct. You will definitely get a quote off them but it will have a very high excess. Can be from 1000 - 3000.

The excess as well would probably be offset by not having to purchase Micra plus insurance. As well as that the excess would only be paid if there was an accident but the micra and insurance would have to be paid no matter what with his method.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I would insure the micra, once it's insured I'd call a week later and say you've bought a new car (Evo) and want to change the car on your insurance. A large number of companies will allow you to change

How many?

p.s. If they do allow a substitution it'll cost plenty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

djimi wrote: »
    I dont know the ins and outs of it but Im pretty certain its something to do with the policy holder having to be the primary driver.

This is on the money.

Insurers ask "will you be the main driver?". A deliberate lie here will jeopardise cover. In the case of a young lad driving an Evo on 3rd party extension and a resulting claim you can be absolutely sure they'll investigate.

If the claim is rejected the MIBI will step in, they'll try to recover the amount from the driver, and the driver will find it difficult/expensive/impossible to get cover again.

This is on the money.

Insurers ask "will you be the main driver?". A deliberate lie here will jeopardise cover. In the case of a young lad driving an Evo on 3rd party extension and a resulting claim you can be absolutely sure they'll investigate.

If the claim is rejected the MIBI will step in, they'll try to recover the amount from the driver, and the driver will find it difficult/expensive/impossible to get cover again.

It can't be easy for the insurance company to prove who is the main driver though.

It can't be easy for the insurance company to prove who is the main driver though.

Arguable. In the circumstances I've outlined it wouldn't be that difficult.

"Did 22 y.o. drive to work every day, and if so in what car?"

1. They dont have to quote you anything remotely sensible to change (ie they can turn around and ask for €4000 for the rest fo the year) and

2. They dont have to renew at the end of the current year, leaving you stuck with a car that you cannot afford to insure.

I know of a couple of people who got caught out with this. I would never buy a car unless I was 100% certain that I could get insured on it.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest lads, the op isn't thinkin about what happens if he is in a crash, its just to make sure he isn't doing anything illegal. .

Ya this is kinda what im gettin at here....... Famous last words, but im not under any illusions that im colin mcrae re-incarnated, so i dont intend on rallying it around the countryside every day......taking risks and what have you

Also, i wouldnt dream of driving the evo up and down to work,,... the linchpin in all of this... the "Micra"... would be MY main car, as in id be driving it more than the Evo.... Evo would be left for Weekends and shur... if the father wants to he can drive at as much as he wants..........

still tho... havin a claim in it would be an absolute nightmare

Advertisement