Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ v France series thread

Options
  • 02-06-2013 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

8 June, Auckland, 0835 (followed by Lions v Reds)
    15 June, Christchurch, 0835 (followed by Lions v Tahs)
    22 June, New Plymouth, 0835 (followed by Lions v Aussie)

NZ preview

FORWARDS
    • LH props: Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury), Ben Franks (Hawkes Bay), Tony Woodcock (North Harbour)
    • Hookers: Dane Coles (Wellington), Andrew Hore (Taranaki), Keven Mealamu (Auckland)
    • TH props: Ben Afeaki (North Harbour), Owen Franks (Canterbury)
    • Locks: Brodie Retallick (Bay of Plenty), Luke Romano (Canterbury), Jeremy Thrush (Wellington), Sam Whitelock (Canterbury)
    • Backrows: Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty), Steven Luatua (Auckland), Liam Messam (Waikato), Kieran Read (Canterbury), Victor Vito (Wellington), Matt Todd (Canterbury)

BACKS
    • Halfbacks: Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Waikato), Aaron Smith (Manawatu), Piri Weepu (Auckland), Beauden Barrett (Taranaki), Daniel Carter (Canterbury), Aaron Cruden (Manawatu)
    • Centres: Ma'a Nonu (Wellington), Rene Ranger (Northland), Francis Saili (North Harbour), Conrad Smith (Wellington)
    • Wingers: Charles Piutau (Auckland), Julian Savea (Wellington)
    • Fullbacks: Israel Dagg (Hawkes Bay), Ben Smith (Otago)

INJURED: Charlie Faumauina, Dominic Bird, Cory Jane

Steve Hansen has chosen a fairly predictable side, blending youth & experience, as he continues to rejuvenate the team he inherited from Graham Henry. There is pressure on Woodcock & Hore, in particular, to show that they shouldn't be put out to pasture. Dane Coles has been chosen as the 3rd hooker, but I don't rate him, and I reckon some of the up & coming hookers will displace him in the next 18 months. The uncapped Ben Afeaki is an exciting prospect.

The locks pick themselves, while in the loosies, Sam Cane has a chance to show he's the Real McCaw. Steven Luatua will be looking to put pressure on Messam & Vito, he's been one of the finds of the season, although has slightly plateaued with the Blues' loss of form in recent weeks.

Aaron Smith can't even make the Highlanders starting line-up, but has been retained, along with Tawera Kerr-Barlow who was very ordinary on the end of year tour. A missed opportunity to blood the exciting TJ Perenara.

Aaron Cruden has arguably been in better form than Dan, while in the midfield Nonu has had a forgettable season with the Highlanders. Nonu & Smith will start the 1st test, but Ranger in particular will be hoping to impress - whether he is actually off to Montpellier or not is a closely guarded secret that even the Vatican would be proud of.

Finally, for me the most interesting selection will be whether Ben Smith is rewarded for his stellar SXV season with a start at 15 ahead of Israel Dagg, who seems to be in cruise mode this season.

French preview (with thanks to Thomond2006, cheers mate!)

FORWARDS
    • LH Props: Eddy Ben Arous (Racing-Métro), Vincent Debaty (Clermont), Thomas Domingo (Clermont),
    • Hookers: Guilhem Guirado (Perpignan), Benjamin Kayser (Clermont), Dimitri Szarzewski (Racing-Métro),
    • TH Props: Luc Ducalcon (Clermont), Daniel Kotze (Clermont), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan),
    • Locks: Alexandre Flanquart (Stade Français), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Christophe Samson (Castres), Sébastien Vahaamahina (Perpignan),
    • Backrows: Yannick Nyanga (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse, cap.), Bernard Le Roux (Racing-Métro), Antonie Claassen (Castres), Louis Picamoles (Toulouse).

BACKS
    • Halfbacks: Maxime Machenaud (Racing-Métro), Jean-Marc Doussain (Toulouse), Frédéric Michalak (Toulon), Camille Lopez (Bordeaux-Bègles), Rémi Talès (Castres),
    • Centres: Mathieu Bastareaud (Toulon), Gael Fickou (Toulouse), Wesley Fofana (Clermont), Florian Fritz (Toulouse), Maxime Mermoz (Toulon),
    • Wingers: Maxime Médard (Toulouse), Noa Nakaitaci (Clermont), Marc Andreu (Castres), Adrien Planté (Perpignan),
    • Fullbacks: Brice Dulin (Castres), Yoann Huget (Touloluse).

INJURED: Pascal Papé (Stade Francais), Morgan Parra (Clermont), Alexis Palisson (Toulon), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse)

Following a poor Six Nations, nobody would give France much of a chance going down to New Zealand for three tests. However France has been New Zealand's bogey team in recent years, and with nothing to lose they are a dangerous proposition. Top 14 champions' Castres' form has been recognised with Remi Tales, Marc Andreu and Brice Dulin joining their teammates Antoine Claassen and Christophe Samson in the panel.

A main talking point of the squad is the presence of non-French players who have earned the right to play for France through residency. South Africans Daniel Kotze and Bernard Le Roux and Fijian Noa Nakaitaci have all played in France for three years which allows them to qualify for the national team, similar to Richardt Strauss and Ireland. This is a trend that should continue into the future, as France's foreign player restrictions only dictate that a proportion of a team's squad must have been developed through a French academy system, making no reference to a nationality. Therefore French clubs can sign young foreign players that in a few years will count as French produced, some of those players may then decide to declare for France rather than their country of birth. For a player like Nakaitaci, playing for France would be more lucrative than playing for Fiji.

One major issue for Phillipe Saint-Andre to address is at flyhalf, a position that has a nagging issue for years. Montpellier's Francois Trinh-Duc has been dropped and Camille Lopez and Remi Tales have been called up. Lopez (24) was Bordeaux's key player in their successful fight against relegation and will be at Perpignan next year, Tales (29) steered Castres to a first Top14 title in twenty years. Both are untested at international level but will get their chance on this tour and Saint-Andre will be desperate for one or both players to display ability at international level, as Freddy Michalak is clearly not the answer. Both Doussain and Michalak can play 9 & 10, which may allow Saint-Andre to put two outside backs on the bench.

My player to watch out for in this French squad is Brice Dulin. The 23 year old fullback was France's first choice in last year's autumn series but missed the Six Nations through injury. He seems to possess all the qualities of a good fullback: pace, a big boot and aerial prowess. Since returning from injury he has been in excellent form and impressed in the Top14 final. While he lacks the height and bulk of Yoann Huget, he is more exciting in attack.

Providing Saint-Andre selects well, something he did not do in the Six Nations, France are capable of putting it up to anyone with the talent they have. If they lack cohesiveness and a game plan then a clinical team like New Zealand will cut them apart. Being their usual unknown quantity, if France can start one of the tests well then their natural swagger will manifest itself and all bets will be off!

Possible French 23:
    Domingo, Szarzewski, Mas, Maestri, Samson, Dusautoir, Ouedraogo, Picamoles;
    Machenaud, Tales, Médard, Fofana, Bastareaud, Huget, Dulin

Bench: Kayser, Débaty, Ducalcon, Vahaamahina, Claassen, Michalak, Nakaitaci, Andreu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Cant wait....looking forward to seeing the all blacks back in action

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

great series, france 1 of a few that have the power to beat the new zealand.

anyone know when the S15 is over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Pour nos amis français du site

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xf0ggn_rugby-essai-du-bout-du-monde-nz-fra_webcam#.UatnjmT71m1

It just sounds better in French ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Looking forward to the series, I expect France to step up and take the AB's on up front. It will also be interesting to see how they get on without McCaw.

The most mouthwatering clash will be Fofana up against Conrad Smith though.

Looking forward to the series, I expect France to step up and take the AB's on up front. It will also be interesting to see how they get on without McCaw.

The most mouthwatering clash will be Fofana up against Conrad Smith though.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Fofana (not unusual in this regard, of course) - he's probably the world's top 12 at the moment, and could certainly cement that with a big display against Nonu.

I just hope the real France turns up, but they usually do when they come to NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Some of the indifferent performances by the NZ S15 teams this season, plus the dip in form of Dan Carter and Israel Dagg, the absence of Richie McCaw, leaves me a little concerned but then I always am. Relieved when the boys win, and gutted when they lose, I'm hoping France will have their asses handed to them and normal service will resume.

As an aside, it's good to see Piri Weepu has been kept for the sake of the Haka anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Should Toulon and Castres players be rested for the first test as hinted, in that case PSA would be left with:

FORWARDS
    LH Props: Eddy Ben Arous (Racing-Métro), Vincent Debaty (Clermont), Thomas Domingo (Clermont),
    Hookers: Guilhem Guirado (Perpignan), Benjamin Kayser (Clermont), Dimitri Szarzewski (Racing-Métro),
    TH Props: Luc Ducalcon (Clermont), Daniel Kotze (Clermont), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan),
    Locks: Alexandre Flanquart (Stade Français), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Sébastien Vahaamahina (Perpignan),
    Backrows: Yannick Nyanga (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse, cap.), Bernard Le Roux (Racing-Métro), Louis Picamoles (Toulouse).

BACKS
    Halfbacks: Maxime Machenaud (Racing-Métro), Jean-Marc Doussain (Toulouse), Camille Lopez (Bordeaux-Bègles),
    Centres: Gael Fickou (Toulouse), Wesley Fofana (Clermont), Florian Fritz (Toulouse),
    Wingers: Maxime Médard (Toulouse), Noa Nakaitaci (Clermont), Adrien Planté (Perpignan),
    Fullbacks: Yoann Huget (Touloluse).

The pack is relatively unaffected but there's a lot of absentees in the backs. It would be a chance for Camille Lopez to nail down the 10 jersey with Michalak and Tales not selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Swiwi wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Fofana (not unusual in this regard, of course) - he's probably the world's top 12 at the moment, and could certainly cement that with a big display against Nonu.

I just hope the real France turns up, but they usually do when they come to NZ.

As class as forfana is, he's not just as good as nonu, that man is a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

M three wrote: »

You're spot on! Having been born so big most have taken some amount of sk- oh wait.

M three wrote: »

Have you watched Nonu lately. He is a shadow of his former self. He hasn't shown any glimpse of form all season. I would argue that Ranger should be there in front of him.

That all blacks team doesn't look as strong as it had in recent years. Not too many stand out players this year compared to other years.

The outside backs are nowhere near the greats the all blacks have produced in recent years. Guys such as Savea haven't performed to their potential when he first set on the scene. Dagg has occasionaly been dropped for the crusaders. Piutau has been playing well but needs more tries.

If France can shake off their dismal 6 nations and show the form they are capable off, they will give the all blacks a real run for their money. I would expect France to win the scrum battle. Get their line outs in order and it'll be a real contest.

But you never know this is the all blacks we're talking about here. Beating the all blacks in their own back yard is a big ask for anyone.

• Advertisement

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Have you watched Nonu lately. He is a shadow of his former self. He hasn't shown any glimpse of form all season. I would argue that Ranger should be there in front of him.

That all blacks team doesn't look as strong as it had in recent years. Not too many stand out players this year compared to other years.

The outside backs are nowhere near the greats the all blacks have produced in recent years. Guys such as Savea haven't performed to their potential when he first set on the scene. Dagg has occasionaly been dropped for the crusaders. Piutau has been playing well but needs more tries.

If France can shake off their dismal 6 nations and show the form they are capable off, they will give the all blacks a real run for their money. I would expect France to win the scrum battle. Get their line outs in order and it'll be a real contest.

But you never know this is the all blacks we're talking about here. Beating the all blacks in their own back yard is a big ask for anyone.

I'm reserving judgement until after Saturday. Sometimes a star team is better than a team of stars, but I agree that there is no "Christian Cullen" in this team. I'm not worried about the AB front row, France always talk themselves up in this regard, but I struggle to think of a dominant French scrumming performance against the AB in recent years.

I look forward to seeing how some of the new French players that I know little about perform. Talès, Lopez etc.

I guess I should nail my colours to the mast, and choose my first test XV. Always intriguing to see how one goes.

From 15-1: BSMith, Piutau, CSmith, Nonu, Savea, Carter, Weepu, Read, Cane, Messam, Retallick, Romano, OFranks, Mealamu, BFranks

Reserves: Ranger, Cruden, ASmith, Vito, Thrush, Afeaki, Hore, Woodcock

No doubt Dagg will be in the 23, but not on merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Both Dan Carter and Piri Weepu are doubtful for the 1st Test due to injury.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10888119

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

GiftofGab wrote: »

Nonu always seems to do this though play badly in Super Rugby and up it for the tests, it's the same with Dagg.

Also New Zealand have Ben Smith and therefore are unstoppable.

Having said that pretty sure the last time N.Z. didn't have Carter and McCaw against France was in 09...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

does anyone know what channel the tests are being shown on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Seanbass wrote: »
    does anyone know what channel the tests are being shown on?

They're on Sky Sports not sure which exact channel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

oh really? fantastic, I thought they'd be on setanta or something,
    thanks.

Well, mes amis francais will be happy to know DC is highly unlikely to play this week. Ditto for Weepu & Woodcock. But apparently Ben Smith is actually starting. Shock! Horror! It looks as if it'll be on the wing, but still it's better than nothing. Dagg you've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

From the latest training session according to lequipe.fr the starting XV should look like this :

Huget ; Planté, Fritz, Fofana, Médard ; (o) Lopez, (m) Machenaud ; Dusautoir, Picamoles, Ouedraogo ; Maestri, Vahaamahina ; Ducalcon, Szarzewski, Domingo.

BoarHunter wrote: »
    From the latest training session according to lequipe.fr the starting XV should look like this :

Huget ; Planté, Fritz, Fofana, Médard ; (o) Lopez, (m) Machenaud ; Dusautoir, Picamoles, Ouedraogo ; Maestri, Vahaamahina ; Ducalcon, Szarzewski, Domingo.

Would you be happy with that BoarHunter?

• Advertisement

Without the Toulon and Castres players there's little to decide in that lineup!

NZ team named:

ALL BLACKS: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Keven Mealamu Ben Afeaki, Ben Franks, Jeremy Thrush, Victor Vito, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Rene Ranger

It's entirely predictable except Dane Coles at hooker. That's a bolter, and unexpected. He's only just back from injury, and I really am surprised. Well, Dane, here's your chance to make me eat my words! Disappointed Ben Smith on the wing, but I guess Dagg is the incumbent. Wyatt Crockett better take his chance, because Ben Franks has been in fine fettle with the Canes.

AB coach Hansen

"We all know how the French can play. The only predictable thing about them is their unpredictability so we will have to be ready for whatever they throw at us."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

NZ team named:

ALL BLACKS: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (c), Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Keven Mealamu Ben Afeaki, Ben Franks, Jeremy Thrush, Victor Vito, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Beauden Barrett, Rene Ranger

It's entirely predictable except Dane Coles at hooker. That's a bolter, and unexpected. He's only just back from injury, and I really am surprised. Well, Dane, here's your chance to make me eat my words! Disappointed Ben Smith on the wing, but I guess Dagg is the incumbent. Wyatt Crockett better take his chance, because Ben Franks has been in fine fettle with the Canes.

AB coach Hansen

"We all know how the French can play. The only predictable thing about them is their unpredictability so we will have to be ready for whatever they throw at us."

Are there any players challenging Nonu for 12?I've been told he hasn't been playing that well for the Highlanders this year.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Are there any players challenging Nonu for 12?I've been told he hasn't been playing that well for the Highlanders this year.

The other 12 in the squad is the Blues' Francis Saili. But he's pretty raw and untested. 12 is a problem for NZ. I think Tamati Ellison would have been selected, but after returning to NZ from Japan because the rugby "was too easy", he's now returning to Japan because "the rugby is easier". Maybe Rene Ranger could get a run there. Maybe SBW might come back from Japan. There's also a guy called Bundee Aki with the Chiefs who looks promising for the future, but at the moment 12 is definitely a weak spot for NZ. In saying that, Nonu will probably come good, as he's done for the last couple of years after terrible SXV form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

This team has now been confirmed. Yes i think it's a good combination. Will be a big test for ducalcon. For the rest it's solid. It all depends if they click as a team because the blacks have a system in place no matter the players.

BoarHunter wrote: »
    This team has now been confirmed. Yes i think it's a good combination. Will be a big test for ducalcon. For the rest it's solid. It all depends if they click as a team because the blacks have a system in place no matter the players.

Dan Carter is out for the 2nd test as well, so that's a help for you guys. I'm looking pretty forward to this weekend. Not sure whether to get my boss to start late morning so I can see the ABs live, or an early start, so I can catch the Reds v Lions live. Luckily with modern technology, I'll still be a able to watch both games at some stage :)

France:
    15 Yoann Huget, 14 Adrien Plante, 13 Florian Fritz, 12 Wesley Fofana, 11 Maxime Medard, 10 Camille Lopez, 9 Maxime Machenaud,
    8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Fulgence Ouedraogo, 6 Thierry Dusautoir (c), 5 Yoann Maestri, 4 Sebastien Vahaamahina, 3 Luc Ducalcon, 2 Dimitri Szarzewski, 1 Thomas Domingo

Replacements: 16 Guilhem Guirado, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Daniel Kotze, 19 Akexandre Flanquart, 20 Yannick Nyanga, 21 Jean-Marc Doussain, 22 Frederic Michalak, 23 Maxime Mermoz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8759227,00.html

Barnes is reffing is there still a bounty on his head in NZ ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_8759227,00.html

Barnes is reffing is there still a bounty on his head in NZ ?

I hate to say it, but NZ are poor losers at times. If France are leading, I expect a few idiots in the crowd will be firing up. I don't actually mind him too much as a ref, but I do think he somewhat freezes around reffing the tackle ball/ruck area in big matches.

I'd rather Barnes than Clancey or Poite.

• Advertisement

Carter mentioned on twitter that he is out of first test with a broken hand. Cruden is still a valuable replacement.

Edit: woops I'm extremely late on the carter news. :(

Advertisement