Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2013

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

casio4 wrote: »
    all over the entertainment news yesterday, Brucie said he rang Tess to tell her before announcing it and she was crying down the phone bless her(his words not mine:D)

Tears of joy, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

all over the entertainment news yesterday, Brucie said he rang Tess to tell her before announcing it and she was crying down the phone bless her(his words not mine:D)

Yes it's been confirmed that Bruce has left, but not that Claudia is replacing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

all over the entertainment gossip news yesterday, Brucie said he rang Tess to tell her before announcing it and she was crying down the phone bless her(his words not mine:D)

FYP. ;);)

The BBC is one of the few companies that does proper, official entertainment news - so I think I'll wait for it to report on Bruce's successor. ;)

(I think that's a slightly more appropriate word than "replacement" in this situation, BTW. :o;))

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Claudia Winkleman has been tipped to replace Bruce (not confirmed yet)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Claudia Winkleman has been tipped to replace succeed Bruce (not confirmed yet)

I don't know why, but I just feel that it doesn't sound right to say that Bruce will be "replaced" and that the next presenter will be his "replacement"...

:o:o:o:);)

I'd like Claudia to be his successor, too, for reasons I've previously stated:
    Assuming that the Beeb weren't willing to replace Bruce with another senior man, then I have to agree, Claudia would be the best replacement for him.

We could suggest all the younger male presenters in the world, and no doubt a fair few of them would do a decent job.

But very few of them would know this show like the backs of their hands, as Claudia undoubtedly does. And very few of them would possess wit and sparkle in seemingly endless quantities, as she does. And very, very few would have both of these qualities, as, well, she does...

But if Auntie chooses to remain bureaucratic and insists upon someone with a Y chromosome - and that someone is also aged under 60 - then Claudia's future on the show would quite likely be thrown into uncertainty. :(

The new guy would almost certainly host the results shows with Tess, and Claudia has previously said that Zoe is better at It Takes Two than she (Claudia) could ever be.

(I'm fairly sure that it was her decision to leave ITT and concentrate on the results shows. And in any case, she's far too nice. :))

So where would she go? Unless she returned to ITT to form a double act with Zoe, but I don't think that show would work quite as well with two presenters...

• Advertisement

And yes, I know I said "replace Bruce" there - but that was four months ago, when I didn't think that this series would be his last and thus I didn't have the feeling that I have now. :o:o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd vote for Claudia to succeed (:D) Bruce. For sure.

And if not, to get rid of Zoe, who's put me right off ITT, and to have Claudia back doing that - I thought she was ten times better than Ms. Ball, who just irritates me (can't justify that though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A big fat no to Anton anyways please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

John Barrowman, Graham Norton, Anton du Beke and Claudia are the four front runners according to the meeja.

In order of preference for me:

Claudia
    Graham Norton
    John Barrowman
    Anton du Beke

-

If they want a former dancer, get Darren, Ian or Matthew.

Incidentally, Graham and Claudia hosted the two Eurovision Dance Contests.

Claudia+Winkleman+Graham+Norton+Eurovision+UvO3K7wQtVrl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Claudia confirmed as co-host with Tess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing

Nice one :D:D

Here's what the Telegraph's Michael Hogan has to say:
    Prepare for a rash of headlines about “Girl power” and “Frock wars”, followed by a flurry of moans about over-long fringes and smudged black eyeliner. Claudia Winkleman has been officially confirmed as the new presenter of Strictly Come Dancing and will co-host the BBC ballroom franchise with long-serving Tess Daly.

Since Sir Bruce Forsyth stepped down last month, speculation has been rife about who would fill the veteran’s tap shoes. Many assumed the Beeb would stick with a male/female combination, so the likes of Graham Norton and Anton Du Beke emerged as bookies’ favourites.

Winkleman, however, has been waiting in the wings for a decade. For six years, she hosted spin-off programme It Takes Two. When Forsyth reduced his workload three series ago by skipping the Sunday night results shows, Winkleman took over alongside Daly. She has also filled in on the main Saturday show during the 86-year-old’s increasingly frequent weeks off.

Always the bridesmaid and now the bride, Winkleman thoroughly deserves this promotion. She’s a genuine talent who has been consistently funny, engagingly enthusiastic and has proved popular, especially with younger and female viewers.

Winkleman has presented a primetime dance contest before, albeit a less serious one, having hosted two series of Let’s Dance for Comic Relief. She has steadily worked her way up the TV ladder since 1991 and currently hosts Film 2014, The Great British Sewing Bee and a weekly arts show on Radio 2.

She and Daly will form the first all-female presenting team on Saturday night television. BBC director Danny Cohen has been keen to promote female faces during primetime and also pledged to end all-male panel shows, so presumably he gave full approval to this appointment.

The duo’s duties will be split. Daly will be under the fabled glitterball, introducing the routines and probing the judging panel for their comments, before handing over to Winkleman up on the balcony, where she will do the post-dance interviews and get reaction to the judges’ scores. This role will suit her down to the ground: she’s great with people, has a quirky way with a question and her ready wit will come into its own.

Both women are in their 40s and their contrasting fashion sense could also be a talking point. Winkleman’s style tends toward the grungey: she’s partial to peeping through her fringe with smoky eyes. Her simple shift dresses and chic trouser suits should prove a counterpoint to the more conventionally glamorous Daly’s gowns.

Will the pair strike a pose at the start of the show, like Forsyth and Daly did? Will they continue to go into ballroom hold for the “keeeeeep dancing” sign-off? Will they coin new catchphrases to fill the hole left by Forsyth?

All these vital questions will be answered when the series returns this autumn. Strictly will seem strange without Brucie but Winkleman should prove a worthy replacement. It will be nice to see her, to see her nice.

The paper also has a poll asking if Claudia is the best replacement for Bruce - of the 2,000 people that have voted up to the time of this post, 71% of them say yes. ;)

Tristan MacManus and Joanne Clifton are joining this year and Natalie is returning.
    James Jordan and Artem are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A quick Google tells me that Tristan was born in Wicklow.

And Joanne is from Grimsby :pac:
    (i.e. Kevin's brother)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

When you said Natalie, I had no idea who you were talking about. Completely forgot about dancer Natalie. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

RosyLily wrote: »
    When you said Natalie, I had no idea who you were talking about. Completely forgot about dancer Natalie. :pac:

I was thinking please don't let it be Natalie that competed last year, I can't take another season of her!!
    Thank god u meant professional dancer Natalie.
    I'm glad artem and James are going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'll miss Artem and James :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

vitani wrote: »
    I'll miss Artem and James :(

I will miss Anya from the show, thought she brought a lot of extra talent and sparkle. Wonder why she wasn't given another chance this year?

Will also miss Artem too, how could you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

James I can certainly live without, and Artem too.

But I thought Anya was brilliant - I've watched that Chitty Charleston about a million times! Very sorry to hear that she won't be on this time :mad:

And delighted that Claudia got the gig. I think they'll be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I know it is a dance show and Artem is a good dancer, he really had no personality. During interviews or on It take two he would just be beside his partner smiling, not contributing much.

Not surprised about James going, didn't slag off the show and judges after he went out last year. Don't bite the hand that feeds, James!! ;)

• Advertisement

Not surprised about James going, didn't slag off the show and judges after he went out last year. Don't bite the hand that feeds, James!! ;)

He's made plenty of snide comments online since it was announced that he won't be back this year!

EDIT: a few of his Twitter comments have consisted of:
    "WELL TWEEPS
    Yes it's true I WILL NOT be returning to 'BURN THE FLOOR'.... Sorry, I mean 'Strictly Come Dancing'
    However........

........do not believe everything the BBC have written in their statment

"@bbcstrictly: It'll be sad not having Artem and @The_JamesJordan around. Best of luck. We'll miss you #scd#sadtimes"
    So why sack me?

Advertisement