Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

snubbleste wrote: »
    Cookes Corner shop being refitted. Paint job being done today and signage being put up. Dunno what it is

It's converted into a number of serviced office suites for rent by Kevin Bracken.

I think it's going to be called the Bracken Enterprise Centre.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's converted into a number of serviced office suites for rent by Kevin Bracken.
    I think it's going to be called the Bracken Enterprise Centre.
    But it's tiny, isn't it? aaaaaaand Where will people park?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There is car parking out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I think they've a deal done with St Marys so you'd get a permit to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Barna Gifts on Mainguard St closed. (they had a closing down sale on Saturday at least).

Former phone repair shop on the ground floor of Eyre Square centre is being set up as Fun Tech (I think thats the name). Not sure what they sell.

Small place next to the Pro Cabs office on Eyre Square also been fitted out, looks like a reception desk at the front and consulting rooms down the corridor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Barna Gifts on Mainguard St closed. (they had a closing down sale on Saturday at least.

Yea, saw it on facebook, I was in their on Friday around lunchtime, place was bananas. Picked up a few bits, everything was half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The unit that used to be Mangans cash and carry(beside Warehouse gym) in ballybane has new decals up "Jump Lanes indoor trampoline centre"

They have a place in Limerick already

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

D Trent wrote: »
    The unit that used to be Mangans cash and carry(beside Warehouse gym) in ballybane has new decals up "Jump Lanes indoor trampoline centre"

They have a place in Limerick already

They have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Cash Converters / Cash Creators places in Eglington and Mary Streets have combined. Mary St shop is closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

WestIrelandCycling is closed :(
    permanently.
    This is most disheartening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah gutted to hear that, they always seemed busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Modern Music beside Charlie Bryne's seems to be shut. Sad if it is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

permanently.

Brought in a bike with a puncture to them before and it took them at least 4 attempts to fix it. Only reason it worked the last time was because I checked the tyre and found the glass that was causing the issue. They obviously never bothered checking, just switched out the inner tube. Then had to have a 10 min row with the guy about payment (had already paid for at least 3 puncture repairs and they said there'd be no charge if it happened again), the highlight of which was him trying to stab an old tyre with a screwdriver. Back to Walshes in Woodquay for me. Never had any issues with them.

It's a pity their closed, but if that was a representative of their repair skills and customer service, it's not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

permanently.

Ah no, they were always quick with repairs and seemed to charge much over the cost of parts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭what_traffic

permanently.
    Owner passed away recently. He had a Bike Touring Company as well - brought alot of business to the rural area's of Connemara and the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Gamestop in eyre sq centre gutted today as i was passing it...not sure if its closed or just renovations...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Nothing happens in Salthill for yonks and then the old AIB building becomes a development site as does the Warwick and the former Pointe Boise building is becoming a hostel.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Gamestop in eyre sq centre gutted today as i was passing it...not sure if its closed or just renovations...
    Thats there a long time, sad to see it go but only nostalgia reasons, tbh game shops are no different to HMV/Zhivagos to me and most people I know these days, completely overpriced and irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Thargor wrote: »
    completely overpriced and irrelevant.

I wouldn't blame the guy running the Gamestop in Galway for that. The publishers and console manufacturers were setting the prices and places like GameStop were seeing very little of it.

With sales having moved largely to digital over the last few years, the second hand market which is where they probably made the actual money, has been cannibalised.

I think stuff like 3rd party peripherals were being pushed more and more due to the profit that could be made on them versus official stuff with little margin. Online shopping is so much a part of everyday life now that I'd say there are were many people going in there looking for gifts as there were people who were the end user of what was purchased.

The last time I bought anything there was a Steam card as a gift and that must be two years ago now at least.

They werent a very pleasant business model once 2/3 of the shops became dedicated to secondhand games, thats basically stealing other peoples work, the people who made those games never saw any of those profits from those apart from the first time it was bought, after that it could do 5-6 or more trips back to Gamestop with them pocketing the money each time and the company that made it getting nothing but lost customers. Sympathy for the staff but no big loss to gaming imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Maybe they shouldn't have started charging €60 for a game then. The second you start charging too much you will create a whole industry which will attempt to circumvent you leading to a lovely viscous circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

In Galway, Argos and Smyths Toys were consistently cheaper than Gamestop for new-release games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

They werent a very pleasant business model once 2/3 of the shops became dedicated to secondhand games, thats basically stealing other peoples work, the people who made those games never saw any of those profits from those apart from the first time it was bought, after that it could do 5-6 or more trips back to Gamestop with them pocketing the money each time and the company that made it getting nothing but lost customers. Sympathy for the staff but no big loss to gaming imo.

You could say the same about second hand book and record stores, used car dealers, done deal and eBay. It makes an expensive product affordable for those willing or forced to wait to buy a product. I purchased a few games there that I couldn't justify buying otherwise. Your argument is quite frankly, nonsense.

Bigger brains than you and I seem to agree with my nonsense argument though dont they? It'll be total digital distribution soon like Steam and the next generation of consoles probably wont even have disk drives, Gamespot and the rest will be dead and the people who make the product will be the only ones making money on it, all those non-software products you listed would sell their children for the opportunity to do the same with their products.

Bigger brains than you and I seem to agree with my nonsense argument though dont they? It'll be total digital distribution soon like Steam and the next generation of consoles probably wont even have disk drives, Gamespot and the rest will be dead and the people who make the product will be the only ones making money on it, all those non-software products you listed would sell their children for the opportunity to do the same with their products.

Speak for your own brain lad.
    Game developers get their cut from the initial sale and their customers get a chance to get some of their outlay back through stores like GameStop ( and eBay, donedeal etc). Gamers get some cash back ( and from what I've seen, spend it on new games, which goes into developers coffers) So the developer never loses out.
    Gaming may well go the route of the music industry and go digital download, but that'll drive more people( who can't spend €60+ on a game) to find illegal sources for their gaming needs. If that starts, more and more games will be accessed illegally, less money will find its way to the developer(remember them) and a possible degrading of the industry.
    But ya, second-hand stored are toxic.

Nope, they spend it on more secondhand games, thats why you get more store credit than you do cash when you trade a game, The industry didnt really care about secondhand games for decades until the likes of Gamestop and CEX perfected the current toxic model:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-12-the-real-cost-of-used-games

Gamestop isnt even cheap, new games these days are often only a few Euro more expensive than a traded in one where no money goes to the people who made it, same for in CEX, they're a <snip> company and the industry is better off without them, it was beginning to affect what type of games were being developed and all sorts of other unintended consequences, they took it too far and the industry had to act.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Take your arguments about second hand gaming elsewhere, you're clogging up this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed

Apologies. Not normally a thread hijacker.
    Never like to see any(legal) business close down. The lost income for the employees is bad enough, but seeing something you've put time, effort and money in to crumbling around you must be soul destroying.
    On a tangent, don't know if it was posted before, but there is a new cafe open in Renmore, down beside the pharmacy. The Full Duck.Not been in yet, but hopefully over the weekend.Wish them well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,930 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Odd name for a café if you're not careful it could get known as the Dull F***

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement