Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got a flier during the week. Well priced thai food (for now). We're big fans of Thai Garden but with the introductory prices I'd be curious to compare.

Any chance you'd take a pic of the flier, or scan it? Would be interested in trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I noticed today that there is work (possibly just clean up) being done on what used to be the Oasis nightclub beside the old Warwick in Salthill, (it used to be The Lenaboy waaaaayyyy back when, then it was a lapdancing place, maybe?) (yes, I am ooooolllllllddddd)

Are the City Council cracking down on derelict buildings? (the old Davoren's butcher's in Shantalla has workers/demolishers in after how many years?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Any they've told me in 37 West that it's going into Lynchs. The owner of 37 West used to manage Lynchs.

Oh, I'd be kind of disappointed to see Lynches gone. 37 West seems nice but it's menu is a little limited in mass appeal compared to Lynches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Oh, I'd be kind of disappointed to see Lynches gone. 37 West seems nice but it's menu is a little limited in mass appeal compared to Lynches.

I thought the same (even though I like the 37 West menu) and they told me that the menu in the new place will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As some have mentioned the international pub chain McGettigan's will be opening on June 18 in the old Bentley premises.

The Stage Door in Woodquay will be reopening as a bar/restaurant in coming months also. Under a new name I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When did Galway Curry House on Mary St. become Galway Kebab&Pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

I thought they were the same crowd, along with Tasty Macs, they are all under same address on just eat anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How can the same restaurant promote itself under three different names?
    I had someone looking for Galway Curry House yesterday and they couldn't find it on Mary St.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Maybe it's just that mass appeal is changing? I don't really know anything about that sorta stuff though, I just like to eat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭jkforde

Eeden wrote: »
    Are the City Council cracking down on derelict buildings? (the old Davoren's butcher's in Shantalla has workers/demolishers in after how many years?)

yeah, I noticed a couple of sites - one on Eglinton canal below Wards got cleaned up under enforcement and another site near the Warwick had an enforcement notice on it...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    How can the same restaurant promote itself under three different names?
    I had someone looking for Galway Curry House yesterday and they couldn't find it on Mary St.

Aye, they shouldn't allow this kind of practice, but it seems to be quite common
    on just eat. Alfredos Kebab House and Galway Tandoori are under the same address as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Aye, they shouldn't allow this kind of practice, but it seems to be quite common
    on just eat. Alfredos Kebab House and Galway Tandoori are under the same address as well.

Same with Florence and Student Pizza Corner on Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aye, they shouldn't allow this kind of practice, but it seems to be quite common on just eat.

It's just branding. No different to having two different tins of baked beans of the supermarket shelf, no difference on the inside but different labels on the outside - people are willing to pay more for the perceived "higher quality" brand of product.

If fools part with more of the money, that's their lookout. Provided no one's telling actual lies about what they're selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

New place called 'Tribeton' opening somewhere in Galway.
    Looks like a pub/restaurant/venue.

http://tribeton.ie/

Any ideas as to where?

Would it be what's going into the old Stage Door?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

aw wrote: »

Any ideas as to where?

Is it supposed to be pronounced Try Bet On, Tribe Ton(weight measurement), crap name. Website is irritating too, links are all obsolete along the bottom of it, a basic web design fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Is it supposed to be pronounced Try Bet On, Tribe Ton(weight measurement), crap name. Website is irritating too, links are all obsolete along the bottom of it, a basic web design fail.

I heard from source that it's a new betting shop run by Triton showers but jesus don't quite me now lads

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

aw wrote: »

Any ideas as to where?

The website uses the same tagline as the cocktail bar in the G Hotel. Should be interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

serfboard wrote: »
    The former Davoren's butchers, on Shantalla Road, has been demolished.

Interestingly, I can't find any planning application requesting demolition permission - the only thing I can find is this application, which mentions the "renovation of existing derelict buildings" but nothing about demolition?

It's fascinating to see behind Davorens now that it's gone. It looks like an old chapel behind there, which I'm sure is part of Fort Eyre. It would be interesting to see more of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Delicia wrote: »
    The website uses the same tagline as the cocktail bar in the G Hotel. Should be interesting?

I note the fb page 'likes' the Edward hotel group which has the G and Meyrick in Galway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Would anyone know the opening times of vinnies pizza please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

molly09 wrote: »
    Would anyone know the opening times of vinnies pizza please?
    I think you got this thread wrong but here
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vinnies/134370163301025
    Open today 4:00pm - 3:00am
    http://www.vinnies.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Sorry, I did post in the wrong place, I spend ages googling and could not find that webpage, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No probs, enjoy the pizza :)

It's just branding. No different to having two different tins of baked beans of the supermarket shelf, no difference on the inside but different labels on the outside - people are willing to pay more for the perceived "higher quality" brand of product.

If fools part with more of the money, that's their lookout. Provided no one's telling actual lies about what they're selling.

That's a silly comparison IMO. It's not selling the same food under different labels is it? How can Indian food be the same as Kebabs and pizzas?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Is Mizzonis closed as well??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

O'Leary's in Salthill is currently being done up. Dunno what's going in there, but someone on this thread mentioned Tesco Express a long time ago ...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

serfboard wrote: »
    O'Leary's in Salthill is currently being done up. Dunno what's going in there, but someone on this thread mentioned Tesco Express a long time ago ...

Back in the good days twas said to become a tesco express but thats 3 or 4 years back

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭howyanow

westgolf wrote: »
    Back in the good days twas said to become a tesco express but thats 3 or 4 years back

Apparently Seapoint bought it so we see what they put in there.Don't think the Tesco express was anything more than a rumour and Tesco themselves have scaled back their express store opening plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

howyanow wrote: »
    Apparently Seapoint bought it so we see what they put in there.Don't think the Tesco express was anything more than a rumour and Tesco themselves have scaled back their express store opening plans.

Good to see that seapoint are developing it. Twill improve the streetscape on that side. New front gone onto salt & pepper and new thai place beside the oslo too.

westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Golden Rikshaw on Mary Street closed for the week for renovations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement