Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Another coffee shop has opened in between the coach station and the Radisson, seen it driving by today, it's called badgers and something, didn't catch the full name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    That's there for a while. Badger and Dodo. I thought it was a place selling coffee machines when I saw it first.

Vinnie's Pizza open where Four Star was in Munster Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

I'd never noticed the coffee shop until today despite driving by countless times, better go to specsavers.
    Vinnie's Pizza? Same people as the chipper?

I guess so. They seem to be selling by the slice. Probably trying to copy the place beside Neactains business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Sofa King wrote: »
    Driving pass Eyre Square earlier I noticed the 'Eyre Square Shop' next to Fibbers.

They didn't seem to have a lot of stock or a deli instore.

Hope it works well for them.

This place was closed on Friday around lunch time.

Is it gone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sofa King wrote: »
    This place was closed on Friday around lunch time.

Is it gone?

Yes, judging by the guy pulling out all the stock Thursday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I noticed today that Rabitte's shop in Lower Salthill is closed. There's a sign in the window saying "Closed until further notice".

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Bar 903 under Cuba Nightclub on Prospect Hill is reopening soon by McGettigans
    http://www.mcgettigans.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The internet cafe that was in Eyre Square Centre (and before that in the shop down the road from O'Connells in Eyre Square centre) is gone.

There was a sign on the door saying "for access contact <<the property managers for the shopping centre>>". It's now replaced with one saying "we are closed" and I think it has a phone number on it in small print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

New pub opening soonish in Woodquay. Formerly the Stage Door Inn, which closed a few years ago. The premises were derelict, or at least unoccupied, since. For some reason I can't find the exact building on Google Maps/StreetView. I gather the new owners/managers are very experienced and know what they're doing.

• Advertisement

I think the Stage Door is going to be more of a restaurant than a pub.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    For some reason I can't find the exact building on Google Maps/StreetView. I gather the new owners/managers are very experienced and know what they're doing.

It's this one: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Woodquay,+Galway,+Ireland/@53.275934,-9.052792,3a,75y,264.73h,85.6t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXeDpggUigPZu3tqG6sC3Cw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x485b96efcee13efb:0xd7cba7884436b9e6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yep - a place that must have exceeded its planning permission when it was (re)built, it's so out of keeping with the other buildings either side of it.

Ara, but sure, this is Galway/Ireland where we don't bother enforcing that kinda thing ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    New pub opening soonish in Woodquay. Formerly the Stage Door Inn, which closed a few years ago. The premises were derelict, or at least unoccupied, since. For some reason I can't find the exact building on Google Maps/StreetView. I gather the new owners/managers are very experienced and know what they're doing.
    jd wetherspoon jd wetherspoon jd wetherspoon jd wetherspoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

New restaurant going into Shop Street. I think where Lynch's is

http://www.56central.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

QikBax wrote: »
    New restaurant going into Shop Street. I think where Lynch's is

http://www.56central.com/

Is Lynch's closing? :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

serfboard wrote: »
    Yep - a place that must have exceeded its planning permission when it was (re)built, it's so out of keeping with the other buildings either side of it.

Ara, but sure, this is Galway/Ireland where we don't bother enforcing that kinda thing ...

I believe the previous occupants/developers did not make themselves popular with local residents.

snubbleste wrote: »
    jd wetherspoon jd wetherspoon jd wetherspoon jd wetherspoon

No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

56 Central is a sister restaurant of 37 West in Newcastle, owned by Gill Carroll of the Carroll family who own(ed) Zhivago, so maybe it's going in downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

Any source on the Bar 903 reopening?

Apparently the Bentley were looking for CVs and were "re-launching in the coming weeks" according to their Facebook at the end of February but nothing has come of it. I walk by the place daily and it's still gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

tigergirl wrote: »
    Any source on the Bar 903 reopening?

Apparently the Bentley were looking for CVs and were "re-launching in the coming weeks" according to their Facebook at the end of February but nothing has come of it. I walk by the place daily and it's still gutted.

See post by boardzz:
    boardzz wrote: »
    Bar 903 under Cuba Nightclub on Prospect Hill is reopening soon by McGettigans
    http://www.mcgettigans.com/

That Bentley thing was a con. The above is true. Going to be McGettigans. Huge work underway in there shortly. Opening in June according to the end of this article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A new womens clothes shop with an odd name 'Bowling & Market' has opened beside the XL on Middle St. Two of the long empty units in the Cornstore are also undergoing some set up works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

The former Davoren's butchers, on Shantalla Road, has been demolished.

Interestingly, I can't find any planning application requesting demolition permission - the only thing I can find is this application, which mentions the "renovation of existing derelict buildings" but nothing about demolition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Interestingly, I can't find any planning application requesting demolition permission - the only thing I can find is this application, which mentions the "renovation of existing derelict buildings" but nothing about demolition?

What business is opening or closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's good to see a bit of life there, it's been an eyesore for years. I believe it's being developed by the same guy who developed Fort Eyre beside it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What business is opening or closing?
    Residential

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

new thai restaurant next door to the oslo in salthill - 'LANA' opened last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

aw wrote: »
    56 Central is a sister restaurant of 37 West in Newcastle, owned by Gill Carroll of the Carroll family who own(ed) Zhivago, so maybe it's going in downstairs?

No. It's definitely going where Lynchs' is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

shigg wrote: »
    new thai restaurant next door to the oslo in salthill - 'LANA' opened last weekend

Got a flier during the week. Well priced thai food (for now). We're big fans of Thai Garden but with the introductory prices I'd be curious to compare.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    No. It's definitely going where Lynchs' is

Ya, we were looking at the numbers on the buildings last night. 5-6 is definitely in that unit, and I don't see signs up about a planning application to turn the downstairs unit into a cafe/restaurant. So I'd say Lynch's is in for a shake up.

In cafe-related news, Mixgreens on Lower Abbeygate St has has had a re-brand: new colour scheme (purple) and name (The Grainstore Kitchen) but still the Mixgreens menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ya, we were looking at the numbers on the buildings last night. 5-6 is definitely in that unit, and I don't see signs up about a planning application to turn the downstairs unit into a cafe/restaurant. So I'd say Lynch's is in for a shake up.

In cafe-related news, Mixgreens on Lower Abbeygate St has has had a re-brand: new colour scheme (purple) and name (The Grainstore Kitchen) but still the Mixgreens menu.

Any they've told me in 37 West that it's going into Lynchs. The owner of 37 West used to manage Lynchs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement