Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Liam Gallagher do a Johnny Rotten (ie PIL)??

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Did they bollox. If they weren't controversial and didn't swear in interviews no one would ever have heard of them

Nonsense. They were a much needed breath of fresh air and they shook up the establishment. We need that sort of thing every so often. And I say this as a fan of prog rock :D

There are other factors to musicians other than music, showmanship, character, cultural impact etc..but if they can't make good music in the first place, all else is null and void

Who's to say whether music is good or not? Who dictates what constitutes good or bad?

Would John Cage be good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

old hippy wrote: »
    Who's to say whether music is good or not? Who dictates what constitutes good or bad?

Would John Cage be good or bad?

Imagine being a musician and your most famous work being 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. What a loser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

PIL were superb, and witty.

Anyone who has a album called 'album', a tape called 'tape', a t-shirt called 't-shirt' etc etc is alright in my book.
    The only reason we know the song as 'Rise' is thst the record label wouldn't allow it to be released as 'single' as it would have caused too much confusion for air play.

Plus the fact that on his first album, if I remember correctly, on the short sleeve notes.

PIL would like to thank....... no one. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Am I the only one who likes the younger Gallagher? Also, all that talk of stealing success from his brother is nonsense, Oasis would never have been half the band they were if it wasn't for Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Am I the only one who likes the younger Gallagher? Also, all that talk of stealing success from his brother is nonsense, Oasis would never have been half the band they were if it wasn't for Liam

No I'm the same i like oasis. They were huge in the 90's nobody can deny that and they produced two brilliant albums. Liams bad boy persona is an act, and why not it's made him millions! He's actually a decent fella.

Imagine being a musician and your most famous work being 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. What a loser

Not into minimalism, then? I guess it sailed right over your head, eh?

Your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

no

Noel was the machine behind it all producing the songs. Liam in his Hayday was a fantastic frontman and made Oasis what they were, the swagger, the bravado, the carelessness of youth.

They made life fun again after the grunge scenes wonderful but maybe overly negative content output.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,224 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liam Gallagher is the greatest cnut of all time.

Such a magnificent compilation. What an absolute tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

old hippy wrote: »
    Not into minimalism, then? I guess it sailed right over your head, eh?

Your loss.

Thats not minimalist its non existent, pretentious wankery at it's finest.

• Advertisement

no
    Did Lydon ever make money off the Sex Pistols after or did the late Malcom McLaren consume all earnings. They obviously still create revenue today.

An interesting fact for yous, Nick Kent the Rock journalist was an original member of the first incarnation of SPs, he stated that Steve Jones was illiterate when they first got together in 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I must be getting old cause I haven't a clue what this threads about.

Young people and their music these days, all just sounds like noise to me.

krudler wrote: »
    Thats not minimalist its non existent, pretentious wankery at it's finest.

Argh! It's a dig at pretentious wankery and every bit as valid as the Sex Pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

There are other factors to musicians other than music, showmanship, character, cultural impact etc..but if they can't make good music in the first place, all else is null and void
    That's complete nonsense. You and I are both talking about the Pistols in 2013. What exactly is null and void? Those terms to me mean absence. Empty space. Something that can't make an impact because it was never there in the first place.

That's clearly an ill fitting way to summarise the Pistols. I mean you can talk about how reductive the music is all you want and you're entitled to your opinion but ... like ... they were clearly a marvellous act, weren't they?

You can talk about how bad the musicianship was all you want but for a terrible group of musicians they had this habit of sounding brilliant.

And I don't even like them that much, to be honest. Post punk was far more interesting a time for music. And was a period also riddled with people who couldn't really play their instruments that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Riddle101

He's a d*ckhead, but a funny d*ckhead. I just laugh when I see him doing the routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

why is this in after hours?
    I've heard a few songs by the new band on the way to work the last few mornings. The music isn't bad but his nasally whining voice is too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

i can't imagine anything less interesting
    I don't think he's as eclectic or inventive as Lydon tbh. I like his voice and the early oasis songs , he's good within the limits of what he does , a bit of a whelp but he's funny with it , I'd say he's sound enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

His whole spiel is getting tiresome. Every time he brings out a new record 'This album is better than Sgt Pepper. Everybody's a c*nt except me'. Every single time the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

anyone remember the Prodigy show in the Point (mid-90s) w/ Black Grape on the bill

I was last man standing outside the door, on a dark cold winter night with no ticket when a figure emerged from the car park n asked me "howdyagerrin'ere" so he is approaching, if not approachable!

And I snuck in off the back of him, whilst he got denied :D Was told to take dressing room entrance was too high profile at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

By creating such abominable noise that real, talented musicians were motivated to make actual music?
    real talented musicians were boring the f** out of everyone for a a few years at that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

regarding the musicianship of the pistols....I wish I could have written NMTB in the short time they were playing...

Genius in music can be a funny thing, the genius of the pistols was glen matlock fannying about writing little songs on his acoustic and Steve Jones ripping them apart and giving them balls! The Early PIL was just magestic, Lydon was at his most marketable by todays standards and he ripped it all apart with PIL. They are a lot more palatable nowadays to the regular ears, but what levene,wobble,atkins and lydon did was seminal!

I am heavily influenced by pil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

real talented musicians were boring the f** out of everyone for a a few years at that time

yeah it's a blend of musicality AND personality that should excite. and that's why technology not so much in music; but as music is fessing things up bigstyle the drab fcukers - killing technology man, is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw them on Jools back then. It was better than I was expecting, but still not my cup of tea. I got the impresson that Beady Eye is actually a band, not Liam + a backing band, which a solid start. I think Liam's worst "musical" tendencies needs to be reined in, and surrounding himself with some stronger musicians is a good start.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

no
    bnt wrote: »
    I saw them on Jools back then. It was better than I was expecting, but still not my cup of tea. I got the impresson that Beady Eye is actually a band, not Liam + a backing band, which a solid start. I think Liam's worst "musical" tendencies needs to be reined in, and surrounding himself with some stronger musicians is a good start.

Beady Eye members are all ex Oasis members anyway. The new album is pleasant to listen to but still quite derivative.

I'd more interested in Noel's next album.

Advertisement