Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The property tax deadline has passed, did you pay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There are people out there who actually believe that in the next election if ff get voted in that the lpt will be scrapped. Dream on it's here for good and you will be paying more in years to come. Remember last year it's only €2/week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This was only going to go one way once revenue took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jimgoose wrote: »
    I fought the good fight for a while over that blasted "Household Charge" nonsense. I wouldn't pay Big Phil the Bully-Boy a red ha'penny. Of course I got bate into it when Revenue took it over, as I knew they would eventually. I submitted the property tax return by mail (I'll pay it in used twenties when it suits me) and paid up the Household Charge, which by then had racked up to €144. But I'm not sorry. Think of it as my extra little contribution to the poor misfortunate State in its hour of need. ;)

I didn't pay either yet.
    I said i'd wait until there were a few crooked politicians, bankers and developers in jail.
    I could be waiting some time as authority always looks after their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Spurtacus wrote: »
    From your link

i fail to see your point? i was agreeing with the previous poster on his figures:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I have not paid any tax because I rent...

Also, is there not two versions of this tax? Which one did you pay? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Kichote wrote: »
    You don't see anything wrong with that? You are happy to be ruled by a group of people who talk cheap talk before getting elected and simply do what they feel like doing / can get away with after?

I ain't so monumentally naive/stupid that I think politicians don't make pre-election policies they cannot keep. I also don't believe that politicians make extremely difficult decisions just for the sake of making them. I also believe there is no realistic alternative to the path being travelled at the moment. I also believe the country is well on the road to economic recovery because of the excellent, if difficult, decisions made by the current administration.

There would be no one more disappointed with Sinn Féin in Government than their own core supporters. At least they have a chance. Joe Higgins and also those far-left loola's can spout whatever gibberish they want as they'll never get a chance to actually implement them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Kichote wrote: »
    You don't see anything wrong with that? You are happy to be ruled by a group of people who talk cheap talk before getting elected and simply do what they feel like doing / can get away with after?

As Homer Simpson said : It takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

Like the property bubble bursting, the revenue-raising measures that would be introduced were obvious well in advance, well before the election.
    Anyone voting for someone who claimed they won't take these actions was simply choosing to delude themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Geuze wrote: »
    This poll seems to imply choice.

Taxes are not optional.

If you buy a pair of jeans, you can't choose to pay VAT.

If you own a house, you can't choose not to pay the LPT.

Thanks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Morag wrote: »
    So the media would have us believe that most people have paid it.
    I haven't, have you?

Recent thread on it here.

Edit: Seeing as it's a poll, I'll leave it open.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"We will clean up politics"
    "We will end cronyism"
    "Roscommon hospital will not lose it's services"
    "Not another cent"
    "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home"

etc etc etc

Politicians are only part of the problem here.

The other problem is the head in the sand electorate, who have deluded themselves into thinking that we can cut our huge deficit without making substantial cuts and tax increases across the board.

If there was an election tomorrow and a politician said "no more cuts" then people would vote for them on that basis. And those people would be fools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I did in my hoop.

awec wrote: »
    Politicians are only part of the problem here.

The other problem is the head in the sand electorate, who have deluded themselves into thinking that we can cut our huge deficit without making substantial cuts and tax increases across the board.

If there was an election tomorrow and a politician said "no more cuts" then people would vote for them on that basis. And those people would be fools.

If there was an election tomorrow where is the real alternative to the failed political parties we have now? Everytime someone suggests starting a new political party they are mocked on here and in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sergeant wrote: »
    Mistakenly voted? Jesus, I thought people went to polling stations and cast their votes. Are you telling us there was some nefarious plot going on that caused the Plain People of Ireland to vote in the largest majority in the history of the State against their will?

I think the word 'mistakenly' was in the context that the people mistakenly fell for the pre-election lies.

Roll on local elections. Give us a chance to put manners on them again.

Transparency and honesty my hole.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If there was an election tomorrow where is the real alternative to the failed political parties we have now? Everytime someone suggests starting a new political party they are mocked on here and in the media.

Because people actually think that a new party is going to come in and make things all magically better.

New party or not we still have a huge deficit that has to be fixed.

Unless this new party is going to find a gold mine in the midlands then there are going to be tax increases and cuts made.

Time for people to get real. We are spending a lot more than we are taking in. It doesn't take a genius to work out that this is not good. Anyone who tells people that they can fix this issue without reducing outgoings and increasing incomings is an outright liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Because people actually think that a new party is going to come in and make things all magically better.

Unless this new party is going to find a gold mine in the midlands then there are going to be tax increases and cuts made.

You....you mean we can't just 'burn the bondholders'?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...this new party is going to find a gold mine in the midlands....

Well that, frankly, is a brilliant idea and I'm amazed that someone didn't think of it before now. I doff my cap to you, sir. ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well that, frankly, is a brilliant idea and I'm amazed that someone didn't think of it before now. I doff my cap to you, sir. ;)

Elect me and I will scrap the household tax and make no more cuts. *

* Subject to the discovery of a gold mine in the midlands. Terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Elect me and I will scrap the household tax and make no more cuts. *

* Subject to the discovery of a gold mine in the midlands. Terms and conditions apply.

Pick-and-shovel locked and loaded. Where do I sign, bass?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

I ain't so monumentally naive/stupid that I think politicians don't make pre-election policies they cannot keep. I also don't believe that politicians make extremely difficult decisions just for the sake of making them. I also believe there is no realistic alternative to the path being travelled at the moment. I also believe the country is well on the road to economic recovery because of the excellent, if difficult, decisions made by the current administration.

There would be no one more disappointed with Sinn Féin in Government than their own core supporters. At least they have a chance. Joe Higgins and also those far-left loola's can spout whatever gibberish they want as they'll never get a chance to actually implement them.

We have to wait and see if things will get better. We have been drip fed tidbits of positive news in recent times but its early days yet.

If there really is no alternative path it is only because we are too far gone, having signed up to the bailout and the previous government having taken on debt they shouldnt have. Still the current crowd could have done more to try and offload the debt to Europe instead of simply saying 'Yes Sir' to whatever the lads in Europe wanted. Which for them is an easy way out really.

If there was an election tomorrow I wouldnt know who to vote for. The big parties are just more of the same and the rest are just too outlandish altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I ain't so monumentally naive/stupid that I think politicians don't make pre-election policies they cannot keep.

but that's not the point.

The implication of was you were bored of anger at a politician lying, as if a voter should just accept that fact.

It would be much, much more dangerous for a society just presume all politicians are liars and become resigned to that, permitting or becoming complacent (even more complacent, rather) on poor ethics in officeholders.

I'm presuming you fit into the complacency bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

We paid the bare minimum of like 45 euro because if we the pay full thing we can get our house insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Paid but at a lower band than they suggested.

No way I'm paying what they asked for because it's ridiculous.

Time for people to get real. We are spending a lot more than we are taking in. It doesn't take a genius to work out that this is not good. Anyone who tells people that they can fix this issue without reducing outgoings and increasing incomings is an outright liar.

If something was actually done to make employing people easier then that deficit would disappear.

You can pay this over six payments (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

gazzer wrote: »
    Didnt pay either. I never got a letter and didnt register online so it will be interesting to see what Revenue will bill me for considering a house has not sold in my area (very rural) in the last 2 years.

Anyway I became a shareholder with this group http://www.attackthetax.com/index.html

Dont know if any good will come of it but I am in a fighting mood at the moment so will stick with it for the time being. :D

The only way that would work is if you all signed your property over to the company you are a "shareholder" of.

It's sad how people take advantage of the clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I believe in a thing called love.
    Just listen to the rhythm of my heart. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I didn't pay or return their form and I will let them come and take it from my wages as they have been threatening too.

I have had enough of this goverments "Threats" with regards to my pay.

That is my protest and I sure I will pay sometime but I am a number now that didnt pay at least I did something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

SB2013 wrote: »
    The only way that would work is if you all signed your property over to the company you are a "shareholder" of.

It's sad how people take advantage of the clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I went to register online and it said that i had already registered and paid :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I did pay but I respect people who didn't pay for genuine protest reasons, for example a family who bought in the boom, subsequently lost their jobs or got ill, and are struggling to put food on the table.

Don't have any time for the 2013 car sticker "I won't pay this unfair tax" brigade who would be happy to let kids go back to hedge schools and close more hospitals as long as they get to pay less tax.

Advertisement