Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The property tax deadline has passed, did you pay?

Options
  • 30-05-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

So the media would have us believe that most people have paid it.
    I haven't, have you?

Did you pay the property tax? 400 votes

Yes, it's a tax we have to.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but I don't agree with it.
    40% 160 votes
    No, never got around to sorting it out.
    37% 150 votes
    No as I don't agree with it.
    2% 10 votes
    No as I can't afford to.
    14% 57 votes
    No as I don't have property.
    5% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

i think there was a thread yesterday that showed a link saying less than 50% of households had paid, could be wrong but ill go looking for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Everybody pays,end of story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Spurtacus

i think there was a thread yesterday that showed a link saying less than 50% of households had paid, could be wrong but ill go looking for it now

Over 1.5 million had paid last I heard out of what, 1.6 million households ???.
    The refuseniks lost their fight, big scary revenue won.

The Irish Property Tax Fight 2012-2013 RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Didnt pay either. I never got a letter and didnt register online so it will be interesting to see what Revenue will bill me for considering a house has not sold in my area (very rural) in the last 2 years.

Anyway I became a shareholder with this group http://www.attackthetax.com/index.html

Dont know if any good will come of it but I am in a fighting mood at the moment so will stick with it for the time being. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Not sure how many times this has been pointed out accross various forums and threads- but once again:

Yesterday was the deadline for registration

Payment does not have to be made until 21st July 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spurtacus wrote: »

1.54 million have registered, not paid. It's a bit of a moot distinction since registration basically guarantees that you will pay it sooner or later, but it's a distinction all the same.

Yep, I have registered. Don't have to pay till 21st July, or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

There seems to be alot of confusion in the media over this. 1.5 million households filed a return, for which the deadline was last night. This does not necessarily mean they have paid. People have until the end of the year to pay it, and don't have to begin paying until the 1st of July. I will be paying a tenner a week until its paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

yea seems about right

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-returned-the-property-tax-forms.html

how many of those paid within the right bracket though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Yep I paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Really that many? So many were refusing to pay the household charge. Did they all cower to Big Phil's demands? Irish people really dont put up much of a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Paid it in full, they actually undervalued my house what with the converted attic, rear extension and side conservatory that no one else has on in the estate so I had to enter the correct adjusted value in line with the current difficult market conditions.
    Another weight off my shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Kichote wrote: »
    Really that many? So many were refusing to pay the household charge. Did they all cower to Big Phil's demands? Irish people really dont put up much of a fight

the difference is that councils have little/no power and couldnt organise a prayer in a nunery.
    the Revenue office however are very good at what they do, and people know that once they're involved there's no getting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This poll seems to imply choice.

Taxes are not optional.

If you buy a pair of jeans, you can't choose to pay VAT.

If you own a house, you can't choose not to pay the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Paid it in full, they actually undervalued my house what with the converted attic, rear extension and side conservatory that no one else has on in the estate so I had to enter the correct adjusted value in line with the current difficult market conditions.
    Another weight off my shoulders.

Revenue didn't value any houses.

They issued guidelines.

You submit your own valuation.

the difference is that councils have little/no power and couldnt organise a prayer in a nunery.
    the Revenue office however are very good at what they do, and people know that once they're involved there's no getting out of it.

Easily intimidated. They are still controlled by the muppets we mistakenly voted into power.

Geuze wrote: »

Taxes are not optional.

If you buy a pair of jeans, you can't choose to pay VAT.

If you own a house, you can't choose not to pay the LPT.

I guess you'll be the first lining up to pay when the government imposes a recurring annual tax on pairs of jeans you already own.

Those who have paid seem to have acquired a new sense of smugness over those who havn't, where as before they were also on the refusenik side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Easily intimidated. They are still controlled by the muppets we mistakenly voted into power.

Mistakenly voted? Jesus, I thought people went to polling stations and cast their votes. Are you telling us there was some nefarious plot going on that caused the Plain People of Ireland to vote in the largest majority in the history of the State against their will?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Spurtacus

yea seems about right

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-returned-the-property-tax-forms.html

how many of those paid within the right bracket though?

From your link
    The latest figures on the Property Tax from Revenue say that 1,517,902 LPT returns had been received by the evening of May 29th. Revenue also said that about 160,000 local authority and voluntary housing properties will be filing LPT returns in bulk and are not included in this figure. So – including social housing – the total number of properties registered for LPT will be about 1.68 million.
    The exact figure for the total number of liable properties is not known. A figure of around 1.9 million was mentioned by Minister Hogan and Revenue . So – based on that – there could be as many as 220,000 properties still to be registered for the Property Tax. That is a fairly respectable compliance level of just over 88%

Sergeant wrote: »
    Mistakenly voted? Jesus, I though people went to polling station and cast their votes. Are you telling us there was some nefarious plot going on that caused the Plain People of Ireland to vote in the largest majority in the history of the State against their will?

Nah they just did the opposite of what they said they would before they got elected.

But thats alright because as that goon Rabbitte says 'ah sure we all lie to get into power'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mistakenly voted? Jesus, I though people went to polling station and cast their votes. Are you telling us there was some nefarious plot going on that caused the Plain People of Ireland to vote in the largest majority in the history of the State against their will?

The people were LIED to. They won't forget that.
    It was also an anti Fianna Fail vote for many.
    No need to be so smug as it's only a temporary thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Nah they just did the opposite of what they said they would before they got elected.

But thats alright because as that goon Rabbitte says 'ah sure we all lie to get into power'

Politicians make pre-election promises they don't keep?

In other news: Bear shíts in wood, Pope admits to being Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yes.

Because I agree with it.

You don't see anything wrong with that? You are happy to be ruled by a group of people who talk cheap talk before getting elected and simply do what they feel like doing / can get away with after?

"We will clean up politics"
    "We will end cronyism"
    "Roscommon hospital will not lose it's services"
    "Not another cent"
    "It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home"

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I fought the good fight for a while over that blasted "Household Charge" nonsense. I wouldn't pay Big Phil the Bully-Boy a red ha'penny. Of course I got bate into it when Revenue took it over, as I knew they would eventually. I submitted the property tax return by mail (I'll pay it in used twenties when it suits me) and paid up the Household Charge, which by then had racked up to €144. But I'm not sorry. Think of it as my extra little contribution to the poor misfortunate State in its hour of need. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

The people were LIED to. They won't forget that.
    It was also an anti Fianna Fail vote for many.
    No need to be so smug as it's only a temporary thing.

So your voting FF next election? Didn't they sign the country up to introducing the household tax in the deal with the Troika?

I guess you'll be the first lining up to pay when the government imposes a recurring annual tax on pairs of jeans you already own.

Those who have paid seem to have acquired a new sense of smugness over those who havn't, where as before they were also on the refusenik side.

It's not smugness, it's just a matter of fact. There is no option NOT to pay it (well, for me anyway) as I need a tax clearance certificate. I didn't want to pay more than I had to by incurring fees.

So your voting FF next election? Didn't they sign the country up to introducing the household tax in the deal with the Troika?

How do you deduct that from my post? Please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Geuze wrote: »

Taxes are not optional.
    They are fully optional, it's just that exerting one particular option is illegal.

I think a Local Property Tax is necessary from a political point of view, but can we have less of the scorn, Matron?

Advertisement