Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression and suicides because of bullying at work

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

By the way, I'm a girl, not a guy!

I really do apologise for that - I defaulted the gender - my bad.

I would also like to say that I really admire your strenght of character and taking a stance against the Harrasment and assault you suffered as a result of your employer.

The law in this county urgently needs to be changed to deal with such insidious behaviour at the hands of those who are supposed to provide a safe place of work. The fact that the harm caused through bullying and this type of assault is not even a reportable offence is simply unbelievable.

I believe It is absolutly imperative that the state takes psychological assault seriously and deals with perpetrators of such behaviour under criminal law. It has been done else where - it can be done here.

I wonder how many more individuals have to go through what you did to achieve even basic justice?

Thanks for sharing your experience and all the best for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

what was this illness,if you dont mind me asking?

Imo this is irrelevant - the OP has not given further detail - to do so would quite likley be an identifier- so not something anyone should ask to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

gozunda wrote: »
    I really do apologise for that - I defaulted the gender - my bad.

I would also like to say that I really admire your strenght of character and taking a stance against the Harrasment and assault you suffered as a result of your employer.

The law in this county urgently needs to be changed to deal with such insidious behaviour at the hands of those who are supposed to provide a safe place of work. The fact that the harm caused through bullying and this type of assault is not even a reportable offence is simply unbelievable.

I believe It is absolutly imperative that the state takes psychological assault seriously and deals with perpetrators of such behaviour under criminal law. It has been done else where - it can be done here.

I wonder how many more individuals have to go through what you did to achieve even basic justice?

Thanks for sharing your experience and all the best for the future

Thank you for your sincere words. No need to apologise at all, it was only a small thing! :)

I agree entirely with what you are saying. A person can be arrested if they break someone else's arm - that's physical assault. The person arrested can be brought to court, and undergo a possible prosecution. A broken arm can be very painful to have, however, after a few weeks the person's arm heals, the cast is taken off, and they can get on with their life.

A person who is exposed to harassment, it usually goes on for a considerable amount of time, and when the person is forced to leave their job, leaves due to the unbearable environment they are expected to work in, or like me, issues them with legal proceedings, the suffering of the harassment does not stop, particularly if it was so severe that the person develops depression. The person will not be healed in a few weeks time, but can take months, or even a year, and I can't speak for the years ahead of me as of yet, but I do think I will be scarred for life with what happened to me, as it had such a damaging effect on me and my life.

There is a big difference in both of these examples, and believe me, I would rather have been physically assaulted, and have ended up with a broken arm, than have the suffering and hardship that comes with depression, and takes a very long time to heal.

To me, it is a very serious assault on a person's mind, and not only their mind, but their life - as depression has such an adverse affect on a person's life also, again alot different than having a broken arm.

With this in mind, I absolutely agree that bullying and harassment should be made criminal offence, and the perpetrators severely prosecuted in a criminal court. IF that might ever come into this country, it will be one good thing the government will have done, if it ever would come into law, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 monna

I was looking over internet for any information about where to find some legal team which previously won one of the 'bullying in workplace' cases and I've found this forum. The topic is so familiar to me and reading this brings tears to my eyes. I'm employed in a company for the past 8 years and being the only parent for my two kids for the first few years working there made me stay there. This cost me so much stress which lead to depression caused of bullying and harassment of managers working in there. I wonder would anyone could be able to give me some contacts to experienced legal team who can disccuss and maybe help me with my situation. I would be very grateful.

Regards,
    Monna

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement