Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression and suicides because of bullying at work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    OP
    By no means do I wish to offend or belittle your own experience. All your feels and emotions are as valid as anybody else's. I said what I said out of experience and concern it is not clear that mental illness and bullying are not linked. Not everybody with mental illness will be bullied nor people being bullied will become mentally ill should be pointed out.

Excusing your use of a double negative rendering the meaning of your statement realitivly ambigous - I will add to this that this is simply a completely irrelevant example and an illlogical fallacy

Your theory would appear to extend to the similar logic that with other forms of violence against the individual such as rape and subsequent mental illness - that neither can these be ever be linked either???? There is absolutely no follow through of for this bizarre conclusion

Extreme violence whether physical or psychological used against a person will in all liklyhood cause someform of mental illness to develop - whether short term or long term - this may be in the form of depression or even PTSD.

Even where an individual is suffering from another form of illness - mental or otherwise - it is indeed unfortunate that pathetic individuals in our society may see this as a targeting mechanism to attack others they see as weaker than themselves and such assault will inevitably will cause further damage to that person whether physchiological or physically attacked.

There is absolutely no excuse for any individual behaving in such a manner towards another. The fact that bullying behaviour is NOT yet a criminal offence is an significant omission in our legal system and something that will hopefully come in time. Unfortunately there are just one too many Neanderthals out there who believe bludgeoning others for their own amusement or personal gratification is in any way acceptable and bizarely refuse to accept bullying as an actual assault on the person that causes real and significant harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

gozunda wrote: »

Excusing your use of a double negative rendering the meaning of your statement realitivly ambigous - I will add to this that this is simply a completely irrelevant example and an illlogical fallacy
    Maybe I am not being 100% clear. I am stating bullying isn't inevitable for somebody with depression nor a bullied person will suffer a mental illness.

Having gone through very similar to the OP I have talked with mental health professionals. In a very delicate way they point out my feeling of been bullied may very well have been due to my own health. My own behaviour may even have drawn aggressive behaviour towards me. Now I am not a professional in the field so forgive my clumsy approach to point out something I found useful to be aware of.

I can assure you that your post would be very upsetting if I was ill right now. I still think it is overly aggressive, condescending and just generally rude for somebody who is trying to be open and honest. You may not be aware that talking to somebody like that in work would certainly feel like bullying. Forums are a different world and seem to let be loose so I hope you would not talk to somebody like that in person.

By no means have I said bullying is acceptable in fact I think it is allowed all over the place. Politician and the media do it all the time. There is no way it will become illegal as it is actually a part of human nature, it isn't even conscious stuff a lot of the time.

Maybe I am not being 100% clear. I am stating bullying isn't inevitable for somebody with depression nor a bullied person will suffer a mental illness.

Having gone through very similar to the OP I have talked with mental health professionals. In a very delicate way they point out my feeling of been bullied may very well have been due to my own health. My own behaviour may even have drawn aggressive behaviour towards me. Now I am not a professional in the field so forgive my clumsy approach to point out something I found useful to be aware of.

I can assure you that your post would be very upsetting if I was ill right now. I still think it is overly aggressive, condescending and just generally rude for somebody who is trying to be open and honest. You may not be aware that talking to somebody like that in work would certainly feel like bullying. Forums are a different world and seem to let be loose so I hope you would not talk to somebody like that in person.

By no means have I said bullying is acceptable in fact I think it is allowed all over the place. Politician and the media do it all the time. There is no way it will become illegal as it is actually a part of human nature, it isn't even conscious stuff a lot of the time.

Firstly I will state that No person ever deserves to be bullied. And Bullying is a known factor for a wide range of health issues including depression.

For the record bullying is defined as

"repeated inappropriate behaviour, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work."

So no my disagreement with your previous analysis of the OPs situation is not as you described. Please note.

And being truthful and honest is neither rude or condensending in any discussion.

To say that someone is bullied because of their health situation is the same rabid excuse that gives lie to as "ah sure she was looking for it wearing that skirt" type deranged argument used to excuse rapists and their ilk.

As for bullying being sonehow excusable and outside the law because it is 'part of human nature' that is another absolute trite get of jail excuse - lets look at other examples of human nature such as physical violence and murder, but that does not mean that this should preclude legal sanctions including the criminalising of physiological abuse that causes harm.

I do wonder if as you say you have been bullied then why attempt to be an excuser and apologist of those who attempt deliberately to destroy others lives and careers through premeditated and often vicious behaviour given the arguments for excusing bullying you have put forward

Bullying has been well defined and its effects are clearly documented and studied. It is of some interest that physical assault was not a criminal offence until the early eighteenth century and was seen as purely a 'civil' matter in the legal code. Thankfully this was changed so yes I believe such abuse whether it is an intrinsic part of human nature or not will become criminalised - this has already happened in other countries so there is some hope for this sick and sorry legal system that presently ignores the criminalisation of such behaviour.

And before there is any argument as to oh sure what is bullying - just as a consensual kiss is not rape neither are normal ranges of behaviour be ever considered bullying - please see the definition of bullying for further clarification

I'm afraid once again the use of double negatives in your reply makes it at best difficult to understand what you are actually saying here.

Firstly i will state that No person ever deserves to be bullied. And Bullying more often than not will cause a wide range of health issues including depression.

To say that you were bullied because of your health situation is the same rabid excuse that gives lie to as "ah sure she was looking for it wearing that skirt" type deranged argument used to excuse rapists and their ilk.

As for bullying being

I have no idea what double negative you are talking about this time.

I never said I was bullied due to my health issues. Aggressive behaviour receives aggressive behaviour. Somebody in a depressive episode can be very aggressive and may also bully people. It is no where near the same as a rapist excuse. To say somebody who has openly said they have mental health issue is "deranged" doesn't exactly show any understanding on your side.

It is also quite insulting to suggest somebody suffering from stress related to bullying is mentally ill. Stress will have similar effects as those with actual mental illness it doesn't mean they have a permanent condition.

I'll leave it that as you have shown no understanding and people reading what I have said will hopefully understand me better than you. I am done I have been more than open and revealing about myself and experience.

I have no idea what double negative you are talking about this time.

I never said I was bullied due to my health issues. Aggressive behaviour receives aggressive behaviour. Somebody in a depressive episode can be very aggressive and may also bully people. It is no where near the same as a rapist excuse. To say somebody who has openly said they have mental health issue is "deranged" doesn't exactly show any understanding on your side.

It is also quite insulting to suggest somebody suffering from stress related to bullying is mentally ill. Stress will have similar effects as those with actual mental illness it doesn't mean they have a permanent condition.

I'll leave it that as you have shown no understanding and people reading what I have said will hopefully understand me better than you. I am done I have been more than open and revealing about myself and experience.

No idea how you managed to reply to my post before I had finished copying and finalising my reply - please read the Full post. Thanks

Btw this is what you said about being bullied

"Having gone through very similar to the OP I have talked with mental health professionals. In a very delicate way they point out my feeling of been bullied may very well have been due to my own health. My own behaviour may even have drawn aggressive behaviour towards me.

IF you actually read my post you will note it was the argument that was deranged AND not any person - so do not attempt to misquote as you have done - ok

Neither Did I suggest those who are bullied are mentally ill - what I clearly said was that bullying often caused health problems such as depression etc
    - again do reread what was written

No health issue including depression and other conditions has to be permanent - again read what was written

Your logic that a bullied person who develops depression will go on to bully others because they are depressed and by your estimation therefore likely to be aggressive is quite obviously a blatant attempt at amateur psychology and frankly a disgusting insult to those who have been bullied and had their lives destroyed by those who chose to undertake this type of behaviour.

• Advertisement

No idea how you managed to reply to my post before I had finished copying and finalising my reply - please read the Full post. Thanks
    You posted it up

You added nothing and I stand by reply.

You posted it up

You added nothing and I stand by reply.

No it was not posted as you claim - the post was in the process of been written - so not too sure how half of it managed to be half posted tbh.

DO actually read the final
    post to see what was written and not what you may believe or presume was to be written

In my opinion What you wrote in reply is both disingenuous and an insult to all those who have been bullied.

See the complete post if you need clarification

But do take the time to actually read what was written and not attempt to inaccurately paraphrase

No health issue including depression and other conditions has to be permanent - again read what was written

This on it's own shows you have no understanding of mental illness or health.
    You have misrepresented what I said several times. The most ridiculous is to say I said depressed people become bullies. I said some depressed people may bully. Hugely different

Going back and adding massive extra text is also disingenuous. Massively aggressive in your posts is not helpful. This is no longer a rational discussion I am truly done now

EDIT: Again you suddenly added more text. Are you just sitting there seathig?

This on it's own shows you have no understanding of mental illness or health.
    You have misrepresented what I said several times. The most ridiculous is to say I said depressed people become bullies. I said some depressed people may bully. Hugely different

Going back and adding massive extra text is also disingenuous. Massively aggressive in your posts is not helpful. This is no longer a rational discussion I am truly done now

EDIT: Again you suddenly added more text. Are you just sitting there seathig?

Well you are editing your posts !

That first brief post was clearly unfinished no idea how it got posted prior to completion to be honest as explained - if you wish to fire off replies without reading what was actually written then that's your problem I'm afraid.

I can only take from your declared opinions that you believe bullying is 1) normal 2) acceptable 3) bullies create their own problems

I don't agree with your conclusions
    but it clearly shows for all your declarations you know absolutely nothing about bullying or the impacts it has on people's lives.

I can only take from your declared opinions that you believe bullying is 1) normal 2) acceptable 3) bullies create their own problems

Completely wrong and I doubt many people would read my posts and come to the conclusion you have.

• Advertisement

Completely wrong and I doubt many people would read my posts and come to the conclusion you have.

It is of course comforting to be one owns judge.....

But I am not the only poster to disagree with your stated opinions on this thread ....

angeline wrote: »
    I totally disagree with this post and find it highly misinformed. So, if someone with a history of depression commits suicide because of bullying, your take on it is to totally dismiss the person's very real experience of bullying, well, because, sure didn't he/she suffer depression. Bullying is very real and exists in most organisations. To suggest that a person who suffers depression should not be taken as seriously with an accusation of bullying compared to someone who has never disclosed depression is very backward in thinking in my view. May I suggest that bullying in itself can actually lead to depression along with many other ailments. Also depression is hugely common in the workplace now.

It is of course comforting to be one owns judge.....

But I am not the only poster to disagree with your stated opinions on this thread ....

The fact two people think I meant or said something other than my intent doesn't mean they are right. I have clarified I did not mean or say the things you have accused me of. I don't have to judge my opinion to tell you that you have incorrectly stated my opinion.

The fact you have posted the opinions that directly contradict what I said pretty much proves the point you have selectively quoted me and also misinterpret what I have said. You simply don't understand what I have said and seem incapable. Your post have been nothing but aggressive

The fact two people think I meant or said something other than my intent doesn't mean they are right. I have clarified I did not mean or say the things you have accused me of. I don't have to judge my opinion to tell you that you have incorrectly stated my opinion.

You said: Originally Posted by Ray Palmer "Completely wrong and I doubt many people would read my posts and come to the conclusion you have."

You didn't judge your opinion in this instance you judged what had I said in my post. Please keep up
    The fact you have posted the opinions that directly contradict what I said pretty much proves the point you have selectively quoted me and also misinterpret what I have said. You simply don't understand what I have said and seem incapable. Your post have been nothing but aggressive

I quoted one other poster as an example after you made your claim that others would not disagree with you. ... Well guess what there are those that actually do disagree with you. Disagreeing with an opinion does not make it aggressive - this is simply a statement

You have judged your own opinions / claims as correct - as I stated this is a very easy thing to do unfortunately this does not make your arguments any more valid than originally stated

Where I have posted an argument that contradicts what you have claimed there is no following logic that says I must have misquoted - I have clearly stated where what you said and then later claimed you didn't say with given examples - something you unfortunately failed to do.

Example:

You Said:
    Originally Posted by Ray Palmer
    "Having gone through very similar to the OP I have talked with mental health professionals. In a very delicate way they point out my feeling of been bullied may very well have been due to my own health. My own behaviour may even have drawn aggressive behaviour towards me. Now I am not a professional in the field so forgive my clumsy approach to point out something I found useful to be aware of. "

Then you said:

"I never said I was bullied due to my health issues."

If that's misquoting then I must be speaking Swahili

Unfortunately you completely ignored a large number of my points that contradicted your claims / opinions & you provided few if any real clarifications or objectivity

And on a number of other points you simply restated the same bizarre statements again without the benefit of any logic and that I and at least one other poster pointed out as being misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Having gone through very similar to the OP I have talked with mental health professionals. In a very delicate way they point out my feeling of been bullied may very well have been due to my own health. My own behaviour may even have drawn aggressive behaviour towards me.

Bullying is a very real experience, just like being assaulted physically is a very real experience. Just because someone is suffering a depressive episode does not mean that he or she was not actually physically assaulted but that due to his or her illness it was merely a 'feeling' of having been assaulted. There are very few health professionals out there that would take such a dismissive view to a bullying experience. The OP stated clearly that the severe depression was in fact caused by bullying and harrassment in the workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

HondaSami wrote: »
    Your post is a little confusing to me, you went up against your employer and won, this is good is it not?
    But the bullying was bad. Not sure what's confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Elephant Man from china

Seems like all you wanted was acceptance and for people to make a fuss over you..

It's possible you came across like an attention seeker

Banned

Example:

You Said:
    "Having gone through very similar to the OP I have talked with mental health professionals. In a very delicate way they point out my feeling of been bullied may very well have been due to my own health. My own behaviour may even have drawn aggressive behaviour towards me. Now I am not a professional in the field so forgive my clumsy approach to point out something I found useful to be aware of. "

Then you said:

"I never said I was bullied due to my health issues."

If that's misquoting then I must be speaking Swahili

Yeah you have a problem understanding what definitive statement is. The use of the word "may" seems to be an issue with you. I didn't say I was bullied due to my health I said I was told by a health care professional that it may be why I felt bullied. You are claiming you know better. I'll trust my psychiatrist thanks very much.

So yes you failed to understand what I said and then criticised me on your misperception in an extremely aggressive way. So ignoring a rant about something I didn't say is no surprise really. It isn't the only thing where you seemed to ignore talking about possible issues and took them as definitive statements so yes you are misquoting me.

Yeah you have a problem understanding what definitive statement is. The use of the word "may" seems to be an issue with you. I didn't say I was bullied due to my health I said I was told by a health care professional that it may be why I felt bullied. You are claiming you know better. I'll trust my psychiatrist thanks very much.

So yes you failed to understand what I said and then criticised me on your misperception in an extremely aggressive way. So ignoring a rant about something I didn't say is no surprise really. It isn't the only thing where you seemed to ignore talking about possible issues and took them as definitive statements so yes you are misquoting me.

You appear to be getter rather off the point here

That's was your quote which you appeared to agree with and then denied having made. End of story.

Please remember disagreeing with an opinion or finding such an obvious flaw in your argument does not mean that this in any way aggressive. Perhaps that's your perception. But its your oerception and it is obviously unsupportable as I have stated my views clearly and with examples - something you appeared not to do.

Anyway the point of this post is neither about you or I but about the OPs very real description of the suffering he endured at the hands of bully's.

Yes we must make our own judgements on what the OP related but to deride his very obviously painful and insidious experience amounts to a complete lack of insight into what bullying really is and what it can do to the individual.

I do hope that the OP has had some improvements in his life following from his success in tackling his bullies - but what is certain is that this country legal system complwtly fails the victims of bullying in that it does not protect the victims rights against such harm and fails to criminalise such behaviour.

The OP importantly also asked about suicide linked to workplace bullying - this is a something that I believe must be accounted for and workplaces where workers should feel safe must be made accountable for where such bullying proven to have arisen as a result of substandard workplace and management practices.

That's was your quote which you appeared to agree with and then denied having made. End of story.

WOW!
    How you can not grasp the difference at this point is amazing. If you can't understand how a statement about what I was told about how my judgment MAY be effected is not the same as saying it WAS the reason I was bullied shows a complete lack of understanding the English language. It isn't the only concept you failed to grasp and your aggressive manner is extreme. You are not simply disagreeing.

Maybe it as simple as you not understanding that somebody who suffers from depression may have a depressive episode without any trigger what so ever. These depressive episodes can have a detrimental effect on personal relationships. How other people react to this is then out of your control, some people may very well get angry and choose to bully somebody as a result. They may even find allies from others who also feel slighted by the behaviour. Still not acceptable but understandable and something I was told by my doctor to watch out for. Specifically if I start feeling bullied by somebody to try and do a neutral assessment preferable not with a friend who will just agree . Are you saying you know better than mental health professionals?

WOW!
    How you can not grasp the difference at this point is amazing. If you can't understand how a statement about what I was told about how my judgment MAY be effected is not the same as saying it WAS the reason I was bullied shows a complete lack of understanding the English language. It isn't the only concept you failed to grasp and your aggressive manner is extreme. You are not simply disagreeing.

Maybe it as simple as you not understanding that somebody who suffers from depression may have a depressive episode without any trigger what so ever. These depressive episodes can have a detrimental effect on personal relationships. How other people react to this is then out of your control, some people may very well get angry and choose to bully somebody as a result. They may even find allies from others who also feel slighted by the behaviour. Still not acceptable but understandable and something I was told by my doctor to watch out for. Specifically if I start feeling bullied by somebody to try and do a neutral assessment preferable not with a friend who will just agree . Are you saying you know better than mental health professionals?

Aligning yourself as an (assumed) associate of all mental health professionals is a big ask tbh so no I dont accept your protestations. And all the while using the line quoted above to back up your argument that you were told that you may have been bullied due to your own health whislt suggesting that this is some kind of medical fact and then claim you didnt state this! (See your Quotes I highlighted) - You even restate this frankly
    Bizarre theory again in this post!

And for the record I disagree with what you said and I will repeat it again for your benefit Bullying Is Never Ever Understandable (or accceptable) Behaviour.

You also appear to take any and all disagreement of any of your pronouncements as "aggressive". Your Preception is something again something I have no control of but I would suggest that to use such an transparent mechanism to attempt to claim righteous argument is simply a cop out.

To get back to the point of the thread the OP clearly stated they were bullied and then developed depression - I would suggest you reread the post and attempt to at least understand the OPs circumstance and detail rather than continuing to opine your thoughts and beliefs against their stated experience all the while using purported non referenced medical theory.

If you don't like or believe the OP then leave it at that. Bullying takes enough of a toll without such negative and in my opinion contradictory diatribe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

Seems like all you wanted was acceptance and for people to make a fuss over you..

It's possible you came across like an attention seeker

Banned

I wanted respect, and to be treated like anyone else in the workplace, and not treated horrifically just because I was ill, and stood up for myself against a very nasty employer, and issued them with legal proceedings - particularly when they were well aware of how wrong they had been.

Why would I want people to make a fuss over me, when all I was doing was standing up for myself, and not accepting anyone to treat me in such a terrible way?

And as for an attention seeker, that's absolutely incorrect, and insulting to me. If you were in my shoes with what I went through, you would have clearly seen I was anything but an attention seeker, but was seeking justice, and fairness for how terribly I was been treated.

Have you every heard of anyone who was harassed at work wanting to be an attention seeker???? When someone is in such an incredibly stressful situation like that, all they want is for it to be resolved, and to be treated with respect.

If I wanted people to make a fuss of me, and was trying to come across as an attention seeker as you said, I wouldn't have won my cases in the smaller courts, and my employer would not have settled my case out of the High Court. It was a matter of law, and how my employer did not, and didn't care about following the law.

I find your post insulting, and condescending, and you have obviously never gone through the hell that someone goes through when in a situation like this, that the person never wanted, and never asked for.

WOW!

Thanks for your comments, however you have misread the start of my thread. I suffer with an additional illness, and it was because of that illness I was harassed and bullied at work in an attempt by my employer to try and force me out of my job. I was also harassed in a very severe way because I stood up to those who were treating me terribly, and also because I issued them with legal proceedings for the courts, and the High Court.

It was because of how terribly I was treated at work, the extreme stress that I was forced to endure (And that is no exaggeration at all) that I developed depression as a consequence of the horrific actions of my employer.

Also, I suffered terribly at work, and some days I look back on what I went through, and don't know how I got through it, but it was only by pure determination, and principles that I succeeded. I did not at any time upset anyone at work due to depression, all I was concentrating on was getting through work, following the law, and having my day in court. If I did treat anyone badly at work, I would not have won my cases.

You appear to be getter rather off the point here

Please remember disagreeing with an opinion or finding such an obvious flaw in your argument does not mean that this in any way aggressive. Perhaps that's your perception. But its your oerception and it is obviously unsupportable as I have stated my views clearly and with examples - something you appeared not to do.

Anyway the point of this post is neither about you or I but about the OPs very real description of the suffering he endured at the hands of bully's.

Yes we must make our own judgements on what the OP related but to deride his very obviously painful and insidious experience amounts to a complete lack of insight into what bullying really is and what it can do to the individual.

I do hope that the OP has had some improvements in his life following from his success in tackling his bullies - but what is certain is that this country legal system complwtly fails the victims of bullying in that it does not protect the victims rights against such harm and fails to criminalise such behaviour.

The OP importantly also asked about suicide linked to workplace bullying - this is a something that I believe must be accounted for and workplaces where workers should feel safe must be made accountable for where such bullying proven to have arisen as a result of substandard workplace and management practices.

By the way, I'm a girl, not a guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

becost wrote: »
    Hi ilovebiology,

I can identify with many of the points raised in your post although I took a different approach with my particular situation that didn't include legal action but I made sure my immediate supervisors won't have forgotten me in a hurry and will think twice about treating someone else the same way. :D
    If I could give you one bit of advice, try not to think about how individual colleagues treated you. Try to think positive and move on from this situation. People that are in any way different are always going to be harassed at work. There's plenty of support and assistance in this country for people interested in setting up their own business if you have ever considered going in that direction.

Wishing you the best for the future!
    There is help in this country to set up a business if you are in a corpo house and on the dole otherwise there is NOTHING. If you have tried to do something with your life in the past got a a couple of properties or have some savings there is no help at all when these are the people who should be encouraged not the shams that are getting "free courses" " back to work schemes" when we all know they will just pocket a few quid over the 2 years and then sign back on the dole.

On the subject of bullying I was bullied in the workplace by a guy who had a conviction for murder it was not a pleasant experience and the employer thought that it was funny ! I had to leave in the end but you live and learn.

Big Davey wrote: »
    There is help in this country to set up a business if you are in a corpo house and on the dole otherwise there is NOTHING. If you have tried to do something with your life in the past got a a couple of properties or have some savings there is no help at all when these are the people who should be encouraged not the shams that are getting "free courses" " back to work schemes" when we all know they will just pocket a few quid over the 2 years and then sign back on the dole.

On the subject of bullying I was bullied in the workplace by a guy who had a conviction for murder it was not a pleasant experience and the employer thought that it was funny ! I had to leave in the end but you live and learn.

Thank you.

Your employer thought it was funny - I believe you when you say that, as employers do not take any complaints of bullying and harassment in the workplace seriously, until they are up for it in the High Court!

I have read through my thread, and with the replies I have received (Thanks to all of you for your views, and replies by the way) just look at how many people have been harassed at work, and nothing done about it by the employer. That's just a handful of people, but it just goes to show how prevalant it is in this country.

It's such a horrifying silent epidemic, its time something was done about this by the government, if they will take the complaint of this issue seriously that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Thank you.

Your employer thought it was funny - I believe you when you say that, as employers do not take any complaints of bullying and harassment in the workplace seriously, until they are up for it in the High Court!

I have read through my thread, and with the replies I have received (Thanks to all of you for your views, and replies by the way) just look at how many people have been harassed at work, and nothing done about it by the employer. That's just a handful of people, but it just goes to show how prevalant it is in this country.

It's such a horrifying silent epidemic, its time something was done about this by the government, if they will take the complaint of this issue seriously that is!

The government and the civil service don't care they only care about themselves. With the amount of depressed people being struck off illness benefit and no real help out there for people there are many many office workers and medical assessor s with blood on their hands in these departments. One day a really depressed person who is struck off or looses a medical card and has nowhere to turn may kill the person responsible for cutting them off "then they will listen" but while people are killing just themselves nothing will be solved we are not a civilised society anymore. Depressed people are easy targets just like the Dodo bird was and we all know what happened to them....................

Big Davey wrote: »
    The government and the civil service don't care they only care about themselves. With the amount of depressed people being struck off illness benefit and no real help out there for people there are many many office workers and medical assessor s with blood on their hands in these departments. One day a really depressed person who is struck off or looses a medical card and has nowhere to turn may kill the person responsible for cutting them off "then they will listen" but while people are killing just themselves nothing will be solved we are not a civilised society anymore. Depressed people are easy targets just like the Dodo bird was and we all know what happened to them....................

There is no real help out there for people with depression, as I have discovered, and have to fork out for expensive treatment myself. The HSE is a joke.

Thanks for your comments, however you have misread the start of my thread. I suffer with an additional illness, and it was because of that illness I was harassed and bullied at work in an attempt by my employer to try and force me out of my job. I was also harassed in a very severe way because I stood up to those who were treating me terribly, and also because I issued them with legal proceedings for the courts, and the High Court.

It was because of how terribly I was treated at work, the extreme stress that I was forced to endure (And that is no exaggeration at all) that I developed depression as a consequence of the horrific actions of my employer.

Also, I suffered terribly at work, and some days I look back on what I went through, and don't know how I got through it, but it was only by pure determination, and principles that I succeeded. I did not at any time upset anyone at work due to depression, all I was concentrating on was getting through work, following the law, and having my day in court. If I did treat anyone badly at work, I would not have won my cases.

Well I am glad you see I wasn't suggesting ill of you. You are probably right that I thought you initially suggested you suffered from depression and another illness prior to working there.

The advice was more to do with being aware of mental illness and it's effects on others that may come back. It is possible a bully may actually have a mental illness too and may need help. While I never bullied anybody I was at least overly aggressive on occasions due to my illness. The wrong medication at one point made me paranoid and effected my work drastic. I even left a job because I couldn't see a way to not be considered aggressive afterwards.

Being bullied made matters worse in one place and I hit the lowest point in my life. The guy in question is still there and has caused many people to leave and he also got people fired. Some companies just don't deal with bullies. I took a settlement from them which they offered very quickly and have done before and since due to this one guy. One of his victims was severally effected and change career as a result.

It is possible to win a case even if you did treat people badly depending on how it was dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I wanted respect, and to be treated like anyone else in the workplace, and not treated horrifically just because I was ill, and stood up for myself against a very nasty employer, and issued them with legal proceedings - particularly when they were well aware of how wrong they had been.

what was this illness,if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Well I am glad you see I wasn't suggesting ill of you. You are probably right that I thought you initially suggested you suffered from depression and another illness prior to working there.

The advice was more to do with being aware of mental illness and it's effects on others that may come back. It is possible a bully may actually have a mental illness too and may need help. While I never bullied anybody I was at least overly aggressive on occasions due to my illness. The wrong medication at one point made me paranoid and effected my work drastic. I even left a job because I couldn't see a way to not be considered aggressive afterwards.

Being bullied made matters worse in one place and I hit the lowest point in my life. The guy in question is still there and has caused many people to leave and he also got people fired. Some companies just don't deal with bullies. I took a settlement from them which they offered very quickly and have done before and since due to this one guy. One of his victims was severally effected and change career as a result.

It is possible to win a case even if you did treat people badly depending on how it was dealt with.

I am sorry to hear you were bullied at work, and how it was not dealt with. While I was working, I was never aggressive with anyone, I'm not that type of person, and one of the most important things for anyone involved in bullying at work is to be very aware and careful of what you say. There were many times I was extremely angry with what was happening and how I was treated, but I knew all they wanted me to do was to lash out, get very angry, and say something I would regret. I was more than capable of controlling and thinking about what I said. Aggressive is something I have never been, and never will be. It had that affect on you, but not on me. I know for a fact that if I was aggressive it would have affected the outcome of the lawsuits I hit them with, and that comes from my legal team, not from me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement