Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've been blocked by Sean Sherlock for asking about EMI vs UPC...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Prodigious wrote: »
    They're not infringing copyright, as tpb allegedly is.

I'm not legal Eagle, but as Abortion is a crime, is it Murder? So Murder is less important than copyright theft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

maglite wrote: »
    I'm not legal Eagle, but as Abortion is a crime, is it Murder? So Murder is less important than copyright theft?

Murder doesn't get in the way of the industry's profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

maglite wrote: »

And leaving both to die from complications where one could be saved torture and murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Now, on the torrent news sites! Censorship just like in a communist country!

http://torrentfreak.com/high-court-gives-irish-isps-30-days-to-block-the-pirate-bay-130612/

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Just goes to show you how out of touch these people are. i wouldn't download a song from the piratebay, its actually nearly impossible to find a single song on it ( all songs bundled into albums) . if i want to listen to music, i'll listen to it on youtube or last fm. both of which are legal and i dont pay the record companies 1 cent for the privilege, not directly at least

• Advertisement

Who would one address a petition to, if one were to be organising a petition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Newaglish wrote: »
    I know the thread is specifically about Sean Sherlock but... what's actually wrong with blocking access to the pirate bay? It is basically a vehicle for copyright theft.

Sorry, but that's just rubbish. Myself and others have been using it for years to share our own game designs,apps and to share our own home videos etc.

It's called file sharing,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

gurramok wrote: »
    Now, on the torrent news sites! Censorship just like in a communist country!

http://torrentfreak.com/high-court-gives-irish-isps-30-days-to-block-the-pirate-bay-130612/

"Despite being innocent parties, the ISPs will have to swallow the costs of initiating the blockade."

If only they had some cash source available from which they could extract extra revenue in order to make up for this crippling financial burden....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

They're not infringing copyright, as tpb allegedly is.

It's some users that are using it for copyright infringement, many of us still use it for normal file sharing as it was designed for.
    So why should we be denied access to our own legal content.

the internet is a source of information, if people use it to search for ways to break the law etc, does that mean that everyone should be denied access to the internet? Or just the people that use it for unlawful reasons?

Skatedude wrote: »
    It's some users that are using it for copyright infringement, many of us still use it for normal file sharing as it was designed for.
    So why should we be denied access to our own legal content.

the internet is a source of information, if people use it to search for ways to break the law etc, does that mean that everyone should be denied access to the internet? Or just the people that use it for unlawful reasons?

I am on your side mate, I said they allegedly are. Not that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I have to use the pirate bay sometimes for legal software downloads as Three's 3g service in rural Ireland just isn't good enough for direct downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Who would one address a petition to, if one were to be organising a petition?

You mean like that petition warning of this eventuality when Sherlock was signing in his SI that garnered 80,000 signatories? I'm not sure it matters who you address it to tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I have to use the pirate bay sometimes for legal software downloads as Three's 3g service in rural Ireland just isn't good enough for direct downloads.

just enter the IP address in the address bar instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Google 'pirate bay proxy' and your problem is solved.
    Or even use google translate on the site.

We're moving towards ipv6 now so all of this website blocking crap will prove pointless soon. The fact that the entire torrent contents of TPB is something like 100mb means that anyone can just rehost it.

To think that the pirate bay is the only torrent site is naive and to think that the only torrent sites exist are the ones found through google is worse.

These dinosaurs need to educate themselves, adjust their business model and stop trying to peddle overpriced music. i.e. digital download albums 20% less than a physical copy, the profit there is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

I use eircom BB and using simple torrent index sites like isohunt means I can download from pirate bay with out using proxies etc.

The pirate bay is not the only torrent website(although probably one of the more famous ones in fairness)as a poster above pointed out,so the IRMA and others who were involved in the action really are pis$ing in the wind!

Everyone is missing the point. Great, we can get around it. It's the principle of the block. What's to stop them pursuing boards.ie, where other torrent sites might be mentioned, or adverts.ie, where people sell used games and movies, or perhaps websites advocating activism and civil disobedience. They have set a terrible, terrible precedent, one which undoubtedly will be used in the future to justify more severe censorship.

Anyone who wants to read about the case can do so here.

Avaaz.org might be a good medium for a petition, it has a worldwide gathering, could get a few million signatures easily enough.

Give an example of one time an online petition has made a difference?

Caliden wrote: »
    Give an example of one time an online petition has made a difference?

SOPA last year, no? CISPA? These lads make a considerable difference.

But no, you're right. It won't change a thing. We might as well bend over and take it.

If you're a UPC customer who is concerned by this, feel free to tell them.

SOPA last year, no? CISPA? These lads make a considerable difference.

But no, you're right. It won't change a thing. We might as well bend over and take it.

Irish SOPA passed by Sherlock, so that petition didn't achieve anything.

• Advertisement

Irish SOPA passed by Sherlock, so that petition didn't achieve anything.

American SOPA. CISPA. And other link. What do you hope to accomplish by being negative?

American SOPA. CISPA. And other link. What do you hope to accomplish by being negative?

Realistic isn't negative. Petitions don't achieve anything is what I'm saying. SOPA & CISPA are American so if we were in America I would retract what I said about petitions not achieving anything but we're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

EMI, Sony, Warner Music and Universal had alleged the Pirate Bay activitioes were causing them some €20 million of losses annually and sought the orders against UPC, Imagine, Vodafone, Digiweb, Hutchison 3G Ltd and Telefonica O2 Ireland Ltd.

Maybe revenue should chase these music companies now for the tax take on the €20 Million per annum they will OBVIOUSLY be getting extra per year now that the 200k people are not accessing TPB....Obviously they are now going to make that money they were losing year on year all along. :rolleyes:

Realistic isn't negative. Petitions don't achieve anything is what I'm saying. SOPA & CISPA are American so if we were in America I would retract what I said about petitions not achieving anything but we're not.

Your question was : What petitions have ever changed anything. And I answered your question.

What is your alternative? Do you suggest we do nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

All i use pirate bay for is tv shows that arent on the telly here and educational software. I listen to music on youtube and its insanely simple to download music of youtube is that next ?

This is bull its the only thee only reason i am not with ericom was because i could access pirate bay. So why stay now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's really simple. Netflix & co. are killing torrents except in countries where the rights holders are preventing access to the latest and greatest stuff. It's forcing a lot of people to become criminals and I can't see it doing much for their bottom line.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/14/sandvine_internet_report/
    Video services Netflix and YouTube consume nearly half of US internet capacity at peak times,
    BitTorrent's share as a proportion of traffic continues to fall, with the pirated content file sharing* technology accounting for a mere 5.57 per cent of downstream traffic.

The situation was drastically different in Europe, where Netflix didn't appear in the top ten for downstream**, BitTorrent represented 12.22 per cent of download traffic,
    "In Europe, countries with lower Real-Time Entertainment share typically have higher Filesharing traffic, which leads us to believe that subscribers are likely using applications like BitTorrent to procure audio and video content not available in their region," Sandvine wrote

Your question was : What petitions have ever changed anything. And I answered your question.

What is your alternative? Do you suggest we do nothing?

I didn't realise you would be so anal about it so I'll rephrase; What online petitions have directly influenced anything of importance in Ireland?

With regards doing anything about it, contact your ISP/local TD and relay your concern. We're not in positions of power to do anything but being vocal over the phone may make a difference.

Sending emails/creating petitions aren't worth the paper they're written on. If call centres/local offices are getting hammered then we might get somewhere. (which was done with SOPA/CISPA if I'm not mistaken).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Here's a quick workaround, open Notepad - run as "Administrator". If you are using Windows open "/system32/drivers/etc/hosts". At the very end of the file copy and paste this:
    194.71.107.80 thepiratebay.se
    194.71.107.80 thepiratebay.sx
    194.71.107.80 thepiratebay.org

CTRL+S to save then just restart your computer, basically this will just route all requests for thepiratebay domain to the alternative IP addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Has Sherlock taken his head out of the sand long enough to comment yet, or is he still blocking all and sundry for having the GALL to ask him about something he said would never happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

returnNull wrote: »
    I use eircom BB and using simple torrent index sites like isohunt means I can download from pirate bay with out using proxies etc.

The pirate bay is not the only torrent website(although probably one of the more famous ones in fairness)as a poster above pointed out,so the IRMA and others who were involved in the action really are pis$ing in the wind!

Thank fuck for that, as an Eircom customer their "3 strikes" rule has put the fear of a psychopathic god into me!

Advertisement