Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've been blocked by Sean Sherlock for asking about EMI vs UPC...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The hairy japanese bastard.

This is going to get good.

Fair play to you for fighting the good fight, dev! Don't back down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

we anon now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

****!! wait!! dont let it start yet, i need to go out and get some popcorn cus this is gonna get gooooooood

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Oh this is going to be good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

he's a slippery snake.......

Also just shows how thick the Irish music industry is thinking that the pirate bay is the only torrent site!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fair play, he's clearly squirming. Probably hoped this would slip through quietly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

How could Sherlock have given a guarantee that EMI or any other corporation would not use the Copyright SI to sue ISPs active in Ireland?

If he did say that, it seems like a strange guarantee. Obviously a Minister can't stop any such action or determine that an action won't be taken, he's not a legal authority in his own right.

To be verry honest, it's doubtful to what extent someone should even have taken that kind of reassurance seriously.

That's not a defence of Sherlock, just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

"Politician refuses to answer legitimate questions"

Colour me shocked

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tigger wrote: »
    we anon now?
    Nope, we're not. For a start my name is Tom Murphy and I've been happy to stand on stage and debate this point :)

Secondly Boards is not a hive mind... we're a community of people with every opinion under the sun. I can TOTALLY live with that. I love differing opinion and robust arguments and debates. That only every brings out good ideas (trolling and abuse, not good, never confuse the two). So, if you have a contrary opinion, or just want to add to the discussion... thats great. That was kinda the idea behind Boards anyway!

What I'm opposed to is the "stick-head-in-sand" approach which capitulates to foreign companies and blocks homegrown entrepreneurs like they are "bothersome". Its the political attitude which has us paying bankers bad gambles for example.

This is another example of it here (albeit considerably less country-wrecking :) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Anyone feel like taking his website offline again? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Anyone feel like taking his website offline again? :D

Why would you do that? Thats childish.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If anyone wants to watch the videos of the whole debate (I did my best to make them funny :) ) they can be found here.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/26577-sound-vision-and-some-fu

Its the third video where he said they wouldnt use his SI to sue intermediaries, (the part where I responded "They sued a country!!" :) )

Worth a watch imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Why would you do that? Thats childish.

Wasn't being serious... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I always find it baffling that companies such as EMI tend to publicly focus this issue driving traffic to the sites they want to take down, instead of trying to endorse and promote a service, they want people to use.

I also don't get why they are going after the ISPs too. Does a bank harass a manufacturer if their car is used as a getaway for a bank robbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Deleted a few mildly abusive posts.

When DeV says Keep it Civil. He means here too.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

DeVore wrote: »
    Nope, we're not. For a start my name is Tom Murphy and I've been happy to stand on stage and debate this point :)

Secondly Boards is not a hive mind... we're a community of people with every opinion under the sun. I can TOTALLY live with that. I love differing opinion and robust arguments and debates. That only every brings out good ideas (trolling and abuse, not good, never confuse the two). So, if you have a contrary opinion, or just want to add to the discussion... thats great. That was kinda the idea behind Boards anyway!

What I'm opposed to is the "stick-head-in-sand" approach which capitulates to foreign companies and blocks homegrown entrepreneurs like they are "bothersome". Its the political attitude which has us paying bankers bad gambles for example.

This is another example of it here (albeit considerably less country-wrecking :) ).

Well Mr.Murphy (if that is indeed your real name) - this is a gross exaggeration and full of inaccuracies, you are a liar and and scoundrel and a dastard to boot.
    I challenge you to a throw down outside the GPO.
    Queensbury rules.
    Good day to you.

- Sean.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The trouble is that he will be content to stick his head in the sand assuring himself time and again that he's done the right thing by proposing and signing this into law.

He's an idiotic mouthpiece (I'm sorry but he patently is, condescending, rude, arrogant) and his continued embarrassing stance on this suggests he has no plans to change nor interest in doing so.

In the context of this debate, that particular individual is small time, even if his questionable actions have not been.

JD DABA wrote: »
    Well Mr.Murphy (if that is indeed your real name) - this is a gross exaggeration and full of inaccuracies, you are a liar and and scoundrel and a dastard to boot.
    I challenge you to a throw down outside the GPO.
    Queensbury rules.
    Good day to you.

- Sean.
    This is me, training Muay Thai (in Bangkok).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/devoresphotos/6914396843/in/set-72157608308886652

Hows Friday afternoon work for you? :p

(ok, yes, I've TOTALLY been waiting for a chance to post that pic... hoping for a "you're fat and a nerd and live with your mom" post, but this will have to do) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is me, training Muay Thai (kickboxing) in Bangkok.

Theres something wrong with beatin each other to death with farm or sporting implements? Countries gone to hell.

With regards to Sherlock, he doesn't have to deal with you, so he won't. The fact that you are/were correct actually weighs against you. Arrogance of the first order, but about all that can be expected from the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tweet sent. Doubt he'll respond to me personally but hopefully with enough respectful tweets on the subject which he can't justify blocking people for, he'll have to come out with some sort of response.

Dev, If I am honest, I have no idea what this is all about. Would you mind a doing a brief synopsis, in a "for dummies" type of way please?

As I have limited data, I am unable to click your links. But I have added you and sherlock to my follow list on twitter.

Ta very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sad that Sherlock has responded in this fashion. A fair point was raised, and he seems to be doing his level best to ignore it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Man, you'd have thought he'd of learned from the last time on this merry go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is sherlock parsing intermediaries and isps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Tone Respectful

What a lovely day we are having , see pretty flowers

New euphemism for not answering the bloody question

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wes wrote: »
    Sad that Sherlock has responded in this fashion. A fair point was raised, and he seems to be doing his level best to ignore it.

Not sad, Its the line of successive governments. Ducking and diving active discussion its par of the course for incompetent and incoherrent politicians.

This is the type of response you can expect from someone so incompetent especially when you have his party leader actively telling the media they tell lies and give false promises. And the leader of the government cant engage in rational discussion without famous lines like 'where are the bodies gerry' 'where are the bodies'.

This is the type of tom foolery we have to deal with, they have brass necks and dont give two hoots about the country. Its all a gravy train until they grab their pension. There are no white nights in this country except for enterprise. Thats where the intelligence is and frankly i think thats where the patriotism is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

If anyone wants to watch the videos of the whole debate (I did my best to make them funny :) ) they can be found here.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/item/26577-sound-vision-and-some-fu

Its the third video where he said they wouldnt use his SI to sue intermediaries, (the part where I responded "They sued a country!!" :) )

Worth a watch imho.

You should stand against him at the next election, I'd vote for the thin nerd any day of the week.

Challenge him to a charity kickboxing fight as a publicity stunt, but watch out, labour like to play dirty.

'She's the promise. In the year of election' - Desire, U2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Secondly Boards is not a hive mind... we're a community of people with every opinion under the sun. I can TOTALLY live with that. I love differing opinion and robust arguments and debates.

What?! *removes the implants*

Advertisement