Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

My area is live since October but I don't have a cabinet yet. Is there any way of of encouraging them to build a cabinet for my estate that doesn't involve money? How do they decide which housing estate gets a cabinet first?

Do you have a Government Minister/ Local Councillor living in your estate? A promise of a vote might help :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The cabinets basically connect to existing cabinets that are just big junction boxes where the individual telephone lines to each house are connected to a big bundle of lines in a sealed cable that goes back to the exchange.

The first phase of rollout put fibre cabinets next to these.

There are some areas where there aren't any existing cabinets and lines are connected underground to junctions and are basically feed directly from the local exchange.

In areas like that they need to modify the phone wiring to add a distribution cabinet as well as install the fibre cabinet.

Those areas seem to be getting done in a second wave of rollout in areas mapped as complete.

The whole centre of Dublin and Cork cities are like that for example..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not defending Sky for a second. They have had plenty time to get their act together. But since Christmas, Eircom have prioritised the repair of phone lines that have been weather-damaged. So new connections to efibre are on the back burner for the time being.This will push Sky's plans back further. And Eircom are endeavouring to provide a service, while, at the same time, trying to offload 2000 staff. I would not be surprised at all if Sky walked away.

Not true, while Eircom will obviously prioritise repairs over new installs, most of the new installs are being down by KN Networks and other subcontractors and installs are continuing at pace.

In fact my parents just got Vodafone VDSL installed yesterday by KN/Eircom guys after ordering just last week *

The rollout is going extremely well.

Sky staff are lying through their teeth, the problems aren't on Eircoms side, they are on Skys side. It seems Sky were totally unprepared for the rollout of VDSL.

Sky's launch of Broadband in Ireland has been a total disaster. Their pricing isn't all that special, being more expensive then Vodafone. Mostly they are selling based on a big expensive advertising budget and some very questionable advertising (claiming BB is only €10, when in fact you also have to pay €30 for a phone line). Meanwhile they seem to be having massive problems with congestion on their network, with this forum being full of complaints of awful performance.

I've also heard that take up hasn't been so good and the sales staff are under loads of pressure to sell.

On the whole, Sky's entrance to the Irish BB market looks to be a mess and a complete disaster.

Fortunately for Sky, Eircoms entrance into the TV market with eVision doesn't look to be much better.

BTW If Sky do walk away, it will be an admission of failure on their own part. Vodafone seem to have no problems competing strongly with Eircom. If Sky can't do the same, it is only because of their own bad management.

Also I don't Sky will walk away, they really need to be in the BB triple paly market, specially as Eirocm is now doing IPTV and Vodafone will likely eventually do the same. Can't let these effect Skys TV cash cow.

* BTW the engineers were super nice and very quick and professional, great job. My parents are getting the full 70mb/s and the engineer said the line is capable of 100mb/s without vectoring! My parents house is basically sitting on the cabinet, which is 10 meters away on the garden wall outside the house :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

I was asked to post the following on behalf of Sky:
    We’re pleased to see that there is high demand and interest in a Sky Fibre broadband service. We are committed to launching our new fibre service later this year. We are continuing to trial the service to ensure we launch with a quality product which offers the best possible experience for customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Screw them. What are they trailing? Who is trailing it? Same bs for a year now. Glad to be rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I got sky installed in January and the agent on the phone told me he was trialing the fiber with them and it was horrendous for the first while but they seem to have ironed out alot of the issues so I would say it will be soon enough when they have it.

They are just reselling Eircom VDSL. What is there to trial?

They are just reselling Eircom VDSL. What is there to trial?

Installation, modem, provisioning, backhaul....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

jonny24ie wrote: »
    agent on the phone.

Various agents on various posters here have promised various stuff. I personally was told Nov 13, Jan 14, definitely by end of Feb 14, and no later than June. I think they are none the wiser than us, and all they know is the same vague responses that Sky's PR department sends out in the back of an envelop.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

Why do you post on behalf of Sky? Why dont they man up and come on here themselves?

Because posters wouldnt put up with the bs that they post on their own Sky forums.

They have been trialing fiber for at least 9 months now, and keep reposting the same bs since last July 2013.

Let them open a thread in the "talk to" forum like all other companies who want to interact with customers, not just one way posts "on behalf of"

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Installation, modem, provisioning, backhaul....

There's certainly no need to trial a modem for 9 months. The technicians are doing it already for the other networks. It's not rocket science. Come in, install a NTU and sort the cabinet.

I suspect they don't have the backhaul or else they don't want to replace the Sky hub which may not be vectoring compatible and would require replacing.

There's certainly no need to trial a modem for 9 months. The technicians are doing it already for the other networks. It's not rocket science. Come in, install a NTU and sort the cabinet.

I suspect they don't have the backhaul or else they don't want to replace the Sky hub which may not be vectoring compatible and would require replacing.

Vodafone/Eircom etc had pre-launch trials also, as is always required to iron out any unforeseen problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

well i wont hold my breath for sky fibre. it its like what they charge now they will actually be 10euro more expensive for me than vodafone where i can 70mb and calls included for 40euro and i get another 3 euro discount for having an 087 prepay mobile bringing it to 37 euro. Sky will charge me 50 euro for 6mb based on my exchange and I doubt they will even match that vodafone price if they do get around to it.

Vodafone/Eircom etc had pre-launch trials also, as is always required to iron out any unforeseen problems.

Of course, but this Sky saga has been going on for about a year.

Of course, but this Sky saga has been going on for about a year.

VDSL services haven't been available for a year, have they?

Did you ask Sky to give you the €27.50 offer they have for former triallists?

I just rang sky about this and the guy said there's nothing like that he's aware of. And about fibre he said they hope to do it this year but it could be last quarter or perhaps even later etc. Over all, sorry mate, there's nothing I can do for you, is there anything else I can do for you?

Anyhoo... waiting for a call back from Vodafone now. Switching time. Sky TV is also going (Saorview, DVB-S & Plex media server is plenty for now). But I do hope Sky brings out a kick ass fibre product in time - their customer support and service in general is is very good indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

VDSL services haven't been available for a year, have they?

Almost 9 months - 20th of May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm done asking Sky about Fibre... Been getting the same "We're currently trialling the service as we want the best for our customers" since June! It's ridiculous. My contract ends on 18/4 but I'm going to ring up on 18/3 to tell them I'm leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hello all,

Unbelievable !!!! Yet another version of the answer they have been spouting, for the past 12 months

Here's what they posted in their support forum last Sunday.

"In regards to Sky Fibre in ROI, just to reiterate what my colleagues have stated and the sticky thread - we're currently trialling with the aim to release it later this year at some point. When we have further updates we'll make this available to the community and we thank customers for their patience."

Can you spot the difference ?????

Hello all,

Still curious as to why Sky don't engage in the 'Talk To...' forums instead of drip feeding information via the Mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Unbelievable !!!! Yet another version of the answer they have been spouting, for the past 12 months

Here's what they posted in their support forum last Sunday.

"In regards to Sky Fibre in ROI, just to reiterate what my colleagues have stated and the sticky thread - we're currently trialling with the aim to release it later this year at some point. When we have further updates we'll make this available to the community and we thank customers for their patience."

Can you spot the difference ?????

:mad: boil your blood :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Yes I do wonder why Boards entertain such drivel from sky when Vodafone etc who do get a lot of flack from posters at least have the decency to use the Talk to forums and not use a third party messenger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I know the 3 months free offer with Vodafone is over but when it's time to cancel I might mention that to Sky and see what they say. I would hate to get tied into an 18 month Vodafone contract only for Sky to release ultra cheap Fibre (unlikely) a month later. That's what happened to me last year, joined Sky in April, Fibre began rolling out in May, I'm in a Fibre area and all so as far as I'm concerned that's 9-ish months that I've been missing out! The Vodafone Router has a USB port on it too which I think is a big plus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

they use eircoms line so I don't know if eircom have to allow them to use its fiber

they use eircoms line so I don't know if eircom have to allow them to use its fiber

Eircom are required to have wholesale access products available to other companies. This is because eircom originated as a state owned legal monopoly.

Sky (or anyone else) can use the eircom lines and FTTC cabinets.

So far, Sky hasn't opted to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Eircom are required to have wholesale access products available to other companies. This is because eircom originated as a state owned legal monopoly.

Sky (or anyone else) can use the eircom lines and FTTC cabinets.

So far, Sky hasn't opted to do that.

Not exactly - eircom has significant market power therefore the product is regulated to avoid monolopy situations which are not generally good for consumers.

the wholsale Regulated access products (including bitstream plus / VDSL) is available to any access seeker that wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

Why dont sky just get in bed with the esb and start rolling out fibre broadband, would allow them to properly compete with upc

crawler wrote: »
    Not exactly - eircom has significant market power therefore the product is regulated to avoid monolopy situations which are not generally good for consumers.

the wholsale Regulated access products (including bitstream plus / VDSL) is available to any access seeker that wants it.

The market's only regulated like that though because the main player is hugely powerful because it was a legal monopoly for about a century.

Without regulation we'd still have TE running everything.
    TE / eircom didn't get into the dominant position they're in by out competing other players.

Opening that market was fairly challenging.

Vodafone and O2 similarly had the advantage of being a duopoly for years. So similar arguments apply there too.

skydish79 wrote: »
    Why dont sky just get in bed with the esb and start rolling out fibre broadband, would allow them to properly compete with upc

That makes sense, but didn't we read that ESB has selected Vodafone for final stage of negotiations? I wonder if that would mean existing Vodafone eFibre connections would get a choice to switch.. To early to think about all that I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I rang Sky yesterday to port out to Vodafone. When I tried to port out to Vodafone Sky had some active order pending which meant I had to ring them AGAIN but they came back and asked me why I was moving to Vodafone , was it fibre or cost and I said both. He offered me 6 months broadband unlimited for €20 p/m inc line rental and VAT. There are no calls included but thats exactly what I wanted. I now have 6 months broadband for €20 and can move to Fibre with them IF it becomes available when my towns enabled or switch to Vodafone for fibre then. Thankfully they didnt tie me into any contract yet couldnt tell me when they'd be launching fibre

Advertisement