Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland Fibre Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Was speaking to a Sky Tier 2 broadband operator on the phone last week.

They said its currently being tested and should be rolled out before end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Will Sky offer TV over VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

murphaph wrote: »
    Will Sky offer TV over VDSL?

They already offer Sky Go is you are a Sky TV subscriber

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I don't think Sky have enough backhaul capacity atm for regular broadband let alone fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

and it's not "sky fibre" either it's just resold eircom vdsl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Got similar standard reply from Sky last week when I queried about Fibre upgrade.
    With regards to the launch of a Sky fibre service, we will be offering this service in Ireland this year as soon as we possibly can.

Trialling for our fibre service has already started so as to ensure we have the best quality of service ready for its full launch and we will have a website to register your interest in the new service available very soon.

It will be the same type of product that will be available from Eircom and Vodafone, providing a next generation fibre powered service at the same great value offering unlimited downloading we offer on our current Sky Broadband products.

We would advise that you log on to sky.ie regularly to keep an eye out for all the latest information but as an existing Sky Broadband & Talk customer We are sure you will be one of the first to be notified about how to proceed with upgrading to Sky Fibre in the near future.

I wish they would just hurry up and just get it done! It's been months since others went to market with this, and it's not like Sky didn't know this is all happening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

positron wrote: »
    Got similar standard reply from Sky last week when I queried about Fibre upgrade.

I wish they would just hurry up and just get it done! It's been months since others went to market with this, and it's not like Sky didn't know this is all happening!!

Same standard reply I got over 2 months ago

Sky got slammed for congestion issues when the increasing number of bb subscribers impacted on their inadequate backhaul infrastructure. I can imagine they are being super cautious with the introduction of VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Why can't they what every other provider is selling ???

Stuck in a contract with them.So predictable years waiting for BB over 3mb finally its here but SKY won't give it:mad:

Almost anyone / everyone who has been waiting for decent broadband and out of contract would be in the process of switching over now, and would be entering lengthy contracts with vodafone / eircome. Those who are already on contract with vodafone/eircom etc are getting free upgrades to fibre I think, and perhaps new contracts tying them down for another 12+ months. So by the time (if) sky come out with their fibre product, vast majority of the market would be in fresh contract with vodafone/eircom, and the majority of the rest would be those who are currently in contract with Sky with old broadband... I suppose this is also perhaps why Sky not exactly in a hurry to win fibre business..? Who knows!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Sorry to drag up an old thread, Is there any update on Sky fibre?, I last spoke to them in October and they said it was almost certainly going to be pre xmas. I take it it's still not available?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

mattb74 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, Is there any update on Sky fibre?, I last spoke to them in October and they said it was almost certainly going to be pre xmas. I take it it's still not available?
    Thanks

Short answer : still no news ... :rolleyes:
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Sky-Fibre-Ireland/td-p/1597441

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone on Sky having congestion issues?
    My parents in Ratoath are getting terrible speeds evenings and weekends on Sky.
    Line is capable of 20Mb but only getting 1-2Mb at peak times since early December.
    Sky sent out a new router and I used wireshark to extract the username&pw for testing on old Netgear DSL modem but no change in speed.

In the mornings, the speed returns to maximum line speed available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I heard it's sometime in Q2 of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They've been out and out lying for the past year about fibre. They are testing for ages now. My ass. Anyone on the test? I've yet to hear of anyone, yet they had loads on their ADSL test before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

My 12 month trial was up with them at the end of last month and I jumped ship.

Couldn't offer fibre while others could and the price was going up so why would I stay?

Service over the 12 months was fine except for one month, where speeds dropped to a crawl in the evenings. I engaged on their support forum and communication was very good.

They eventually resolved the issue and gave me a free month for my troubles.

Been on fibre since yesterday and predictably could never imagine going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm in a similar position to yourself and am also considering jumping ship!

May I ask what service you opted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

peking97 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position to yourself and am also considering jumping ship!

May I ask what service you opted for?

Moved to Vodafone at home package.

I heard it's sometime in Q2 of this year.

April 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I called them yesterday re this and was told that they really don't know, they're using Eircoms fibre and Eircom are having issues with it so Sky won't be proceeding before the issues are all ironed out. So none this wiser!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

I called them yesterday re this and was told that they really don't know, they're using Eircoms fibre and Eircom are having issues with it so Sky won't be proceeding before the issues are all ironed out. So none this wiser!

Really? Sounds like they are trying to deflect here.

I was told Feb by another support guy when I rang late December. To be honest I have no hopes of them going fibre anytime soon.

I have just come off contract with Sky, I am going to look at what Vodafone / Eircom has to offer in the area and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

positron wrote: »
    I was told Feb by another support guy when I rang late December. To be honest I have no hopes of them going fibre anytime soon.

I have just come off contract with Sky, I am going to look at what Vodafone / Eircom has to offer in the area and see.

Did you ask Sky to give you the €27.50 offer they have for former triallists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Eircom are having no issues with it. It's actually working very well. Many other companies including Vodafone, UTV, Digiweb and Magnet are using eircom wholesale fibre access products with great success and the feedback on forums here would support that it is an excellent product.

Most people who have the product seem to think it's excellent.

It's a bit low to be blaming eircom when it's sky who are the only major company without a fibre product.

The FTTC rollout seems to be a new beginning for eircom in terms of rolling out a consumer broadband product very rapidly that's really pretty good from a technical point of view.

Speeds will even improve this year when they switch 'vectoring' on. This cancels out line noise on the copper wiring that goes from your house to the cabinet and improves performance.

Did you ask Sky to give you the €27.50 offer they have for former triallists?

Thanks, I didn't know there was such a deal... Hmm, still Vodafone is only €35 for fibre... free calls to Spain is the only benefit with Sky - which is not a big deal when I can get exceptionally cheap rates with Tesco mobile for that... Hmm.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Eircom are having no issues with it. It's actually working very well. Many other companies including Vodafone, UTV, Digiweb and Magnet are using eircom wholesale fibre access products with great success and the feedback on forums here would support that it is an excellent product.

Most people who have the product seem to think it's excellent.

It's a bit low to be blaming eircom when it's sky who are the only major company without a fibre product.

The FTTC rollout seems to be a new beginning for eircom in terms of rolling out a product very rapidly that's really pretty good from a technical point of view.

Speeds will even improve this year when they switch 'vectoring' on. This cancels out line noise on the copper wiring that goes from your house to the cabinet and improves performance.

I'm not defending Sky for a second. They have had plenty time to get their act together. But since Christmas, Eircom have prioritised the repair of phone lines that have been weather-damaged. So new connections to efibre are on the back burner for the time being.This will push Sky's plans back further. And Eircom are endeavouring to provide a service, while, at the same time, trying to offload 2000 staff. I would not be surprised at all if Sky walked away.

Eircom have to prioritise fixing storm damaged lines. That will be customers of all companies using their access network, including Sky. You can't leave people without landline services.

Sky's fibre product is being delayed because they haven't implemented it themselves. They need to put backhaul, interconnection with eircom wholesale and whatever customer services and back office systems they need in place. This stuff isn't done at street cabinet level, it's sky's core network that needs to be setup to deal with it.

Storm damage is storm damage. Nothing can be done about it.

Huawei are actually building out the FTTC cabinet network for eircom and wiring is getting done by KN Networks crews. Eircom technicians and crews aren't all that heavily involved with installations.

They're outsourcing most of their build out.

If sky 'walk away' they simply won't have fibre access at all.

I honestly don't think eircom is the issue. They're performing very well with this FTTC stuff and the rollout has been extremely fast and effective by any standards.

Bear in mind eircom is significantly ahead of their own initial schedule on this rollout. Many of their target dates were moved forward.

Our area was initially set to get FTTC in Jan 2014. We got it in Sept 2013.

Ah, yea, Eircom are ahead of schedule, but thats only because the third party contractors are beating a faster path than Eircom can keep up with.

Anyway, back on topic. Sky have again given a fob-off answer on their support forum this morning.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Sky-Fibre-Ireland/td-p/1597441

I couldn't quite understand why Sky spent so much time and effort pushing unbundled ADSL2+ though. Seemed like a bit of a silly thing to do when FTTC was launching almost at the same time as they were launching ADSL!

They spent a fortune on ads when all their competitors are on VDSL2 (fibre to cabinet) up to 70Mbit/s (and will go beyond that this year when vectoring switches on possibly >100Mbit/s) and while UPC (their main competitor) is offering 200Mbit/s on cable (faster than any of their competitors in the UK!)

I would really have thought they'd have launched with FTTC products from the word go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Eircom have to prioritise fixing storm damaged lines. That will be customers of all companies using their access network, including Sky. You can't leave people without landline services.

Sky's fibre product is being delayed because they haven't implemented it themselves. They need to put backhaul, interconnection with eircom wholesale and whatever customer services and back office systems they need in place. This stuff isn't done at street cabinet level, it's sky's core network that needs to be setup to deal with it.

Storm damage is storm damage. Nothing can be done about it.

Huawei are actually building out the FTTC cabinet network for eircom and wiring is getting done by KN Networks crews. Eircom technicians and crews aren't all that heavily involved with installations.

They're outsourcing most of their build out.

If sky 'walk away' they simply won't have fibre access at all.

I honestly don't think eircom is the issue. They're performing very well with this FTTC stuff and the rollout has been extremely fast and effective by any standards.

Bear in mind eircom is significantly ahead of their own initial schedule on this rollout. Many of their target dates were moved forward.

Our area was initially set to get FTTC in Jan 2014. We got it in Sept 2013.

My area is live since October but I don't have a cabinet yet. Is there any way of of encouraging them to build a cabinet for my estate that doesn't involve money? How do they decide which housing estate gets a cabinet first?

Advertisement