Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hill Start Assist - Opinions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There are at least 3 different types of "Hill Start Assist" I can think of.

A lot will briefly hold the brakes on an incline so you don't roll backwards. No idea if this can be turned off. Only noticed this on a a couple of cars (think a new model C4 had it) as I don't usually roll back.

If you have an Electronic Handbrake (and I think that's what's in the 159, but it's been a while) then just driving forwards will release the handbrake without having to touch it. It's usually this system that bogs a car down, and needs more revs to get going than you'd usually require.

Third (and best option in my opninion) is a switchable system that needs activating via a button. Audi/VW and BMW use this system as a suppliment to the electronic handbrake. Activate the system and you don't need to use the electronic handbrake button. Handbrake goes on when you come to a complete halt, and disengages (without noticable resistance) when you drive off. Also stops the auto's creeping forward if you take your foot off the brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I have a pesky foot operated "Parking Brake" so the "hold" function is a godsend not only for steep hill starts but normal stopping at lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

R.O.R wrote: »
    A lot will briefly hold the brakes on an incline so you don't roll backwards. No idea if this can be turned off. Only noticed this on a a couple of cars (think a new model C4 had it)

I have it on my C4 Picasso. It holds the brakes for 2 or 3 seconds when the car is on an incline. The car also has an electric handbrake but the Hill Start Assist uses the front brakes to hold the car whereas the handbrake holds the rear wheels.

I've never had even a hint of a stall from the Hill Start Assist. I actually find it to be a useful feature. It catches me out when I get into a car that doesn't have it!

However, if I had the hand brake applied and went to pull away quickly then I could see a stall happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

R.O.R wrote: »
    There are at least 3 different types of "Hill Start Assist" I can think of.

A lot will briefly hold the brakes on an incline so you don't roll backwards. No idea if this can be turned off. Only noticed this on a a couple of cars (think a new model C4 had it) as I don't usually roll back.

If you have an Electronic Handbrake (and I think that's what's in the 159, but it's been a while) then just driving forwards will release the handbrake without having to touch it. It's usually this system that bogs a car down, and needs more revs to get going than you'd usually require.

Third (and best option in my opninion) is a switchable system that needs activating via a button. Audi/VW and BMW use this system as a suppliment to the electronic handbrake. Activate the system and you don't need to use the electronic handbrake button. Handbrake goes on when you come to a complete halt, and disengages (without noticable resistance) when you drive off. Also stops the auto's creeping forward if you take your foot off the brake.

Fourth.

Suburu forester. If the brake is pressed while the clutch is engaged the brakes remain in position until the clutch is released. Only active when there is a risk of rolling back, not forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I like it actually, particularly the Forester implementation of it. Works well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Automatic cars have had this for years, the fact that it is being implemented in more manual cars shows that the market has eventually copped onto the fact that the day of the manual car is slowly coming to an end especially in more developed wealthy countries.

Hill start assist like this is being implemented because drivers want more of the advantages of automatic cars. Most modern hybrid and electric cars are automatic and the new automatic gearboxes offer greater fuel economy to their manual counterparts. When you think about it the typical manual clutch, brake and accelerator layout has been around for nearly 100 years and hasn't been changed much and with newer better technology eventually comes change. And when you factor in the better fuel economy and lower maintenance of automatics then the trend towards automatics will continue for those with money to spend on cars. Ireland's VRT system and paddy powerty spec econo junk boxes will see to it that the Manual is around for a long time but not in upper to higher end cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I think its a great feature, surprised at all the negative feedback here!

Have it on the E90. Of course a good driver doesn't "need" it, but if it makes life easier why not?!

The E90 system holds the brakes for 2 secs after you engage a gear and take your foot off the brake. Just makes it easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Op, be careful with your hill start assist on the 159 (i have one too)
    It only holds the car if the slope is steep enough, and then not for long.
    It took me a while to get used to it but now its handy. Having said that, if it stopped working in the morning I wouldnt really care.

Advertisement