Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hill Start Assist - Opinions?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a new motor (Alfa 159 JTDm, for anyone interested) and I love it.

BUT, it's got hill start assist (or whatever it's proper name is) and I have to say, I feckin hate it. Had it on a Golf hire car at one point too and hated it then too, so it's not just the Alfa.

Is it just me? I've been driving 20 years now and learned the old fashioned way, with the handbrake, and even without it I'm fairly handy. This system nearly makes me stall the car for the split second while the brakes are still engaged, and I'm trying to move before the car cops on to release the brakes.

Maybe if/when I get fully used to it, I'll change my mind, but till then, aaargh!

What do ye lot think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pique wrote: »
    I've just bought a new motor (Alfa 159 JTDm, for anyone interested) and I love it.

BUT, it's got hill start assist (or whatever it's proper name is) and I have to say, I feckin hate it. Had it on a Golf hire car at one point too and hated it then too, so it's not just the Alfa.

Is it just me? I've been driving 20 years now and learned the old fashioned way, with the handbrake, and even without it I'm fairly handy. This system nearly makes me stall the car for the split second while the brakes are still engaged, and I'm trying to move before the car cops on to release the brakes.

Maybe if/when I get fully used to it, I'll change my mind, but till then, aaargh!

What do ye lot think of it?

I like cruise control ... Hill Start and Start/Stop I find a bit unsettling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Had it in my last car and it's useful on steep hills, but it did have a timeout whereby the car would roll back after 5 seconds or so which I always thought was pointless. If you want to roll backwards all you had to do was flick the accelerator to turn it off. I never noticed it holding the brakes too long, although the Insignia I'm driving at the moment does that all the time to where the car almost stalls. I suppose it's the difference between a good and bad implementation of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Pointless complexity, technology for technology's sake. Wait for the bill when it goes wrong. Some models also will not allow you to DIY the brake pads, as the rear caliper pistons have to be driven back through software.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,227 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

b318isp wrote: »
    Pointless complexity, technology for technology's sake. Wait for the bill when it goes wrong. Some models also will not allow you to DIY the brake pads, as the rear caliper pistons have to be driven back through software.

IMO a car should never roll backwards unless it is in reverse gear - hill start tech is an absolute no brainer to have on a car, it should be a standard feature on all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Can you turn it off? How is it set?
    My Prius has that feature, and to 'set' it I just press harder on the brake pedal while stopped. That will hold the brakes on until I hit the accellerator. If I don't give that extra push on the pedal, the hill start assist does not engage.

• Advertisement

IMO a car should never roll backwards unless it is in reverse gear - hill start tech is an absolute no brainer to have on a car, it should be a standard feature on all cars.

Handbrakes are a quite handy standard feature on most cars. Cheap, tried & tested and works generally quite well, in my experience.

The car should roll backwards if I want it to roll backwards.

Handbrakes are a quite handy standard feature on most cars. Cheap, tried & tested and works generally quite well, in my experience.

Ineed - and when you release the handbrake, the car should still not roll backwards without being in reverse. Hill start assist feature should still stop the car from rolling backwards.

I didn't say hill start should replace the handbrake, did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some models also will not allow you to DIY the brake pads, as the rear caliper pistons have to be driven back through software.

and you can acquire the software to do this reasonably cheap for many cars, making the rear pads just as easy to diy as your typical wind back job.

The car should roll backwards if I want it to roll backwards.

So put the car into reverse, hardly complicated.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    and you can acquire the software to do this reasonably cheap for many cars, making the rear pads just as easy to diy as your typical wind back job.

Interesting, can you get it for any model - as it was big money when I last looked into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

What :eek: why shouldn't it?

IMO if you cannot pull off on a hill without some form of electronic assistance you shouldn't be driving. I rarely (cant remember the last time) use the handbrake for hillstarts... How is it seen as hard to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well I have a cheap version of vagcom which I have used for many things such as coding changes, diagnosis, resetting lights etc and rear pad changes. This does vw, audi skoda and seat and it cost me well under €100.

I have seen dedicated pad replacement tools too for small money that do many makes of car.

So put the car into reverse, hardly complicated.

Well that's assuming the car will:
    A. Start in the first place (Flat Battery)
    B. That the car will go into reverse in the first place.

You can keep that Auto hill starty bollocks ... more rubbish to go wrong.

Ineed - and when you release the handbrake, the car should still not roll backwards without being in reverse. Hill start assist feature should still stop the car from rolling backwards.

This can be done manually quite well, and the hill assist systems are not perfect either.

It's a bit like auto-wipers. I've never had a problem in operating mine manually, and the automatic version we have on one of the cars doesn't operate as I'd like in light rain.

Both are compensators for human fallibility, but not essential for a significant proportion of drivers.

mickdw wrote: »
    Well I have a cheap version of vagcom which I have used for many things such as coding changes, diagnosis, resetting lights etc and rear pad changes. This does vw, audi skoda and seat and it cost me well under €100.

I have seen dedicated pad replacement tools too for small money that do many makes of car.

Cheers. I have the demo version of VAGCOM which doesn't drive back the pads. Good to hear about the other options. Thanks.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    What :eek: why shouldn't it?

IMO if you cannot pull off on a hill without some form of electronic assistance you shouldn't be driving. I rarely (cant remember the last time) use the handbrake for hillstarts... How is it seen as hard to do??

This can be done manually quite well, and the hill assist systems are not perfect either.

It's a bit like auto-wipers. I've never had a problem in operating mine manually, and the automatic version we have on one of the cars doesn't operate as I'd like in light rain.

Both are compensators for human fallibility, but not essential for a significant proportion of drivers.

I've only once or twice in my 7 years or so of driving had an issue where the car has rolled back when I didn't want it to - and maybe hill assist wouldn't have stopped it on those occassions either. My clutch control or hill starts off the handbrake were 99.99999% exactly what I needed them to be.

That doesn't mean I can't see the sense in stopping a car from rolling down a hill when a mistake has been made - people make mistakes all the time; there really isn't a good reason why a car should roll backwards without some actual input telling it that it should - it is a dangerous circumstance that should be avoided where possible.

I'm sure i'm not the only one here that hasn't quite caught the bite point right and the car has rolled back a bit in their driving history.

For a failsafe you could have some clanky button somewhere to turn the feature off if required but otherwise I think it is stupid that a car in fully working order can roll backwards accidently. The same way I think manual gear boxes are a pointlessly backwards piece of tech for the vast majority of people - autogear boxes make far more practical sense for the majority of people driving. I do like my manual, and i'd pick a manual myself, but an auto does make more practical sense. Having to manually change gears is unnecessary.

TBH if a driver can't control the car in such a simple, basic state I'd be worrying more about their abilities beyond pulling off on a feckin incline..

TBH if a driver can't control the car in such a simple, basic state I'd be worrying more about their abilities beyond pulling off on a feckin incline..

So your car has never, ever, rolled a bit backwards on you, ever? even a little?

Fair play.

If someone has to completely rely on it - yes, they have driving problems and should get some more lessons. But as a backup to generally good driving, just in case something goes wrong, i think it should be a standard safety feature.

You should never crash your car either - doesn't mean you'd do away with safety belts and airbags.

So your car has never, ever, rolled a bit backwards on you, ever? even a little?

Fair play.

I'm certain it has but, the whole movement of pulling off tends to counteract it fairly well, also failing that there's a pedal in the middle, and then a handbrake...

I'm just not seeing why rolling back, even a little.. is such a big issue?

Why would one want to ad more electronic crappery to a motor is beyond me,

The electronic handbrake in b6 Passats comes to mind..

• Advertisement

I'm certain it has but, the whole movement of pulling off tends to counteract it fairly well, also failing that there's a pedal in the middle, and then a handbrake...

I'm just not seeing why rolling back, even a little.. is such a big issue?

Why would one want to ad more electronic crappery to a motor is beyond me,

The electronic handbrake in b6 Passats comes to mind..

For the most part - it isn't a major issue - but i don't see why having such a feature to stop it happening is a big deal either. I could live without it very easily (only got this feature on my new car, in April) but even before I got the feature I thought it was stupid that a car, in first gear, would roll backwards.

If someone has to completely rely on it - yes, they have driving problems and should get some more lessons. But as a backup to generally good driving, just in case something goes wrong, i think it should be a standard safety feature.

You should never crash your car either - doesn't mean you'd do away with safety belts and airbags.

So hill start assist is up there with airbags and seatbelts in terms of essential safety devices in cars?
    For the most part - it isn't a major issue - but i don't see why having such a feature to stop it happening is a big deal either. I could live without it very easily (only got this feature on my new car, in April) but even before I got the feature I thought it was stupid that a car, in first gear, would roll backwards.

The car will only roll backwards in 1st if the clutch is disengaged and the brakes are also disengaged... I'm failing to see the essential need for it, surely the understanding that if there's no resistance applied, gravity will take over, is fairly basic..

I agree there obviously is a market for it, as an optional driver aid, but as a standard feature on all cars, I say Nay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i had hill-start assist on a Transit and loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Buy an automatic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Do they put this in your license too that you can only do a hill start when the car does the hard part for you ?

I wish electronic driver 'aids' like this could be turned off via ECU.
    Safety-based ones like ABS/EBD and so on (was sorely tempted to use 'etc' but I though that would be too many TLAs) should be locked down and permanent though.

Hill Start assist is (IMO) an example of more fannying about with a car to make it easier for incompetent muppets to drive.
    I saw someone on a very slight incline about 4 feet from the car behind almost roll back into it after 3 or 4 failed hill-starts. They were in a new 308 too, so not a banger with a shagged handbrake cable. Atrocious!

The car will only roll backwards in 1st if the clutch is disengaged and the brakes are also disengaged... I'm failing to see the essential need for it, surely the understanding that if there's no resistance applied, gravity will take over, is fairly basic..

If the clutch isn't fully engaged or engaged to the degree required - which some people have problems with on a hill - which many people have gotten just a little wrong on a hill. Something to stop the car from rolling backwards when you are actively trying to get it going forwards is such a practical thought, not having it on a car is purely about money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

+1

What use is it if I'm on an iced incline and I have no traction what so ever.....? And yes, it happened to me. Full control with a mechanical lever saved me and my car from a huge disaster, not some electronic tat I can't get a proper feel of.

Cheating on a driving test?

It's a gimmick for people who want to do less while driving. Breeds dependability and not the way to go, In My Honest Onion.

It can f*ck right off, I don't want it in any of my cars. Less electronics ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Rolling backwards isn't a problem. Rolling backwards and hitting something, or someone is.

Learn to do hill starts properly and that assist faff isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Pique, I'm not familiar with the specifics of the 159, but I am positive there must be a fuse you can pull somewhere to stop the pesky hill-start-assist thing from bothering you :)

Honestly I am fiercely against this kind of technology - "assists" that are not meant to improve the safety envelope of the car but promote incompetence through filling in for the driver's laziness.

Hill starts might be tricky to master for a learner driver, but an experienced driver shouldn't rely on an "assist". And if one really couldn't nail a proper slope start, there's the old and trusted handbrake technique :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

It's a good idea, but maybe needs some refinement.

I can see it becoming standard on cars in the future.

Maybe they will fit optional mock handbrakes for people who like to pull rods while they drive?

Advertisement