Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby Walsh & Paul Nicholls are parting company

Options
  • 26-05-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

BLOW7AdCMAAFxWs.jpg

It does'nt surprise me anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Over a month since he rode for Nicholls, Daryl Jacob is the first choice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

mike65 wrote: »
    Over a month since he rode for Nicholls, Daryl Jacob is the first choice now.

Think his last ride for PF was around 20th April . - Its only official now though.

I saw tension between both of them after many big race winners .

Nicholl's don't deserve him .

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rockycelt

I think Ted has made his feelings clear on nicholls , wasn't he caught on rte mic, saying something about him after tidal bay on the Hennesey?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I knew this was coming, Nicholls prob got the hump that Ruby overlooked many of his horses at Cheltenham, don't think Ruby is gonna miss out on much tbh

rockycelt wrote: »
    I think Ted has made his feelings clear on nicholls , wasn't he caught on rte mic, saying something about him after tidal bay on the Hennesey?

He called Nicholls a 'mongrel' 3 times :pac:

So in the space of a year Nicholls has lost his trainers championship, Kauto, Big Bucks, his main jockey and his assistant. Had his worst Cheltenham in recent years and is now left with Daryll Jacob......lovely :D

Still, at least his mot still has those tits he bought her :p

I'd say Davy Russell has just shít himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

kfallon wrote: »

So in the space of a year Nicholls has lost his trainers championship, Kauto, Big Bucks, his main jockey and his assistant. Had his worst Cheltenham in recent years and is now left with Daryll Jacob......lovely :D

Your in the same room and your cleaning it up, just a guess.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Don't forget Harry Fry leaving him last year too! We'll see what Nicholls is made of now without his 2 assistant trainers, top jock, most successful owner and top horses. Not much I'd guess.

As for himself and Ruby... They're both greedy, cocky bastards. Only difference is, now, one will continue to win all before him and one wont! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

I predicted this a couple of months back. Nicholls must be some boll*x but then Ruby is at an age where he'd prob want to settle regionally rather than trapesing across islands every second day. No better opportunity to do that when nicholls has a weak fleet in terms of previous recent years. When Mullins is here and has the artillery he does sure why not. Nicholls would seriously want to get other jock in, Daryl Jacob doesn't deserve to fill the boots

ste2010 wrote: »
    I predicted this a couple of months back. Nicholls must be some boll*x but then Ruby is at an age where he'd prob want to settle regionally rather than trapesing across islands every second day. No better opportunity to do that when nicholls has a weak fleet in terms of previous recent years. When Mullins is here and has the artillery he does sure why not. Nicholls would seriously want to get other jock in, Daryl Jacob doesn't deserve to fill the boots

If Ruby was guaranteed a steady stream of Grade 1 winners he'd still take the job, he's a hungry cúnt. He can see the decline so it's not worth his while, he just trotted out the travelling as an excuse.

The toys are gonna be out of the Nicholls pram on a regular basis next season.

Daryll Jacob - oh dear, his cousin would give anything a better ride than him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Perhaps one of the most successful NH partnerships of the modern era and not 1 person has anything good to say on here. (Perhaps a lot of pocket talk/jealousy?)

It is a shame for the sport. To people who are criticising the decline realise that Nichols was still second in the trainers championship with a relatively weakened team. No mean feat if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ai, well said Kiers.

Jesus I'd back these lads blindly on a Saturday week in week out. Doubles and trebles came in more times than not.

I'm not a fan of either man to be honest. But we're not in this game to like them, it's the horses we love. And Nicholls had some of the best and any man could have won on them. Fact. He did ride some beauties though, Tidal Bay in the Lexus most recently stands out among many.

Jacob, I hope will do well. He gets some stick, some of it harsh but I suppose if he's being compared to Ruby on every ride that's inevitable.

Regrettably,

Slattsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

While packaged as a personal decision (travel etc) this looks & smells like a commercial decision by Walsh. If Nicholls had the same firepower as a couple of years back, then Walsh would walk over dante's inferno to ride those horses. If Walsh was not as good as he was, Nicholls would make the same decision to use him less. Just a sensible, commercial decision. Fortunately for Walsh, his other trainer Mullins is getting stronger just as Nicholls is rebuilding. So the timing works.

In any event, sounds like Walsh will get to ride for him plenty more times & I do hope so - the Walsh/Nicholls combo at Prestbury park and other UK tracks is deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Ruby's wife had another baby there recently. He's getting to an age now where commuting back and forward to England every week is taking its toll on him and his family. Mullins's is only a forty minute drive away and he will have more days off instead of riding around the gaff tracks in England during the week.

You'd get the impression from Nicholls that he's a very difficult man to work for and he has fallen out with numerous people in racing down the years. One man will lose out more from this decision and it's not Ruby Walsh.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Perhaps one of the most successful NH partnerships of the modern era and not 1 person has anything good to say on here. (Perhaps a lot of pocket talk/jealousy?)

Because both men are horrible people, Ruby wouldn't piss on a punter if he was on fire (as well as being an absolute smartarse) and Nicholls thinks the NH world revolves around him. His arrogance knows no bounds, remember about 4-5 years ago he let it be known he was gonna win the Trainers Championship in Ireland too. Whatever about thinking it, you don't say it aloud!

It is a shame for the sport. To people who are criticising the decline realise that Nichols was still second in the trainers championship with a relatively weakened team. No mean feat if you ask me.

Point taken. No jealousy here. It's sad to see in some respect however..smiths, Stewart's, barbers given the successes they had with nicholls at the highest grade you'd think they'd be throwing horses at him like Potts do to de bromhead, O'Leary does across the board after the success with war of attrition or the Riccis with Mullins..
    Maybe if he was a good relationship manager things could be different

Because both men are horrible people, Ruby wouldn't piss on a punter if he was on fire (as well as being an absolute smartarse) and Nicholls thinks the NH world revolves around him. His arrogance knows no bounds, remember about 4-5 years ago he let it be known he was gonna win the Trainers Championship in Ireland too. Whatever about thinking it, you don't say it aloud!

All fairly rich coming from a man named after one of the most corrupt in the sport.

I respect the fact that they are probably not the most likeable of people. But I for 1 have countless memories of azertyiuop, master minded, kauto, Denman, and perhaps my favourite of all Big Bucks. It is the end of an era as such and a bit of respect and thankfulness should be given to the great moments that both have given us all for the last decade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mickm1986

no matter what peoples opinion of ruby walsh is, hes an incrediable jockey and people dont reach the top and stay there without the attitude and mentality that he has. hes a great ambassador for what this country can produce.

mickm1986 wrote: »
    no matter what peoples opinion of ruby walsh is, hes an incrediable jockey and people dont reach the top and stay there without the attitude and mentality that he has. hes a great ambassador for what this country can produce.

I think he's the best jockey around full stop with Barry Geraghty another genius in the saddle. I think BG doesn't get the credit he deserves and is overshadowed by ruby and "Tony Montana McCoy"

All fairly rich coming from a man named after one of the most corrupt in the sport.

One of the most corrupt??? :confused: Do you have any evidence of that?

Plus it's a bit rich to be mentioning corruption when Ruby has a longstanding working relationship with Tony Martin......

If ruby races more in ireland its going to be a great contest between him and davy russell for champion jockey!! who would you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ruby easily. Sure Ruby nearly won it last year.

One of the most corrupt??? :confused: Do you have any evidence of that?

Well there was the blatant pulling of Ballinger Ridge in Lingfield. He tested positive for a banned substance only twice. He was 1 of the 16 tried at the old bailey for race fixing and i do recall an incident where he pulled Stuart Webster off a horse in Beverly 1 day. Clearly a model citizen!!

Anyway lets get back on topic here.

What are peoples greatest memories of the partnership? I think Master Minded's first Champion Chase sticks out for me. Or Big Bucks 3rd World Hurdle when Grand Crus had him going all the way to the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

The fact that Ruby and Nicholls were brilliant together doesn't necessarily mean we should all mourn their parting as a sad day for the sport. As people they never really came across as genuinely nice to me as a punter (unlike someone like Barry Geraghty) and while they got many a Saturday double and treble up for me I'd never let that cloud my judgement of them as people. Just like Bolger being arrogant, Jonjo and Martin being crooks and Henderson being a part-time chemist, I've no problem backing their horses and fully appreciate their great achievements. I will not miss the combination, unlike many, however.

Ruby and Nicholls have produced some of the recent legends of the game but they gained plenty from the status they earned (particularly Nicholls) and clearly faltered as a relationship when big meeting success stagnated. Ruby is leaving Nicholls for his own benefit, no other reason - just like he has always ran his whole career, so don't know why anyone would see it as a sad day for the sport. Ruby surely won't be sad when he's riding Mullins winners from Killarney to Japan!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

Nicholls yard is in a very bad place and has being going downhill for a few years, there has been nothing of note to come in and start a new generation of grade 1 winners for when kauto and big bucks pushed on. Ruby wisely jumping from a sinking ship to concentrate on Mullins who is IMO a match for henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

nicholls is finished at the top for now anyway. he will have the odd winner here and there but skelton is a big loss. jacob number 1 lol this is the end of nicholls and ruby knows this.

Well there was the blatant pulling of Ballinger Ridge in Lingfield. He tested positive for a banned substance only twice. He was 1 of the 16 tried at the old bailey for race fixing and i do recall an incident where he pulled Stuart Webster off a horse in Beverly 1 day. Clearly a model citizen!!

Blatant in your eyes, perhaps! What I saw that day was a monumental cock-up tbh!

You do know there was a court case about that Ballinger Ridge ride (and others), yeah? It was thrown (yes that's right, thrown) out of court! They had absolutely no evidence or case against him! The BHA didn't even attempt to go near him when they went after Williams & Lynch afterwards. It was well documented that Paul Scotney had drunkenly promised to "get Kieren Fallon"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/struthers-no-fallon-vendetta-527009

As for taking recreational drugs, how is that corruption? :confused: It may well be stupid but it's certainly not corruption! I would say that Tony Martin winner Wrong Turn a couple of weeks ago is more of a case of corruption in Horse Racing to be quite honest!

Davy russell for the title i hope but we will see. looking forward to seeing more of ruby in ireland. I would say the nicholls/ruby combinations greatest success is the period of time and the amount they won in that time. off subject a small bit but is there any site thats good to use if you want to keep track of a particular horse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

could see Richie Johnson stepping up to the plate, he deserves better than riding for Hobbs & Vaughan.

mickm1986 wrote: »
    Davy russell for the title i hope but we will see. looking forward to seeing more of ruby in ireland. I would say the nicholls/ruby combinations greatest success is the period of time and the amount they won in that time. off subject a small bit but is there any site thats good to use if you want to keep track of a particular horse??

ATR have a tracker but they don't email you until the day of the race (or just before it). Would prefer one myself that alerts you at the 5 day entry stage tbh!

• Advertisement

ATR have a tracker but they don't email you until the day of the race (or just before it). Would prefer one myself that alerts you at the 5 day entry stage tbh!

Thanks kfallon!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement