Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your 13 for RWC 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Payne for me, but that depends on whether Ulster will move him to 13. I think they're likely to keep him at full-back though, so it's a toss up between Macken and Henshaw for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Genuinely surprised to not see more mentions of Eoin O'Malley here. He'll be back for next season and I think he showed some potential, provided he can stay fairly injury free there's plenty of time for him to develop before RWC2015. AFAIR, even BOD mentioned in an interview at some point that he rates EOM very highly. Considering Leinster need wingers next year I don't think it's really an option to try putting Luke Fitz at 13. Cave is a definite option, too. Payne, I'm not sure about. We haven't seen him play there much at all and, while there's time for him to get a good run there, I'll wait until seeing him more often to make an opinion on him there. Earls is an option at 13, but I really don't want to see him there, TBH, I think he's much better on the wing. Don't know as much about Henshaw TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Luke Fitgerald is a very decent shout. If he can stop getting injured (granted, a big if) he could become a lethal 13. He played at centre a few times for Leinster and seemed to cause chaos in opposition defences almost at will. Plus with Sexton gone and Darcy and BOD on the way out, a decision may be made to play Luke in midfield to counter the lack of big-game experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

CatFromHue wrote: »
    When is Fitzgerald actually going to play 13 though?

BOD is with Leinster for next season and EOM will be fully back too and we'll have a short list of players for the outside back positions i.e. Leinster need wingers for next season not another 13.

I actually agree that playing 13 at Leinster may be the obstacle for Luke. But realistically BOD will play less than 50% of Leinsters games next season even outside international windows so plenty of scope for someone else. It's really a question of whether Luke can get ahead of EOM to stake his claim to it.

For Luke, his chances of an Ireland 13 shirt in 2015 probably depends on both kearneys, kirchner and Ferg staying fit and in form in 2014 along with someone like Adam Byrme becoming a realistic pro 12 stater....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

jacothelad wrote: »
    Like Earls on the wing.....:D:D

Not the point I was trying to make, so I've edited my original post. I was intending to bemoan another SHer playing for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Not the point I was trying to make, so I've edited my original post. I was intending to bemoan another SHer playing for Ireland.

That's grand. I assume you'll be saying similar when CJ Stander eventually qualifies and is up against Heaslip or SOB for the backrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Darren Cave for me.

Underrated player makes those around him look good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

padser wrote: »
    I actually agree that playing 13 at Leinster may be the obstacle for Luke. But realistically BOD will play less than 50% of Leinsters games next season even outside international windows so plenty of scope for someone else. It's really a question of whether Luke can get ahead of EOM to stake his claim to it.

For Luke, his chances of an Ireland 13 shirt in 2015 probably depends on both kearneys, kirchner and Ferg staying fit and in form in 2014 along with someone like Adam Byrme becoming a realistic pro 12 stater....

Dave Kearney, McFadden, Fitzgerald....are they are only Senior wingers next season. Maybe Kirchner I suppose.

If so I can't see Fitzgerald even being considered by O'Connor as a 13. We're just too light to even experiment with it, you could argue we've more 13's than we do wingers (BOD, EOM, and McFadden)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Dave Kearney, McFadden, Fitzgerald....are they are only Senior wingers next season. Maybe Kirchner I suppose.

If so I can't see Fitzgerald even being considered by O'Connor as a 13. We're just too light to even experiment with it, you could argue we've more 13's than we do wingers (BOD, EOM, and McFadden)!

Except McFadden's one of those you're naming wing!

Presume you meant Macken?

BO'D old and injury prone he'll be rested a lot especially after the Lions and EO'M seems to constantly be injured at the moment. I'd say he's more likely to use on of the more inexperienced guys on the wing and we have more young wingers than centres. I'm not saying Fitzgerald will get a good run at 13 or that he should be there for Ireland but there is a lot in favour of him getting a run there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Hagz wrote: »
    Payne for me, but that depends on whether Ulster will move him to 13. I think they're likely to keep him at full-back though, so it's a toss up between Macken and Henshaw for me.

Griffin and O'Malley are much further along the line than Macken IMO. Macken's defence needs to improve dramatically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Why not put McFadden back to where he first caught everyones eye. I honestly don't think Fitzgerald would be a good 13. Don't think he's ever really stood out playing in the centre when he's had the chance. EOM is a good operator when he's healthy though he's a bit on the small side.

its_phil wrote: »
    Griffin and O'Malley are much further along the line than Macken IMO. Macken's defence needs to improve dramatically

True. But I still think Macken has a big future and I think he has more potential than the two centres you've named. Hopefully O'Connor gives him a good amount of game-time.

Stev_o wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Fitzgerald would be a good 13. Don't think he's ever really stood out playing in the centre when he's had the chance.

He definitely stood out when he played 12 for Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If Payne can play 13 then he's a shoe in. Fantastic player. I think he'd be ahead of Kearney for the Irish 15 jersey at the moment. Two quality players, would be great to have them in the same team.

It will be interesting to see how O'Malley, Reid and possibly Macken get on at Leinster, presumably they'll be seeing increased game time next season and the season after (prior to the world cup) will have a full season under their belt post-O'Driscoll. O'Malley has looked very good, if needing to bulk up a bit, but he's so injury prone it's tough to see him making an impact if he continues his current run of injuries.

Cave is good but not sure he has the ability to be a top class international 13. Marshall may also end up at 13 with Olding at 12 at Ulster perhaps.

Henshaw is another contender, don't forget Luke Fitzgerald also, might be a bolter.

Strange times, a massive group of promising young players coming through at the same time. Great for Irish rugby but serious competition in just about every position from young lads coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Dannie Poolman, will be IQ in summer 2015, already very consistant, espacially in defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

That's grand. I assume you'll be saying similar when CJ Stander eventually qualifies and is up against Heaslip or SOB for the backrow?

Hopefully so. Depending how he turns out, I might be calling for him to get the one cap to keep him at Munster, but I'd much rather him play in a darker shade of green.

True. But I still think Macken has a big future and I think he has more potential than the two centres you've named. Hopefully O'Connor gives him a good amount of game-time.

Don't agree especially with Griffin. I had big hopes for Macken having followed him in school much more than Griffin but bar that game when he got the hat-trick I haven't been impressed when I have seen him.

Griffin has gone from doubts on size in pro game to becoming Connachts top defender. Very good on the floor and has made more than a few massive turnovers since New Year. Hasn't rediscovered spark in attack though since coming back from surgery. Hopefully good pre-season does the job. Same goes for EOM there too.

connachta wrote: »
    Dannie Poolman, will be IQ in summer 2015, already very consistant, espacially in defence

I think Poolman's future is at winger, but he is very capable there

its_phil wrote: »
    Griffin has gone from doubts on size in pro game to becoming Connachts top defender. Very good on the floor and has made more than a few massive turnovers since New Year. Hasn't rediscovered spark in attack though since coming back from surgery. Hopefully good pre-season does the job. Same goes for EOM there too.

I think Griffin will struggle to get a look in if Lam tests Henshaw at 13. He has had the benefit of little to no competition for the shirt (at least no where near the competition that Macken faces), and as such has had a lot more game-time than Macken, even with his injuries. Good player though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 boschmaster

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Madigan yet. He's a genuine play maker, aggressive in attack and if he's put into space or if he sees a half gap he'll burst through it. He has lovely hands also, I was very impressed with some of his soft touches against Italy. I haven't seen enough of him at 12 but I well prefer him at 10. It's pretty unrealistic to see him at 13 now that SexBomb is gone but for games against Treviso, Marsh could get a shot at 10 with MadDog at 13.

• Advertisement

(at least no where near the competition that Macken faces)

No in club rugby has the same competition Macken has!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Madigan yet. He's a genuine play maker, aggressive in attack and if he's put into space or if he sees a half gap he'll burst through it. He has lovely hands also, I was very impressed with some of his soft touches against Italy. I haven't seen enough of him at 12 but I well prefer him at 10. It's pretty unrealistic to see him at 13 now that SexBomb is gone but for games against Treviso, Marsh could get a shot at 10 with MadDog at 13.

Yeah would love to see that happen aswell, he's been picking some good lines at 12, and while 13 is a different position, would be nice to see him there.

Certainly looked like he could do a job in a broken up game against Italy in Rome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Dont think Madigans near the same threat at anwhere other than 10, he's all about the step off his right and it works best at outhalf where he catches advancing defences flat footed and forwards lingering closer to the ruck.

I wonder would Marshalls future be better suited at 13, he takes a lot of punishment at 12 and with his injury record he might benefit from a switch to a less attritional position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Marshall played 13 outside Olding for Ulster earlier this season and looked brilliant. I would not be surprised in the least if he ended up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can we just up the chanting of "one more year" to every time BOD touches the ball next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Marshall played 13 outside Olding for Ulster earlier this season and looked brilliant. I would not be surprised in the least if he ended up there.

I remember that although I tend to think they are better the other way round, hard to say just yet.

It will be interesting to see how Farrell goes next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

How often has Payne played at 13 for Ulster? He's a great player, but I'd be sick to see another player who can't get considered for his own national team stroll into the Irish team.

He played a full season at 13 for the Blues and was mentioned as a possible AB bolter. He's good. And at the moment he's still AB eligible, so if you don't want him...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

So to summarise, its likely to be one of: Griffin, Henshaw, Payne, Cave, Olding, Marshall, Macken or O'Malley..

We'd almost be unlucky if one of those DIDNT go on to be a capable international 13.. So much choice, hopefully the cream will rise to the top come 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

He played 13 outside Wallace, not Olding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

tolosenc wrote: »
    BOD. Please?

yes please - the Ryan Giggs of rugby - the experience he brings to the midfield and back play is invaluable

Advertisement