Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your 13 for RWC 2015

Options
  • 26-05-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭

I know its a bit early to be discussing but seeing as o driscoll has completely ruled himself out of playing in it who do ye think will start? I dont think earls or cave are good enough to play the likes of france, new zealand but who knows they might improve in the next few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Jared Payne. Not a contest for me once he's fit and gets a run in the team before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I hope it'll be Henshaw, outside backs of
    11. Zebo
    12. Marshall
    13. Henshaw
    14. Gilroy
    15. Kearney
    look very dangerous indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I'm biased, but I'd give Payne a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah there's a bit of a drop off after Payne. I'd like to see Marshall there again after a few displays there for Ulster.

I'd be fairly sure that it'll be an Ulster player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Payne most likely though I'd give Henshaw a shot and we shouldn't forget Cave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

How often has Payne played at 13 for Ulster? He's a great player, but I'd be sick to see another player who can't get considered for his own national team stroll into the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

How often has Payne played at 13 for Ulster? He's a great player, but I'd be sick to see another player who can't get considered for his own team stroll into the Irish team.

I'm happy to be corrected by my Ulster brothers but I'm pretty sure Payne is a 13 that just happens to play fullback for Ulster because they have Cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

DGRulz wrote: »
    I'm happy to be corrected by my Ulster brothers but I'm pretty sure Payne is a 13 that just happens to play fullback for Ulster because they have Cave.

Pretty sure you're right, but I'm genuinely curious to know often he has played 13 for Ulster. AFAIK it'd only be 2/3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

DGRulz wrote: »

We have Cave and also apart from Nelson no other FB. Maybe next season we might see a bit more of Gilroy at FB which might allow Payne more of a run at 13.

There was a moment towards the end yesterday when Ulster were 6 points down and in and around the Leinster 22 where Payne just arched his way round BOD, it was a class bit of play that unfortunately for Ulster didn't lead to anything. I'd say Payne has a real chance of being BOD's successor. That said he would need to playing there for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Pretty sure you're right, but I'm genuinely curious to know often he has played 13 for Ulster. AFAIK it'd only be 2/3 times.

Sounds about right, going on memory he plays there when Cave is rested. But if the IRFU wanted him played more in the centre before/after he gets IQ you can be pretty sure words and suggestions would be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

BOD. Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I think it could be Olding and Marshall at 12/13. Olding really has performed well since has been given a shot. Ulster are really spoilt for choice in the backs with two good players for each position.

Mind you, Cave is no slouch and is vastly underrated. He is a solid, not spectacular centre, but does show a bit of class from time to time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Fooker wrote: »
    I think it could be Olding and Marshall at 12/13. Olding really has performed well since has been given a shot. Ulster are really spoilt for choice in the backs with two good players for each position.

Mind you, Cave is no slouch and is vastly underrated. He is a solid, not spectacular centre, but does show a bit of class from time to time...

Yes its a shame olding and marshall are both 12 great talents

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Payne for me.. Cave is a good club player.. I hope Earls concentrates on being a winger, I honestly think if he gets a run of games there he can be back in the starting team, a coach like Schmidt can help him massively also. He is without doubt the best player with ball in hand that Ireland have

when will payne be irish qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Payne for me.. Cave is a good club player.. I hope Earls concentrates on being a winger, I honestly think if he gets a run of games there he can be back in the starting team, a coach like Schmidt can help him massively also. He is without doubt the best player with ball in hand that Ireland have

Earls? He's exactly the type of winger that Schimdt didn't seem interested in having at Leinster. If Schmidt brings the Leinster style to Ireland then I think Earls might struggle to fit into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

case885 wrote: »
    Yes its a shame olding and marshall are both 12 great talents

I think both have the skills for 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

when will payne be irish qualified?

3 years would be start of next season.

For me he has to be in the Irish team. Star quality where ever he plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Griffin, Henshaw and EOM all must be in with a shout

Earls? He's exactly the type of winger that Schimdt didn't seem interested in having at Leinster. If Schmidt brings the Leinster style to Ireland then I think Earls might struggle to fit into it.

Could you elaborate? What's the say Earls can't adapt. As I said, Schmidt is the type of coach Earls needed at the start of his career

• Advertisement

Could you elaborate? What's the say Earls can't adapt. As I said, Schmidt is the type of coach Earls needed at the start of his career

completely off topic :P

completely off topic :P

No not really

yes it is your just trying to make an argument for schmidt to start earls on the wing (which hopefully wont happen), nothing to do with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ehhhhh?

He is in me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Can't believe no one has mentioned Luke Fitz. Genuine contender for 13, proven world class talent (as opposed to potential world class talent of many of the people mentioned) and a skill set very very suited to playing 13.

Also, suggesting that the young guys with talent will have relegated Tommy Bowe to the bench within 2 seasons seems optimistic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

How often has Payne played at 13 for Ulster? He's a great player, but I'd be sick to see another player who can't get considered for his own team stroll into the Irish team.

Like Earls on the wing.....:D:D

Ehhhhh?

He is in me hole.

Right, one of the best.. and when I say best with ball in hand, I generally mean for line breaks. If there was a competition consisting of and 1 on 1 in a small grid, my money is on Earls all day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

padser wrote: »
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Luke Fitz. Genuine contender for 13, proven world class talent (as opposed to potential world class talent of many of the people mentioned) and a skill set very very suited to playing 13.

Also, suggesting that the young guys with talent will have relegated Tommy Bowe to the bench within 2 seasons seems optimistic as well.

When is Fitzgerald actually going to play 13 though?

BOD is with Leinster for next season and EOM will be fully back too and we'll have a short list of players for the outside back positions i.e. Leinster need wingers for next season not another 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Right, one of the best.. and when I say best with ball in hand, I generally mean for line breaks. If there was a competition consisting of and 1 on 1 in a small grid, my money is on Earls all day

Yeah the linebreak theory is perhaps more coherent, but with regards your 1 on 1, give me Luke Fitz, Gilroy or Zebo anyday.

With regards to real ball in hand, I could list at least 5 that are better than Earls.

Acatually his handling skills and lack of vision are an issue in his game imo.

• Advertisement

Yeah the linebreak theory is perhaps more coherent, but with regards your 1 on 1, give me Luke Fitz, Gilroy or Zebo anyday.

With regards to real ball in hand, I could list at least 5 that are better than Earls.

I would still go with Earls over those players for one on one. Earls always looks dangerous given the smallest bit of space.. still though, he isn't a center, but is a good damn winger

Advertisement