Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys 5th album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Was never a fan of Arctic Monkeys. Actually had a fairly large dislike for them when they were first around, mainly due to the hype machine around them. Some of their tunes have grown on me lately and I saw them and Electric Picnic and thought they were decent.

A friend of mine suggested I give A.M. a listen, as I'm a big qotsa fan and he reckons there's some influence there. Gotta say, I'm a big fan of this album. I love that slightly darker sound/feel you hear in songs like One for the Road and Why'd Do You Only Call Me When You're High. I went back and listened to some of their older stuff as I never did when it was first out, some decent tunes in there but I couldn't really get into it. Much prefer the sound of their new stuff, I dunno there's something much more mature about it that I like. The falsetto backing vocals should be really cheesy, but actually they're great.

Agree with a lot of this, was very much 'meh' about Artic Monkey's - thought they had some nice hits, but to be honest never really got into them (maybe never gave them much of a chance).

However, I think AM is an absolutely brilliant album.

They've certainly won me over as a fan with this album

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

did anyone think that the artic monkeys played like they couldn't be bothered at ep? I've heard loads of people say that they were class at that gig but I felt no enthusiasm. saw them at benicassim a few years ago and they stole the show but that might be as beni is basically an English festival in spain.

also whats the story with fecking ticket master charging 6.10 per ticket charges for a ticket for the arcade fire/pixies gig? is this the norm now? absolutely not justified

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I enjoyed their set at EP although Turner was clearly hammered on stage. They do seem like they are on auto pilot a bit though, the setlist never changes, apart from a few new additions when the new album came out. Even the way Turner interacts with the crowd between songs is the same with each gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

MadYaker wrote: »
    Even the way Turner interacts with the crowd between songs is the same with each gig.

He interacts with the crowd like an absolute twat. I enjoyed them at EP but thought he was fairly cringey whenever he said anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

He interacts with the crowd like an absolute twat. I enjoyed them at EP but thought he was fairly cringey whenever he said anything.

He's a rock star, nearly every front man acts like a twat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

After reading the chat on Arctic Monkey's staging, I am hoping the gig on Marlay Park in July is not 'autopilot'. I am definitely looking forward to it.

Have to say I like this album. While I listened to a few songs on the album, I was too quick to judge. The album shows how AM have grown as a band with their new refined tunes.

'whatever people say I am, I am not' is still my favourite Arctic Monkey's album..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

Looper007 wrote: »
    He's a rock star, nearly every front man acts like a twat.

Nearly. But not Dave Gahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

After reading the chat on Arctic Monkey's staging, I am hoping the gig on Marlay Park in July is not 'autopilot'. I am definitely looking forward to it.

Have to say I like this album. While I listened to a few songs on the album, I was too quick to judge. The album shows how AM have grown as a band with their new refined tunes.

'whatever people say I am, I am not' is still my favourite Arctic Monkey's album..

Even if they are on as someone put it "autopilot" that doesn't mean that the performance still isn't really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭madnolla

I love the arctic monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭madnolla

Eagerly awaiting this album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

madnolla wrote: »
    Eagerly awaiting this album

Think you may have been confused by the thread title. This thread is about AM, their latest album which has been out since September last year.

Well they won two Brit awards tonight. They are back on the Commercial scene, even out voting One Direction is amazing in these day's and times.

Great to see them win album of the year, well deserved. A lot of people are giving out about Turner and his acceptance speech, I thought it was brilliant. Delighted for them.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Great to see them win album of the year, well deserved. A lot of people are giving out about Turner and his acceptance speech, I thought it was brilliant. Delighted for them.

Just love how upset people are getting over his speeches. It gave the show a little kick in the ass it needed and gives the guy's some paper inches too, job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

turner is god !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Totally agreed, I can't believe some of the flak he is taking. I see Peaches Geldof had a pop at him today.

Jayyysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Totally agreed, I can't believe some of the flak he is taking. I see Peaches Geldof had a pop at him today.

Jayyysus.

She's a d ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I didn't mind what Turner said at all really, molehill and all that.

I do kinda miss when he was the more quiet kind though, just seem reserved away from fame and just sang the songs. Now he embraces fame, nothing wrong with that as such, it just seems he comes across as trying too hard sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

why has he got to speak in that stupid accent though?

"And yeah, I'd love to tell you all of my problem
    You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
    So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook "

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    why has he got to speak in that stupid accent though?

"And yeah, I'd love to tell you all of my problem
    You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
    So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook "

Ah here, the amount of times I've seen those lines quoted regarding Turner is ridiculous. It's not like he preaches that he's from the ghetto in Sheffield and won't forget his roots. That song was prob written in 2005 and I'm pretty sure it was a dig at people who come back from J1's talking like a knob! And to my knowledge he's been living/recording in the US since '09 so boo hoo if it rubs off on him. And his voice has naturally deepened shock horror! I thought the speech was cringe too but then again I've always thought he was awfully awkward in interviews and went off on strange tangents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Love the new Album but Turner is a bit of knob. His appearance on Jools Holland was best described as cringey

shamtastic wrote: »
    Ah here, the amount of times I've seen those lines quoted regarding Turner is ridiculous. It's not like he preaches that he's from the ghetto in Sheffield and won't forget his roots. That song was prob written in 2005 and I'm pretty sure it was a dig at people who come back from J1's talking like a knob! And to my knowledge he's been living/recording in the US since '09 so boo hoo if it rubs off on him. And his voice has naturally deepened shock horror! I thought the speech was cringe too but then again I've always thought he was awfully awkward in interviews and went off on strange tangents.

That's all well and good but it still doesnt explain why his voice only changed when he adopted this teddy boy persona. He sounds like a knob. The music is still great though.

That's all well and good but it still doesnt explain why his voice only changed when he adopted this teddy boy persona. He sounds like a knob. The music is still great though.

The music is all that has ever mattered though. Morrissey has sounded like a knob his whole career, but the smiths were still brilliant.

The music is all that has ever mattered though. Morrissey has sounded like a knob his whole career, but the smiths were still brilliant.

Exactly. The music is all that matters. The difference is Morrissey always sounded like a knob, whereas Turner seems to have consciously lost his sheffield accent to sound like an elvis impersonator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Looper007 wrote: »

Just love how upset people are getting over his speeches. It gave the show a little kick in the ass it needed and gives the guy's some paper inches too, job done.

Am a new devotee to AM, I couldn't warm to their previous output but this album is just classy from start to finish. Great riffs and lyrical phrasing, this album has given me more ear-worms than I thought possible from 12 songs. Having tried to enjoy their Glasto performance and feeling like the odd one out by not doing so, I'm almost relieved to be able to embrace this record.

This is a well deserved reward for a finely crafted rock record, fair play.

That acceptance speech was pompous and faintly ludicrous. I loved it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I still happily think that Humbug is easily their best effort, am I only only one? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Humbug is still my favourite of all their albums.

About the American accent thing, he has been living in America for almost 5 years now. I think sometimes when singing he sounds American but when speaking its still an English accent really. To be honest if he still had a thick Sheffield accent most Americans wouldn't understand a word he was saying.

I still happily think that Humbug is easily their best effort, am I only only one? :pac:

I love it but put SIAS WPTIATWIN and AM in front of it. It's a fine album that demands listen after listen to get it's greatness. It was a smart move to make that album that it meant they could go anywhere they wanted and not be typecast. It's a pity many see it as bad album which it's so not. Crying Lighting, Secret Door, My Propeller Cornerstone, Dance little Liar and The Jeweller's Hand are some of the best songs they've done and plus the B-sides from that time are some of their greatest stuff. Really underrated and without it they wouldn't have got to probably they're best album AM for me.

Exactly. The music is all that matters. The difference is Morrissey always sounded like a knob, whereas Turner seems to have consciously lost his sheffield accent to sound like an elvis impersonator.

It's all performance and I think it's more he's become a frontman instead of the shy Sheffield lad that many fell for that shock many to be fair. He's got a swagger to him that he lacked before on stage. He needed it cause the band couldn't have moved on to big stadiums and arena's . Morrissey and Turner are master's of playing the press for their own advantages. AM has gone back to number two in the British charts thanks to all the OTT about his speeches so job well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'll never forget, my 1st ever gig was AM in the O2 during their Humbug tour when I was like 15 and was utterly obsessed with them. They opened with Dance Little Liar and had these white lights pointing out to the crowd and you could just see their silhouettes behind the lights. Then when they went into the insane riff at the end of Dance Little Liar, it totally blew me a way. Still gives me shudders, I wonder is it on youtube somewhere...shall go have a look!

Edit: Found it, well worth the watch :D They go straight into Brianstorm after, it's madness!

Advertisement