Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simulated reality and *ism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

fergalr wrote: »
    You are saying that 'atheism' would be compatible with the existence of an intelligent creator.

Of course it would be. How the heck can anyone know that there isn't an intelligent creator of the universe.

If atheism requires that someone state that they know there isn't an intelligent creator of the universe then no one is an atheist since no one can know that.
    Thats up to you - I guess I'm using a different definition of the word than you are.

You are using a definition that no one can hold to, so to me that would be a sign that your definition is rather useless.

I know of no atheist who asserts they know there is not an intelligent creator of the universe.

I know plenty who reject theist claims that there is, believing these claims are just human inventions, and hold that as such it is highly unlikely that any of them accurate describe reality.

The key is understanding the difference, and appreciating that it is unlikely that purely made up statements will accurately map to reality.

If I say there is an alien in the next room, by virtue of this being a made up statement it is unlikely to be true, even though that has no bearing on whether or not there can actually be an alien in the next room.

I can say Christianity is not true by virtue of being made up, without having to worry all that much about demonstrating that the claims cannot or did not take place.
    If this universe exists as a simulation within another universe, there is nothing to say that the 'outer' universe is devoid of rules such as causality and time.
    There is nothing to say that it does either, and it would be silly to assume it does. All models of the current physical laws that I'm aware of have spacetime emerging from the Big Bang. It is entirely possible that spacetime, or some version of it, existed "before" the Big Bang, but we cannot assume that simply because it is convenient.

As such we have no idea if concepts such as "before" or "created" or "caused" can even be applied to the Big Bang, let alone pondering if something intelligent was responsible.
    There's nothing to say the rules are the same, either, but assuming certain similarity seems like a good starting point to me.

The best starting point is identifying what we don't know, and not assuming otherwise.

"We don't know" seems to have become a dirty phrase in this day and age, I've no idea why. It seems the most logical and reasonable position to simply understand what we don't, and possibly cannot, know. Anything otherwise is just setting us up for making mistakes.
    You are defining atheism as rejecting the claims made by specific religions.

I find that very unsatisfactory.
    If I invent a new religion, that would mean that atheism changes, as it now has to reject the claims of my new theism?

You seem to be confusing the word with the person. I am an atheist, because I reject all the claims of theism that I'm aware of.

Tomorrow I might stumble upon a new religion that I find utterly convincing and as such I will no longer be an atheist, I will be a theist. The word doesn't change, any more than we have to update the term "Australian" when someone from Oz becomes a US citizen.
    I would label you an agnostic.
    Good, I am an agnostic. I am also an atheist.
    If your analogy about whether there is a tiger, is replaced by whether there is a god, and if you are saying that you don't know there isn't a tiger behind the door, and that you just don't know, then you meet my definition of agnostic, not atheist.

No, I meet the definition of atheist because I don't believe Man A.

Man A is the theist, he makes a theistic claim, I don't believe it, thus I'm an atheist. If you want to get totally technical, I'm an atheist in relation to the theistic claims he has made. But it seems easier to just say I'm an atheist.

I'm also an agnostic because I have no idea what is behind the door, nor do I make an claim to what is or isn't behind the door, nor do I believe that the man can know either.

If I was just an agnostic and not an atheists that would mean that I don't know what is behind the door, don't think I can know what is behind the door, but still think what the man claim about the tiger is reasonable.

Which would make no sense. If I cannot know what is behind the door, and I believe no one can know what is behind the door, how can I think that it is plausible that Man A knows what is behind the door.

Agnosticism and atheism in fact go hand in hand, since it is my agnosticism that is the foundation of my atheism. I became an atheist when I realized that no one can know this sh*t and the people who claimed they did were just making it up.
    You can't just say 'I think that because I have no information'. You also need some other beliefs about the world - such as that white tigers are rarely found behind doors.

No you don't. All you need to know is that the set of possible made up things is larger than the set of things that exist.

Or to put it another way, by virtue of being made up someone is unlikely to be true, the odds that a made up statement turn out to be true are unlikely becuase the set of things that can be made up is much larger than the things that do exist.

For example if you put a number in a bowl the odds that that number is the number in the bowl is 1 in 1 (ie if the number is 10 then the odds that it is 10 is a certainty).

But then people start guessing. The odds that any of these guesses is accurate is going to be less likely than actual reality simply by virtue that they are guessing. If any of them looked at the number they could say with certainty what the number is.

Theism is a guess. It might some how be true, but it is more likely that it isn't by virtue of being a guess. We can say that without know anything about assessing what is actually true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I'd take atheism to be that extra step of asserting 'there is no god', which doesn't necessarily follow from an absence of evidence.

There is no god in the way the religious believe it to be.
    Zombrex wrote: »
    I know of no atheist who asserts they know there is not an intelligent creator of the universe.

I know plenty who reject theist claims that there is, believing these claims are just human inventions, and hold that as such it is highly unlikely that any of them accurate describe reality. .

I have no issues with how the universe came into being, it could be a multi verse, it could be a simulation, my issues are with the way religion misleads and brainwashes. The god they believe in is a construct and my point would be

that the god of the religious has nothing to do with a creator or omnipotent being who may or may not be responsible for creation.

If we somehow can prove that we live in a multiverse, with our universe being one of billions would you think that would stop religion.

There is no god in the way the religious believe it to be.

I have no issues with how the universe came into being, it could be a multi verse, it could be a simulation, my issues are with the way religion misleads and brainwashes. The god they believe in is a construct and my point would be

that the god of the religious has nothing to do with a creator or omnipotent being who may or may not be responsible for creation.

If we somehow can prove that we live in a multiverse, with our universe being one of billions would you think that would stop religion.

What should stop religion is people embracing not knowing things.

Which is why this thread kinda annoys me. Even no religious people are prone to flights of fantasy of pretending we can reason our way into knowing things we cannot know.

For example when the OP says lets imagine space-time do apply "before" the Big Bang. Why assume this? It serves no purpose and we don't know it is the case.

Religiousness would disappear tomorrow if people were just happy/confident enough to embrace the simple statement "We don't know", instead of constantly feeling the need to fill in these gaps with what ever notion most appeals to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

An atheist is someone who rejects the claims of theists. Its that simple.
    I'd see the issue as really just about definition of terms. You can, obviously, define and use the term as you have. For my part, I would link the term to the thing being asserted, rather than to the folk making the assertions.

So I could call my thing a non-theist, which would mean someone who asserts there is no god, regardless of whether he knew there was anyone who asserted anything different.

I'd see the issue as really just about definition of terms. You can, obviously, define and use the term as you have. For my part, I would link the term to the thing being asserted, rather than to the folk making the assertions.

But no one claims they know there is no possible intelligent creator of the universe, so using atheism in that context seems silly. You are describing something that doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

There is no single definition of atheism or atheists for that matter. The clearest distinction is between weak and strong atheism. A weak atheist, who is also an agnostic, simply does not believe in any deities. The simplest example of this is a new born who clearly has not considered the question. A strong atheist asserts that to believe in a deity is a false statement, this is no longer an agnostic position as it is a statement of knowledge rather than belief.

Theists and strong atheists both base their belief in the presence or absence of a deity mainly on faith rather than knowledge. When their actual beliefs are questioned most atheists turn out to be weak atheists or agnostics. Even Dawkins falls into this category in his more reasonable moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

First off, let me say thanks for taking the time to write all that - and to the other posters.

Sycopat wrote: »
    Given a simulated universe, you can't infer anything about what is simulating it from within the simulation. You would need information about the outside universe to infer anything about it.

Ok - that's an important and powerful argument to address.

Whether I agree with that argument depends on what you mean by 'infer':

There's a sense in which I agree with your argument completely:
    If you are in a simulated universe, then you can't say anything for certain about the outside universe. You certainly couldn't ever make an argument like: "There are planets our universe, therefore there are planets in the outside universe" and claim that you had hence deductively shown that the outside universe contained planets.

Nonetheless, I do think that it is reasonable to attempt to make some 'inferences', in an inductive kind of way.
    You might say that you are only interested in deductive argument, leading from one set of certain facts to the next.
    That's an understandable position, but I will attempt to convince you otherwise:

A) I think that almost all we have to work with, on questions like this, is inductive reasoning. (You might say "Ah-ha - thus strong agnosticism!" here, but bear with me.)

B) I think its not unreasonable to reason inductively about these things, given the lack of other information.
    I think we do this all the time.

If someone shows me a 'foo' and says "the attribute of this 'foo' is 'bar'", and then shows me another 'foo' and says "whats the attribute of this 'foo'?" I'm going to guess 'bar'.
    Its a very low confidence guess; but I think that its the rational guess to make. (No?)

To make it clearer - if I guess something else, and they say "the attribute of this second 'foo' was also 'bar'. Now, what is the attribute of this third 'foo'?" I think pretty much everyone is going to guess 'bar' at that point. They certainly will guess 'bar' after a 1000 examples of 'bar', unless they are *very* stubborn.

But if the first and second results count as evidence for the third, then the first counts as evidence for the second. Weak evidence, but evidence nonetheless.

C) I don't think that the fact that we don't have solid evidence to work with, in a deductive framework, does not mean we can claim to have no value for P(god).
    You always have to have a P(god). It might be a P(god) with such a low confidence value, that you think its not very useful in your other reasoning, and perhaps thus you describe yourself as 'agnostic'.

But I would say that the situation is really as described by the following pictures:
    GoGNHvL.png
    UBuUjts.png
    http://imgur.com/GoGNHvL,UBuUjts#0
    http://imgur.com/GoGNHvL,UBuUjts#1

You might take issue with where I've put certain groups (As an aside, I'd be really interested in surveying people on those three axes, and seeing where most of the density is. I'm sure someone must have done this before, though?). (You can think of the single axis I specified in my original post as a projection/transformation of this.)

I argue that there's always a P(god) in there, though.

The idea of 'god' is a prevalent idea in our cultures, and it claims to have such consequences (e.g. you will go to hell if you get it wrong; other similar ideas are deeply ingrained in our culture) that I actually think you can't really avoid thinking about P(god) at some point.

If you want to reason about what this P(god) is, you've got to deal with inductive and low certainty argument.

I hope that makes some sort of an argument about why it is necessary, and at least somewhat meaningful to try and reason in this manner.
    I should say that I'm quite willing - maybe even eager - to have any error in my reasoning pointed out.

Nor do i see why a universe that contains ours and is like ours would have intelligences that were not naturally occurring within the context of their universe like ours.

I should clarify this: I'm not saying that the intelligences in the 'baseline' or 'outermost' universe would not be naturally occurring, like we'd normally believe that we naturally occurred in this universe. I'm not arguing for a deity in the 'outermost' universe. I'm willing to believe that such a universe spontaneously arose, as per the Hawking style-of-argument mentioned earlier. What I'm arguing is whether we should believe that our universe has an intelligent creator, and I'm just using 'deity', or 'god' as terms of convenience for that omnipotent programmer-creator. I think those terms are appropriate ones with which to describe a programmer-creator, even a programmer creator who might perhaps be subject to the inviolable laws of the universe that contains them. I think the existence of such a programmer-creator, or 'god', still provides a problem for strong atheism, which is my argument here.

I'm trying to make an argument that changes the 'prior' we'd have on the existence of a creator of our universe, or a randomly chosen (perhaps simulated) universe, rather than argue that 'outermost' or 'naturally occurring' universes come with mysterious deities.

To put it another way, for the purposes of this argument, if I was to be convinced this universe was not a simulation, then I would be willing to believe there was probably no god.

I think unguided is a better word than dumb precisely because it's not the product of an intelligence. It moves forward blindly. It doesn't receive guidance to avoid mistakes, it makes them and lets them die horribly. It receives feedback, but no guidance.

Fair enough - this is just a difference between our word choice, rather than meaning.

I'm quite happy to accept your words. I will just note that, in optimisation terminology, that feedback would often be called 'guidance'. For example, if you look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_computation, it says "Evolutionary computation uses iterative progress, such as growth or development in a population. This population is then selected in a guided random search using parallel processing to achieve the desired end. Such processes are often inspired by biological mechanisms of evolution.".

Not to get into a discussion of optimisation, or EC - just to note that, as a trivial aside, in the language of optimisation, guidance does not necessarily imply a higher intelligence.
    I can however understand this use of the word dumb, although I think dumb used in this way implies a deficient intellect when there is no intellect behind it whatsoever.

Fair point.
    Nope, I'm attempting to say I'm not sure whether your word choice is because you are trying to say something for which dumb is a poor word or because you have contempt for evolution.

I do have a slight skepticism for certain aspects of evolution, actually. As someone who thinks he has a more developed intuition about the relative sizes of search spaces than the average joe, I am slightly troubled by the very large amounts of evolutionary iterations required to effectively favour genotypic information (genes) based purely on their phenotypic manifestations, given the huge amounts of noise present, and the apparently complex mapping from the genes to the selection-level-features. That really bothers me. It makes me wonder if the simple models of evolution that are in the heads of most people you might talk to really make sense at all, other than as useful metaphors, like you might use to explain evolution to a child.

But overall, I wouldn't say I have contempt for whats clearly a great theory, and I'm overall going to just trust that if there were deep computational problems, the mathematical evolutionary biologists would have blown the whistle by now. A slight skepticism remains, though; and a deep skepticism of those who argue that their simple layman's model of darwinian evolution is sufficient to explain everything, as if you can just ignore the issue of whether 'deep time' is deep enough. I mean, its trivial to make a really smart AI, if you don't need to worry about computation time, too.

If you're a simulation than your ability to perceive the simulation is itself simulated. Similarly, anything you can conceive is simulation.

Yes. At one level, I don't think that is the obstacle some people might believe it to be.
    I firmly believe that the simulation of a mind, is a mind in its own right. Many would disagree with that, but I'm fairly convinced.

Aside that, we're back to the argument I gave above.

If you can't come up with an explanation for something it's because you haven't been simulated to.
    Given a simulated universe.
    This if of course true, at a level. But not at the level which is useful to us, which is to reason about our minds as entities.

If I blindfold someone, and they can't see, then, if we are in a simulation, it is of course true that they can't see because they are in a simulation in which they can't see.

But, it is also more usefully true that they can't see because another entity in the simulation - me - has put a blindfold on them.

I hope that makes sense.
    And I read that post, I did, and honestly thought it a load of waffle. You make inferences based on the simulation about things outside the simulation, because you want to. Because you've got to do something with your time.

I hope that I've helped a little by my attempt above in this post; if not, and if you can't point out where the problem is, then I don't think we can go much further.
    You talk about dealing in probabilities, but nothing you talk about seems related to probability.

I mean, 'deal with probabilities', as opposed to dealing with deductive boolean logic. My point is that I'm not trying to prove theorems about the outside world, I'm trying to modify probabilities about it - probabilities which we have to have anyway.

And it is reasonable to say you can modify or reason about relative probabilities about the world outside the simulation.

e.g.:
    Clearly P(in_a_simulation) <= P(in_a_simulation AND simulator_is_humanoid)

Maybe statements of that type aren't useful, though - but we can make them - no?

You even get close to my own viewpoint at one point.

You can't tell the difference. And if you could, if you could prove the universe you inhabit is a simulation, all it would tell you is that none of it is real. It still wouldn't tell you anything about the universe outside the simulation. It still wouldn't tell you whether or not you are real.(I've been assuming that the inhabitants of the simulation are part of it, but there's also the brain in a vat scenario, where the inhabitants are real and the universe isn't.)

Again, tried deal with that above.
    Lets neglect the brain-in-vat-scenario, for simplicity - but definitely a fair point that its another possibility.

No I'm pointing out the null is based upon the question being asked and the hypothesis under test. For all the difficulty in deciding what the null result of an experiment is, or what it means, it is based upon other factors

I disagree. Also I was using the concept of the null hypothesis to illustrate my idea of why someone else took the line of reasoning that they did. It's reasoning that I would agree with myself, and I see absolutely no reason to object to the null hypothesis in the question 'is there a creator' being 'no'.

If I were to ask 'are potatoes a thing?' The null hypothesis would be no. It would be rejected out of hand by most people, self included (I ate some today) and the default position would be 'yes', possibly followed by an insult to my intelligence. The null is not always the default position, it's what's being rejected.

Lets back up a bit on the 'null' issue.

If you were saying that:
    (1) the default position, in the presence of uncertainty, should be one of atheism, unless there is evidence to the contrary,
    AND
    if you were somehow using an argument about what should be 'the null' as *evidence* for (1), then I have an issue with your logic.
    Otherwise, I don't think I do.

My point is that, in the usual frequentist model in which the null hypothesis shows up (which arguably isn't even useful when trying to reason about these probabilities of 'once-off' or non-repeated events) you can set the null to be whatever you want - all that changes is how you later interpret the evidence you see.

That someone might set 'the null' in a hypothetical experiment in which to evaluate evidence for a creator, to 'there is no creator', isn't at all evidence or argument that a rational default position is 'that there be no creator'.

That's the only point I'm trying to make. Perhaps you weren't saying anything to the contrary.
    I may have taken your post up wrong when I started talking about 'the null', so perhaps you weren't saying.

Kind of like how it's misleading to talk about probabilities given an assumption of something inherently unknowable?

I argue that it is not misleading to do so. I argue its always reasonable to talk about the subjective degree of belief in a binary proposition.
    Although, your certainty about that degree of belief could be very low. (You could capture this with a sketch of the probability density function of a typical member of each of the the groups (theist, agnostics, etc) I mentioned, if you wanted to express it in that way.)

Anyway -
    Lets say I tell you that I made a machine that tossed a coin in a sealed room, which was then blown up.
    Its inherently unknowable, for practical purposes, whether it came up heads or tails, right?

But we'll probably both say that the probability it came up heads was about 0.5

And, again, the probability that it came up heads, and that it was raining that day, is less again.

So, are we not there talking about probabilities of something inherently unknowable, in a way that makes sense?

That would still be the null. It would be easier to argue that the null should be rejected because within the simulation, simulations require a simulated creator, but assuming the simulation infers anything about outside the simulation from within the simulation would be a fallacy.

The opening is fine for my purposes:

Why assume the creator of the simulation is a deity?

They would have power like a deities but in the actual universe they could just be another monkey in shoes. Particularly if we are making inferences based on the simulation. And their power is over things which are not real.

I hope I fixed that misunderstanding above - the simulation being run by 'monkey in shoes' is fine for my purposes.

Again, if I had to guess, I'd guess I was most likely to be simulated by another biped a bit like us; etc.

Why would it be reasonable to venerate them? Because you say so?

Well, if it turned out the universe had a creator, I think I'd feel a certain respect for them.
    Maybe venerate is too strong.
    Because they have power over you? Because they made you to feel fear and suffering for their amusement,

Now you are describing a psychopath. I'd hope that the fear and suffering were in some way an unintended, or a necessary, consequence.
    Otherwise, yes, I wouldn't be happy with them.
    and then let you know you were fake as well,
    If I lived in a simulation, I would like to know it, and I wouldn't take felling 'fake' so seriously as I think most people would.
    and then let you know you were fake as well,
    and that your fear and suffering is meaningless except for the amusement of a random person who happens to have the power of a deity over you not because they are a deity, but because you're not a real person.

I think you misunderstand the distances between the universe being a simulation, that simulation having a creator, that creator being a deity, that deity being worthy of respect, and any of that knowledge being any way useful.

The way I see it is the null hypothesis is whats being rejected first. It might be the status quo, it might be something else. It depends on the question.
    (See above.)

In the case of agnosticism, uncertainty about whether or not there is a god, the most basic answer to the question is yes or no, you can't prove a negative so no becomes the null hypothesis, the one which must be rejected to move on.

I believe you are incorrect there, and making an error of reasoning.

I agree that the default position should be that there is no god, based on my inductive experience of the world, and the priors I get from it - e.g. arguments like occams razor. (Absent arguments like the one in this thread.)

But 'you cant prove a negative so no becomes the null hypothesis' is wrong.
    You could just as easily set the other hypothesis up as the null, absent those prior beliefs about the world I just mentioned.

You are talking about a yes-or-no question.
    The framing of the question doesn't change the probability of the outcome; only our prior beliefs and experiences of the world do.

If the world in your language was 'no-god', then you'd be trying to argue about whether or not there is a no-god, and you cant prove a negative so no becomes the null hypothesis.

I can't prove god exists, no one can prove to me that god exists (I won't use zombrex here because I really don't want to put words in his mouth), so I can not reject the null hypothesis. This does not inherently reject the other hypothesis either (lets call it H1) it just doesn't support it. I can not assert H1: A god exists, without rejecting H0: That no god exists. I'm caught between two unproven hypotheses, one unassertable, one unrejectable. While unsure of the correct answer, the only one assertable is the null, and that only by dint of h1 being unassertable, in this way agnosticism could lead to defaulting to atheism, exactly through your 'without evidence, assert no' path.

I got the impression from zombrex's comments that he was following a similar line of thinking.

And yes such reasoning is often wrong. The true test of character for someone who claims to use such reasoning is changing their mind when new evidence allows the rejection of H0, something which is very difficult to do, particularly with questions like this one, or those in science, where the balance has remained unchanged for years, decades, or even generations.

nagirrac wrote: »
    You started the thread by stating you find the simulation argument plausible. There must be reasons why you find it plausible, perhaps they are differnet to mine, but I would be interested in hearing them.

I've read a bunch of books on AI, philosophy of AI, that sort of thing.
    I've come to believe that there are unlikely to be philosophical/theoretical obstacles to executing a consciousness on hardware different from our biological brains.
    I don't believe there is a difference between a simulation of a mind and a mind.

I'm a CS guy. Every day, I run programs on physical hardware, and on virtual machines. It makes no difference to the programs. A sorting algorithm running on the virtual machine is the same sorting algorithm running on the physical hardware.

The observable universe is very big, and seems to have a lot of energy in it, which could perhaps, in time, be harnessed to make some pretty big computers.
    The most convincing argument for simulation that I have heard goes as follows:

1. If humans continue to evolve at an exponential rate, creating VR universes will become a reality and sooner than we can currently imagine.

Im not convinced we'll continue to evolve at an exponential rate.
    We might slow down.
    We seem to be speeding up still, but its not clear that will continue.

A lot of growth, in the presence of finite resources, looks nearly exponential, before you discover its actually sigmoidal.

Its getting vastly harder to make the good performance gains in computation speed, using existing techniques. We're seeing indications the GPU performance increase is starting to slow down.

Maybe people will come up with other ways, though.

I think we are still making big progress intellectually. I also think we are making big progress with software, with learning about machine learning, and statistics.

Not so sure about AI, but some people say that will follow.

If it does, then we'll have simulations.
    2. When we get to the point of creating VR universes, we will logically want to simulate historical periods for all kinds of reasons, studying how evolution progressed, how diseases developed, or just curiosity (how much fun would it be to simulate early hominids).

3. If 1 and 2 are true, then the probability that we are in a simulation is very high.

Yes, I would think that if we keep expanding our capabilities, we'll eventually start making a lot of simulations. The first IF is pretty big, but I think we'll get there in the end, unless we kill ourselves first, or get hit by a rock or a virus or whatever.

When I say evidence I mean the current evidence we have regarding our universe and what it suggests. The first paper that really caught my eye on the subject was by Brian Whitworth which attempted to answer some of the apparent paradoxes between our observed objective reality and the increasingly strange theories of theoretical physics.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0801/0801.0337.pdf

Thanks. Ill take a look at the paper. Obviously, I'm skeptical of anyone writing anything in this general subject :-) I also might not have the physics chops to make any sense of it.

If we are in a VR simulation then I agree with other posters and yourself that we cannot directly perceive what is behind the simulation. However, that does not mean we cannot conceive of how a VR world would behave, given the evidence we uncover regarding our universe.
    Thats what me and Sycopat have been going back-and-forward on.
    Increasingly the evidence seems to point to an information based reality built from a ground state of the quantum vacuum (the zero point field) that effectively allows all outcomes. The key question is what is it that organizes these potential outcomes into the objective reality we perceive. Where I think Krauss' argument falls down is although he can argue that a ground state quantum vacuum is "nothing", for anything to exist that we observe as physical depends on the very specific and precise laws of quantum mechanics. Where did these laws come from? Whitworth makes a strong argument that a VR universe based on information processing is a much simpler explanation than objective reality being all there is.

I'll take a look - but already Im starting to think I wont be able to interpret it :)

... hence I'm an atheist. :)

An atheist is someone who rejects the claims of theists. Its that simple.

How right or wrong they are is largely irrelevant to the much more important question of do they know they are right or wrong. If their claims were some how accurate they are not right because they know the truth, they are right by virtue of simply guessing and some how ending up right anyway.

Someone could guess this weeks lotto results and by pure fluke get it right, but that doesn't mean I believe them when they say they "know" this weeks results before the draw.

An atheists is simply someone who believes theists are making sh*t up, irrespective of whether that made up sh*t some how by pure coincidence ends up actually be accurate. It is still made up sh*t because the person making it up has no basis to assert its accuracy.

People focus way to much on attacking atheists by saying "How do you know that God doesn't exist". Which is the wrong question. I've no idea if God exists (though I suspect it is unlikely). The real question should be How do theists know God exists. And the answer is they don't.

Hence I'm an atheist. :)

By your definition, its not important what an atheists value for P(god), the probability that god exists, is.

Rather, an atheist is someone who believes that the people who have a high P(god) have a certainty thats wrong.

Hmm, I'm not sure that works.

The question then, is couldn't you be an atheist that believes in God? An atheist with a high value for P(god)?

But then, you would be a theist. As you reject the claims of theists, you thus can't be one. Therefore you must have a low value for P(god), the probability that God exists.

Thus you are taking a position on it, just as much as they are.
    My picture above still holds.

All that is left to discuss, then, is whose position is more rational, given available evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

But no one claims they know there is no possible intelligent creator of the universe, so using atheism in that context seems silly. You are describing something that doesn't exist.
    I'm not sure that I am, and bear in mind that I'm using the word "asserts". I think there are people who feel the probability of an intelligent creator is lower that the possibility of unicorns, and so are happy to dismiss the idea.

They may accept that they can't show you a formal proof that eliminates all possibility of a deity. They may even accept that they can't show you a formal proof that totally eliminates the possibility that Jesus is the son of God, that the world is ten thousand years old and that the dinosaur bones are just there to test our faith. Yet, they'll assert that the evidence is such as to mean such views can be dismissed.

I think the positive thing is we've established that we have different expectations of what the term means. And that's grand, so long as we know this.

• Advertisement

Of course it would be. How the heck can anyone know that there isn't an intelligent creator of the universe.

If atheism requires that someone state that they know there isn't an intelligent creator of the universe then no one is an atheist since no one can know that.

Ok, fair enough. That would be what I would consider the difference between strong and weak atheism. Weak atheism would believe that there probably is no creator; strong atheism would firmly believe there is no creator.

I would have understood your positions as being closer to strong agnosticism; but fair enough.
    You are using a definition that no one can hold to, so to me that would be a sign that your definition is rather useless.

That surprises me, actually; maybe I just misunderstand atheism.
    I know plenty who reject theist claims that there is, believing these claims are just human inventions, and hold that as such it is highly unlikely that any of them accurate describe reality.

The key is understanding the difference, and appreciating that it is unlikely that purely made up statements will accurately map to reality.

That all makes sense to me.
    If I say there is an alien in the next room, by virtue of this being a made up statement it is unlikely to be true, even though that has no bearing on whether or not there can actually be an alien in the next room.

Sure.
    I can say Christianity is not true by virtue of being made up, without having to worry all that much about demonstrating that the claims cannot or did not take place.

Yes, as long as it is all made up, you can assert it is highly unlikely to be true - that makes sense to me.
    Almost seems a tautology.
    There is nothing to say that it does either, and it would be silly to assume it does. All models of the current physical laws that I'm aware of have spacetime emerging from the Big Bang. It is entirely possible that spacetime, or some version of it, existed "before" the Big Bang, but we cannot assume that simply because it is convenient.

As such we have no idea if concepts such as "before" or "created" or "caused" can even be applied to the Big Bang, let alone pondering if something intelligent was responsible.

It is certainly my laymans understanding of what the physicists say, that it is a mistake to reason about causality prior to the Big Bang, as you can't really talk about 'time' 'before' a singularity, so that makes sense to me.
    The best starting point is identifying what we don't know, and not assuming otherwise.

"We don't know" seems to have become a dirty phrase in this day and age, I've no idea why. It seems the most logical and reasonable position to simply understand what we don't, and possibly cannot, know. Anything otherwise is just setting us up for making mistakes.

You seem to be confusing the word with the person. I am an atheist, because I reject all the claims of theism that I'm aware of.

Fair answer. You can define it by opposition to current religions if you want.
    Tomorrow I might stumble upon a new religion that I find utterly convincing and as such I will no longer be an atheist, I will be a theist.

You might - but I'd argue that to describe yourself as an 'atheist' also gives us a hint that this is unlikely.

I would be happier with a definition of atheism to do with the rejection of some general principles underlying theistic belief, rather than as something defined purely in opposition to a set of existing religions.
    The word doesn't change, any more than we have to update the term "Australian" when someone from Oz becomes a US citizen.

Good, I am an agnostic. I am also an atheist.

Hmm.

If you meet a theist, who says "I believe in some sort of creator god. I dont know the details - but I believe in some sort of god", what do you do?
    Do you say that person isn't a theist?

Or do you say that you reject that general broad belief?

Or worse - what if you meet a theist who says: "I believe that there is a god, with probability between 0.7 and 1.0".
    Perhaps you don't call people like that theists?

If you do, then your argument now has a problem; because if you disagree with that statement, you are not saying that you disagree with a particular made-up thing, but you are instead asserting you think the probability of there being a god is between 0 and 0.7.

You could instead say "I dont know why you'd think that", but without disagreeing that the probability could infact be in that range. You could say 'You have no good reason to think that'. But you wouldn't actually say 'You are wrong'.

That seems consistent to me.

No, I meet the definition of atheist because I don't believe Man A.

Man A is the theist, he makes a theistic claim, I don't believe it, thus I'm an atheist. If you want to get totally technical, I'm an atheist in relation to the theistic claims he has made. But it seems easier to just say I'm an atheist.

I'm also an agnostic because I have no idea what is behind the door, nor do I make an claim to what is or isn't behind the door, nor do I believe that the man can know either.

If I was just an agnostic and not an atheists that would mean that I don't know what is behind the door, don't think I can know what is behind the door, but still think what the man claim about the tiger is reasonable.

Which would make no sense. If I cannot know what is behind the door, and I believe no one can know what is behind the door, how can I think that it is plausible that Man A knows what is behind the door.

Basically, you aren't saying "As an atheist, I have a low value for P(god)".
    You aren't taking a position on that.
    Instead you are saying "No one knows. Perhaps a high value for P(god) is reasonable. As an atheist, I just don't believe others estimates".

I'm not sure that you can get away with that fully: if someone says 'what is your probability that there is a god?' (or a tiger behind the door). How do you answer? Do you just give a uniform distribution of the probabilities between zero and one? Say '0.5'? Or say that you can't answer the question? Perhaps you reject the question as being too vague, and instead are happy to just only reply to more specified ones, answering 'that is unlikely' to each particular scenario?

Agnosticism and atheism in fact go hand in hand, since it is my agnosticism that is the foundation of my atheism. I became an atheist when I realized that no one can know this sh*t and the people who claimed they did were just making it up.

No you don't. All you need to know is that the set of possible made up things is larger than the set of things that exist.

Or to put it another way, by virtue of being made up someone is unlikely to be true, the odds that a made up statement turn out to be true are unlikely becuase the set of things that can be made up is much larger than the things that do exist.

For example if you put a number in a bowl the odds that that number is the number in the bowl is 1 in 1 (ie if the number is 10 then the odds that it is 10 is a certainty).

But then people start guessing. The odds that any of these guesses is accurate is going to be less likely than actual reality simply by virtue that they are guessing. If any of them looked at the number they could say with certainty what the number is.

Theism is a guess. It might some how be true, but it is more likely that it isn't by virtue of being a guess. We can say that without know anything about assessing what is actually true.

That argument works for specific theist religions, and its a good one, in my book.

But I'm not sure it holds if you meet someone who says they believe there is a high probability of god, and that is all their belief says, and if you call such a person a theist, and then say that as an atheist you reject their claims.

Rejecting that claim is taking a position that covers a wide range of possibilities. You can't do it on the basis that they have a specific belief chosen from a wide set of possible beliefs, and are thus unlikely to be right.

On the other hand, if you dont reject that claim, then I'd consider you more an agnostic than an atheist, but maybe thats just a naming issue.

What should stop religion is people embracing not knowing things.

Which is why this thread kinda annoys me. Even no religious people are prone to flights of fantasy of pretending we can reason our way into knowing things we cannot know.

For example when the OP says lets imagine space-time do apply "before" the Big Bang. Why assume this? It serves no purpose and we don't know it is the case.

I don't think I said that, specifically.

I do however try and reason about realities which might contain this one. Thats obviously a difficult, if not impossible, thing to do. Maybe more impossible than I thought, starting the thread...

Religiousness would disappear tomorrow if people were just happy/confident enough to embrace the simple statement "We don't know", instead of constantly feeling the need to fill in these gaps with what ever notion most appeals to us.

I think you have to be a little careful here, that you don't throw that atheist new born of nagirrac's out with the bathwater.

The drive to not embrace the simple statement 'We dont know' is what drives us humans to try and figure out the world, to do science, and build knowledge. And yes, to create fairy stories, but we're working on getting better about that...

Speaking personally, I started this thread because something was bothering me. I could have just said 'I dont know', or 'that seems inaccessible'. Still got no answers, of course, only shadows on the wall of the cave. But I've learned something from the discussion, from being forced to consider the views of others, and try and communicate my own, and realise some of the times when Im wrong.

We've got to be skeptical of our knowledge, sure - but also of its limits. You've got to keep taking cracks at questions that seem impossible, or concepts that seem inaccessible, to make progress.
    I think trying to make breakthroughs requires a very similar imagination to that which comes up with the fairy stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I would have thought 'Dont be ridiculous, no-one can possibly hear what you are thinking. Of course you wont be judged when you die.'

However, an argument that we are likely to be in a simulation changes that calculus. Perhaps it is probable that we exist in a simulation, with a creator? (yes, this is a very open question) In which case, perhaps I might be judged after I die?!
    In this scenario, you wouldn't know what attributes or activities you were being judged on. For example, if the simulation was being run as entertainment, then the operator/god might prefer interesting characters such as Hitler types, to those who sit around praying etc.. The interesting ones might get re-run in an afterlife, and the boring ones dumped.
    Even if you strongly believed you were in a simulation, it could make no difference to your behaviour, unless you claimed to know the rules of it, and that is usually the domain of the theist.
    In practical terms then you would still be "as an atheist", or perhaps a deist, in the practical sense of rejecting all religious rulebooks.
    But if some message suddenly appeared in the sky, then you would have your instructions and your proof of some kind of creator/programmer, and so become a theist.

By your definition, its not important what an atheists value for P(god), the probability that god exists, is.

No more important than it is important what an atheists give a value for a multiverse, or the value for an infinite loop of universes, or anything else you can think of.

There are an infinite number of things you can imagine that might be responsible for the universe. Because of the prominence of religion in human culture we have given a special place to the idea that an intelligence created the universe, but in reality there is no more reason to entertain this idea than there is to entertain any of the other millions of other things you can imagine might have caused the universe.

It is like when a Christian says "What do you think about Jesus", to which one feels like replying "Not a lot more than I think about the other 100 billion people who have existed" (100 billion is an estimate of the number of people who have existed since about 10,000 years ago).

It is only Christians who say Jesus is special and should be considered as a special case, and it is only theists who say that the God hypothesis is special and should be given special consideration.
    Rather, an atheist is someone who believes that the people who have a high P(god) have a certainty thats wrong.

A certainty that is misplaced. "Wrong" is too loses a term, as I explained I can guess a number and that guess can be "right" but that doesn't mean I knew it was right before hand.

Theists don't know a god exists, they just think one does. This is independent to whether one actually does or not, but if one does it is a coincidence.

Therefore pondering how an atheists knows that a god doesn't exist is the wrong question.

Replace "god" with "multiverse" and it should be clearer. A person might claim they know that the multiverse exists, and I can say "No you don't", without making any statement as to whether I believe the multiverse exists or not (I have no idea if the multiverse exists).
    Hmm, I'm not sure that works.
    No only does it work, it is the only thing that works :p

The alternative is an atheist is someone who proclaims they know there was no intelligent creator of the universe. How the heck would they know that? How would you even arrive at that conclusion?
    The question then, is couldn't you be an atheist that believes in God? An atheist with a high value for P(god)?

Which "god"?

Again this is the issue. We know nothing about these concepts except through the claims of theists.
    But then, you would be a theist. As you reject the claims of theists, you thus can't be one.

And if I reject the claims of theists how would I even know about the concept of "god" in the first place
    Therefore you must have a low value for P(god), the probability that God exists.

I don't have to assign any value to the probability that God exist because I've no method to assess that.

Seriously, what is the aversion people have to "I have no freaking idea" as a valid answer.

Answer me this, what is the probably that something you don't know and have never imagined, exists?

The drive to not embrace the simple statement 'We dont know' is what drives us humans to try and figure out the world, to do science, and build knowledge.

No, it is the exact opposite. Not embracing "We don't know" is what leads to things like religion, where we get uncomfortable with the statement and just make up an answer.

Embracing what we don't know is the start of science and knowledge, because it is only when understand what we don't know that we can start looking for the answer.

If we don't understand that we don't know something we will be content with what ever nonsense answer we use to fill the void.

Which is how religion survived for thousands of years giving non-answers to these questions, because people didn't realize that there were not answers, that we didn't know the answer and that we should probably start trying to find it out.
    And yes, to create fairy stories, but we're working on getting better about that...

We aren't working hard enough.
    Speaking personally, I started this thread because something was bothering me. I could have just said 'I dont know', or 'that seems inaccessible'. Still got no answers, of course, only shadows on the wall of the cave. But I've learned something from the discussion, from being forced to consider the views of others, and try and communicate my own, and realise some of the times when Im wrong.

You realised that you don't know. That is good, but then you could have got to this important conclusion earlier if you had simply said "I don't know"

I think trying to make breakthroughs requires a very similar imagination to that which comes up with the fairy stories.

Completely disagree with that. All "fairy stories" do is trick people into thinking they have answers when they don't

You need to constantly be telling yourself you don't know until you are so overwhelmed by the evidence that you can say you do know.

The worst mistake anyone can ever make is being confident they know something they actually don't.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you don't know something, and in fact that should be the default position that you retreat to in any time of doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Q: Do you think there’s a practical reason for having a religious belief, for many people?

Bertrand Russell: Well, there can’t be a practical reason for believing what isn’t true. That’s quite... at least, I rule it out as impossible. Either the thing is true, or it isn’t. If it is true, you should believe it, and if it isn’t, you shouldn’t. And if you can’t find out whether it’s true or whether it isn’t, you should suspend judgment. But you can’t... it seems to me a fundamental dishonesty and a fundamental treachery to intellectual integrity to hold a belief because you think it’s useful, and not because you think it’s true.

From here.

What a lucid, logical and eloquent man he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

First off, let me say thanks for taking the time to write all that - and to the other posters.

Ok - that's an important and powerful argument to address.

Whether I agree with that argument depends on what you mean by 'infer':

There's a sense in which I agree with your argument completely:
    If you are in a simulated universe, then you can't say anything for certain about the outside universe. You certainly couldn't ever make an argument like: "There are planets our universe, therefore there are planets in the outside universe" and claim that you had hence deductively shown that the outside universe contained planets.
    Nonetheless, I do think that it is reasonable to attempt to make some 'inferences', in an inductive kind of way.
    You might say that you are only interested in deductive argument, leading from one set of certain facts to the next.
    That's an understandable position, but I will attempt to convince you otherwise:

A) I think that almost all we have to work with, on questions like this, is inductive reasoning. (You might say "Ah-ha - thus strong agnosticism!" here, but bear with me.)

There are creators of simulations in our universe, therefore there are creators of simulations in the outside universe is exactly the same argument as the planets one but I'm not actually wanting anyone to claim anything deductive about the non-simulation, my argument is actually that inductive reasoning is inappropriate and unreasonable to use in this situation.

To expand on this, I'll start from the example you gave:

B) I think its not unreasonable to reason inductively about these things, given the lack of other information.
    I think we do this all the time.

If someone shows me a 'foo' and says "the attribute of this 'foo' is 'bar'", and then shows me another 'foo' and says "whats the attribute of this 'foo'?" I'm going to guess 'bar'.
    Its a very low confidence guess; but I think that its the rational guess to make. (No?)

To make it clearer - if I guess something else, and they say "the attribute of this second 'foo' was also 'bar'. Now, what is the attribute of this third 'foo'?" I think pretty much everyone is going to guess 'bar' at that point. They certainly will guess 'bar' after a 1000 examples of 'bar', unless they are *very* stubborn.

But if the first and second results count as evidence for the third, then the first counts as evidence for the second. Weak evidence, but evidence nonetheless.

I can follow this point but to bring it on a bit, to develop why I feel inductive reasoning like this is pointless in regards to simulation vs. outside, is that you're not being given two foos. You're being given foo and not-foo. Simulation and Not-Simulation.

Foo is bar.
    foo is not not-foo
    but not foo is also bar

That is not just unreasonable. It is not even logical.

(The funny coincidence of this is it's not even logical to expect to be able to apply the logic of our universe to a universe which may be simulating it.)
    C) I don't think that the fact that we don't have solid evidence to work with, in a deductive framework, does not mean we can claim to have no value for P(god).
    You always have to have a P(god). It might be a P(god) with such a low confidence value, that you think its not very useful in your other reasoning, and perhaps thus you describe yourself as 'agnostic'.

But I would say that the situation is really as described by the following pictures:
    GoGNHvL.png
    UBuUjts.png
    http://imgur.com/GoGNHvL,UBuUjts#0
    http://imgur.com/GoGNHvL,UBuUjts#1

You might take issue with where I've put certain groups (As an aside, I'd be really interested in surveying people on those three axes, and seeing where most of the density is. I'm sure someone must have done this before, though?). (You can think of the single axis I specified in my original post as a projection/transformation of this.)

I don't really have an issue with where you've put the groups (although I think the Z-axis is unnecessary, considering the Y is also a 'certainty' measure)

However, I take issue with your claim we must always have a P(god). Images and concepts like this can be useful in explaining the differences between positions, but anyone claiming any value for P(god) is just using an arbitrary number.
    I argue that there's always a P(god) in there, though.

The idea of 'god' is a prevalent idea in our cultures, and it claims to have such consequences (e.g. you will go to hell if you get it wrong; other similar ideas are deeply ingrained in our culture) that I actually think you can't really avoid thinking about P(god) at some point.

If you want to reason about what this P(god) is, you've got to deal with inductive and low certainty argument.

I'd agree with the idea that most people will eventually think about the liklihood of god, however I don't think there's always a P(god) because it is impossible to assess the P(god) and as such anyone who decides there is a specific P(god) is just self-assigning an arbitrary number for something you have no way of measuring.
    It's not an actual probability value, just a point between 0 and 1. Any certainty measure is likewise arbitrary.
    You're not inducing anything when you assign these values because you don't have a prior to base them off of.

And assigning an arbitrary number to an unknown variable strikes me as a huge flaw in reasoning, let alone across multiple unknown variables.
    I hope that makes some sort of an argument about why it is necessary, and at least somewhat meaningful to try and reason in this manner.
    I should say that I'm quite willing - maybe even eager - to have any error in my reasoning pointed out.

I hope I have pointed them out.

I should clarify this: I'm not saying that the intelligences in the 'baseline' or 'outermost' universe would not be naturally occurring, like we'd normally believe that we naturally occurred in this universe. I'm not arguing for a deity in the 'outermost' universe. I'm willing to believe that such a universe spontaneously arose, as per the Hawking style-of-argument mentioned earlier. What I'm arguing is whether we should believe that our universe has an intelligent creator, and I'm just using 'deity', or 'god' as terms of convenience for that omnipotent programmer-creator. I think those terms are appropriate ones with which to describe a programmer-creator, even a programmer creator who might perhaps be subject to the inviolable laws of the universe that contains them. I think the existence of such a programmer-creator, or 'god', still provides a problem for strong atheism, which is my argument here.

Then why consistently refer to such creator intelligences as a deity or god? If they are not a god I don't see how they cause any problem for atheism. Just as another example of the inherent differences between a not-simulation and a simulation: if they are a programmer-creator but the mechanism of their creation is knowable, natural, and possibly even reproducible, but they are subject to the laws of the Not-Simulation then they are by definition not omnipotent.
    I'm trying to make an argument that changes the 'prior' we'd have on the existence of a creator of our universe, or a randomly chosen (perhaps simulated) universe, rather than argue that 'outermost' or 'naturally occurring' universes come with mysterious deities.

To put it another way, for the purposes of this argument, if I was to be convinced this universe was not a simulation, then I would be willing to believe there was probably no god.

But I don't see how it changes the prior. Without applying inductive reasoning incorrectly.

Fair enough - this is just a difference between our word choice, rather than meaning.

Then I think I'm happy to drop that discussion, although out of interest I will say:
    as if you can just ignore the issue of whether 'deep time' is deep enough.

That issues not being ignored, but a laymans model is usually so oversimplified it would overestimate substantially the amount of deep time needed for certain things, because they tend to focus on small iterative mutational adaption and ignore large scale shifts (largely because they are massively disadvantageous and it's thought likely to require a large shift in selective pressures to survive. Such as the mass extinction of it's predators or washing up somewhere uninhabited.)

Anyway, moving on.
    Yes. At one level, I don't think that is the obstacle some people might believe it to be.
    I firmly believe that the simulation of a mind, is a mind in its own right. Many would disagree with that, but I'm fairly convinced.

Aside that, we're back to the argument I gave above.

I don't agree, I don't entirely disagree, as from one point of view a mind is a simulation, whether the universe it's in is or not, but it's not really my point, which is that a mind within the simulation is an element of and part of and bound by the simulation, in the same way our minds are elements are part of and bound by our universe whether it is a simulation or not.

In which case I have to wait for you to address what I see as the flaws in your reasoning.
    This if of course true, at a level. But not at the level which is useful to us, which is to reason about our minds as entities.

If I blindfold someone, and they can't see, then, if we are in a simulation, it is of course true that they can't see because they are in a simulation in which they can't see.

But, it is also more usefully true that they can't see because another entity in the simulation - me - has put a blindfold on them.

I hope that makes sense.

It does make sense, but you're seperating the simulation from an element within the simulation. They can't see because the simulation is simulating their inability to see. The simulation of you putting the simulation of the blindfold over the simulation of their eyes remain part of the simulation of their inability to see. It may be more useful to your thinking to conceive of these things as different but to mine they are not different. They are all just parts of the same simulation.

I hope that I've helped a little by my attempt above in this post; if not, and if you can't point out where the problem is, then I don't think we can go much further.

It actually did, I want to give you credit for that, although despite pointing out the problem I suspect we may be reaching the end of our dialogue anyway.

I mean, 'deal with probabilities', as opposed to dealing with deductive boolean logic. My point is that I'm not trying to prove theorems about the outside world, I'm trying to modify probabilities about it - probabilities which we have to have anyway.

I think I've explained why I fundamentally disagree on 'having' to have a probability, and why such arbitrary values are not probabilities, but I can understand you wanting to use probability theory as the framework for your thinking about the arbitrary values you've decided on.
    And it is reasonable to say you can modify or reason about relative probabilities about the world outside the simulation.

e.g.:
    Clearly P(in_a_simulation) <= P(in_a_simulation AND simulator_is_humanoid)

Maybe statements of that type aren't useful, though - but we can make them - no?

I disagree with the idea that you can 'modify' an unknown probability, or reason about the probability of an unknown without having something to base it on, and we can't base our expectations of not-universe on the universe.

You can make such statements but they are ultimately just metaphors using arbitrary values. (Also, I'm not sure from your statement if you mean X∩Y, or XUY. The signage implies the union, but the rhs would be better represented as an intersection.)

Again, tried deal with that above.
    Lets neglect the brain-in-vat-scenario, for simplicity - but definitely a fair point that its another possibility.

Happy to.

Lets back up a bit on the 'null' issue.

If you were saying that:
    (1) the default position, in the presence of uncertainty, should be one of atheism, unless there is evidence to the contrary,
    AND
    if you were somehow using an argument about what should be 'the null' as *evidence* for (1), then I have an issue with your logic.
    Otherwise, I don't think I do.

No, I am not saying it's evidence for 1. The null hypothesis is not evidence for itself.
    I argue that it is not misleading to do so. I argue its always reasonable to talk about the subjective degree of belief in a binary proposition.
    Although, your certainty about that degree of belief could be very low. (You could capture this with a sketch of the probability density function of a typical member of each of the the groups (theist, agnostics, etc) I mentioned, if you wanted to express it in that way.)
    Anyway -
    Lets say I tell you that I made a machine that tossed a coin in a sealed room, which was then blown up.
    Its inherently unknowable, for practical purposes, whether it came up heads or tails, right?

But we'll probably both say that the probability it came up heads was about 0.5

And, again, the probability that it came up heads, and that it was raining that day, is less again.

So, are we not there talking about probabilities of something inherently unknowable, in a way that makes sense?

No, because we know the coin has two sides and presumably whether or not they are both equal.

We can't know the result, but we can know the probability of the result based on the size of the sample space and the evenness of it's distribution.

It's not an apt analogy because what we are discussing is a topic with an unknown sample space, and an unknown distribution.

We have no idea what the actual options are, nor what their liklihoods are, only that many of the proposed idea's are mutually exclusive.

I hope I fixed that misunderstanding above - the simulation being run by 'monkey in shoes' is fine for my purposes.

Really? I don't see how a monkey in shoes qualifies as a deity.
    Well, if it turned out the universe had a creator, I think I'd feel a certain respect for them.
    Maybe venerate is too strong.

Now you are describing a psychopath. I'd hope that the fear and suffering were in some way an unintended, or a necessary, consequence.
    Otherwise, yes, I wouldn't be happy with them.

You'ld hope? i thought you were inferring from our universe? Inferring from our universe, and the uses to which we put simulations, not forgetting that I find the idea distasteful, which is more likely: the simulation has a purpose or is a fancy version of the sims?
    If I lived in a simulation, I would like to know it, and I wouldn't take felling 'fake' so seriously as I think most people would.

Only because you already seem to be already telling yourself the simulation has a purpose other than entertainment.
    I believe you are incorrect there, and making an error of reasoning.

Then consider it shorthand for why you can't restate the question so that the positions of H1 and H0 are reversed.

Which seems to be what you're trying with your talk of 'no-god'.

All your swapping is terminology, not which one is the null, and moving the negative into the question is the linguistic equivalent of multiplying by -1 and hoping no one notices.

However, as the discussion this arose from has moved on and these posts are getting increasingly long despite my best attempts at brevity I'm going to drop the subject of the null now.

recedite wrote: »
    In this scenario, you wouldn't know what attributes or activities you were being judged on. For example, if the simulation was being run as entertainment, then the operator/god might prefer interesting characters such as Hitler types, to those who sit around praying etc.. The interesting ones might get re-run in an afterlife, and the boring ones dumped.

I think that's a really good point.

The only counter that I can think of, would be if you believed that (1) this universe was somehow set-up in a way that rewarded certain behaviour (e.g. altruism), then you might argue that (2) it was more probable the creators of the simulation cared about rewarding altruism.

But (2) would have all the same problems that Sycopat and others have pointed out, about making inferences that the outer universe is similar to the inner one.

Furthermore, I don't think I would argue (1).

So I think your argument is good.

Even if you strongly believed you were in a simulation, it could make no difference to your behaviour, unless you claimed to know the rules of it, and that is usually the domain of the theist.

If you mean, given the context: "even if you strongly believed you were in a simulation, it could make no difference to your behavior, on the basis of you trying to please your creators", then I think that's what you've just shown, so I agree with you.

But I think the statement that "even if you strongly believed you were in a simulation, it could make no difference to your behaviour" is a little too strong.

I can imagine someone thinking something nefarious, and being ok with their nefarious thoughts, on the basis that no one could ever find out their thoughts; whereas if they 'strongly believed they were in a simulation', then they might not be ok with their nefarious thoughts.

Now I can see there's a whole other can of worms we could open with that argument, and many counter-arguments:

- "such thoughts arent their fault, if thats how they've been simulated", you might say, so how can they be held to account for these nefarious thoughts? Well, I dont really agree with that. Thats like saying that nothing we do is really our fault, because its determined by the physics state of the world we were born into (and randomness). At the level of abstraction at which we exist as entities, we can be held to account for our actions, and even theoretically for our thoughts. (Aside: Im not arguing in favour of 'thoughtcrime'. When I say "hold to account", I mean "attribute the actions of the entity to the entity", and not e.g. "prosecute using a criminal justice system").

- "anyone in their universe, who they might presumably care about keeping their thoughts and motivations secret from, whose moral compass/interests we do have information about (in contrast to the simulation creators), couldn't possibly receive credible information from the simulation creators as to my private thoughts." - well, maybe. Thats a good argument, but Im not sure.
    What if the simulation creators decide to suddenly have an interventionist 'judgement day', where, for ****s-and-giggles, they decide to lay bare all of our private thoughts to each other? Maybe thats the punchline of this simulation?

Now, of course, you could say "well, you cant possibly know thats their plan" - yes, but possibly you are an individual who will allow themselves to think down a certain path, only if there is next to zero chance of their subsequent thoughts been revealed, and will otherwise self-censor. Maybe the jump in probability of your thoughts being revealed, given that you believe you are in a simulation, is enough to chance your behaviour.

A counter-point might be: "oh well, if you are so worried about your thoughts being revealed, then why arent you also worried about the tiny possibility someone in your universe has actually invented a secret mind-reading machine?". And yes, improbable as that sounds, maybe that'd be a more rational thing to be concerned about, speaking generally. But perhaps not given you 'strongly believe you were in a simulation'.

Anyway, thats a big can of worms. My point is that I'm not sure I agree that IF you strongly believed you were in a simulation, it wouldnt alter your behavior.

Btw, in case anyone is getting worried, I should just say that I'm speaking hypothetically, and just philosophizing on the internet; I'm not actually struggling with any 'deep dark' thoughts I wouldnt ever want anyone to find out. And my own moral behaviour isnt based on whether I can get caught thinking bad thoughts!

I do think its interesting to think about this stuff; its interesting because in, say, catholic teaching, you can 'sin' in your thoughts, as well as in your deeds; so if you are a catholic, you have to be concerned with this judgemental god monitoring your thoughts; whereas if you are not, you might perhaps have a moral code that says its ok to think whatever you like, and not to worry about what you hypothetically think; rather, that whats important is how you act and treat others.

That outlook might change, if you believe you are in a simulation; maybe not, though.
    In practical terms then you would still be "as an atheist", or perhaps a deist, in the practical sense of rejecting all religious rulebooks.
    But if some message suddenly appeared in the sky, then you would have your instructions and your proof of some kind of creator/programmer, and so become a theist.

That all makes sense to me.

No more important than it is important what an atheists give a value for a multiverse, or the value for an infinite loop of universes, or anything else you can think of.

There are an infinite number of things you can imagine that might be responsible for the universe. Because of the prominence of religion in human culture we have given a special place to the idea that an intelligence created the universe, but in reality there is no more reason to entertain this idea than there is to entertain any of the other millions of other things you can imagine might have caused the universe.

I still have a difficulty with that bit.

I can accept the idea that the universe spontaneously arose.
    I dont really understand those things, my physics knowledge doesnt go that far; but I trust the physicists to some extent, and if the physicists can provide an argument that is a little bit like 'things spontaneously arise - look at those particles' and 'look, here are singularities which violate your normal ideas of casuality, thats evidence that your normal ideas of causality dont always apply' then Im prepared to accept that the universe might not need any cause.

But, if I'm living in this universe, and its 200 years in the future, and humans are simulating other (less complex?) universes, then I think I'm going to consider it more likely that an intelligence is simulating our universe, than at least some of 'the other millions of things I could imagine might have caused the universe'. E.g. imagining that a non-intelligent optimising system has created the universe.

It is like when a Christian says "What do you think about Jesus", to which one feels like replying "Not a lot more than I think about the other 100 billion people who have existed" (100 billion is an estimate of the number of people who have existed since about 10,000 years ago).

It is only Christians who say Jesus is special and should be considered as a special case, and it is only theists who say that the God hypothesis is special and should be given special consideration.

A certainty that is misplaced. "Wrong" is too loses a term, as I explained I can guess a number and that guess can be "right" but that doesn't mean I knew it was right before hand.

Theists don't know a god exists, they just think one does. This is independent to whether one actually does or not, but if one does it is a coincidence.

Therefore pondering how an atheists knows that a god doesn't exist is the wrong question.

Replace "god" with "multiverse" and it should be clearer. A person might claim they know that the multiverse exists, and I can say "No you don't", without making any statement as to whether I believe the multiverse exists or not (I have no idea if the multiverse exists).

No only does it work, it is the only thing that works :p

The alternative is an atheist is someone who proclaims they know there was no intelligent creator of the universe. How the heck would they know that? How would you even arrive at that conclusion?

Which "god"?

Again this is the issue. We know nothing about these concepts except through the claims of theists.

And if I reject the claims of theists how would I even know about the concept of "god" in the first place

I'm not sure about that argument.

I accept your argument that any specific chosen set of theistic beliefs, chosen from a broad space of theistic beliefs, in the absence of any evidence which elevates them above the other possible beliefs, are a priori unlikely to be true.

But can't a reasonable person describe a statement such as "there exists a creator intelligence"? Absent the framework of any particular existing theistic religion? Then try and reason about the truth or falsity of that statement, or the probability of its truth?

I don't have to assign any value to the probability that God exist because I've no method to assess that.

Seriously, what is the aversion people have to "I have no freaking idea" as a valid answer.

Answer me this, what is the probably that something you don't know and have never imagined, exists?

In your last question, you are asking me to estimate the probability that X exists, but you are explicitly not telling me anything about X.

Well, thats not entirely true - you told me its something I dont know, and never imagined. Its not clear whether you mean X is outside the category of things I could have known or imagined, or whether X is just not one of the specific things I knew or imagined; that does make a difference, but I dont think thats the intention of your question.
    I think your question is mean to be "estimate the probability of X, where Im telling you nothing about X - it doesnt even necessarily have to be something you know or could have imagined".

As Im sure you intend, thats a really hard question. I don't even know where to start.
    We arent even limited to the set of things that could conceivably exist.
    Im not sure I can sensibly reply to that question?

But I dont think its analogous to asking about P(God).

You have no trouble giving a low probability that any particular theistic god (god_1, god_2 etc) exists, as I understand it? You also seem to have no problem saying that the sum of the probabilities P(god_1 or god_2 ... or god_n) for all the theistic religions that exist is also low?

If we abstract a certain aspect of the existing religions - the general belief in some intelligent creator - we can define a space of possible theisms that share this aspect.

Why then cannot we then ask 'what is the reasonable degree of belief that any of the religions in this space could be correct'? We cant we call this P(God), and reason about it?
    Its not defined purely in terms of existing religions - instead its an abstraction and generalisation of one of the ideas common to those religions - and surely its meaningful to reason about its probability?

Perhaps we simply mean different things by "embrace what you don't know".

If you mean "be content to just not know things", thats easy to disagree with.

If you mean "dont try and make up crazy theories, if you dont have sufficient evidence", thats harder to disagree with.

But I'm still gonna try :-)
    Or at least argue that the two things are pretty related, where humans are concerned.

No, it is the exact opposite. Not embracing "We don't know" is what leads to things like religion, where we get uncomfortable with the statement and just make up an answer.

Embracing what we don't know is the start of science and knowledge, because it is only when understand what we don't know that we can start looking for the answer.

I don't think I agree with you here. Honestly, I think the start of science and knowledge is making up bull**** theories, and then, in the magic step, changing the theory when contrary evidence appears.

I dont think the first part involves saying 'we dont know'. I think it involves generating large number of possible stories, and then seeing which ones pan out.

This may be exactly the behaviour of, say, some theists that annoys some people on discussion boards, where as progressively more holes are poked in the argument, the argument changes.

But, honestly, thats pretty much what the history of the development of what we now call our scientific theories was too.

Yes, accepting and evaluating the evidence that forces you to change the theory is a super-important step, and where a lot of us fall down - no disagreement there. But coming up with the theory in the first place, is also a really important step. And its pretty unprincipled stuff, and always has been, more intuition than logic.

If we don't understand that we don't know something we will be content with what ever nonsense answer we use to fill the void.

Which is how religion survived for thousands of years giving non-answers to these questions, because people didn't realize that there were not answers, that we didn't know the answer and that we should probably start trying to find it out.

We aren't working hard enough.

We could work harder, but I think we are getting way better.
    Like, did you see that book, 'thinking fast and slow' on bestseller lists at Christmas? (no irony intended)
    Ideas about the fallibility of our intuition are getting out there, bit by bit, at least in our part of the world.

You realised that you don't know. That is good, but then you could have got to this important conclusion earlier if you had simply said "I don't know"

Completely disagree with that. All "fairy stories" do is trick people into thinking they have answers when they don't

You need to constantly be telling yourself you don't know until you are so overwhelmed by the evidence that you can say you do know.

I dont think thats true. We need to reason in situations where we have very little evidence, and we need to form working hypothesis.

If you can't form a working hypothesis, that you only hold with very low certainty, then you cant do anything, can't get anywhere.

The worst mistake anyone can ever make is being confident they know something they actually don't.

I'm not sure thats true, either.
    There are definitely situations where that can really do damage.

Like, look, human intuition can do some amazing things - things that we arent even scratching the surface of, in our knowledge of how to make algorithms to reason about things.

Now, human intuition makes mistakes, too.
    We tend to see patterns where there are none.

Show an average person a page full of random cointosses, and they'll quickly focus in on the strings of heads or tails and tell you its not random.

But thats ok, because to make up for that, we've got this analytical part of our minds, that can slowly step through and do a statistical test and see 'oh actually, those arent patterns.'

Now, maybe you are saying, wouldnt it be great if our intuition didnt just see the patterns in the first place?

Yeah, maybe it would. But what price would we pay? Maybe its just really hard to have an intelligence that is good at recognizing patterns where patterns exist, without also having false positives? Thats possible - such tradeoffs might be the case.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you don't know something, and in fact that should be the default position that you retreat to in any time of doubt.

Maybe - but I think its often useful to be able to say 'I dont have a lot of evidence for this theory. So really I dont know. But Im going to treat this theory as if I did know it until I get evidence to the contrary. Because then I can make progress'. And we do that readily - unconsciously - maybe too readily, you would say. But Im not sure - maybe thats a necessary tradeoff.

I wouldnt be so harsh on us humans - and we're getting better at seeing the limitations, and slowly figuring things out, I think.

• Advertisement

Q: Do you think there’s a practical reason for having a religious belief, for many people?

Bertrand Russell: Well, there can’t be a practical reason for believing what isn’t true.

Everybody thinks El Presidente is a great man, including you.
    Two weeks ago, you learned about a great crime.
    Just this minute, you have opened a letter containing evidence El Presidente is responsible. He's not the man you thought!
    Oh no, the secret police are at the door!
    Quickly, you burn the letter.
    But the secret police will extract everything you know by torture! When they find out you know El Presidente is a villain, they will surely kill you.
    On the table is a tonic that erases the recent memory of anyone who drinks it.

That’s quite... at least, I rule it out as impossible. Either the thing is true, or it isn’t. If it is true, you should believe it, and if it isn’t, you shouldn’t. And if you can’t find out whether it’s true or whether it isn’t, you should suspend judgment.

The snake bite hurts bad, and the venom seems to be spreading. You think theres a 60% chance that, untreated, it will kill you.
    A snake oil salesman, who happens to be nearby, says 'This antivenin will make you better'.
    Such salesmen have a bad reputation, and sometimes their medicines kill the patient.
    This one looks trustworthy, but dont they all?
    Clearly, what he says is either true, or it isnt, but its impossible to find out without taking the medicine.

But you can’t... it seems to me a fundamental dishonesty and a fundamental treachery to intellectual integrity to hold a belief because you think it’s useful, and not because you think it’s true.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/nc/newcombs_problem_and_regret_of_rationality/

There's some sillyness in that particular post, which has to be overlooked, but, if you really want a nasty dilemma to think about, theres a good presentation of newcombs problem, which might be of interest, in the context of the Russell quote.

The "where did the universe come from" question is a good example to use in exploring why embracing "we don't know" is not in our human nature, for better or worse. The simple answer to the question and the one that was accepted pretty universally for centuries was that the universe was always there i.e. the steady state universe. The components within the universe may change, transform themselves from one form to another, but the universe itself always was and always will be. That was a nice simple explanation and one that did not tax our brains too much.

We could have just accepted that story and went on with our lives, there was no shortage of other challenges to work on. With the discovery of the red shift, and later the cosmic radiation background, we had evidence that our universe was expanding at the speed of light which led to the big bang theory. That led to all sorts of questions that are much harder to think about, what caused the big bang? where did all the energy and matter come from? what came before the big bang? how can time start from no time or space emerge from no space?

The question that is not as frequently explored is what does the big bang theory do to our concept of objective reality. As Whitworth stated in the paper I posted earler in the thread "Big bang theory implies a dependent universe. so what is it dependent on is a valid question even without space and time. If nothing in our universe came from nothing, how can an entire universe come from nothing (actual nothing, not Krauss' nothing)? .. The big bang theory contradicts any theory that states the universe is objectively real and complete in itself. How can an objective reality, existing in and of itself, be created out of nothing?".

A virtual reality universe theory actually fits well with the big bang theory (and QM theory), unlike an objective reality theory. It is important to note that even if we are in a VR, our universe would still be very real to us, just like if SIMS characters could think, their world would be very real to them. That does not mean we cannot find evidence to support the idea of a virtual reality universe, in fact the evidence is stronly supportive of VR rather than OR as Whitworth describes.

The issue is that although the evidence points to a VR universe, we don't like the idea, so we reject it. That is a bigger challenge in my view than our lack of embracing "we don't know", we hate to embrace something we don't like the idea of , which is generally why new ideas take so long to replace old ideas that have become dogma. Religion is a good example of this, there is no reason why religion cannot evolve just like any other area of human endevour. We don't consider the science of the first century when undertaking research today, why should we be stuck with how our distant ancestors thought about an intelligent creator behind our universe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I can imagine someone thinking something nefarious, and being ok with their nefarious thoughts, on the basis that no one could ever find out their thoughts; whereas if they 'strongly believed they were in a simulation', then they might not be ok with their nefarious thoughts.
    In addition to the counter arguments you proposed yourself, there is also the problem of defining "nefarious" in the first place. You have pre-judged these thoughts/activities as being bad or sinful, but on what basis? A holy book? It brings us back to the Euthyphro Dilemma.
    Most people (myself included) believe that it is inherently "good" to act in the way that minimises suffering to others. But its only a belief.
    In your simulation scenario, there is an argument for accepting goodness as "a truth" because, if it has been inserted into our programming, then "being good" (the opposite to nefarious) must be the correct way to behave.
    The counter-argument might be that altruistic behaviour simply favours survival of the species. In the simulation, the ultimate goal could be just individual survival by any means. In that case, a psychopath would be quite comfortable believing his thoughts were being read by the creator/operator of the simulation.
    Which takes us back to square one; living as an atheist, ethical or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

there is a critical point I would like to make on the issue of a universe from nothing:

The nothing Krauss and Hawkins refer to is not "nothing" as we normally think of it, it is a scientific defintion of nothing called the quantum vacuum. How a field of energy can be defined as nothing is beyond me and its a view that I don't think is shared by many physicists. In my view Krauss in particular has made anti religious dogma out of his theory.
    If nothing in our universe came from nothing, how can an entire universe come from nothing (actual nothing, not Krauss' nothing)? .. The big bang theory contradicts any theory that states the universe is objectively real and complete in itself. How can an objective reality, existing in and of itself, be created out of nothing?".

Time 1.13.00 + of this:

has Krauss directly explaining why what you've said is false - if you're going to reference him in just about every post try not to misrepresent what he says my man ;)

Time 1.13.00 + of this has Krauss directly explaining why what you've said is false - if you're going to reference him in just about every post try not to misrepresent what he says my man ;)

Rather than wasting my time listening to an hour of an Islamist who knows nothing about Physics and a Physicist who knows nothing about Theology shouting at each other, can you briefly explain in your own words where I am wrong about Krauss.. thanks.. my man ;)

Rather than wasting my time listening to an hour of an Islamist who knows nothing about Physics and a Physicist who knows nothing about Theology shouting at each other, can you briefly explain in your own words where I am wrong about Krauss.. thanks.. my man ;)

Within a minute & a half he's said everything he has to say as regards your misrepresentation, 1.13.00 - 1.14.30. It's interesting that the "Islamist who knows nothing about physics" makes the same argument you've made in here...

I can follow this point but to bring it on a bit, to develop why I feel inductive reasoning like this is pointless in regards to simulation vs. outside, is that you're not being given two foos. You're being given foo and not-foo. Simulation and Not-Simulation.

No, I don't quite follow you there:

In this specific case, the first 'foo' is the inner universe, and the second 'foo' is the outer universe, yes. But that is all that we have to separate them. Otherwise, we have nothing to tell them apart, and no reason to believe they differ.

We are talking about two universes.
    They are similar in that they are the same class of thing.

All that you know is that one is the 'inner' universe, and one is the 'outer' universe.
    Other than that, you've no reason to distinguish between them.

Perhaps you would say "oh no, they are different classes of thing, because one is the inner universe, and one is the outer universe. Therefore the outer universe has a different quality, in that it is 'real', while the inner one is still simulated."

But I wouldnt be arguing that the outer universe, from our perspective, would be the ultimately real one. In fact, in order to not contradict my own inductive step, I would have to argue that, if I argue that our universe is likely to be simulated, on the basis that in can contain simulations, thus that the universe containing our universe is also likely to be simulated, and is thus both an inner and and outer universe, in turn.

Now, as both Hawking and Russell have been mentioned in this thread, its only fair to acknowledge that yes, thats a bit turtles all the way down.
    But we dont have the problem that the turtles do. Obviously, at some point, you reach an ultimate universe. Thats ok, because we are only arguing for the probability of the containing universe also being a simulation - our argument is not sunk if the less probable event eventually happens, as it inevitably will.

Foo is bar.
    foo is not not-foo
    but not foo is also bar

That is not just unreasonable. It is not even logical.

I think yours is not a reasonable mapping of the situation under discussion into a two-valued logic, and that is what has caused the problem.
    Specifically, the bit that is unreasonable, is to describe the the 'outer universe' as 'not-foo'.

As I have just explained, we know nothing about the outer universe, other than that it is a universe.
    I claim that we can reason inductively that: out of the space of possible universes, it is more likely to be one of the universes that shares characteristics with our universe, than it is to be any specific other universe.

However, you make a very different, and much stronger claim, by calling it 'not-foo', in your representation, and thus attempting to argue that it is likely to have properties the inverse of the inner universe. Thats a huge thing to do.
    Calling it 'not-foo', just because it is different by virtue of being the 'outer' universe, and then attempting to thus argue that its properties are the 'not' of foo's properties is a big mistake.

Does that make any sense?

Your argument is a bit like if I said:

"Here is an 'ASDFG'."
    And I opened it up, and showed you it contained a 'HJKL'.

And then I said "'Here is another 'ASDFG'. Before I open it up, can you guess what is inside?".
    And then you said "Well, its certainly not a 'HJKL'. I think this because this 'ASDFG' is different than the previous 'ASDFG', because I have seen inside the previous 'ASDFG' and I have not seen inside this one. Therefore this one does not contain a 'HJKL'."

Whereas I would argue that the best guess would in fact by that the second 'ASDFG' also contains a 'HJKL'.

(The funny coincidence of this is it's not even logical to expect to be able to apply the logic of our universe to a universe which may be simulating it.)

Thats a whole other point; one I've been aware we've skirted around of, but one I would like to stay away from, because we cant do anything at all if we assume that other possible universes may have not just different physical laws, constants, properties of matter and energy - but also that they might have entirely different and incompatible laws of mathematics and logic.

Again, though, I argue that to make the claim that other universes could have such different properties, and to treat it seriously, is a little like claiming that tomorrow time will flow backward, or that causality will no longer apply, or that perhaps modus ponens will no longer hold.

I could flip this around, and ask you why you wouldn't take such claims about tomorrow seriously?
    And you would apply by making an appeal to the power of inductive logic. But they I would ask, why doesnt this same inductive step apply to reasoning about the outer universe?

I don't really have an issue with where you've put the groups (although I think the Z-axis is unnecessary, considering the Y is also a 'certainty' measure)

Well, you can add dimensions indefinitely, each time attempting to quantify the certainty of one of the previous dimensions, but that would quickly get too confusing for me.

I thought it was necessary to have a Z, in order to discuss certainty about certainty of god. But Im not sure about that model. I think specifically that Zombrex here would say I have misplaced some groups, and I cant say Zombrex would be wrong.

However, I take issue with your claim we must always have a P(god). Images and concepts like this can be useful in explaining the differences between positions, but anyone claiming any value for P(god) is just using an arbitrary number.

I think we have to have a P(god). This is something I've become less sure about as the thread has gone on, though; but I still think we have to have one.

If someone tells you (a) 'Do X or burn in hell', and you decide to not do X, then you have had to assign a low probability to the truth of (a).
    You might say that what you really did was decided that they couldnt possibly know what they were talking about, or that perhaps they had an incentive to lie to you (perhaps 'X' was 'donate all your money here').
    But by not doing X, you have, whether you like it or not, revealed a low probability of belief in (a).

Thats why I have difficulty with the assertion "As an atheist, I have no position on the likelihood of a God, I just believe the theists are wrong". But Im not sure, maybe its ok.
    but anyone claiming any value for P(god) is just using an arbitrary number.

I would certainly agree that any specific value for P(god) is unlikely to be true. Furthermore, that there is great uncertainty about any such estimate. But I don't think thats the same as it being an arbitrary number.

Trivially, any specific number is infinitely unlikely to be the right one, because there are an infinity number of values it could be, between 0 and 1 - because its a continuous probability space. So, instead, to reason about this, we should specify a range of values, and sensible statements of P(god) are really of the form: "I think the value for P(god) should lie between X and Y".
    Or, even more accurately, people should be giving probability density functions of the chance there is a god.

You could say that Theists typically give functions with a lot of density close to 1, and atheists (depending on definition) give functions with most of the density close to 0. Some theists, for example, might have PDFs more dispersed than others. It seems to be controversial what agnostics do - do they give a uniform probability density between 0 and 1? Or maybe the density is heaped around 0.5? Or something else?

When I drew that 2D chart, I tended to put groups on the x-axis around where I thought the average value of the PDF, for the typical individual in that group would be, and then on the y-axis corresponding to what I guessed the dispersion of their PDF might be.

I think when you think about it in these terms - which maybe you already do - a lot of the seeming problems with having single point representations of P(god) goes away. But its still useful to use P(god) as a shorthand, if that makes sense?

You could still argue that the PDFs are arbitrary. Again, for course, any particular PDF is unlikely to be correct.
    But surely there are some PDFs that are more accurate than others, given our knowledge and experience of the world, for a given definition of 'God' under discussion?
    I'd agree with the idea that most people will eventually think about the liklihood of god, however I don't think there's always a P(god) because it is impossible to assess the P(god) and as such anyone who decides there is a specific P(god) is just self-assigning an arbitrary number for something you have no way of measuring.
    It's not an actual probability value, just a point between 0 and 1. Any certainty measure is likewise arbitrary.

Just to be clear, the single-number-average of my PDF, which serves as a point estimate of it, is a value between 0 and 1, which quantifies my subjective degree of belief in the proposition in a single number.
    I think you are saying that the value the person picks, for their subjective degree of belief, doesnt have a good basis, and thus is pointless?

I would argue that anyone who gives a PDF of their P(god), where all the density is bunched over on the right hand side, very close to 1, is probably being irrational. Such a PDF would deviate drastically from my own estimate, based on my experience of the world.

This is even clearer to me if they are talking about P(old_testament_god), rather than a more general definition.

So, if we accept that we can reason about certain PDFs that are wrong, then we have to be able to reason about ones that are less wrong.

You're not inducing anything when you assign these values because you don't have a prior to base them off of.

Yes... 'Where does the prior come from' is often an issue with bayesian statistics.

Now, even if you dont have a prior, you can still reason about how evidence - which might include arguments - would update a prior and lead to different posterior values. If I had a prior belief of X that I was in a simulated universe, and then it turned out that in my universe, universe simulation is impossible, thats going to reduce my value of X. If someone builds a simulation of a universe, thats going to increase my value of X.
    Thats meaningful - but there is an issue about whether its useful, which may be what you are getting at (see below).
    And assigning an arbitrary number to an unknown variable strikes me as a huge flaw in reasoning, let alone across multiple unknown variables.

Then why consistently refer to such creator intelligences as a deity or god? If they are not a god I don't see how they cause any problem for atheism.

Just as another example of the inherent differences between a not-simulation and a simulation: if they are a programmer-creator but the mechanism of their creation is knowable, natural, and possibly even reproducible, but they are subject to the laws of the Not-Simulation then they are by definition not omnipotent.

Perhaps I shouldnt have referred to them as deities.
    I guess I have a wide definition of 'god'. I think that it would be reasonable to refer to such an entity as a god.

Most theists might not agree.
    And, the choice of word might seem like its a little odd from the catholic perspective.

Plenty of religions and belief systems have pantheons which consist of many entities which are referred to as 'gods' which have much less power than our hypothetical simulation creator. The simulation creator has the power to change the simulation at will, which, from the perspective of someone in our universe, makes them omnipotent. They are also going to be much more intelligent than us, I would guess, if they have been able to make a universe simulation.
    That makes them a lot more powerful than Thor or Hera or many of the gods in different religions.
    but they are subject to the laws of the Not-Simulation then they are by definition not omnipotent.

Yes, they are subject to the laws of their universe, which might also be a simulation, so they are not omnipotent in that context. But for us, they are omnipotent. Not omniscient, though, but maybe enough smarter than us that we cant tell the difference; who knows.

Perhaps even humans (post-humans?) in several hundred years will be hard enough for us to tell apart from omniscience.

[...]
    I don't agree, I don't entirely disagree, as from one point of view a mind is a simulation, whether the universe it's in is or not, but it's not really my point, which is that a mind within the simulation is an element of and part of and bound by the simulation, in the same way our minds are elements are part of and bound by our universe whether it is a simulation or not.

In which case I have to wait for you to address what I see as the flaws in your reasoning.

It does make sense, but you're seperating the simulation from an element within the simulation. They can't see because the simulation is simulating their inability to see. The simulation of you putting the simulation of the blindfold over the simulation of their eyes remain part of the simulation of their inability to see. It may be more useful to your thinking to conceive of these things as different but to mine they are not different. They are all just parts of the same simulation.

Yes, I agree they are all just parts of the simulation.

Still, that came up in the context of you saying "If you can't come up with an explanation for something it's because you haven't been simulated to. Given a simulated universe."; I believe you were arguing the futility of reasoning from within a simulated universe. I hope I have argued that, even while it is true that if you cant come up with an explanation, its because you haven't been simulated to, that it is still also true and useful to reason from within a simulation, and to work on the basis that your triumphs and failures of reasoning, while of course properties of the simulation, can also be just as well be said to be properties of your own simulated mind, and not devalued by the fact that they occur within a simulation.

It actually did, I want to give you credit for that, although despite pointing out the problem I suspect we may be reaching the end of our dialogue anyway.

If so, its been interesting. I suspect I'm starting to run out of steam.
    I think I've explained why I fundamentally disagree on 'having' to have a probability, and why such arbitrary values are not probabilities, but I can understand you wanting to use probability theory as the framework for your thinking about the arbitrary values you've decided on.

I disagree with the idea that you can 'modify' an unknown probability, or reason about the probability of an unknown without having something to base it on, and we can't base our expectations of not-universe on the universe.

I hope that the bit above, about trying to reason about how an unknown probability might change, in response to argument, makes sense.

E.g. In the state lottery, you win a prize if a random_number_generator says '10', and a die comes up six.

If you find out that the dice is loaded in your favour, its useful information, and changes your expectation of winning, even though you know nothing about the RNG and its chance of coming up 10.

You can make such statements but they are ultimately just metaphors using arbitrary values. (Also, I'm not sure from your statement if you mean X∩Y, or XUY. The signage implies the union, but the rhs would be better represented as an intersection.)

That was either a typo or an error on my part - I should have wrote:
    P(in_a_simulation) >= P(in_a_simulation AND simulator_is_humanoid)

As I mean the situation where it is true both that we are in a simulation, and that the simulator is humanoid.
    Which would be the intersection of the relevant areas of the sample space, as you say.

No, because we know the coin has two sides and presumably whether or not they are both equal.

We can't know the result, but we can know the probability of the result based on the size of the sample space and the evenness of it's distribution.

It's not an apt analogy because what we are discussing is a topic with an unknown sample space, and an unknown distribution.

We have no idea what the actual options are, nor what their liklihoods are, only that many of the proposed idea's are mutually exclusive.

Ok - so, if I understand you, you are saying that:

1) even if its possible to assemble a set of arguments, perhaps some of which also rely on empirical data, which would modify any estimate of probability that we would have about, say, P(god)
    2) even if we could combine them with a prior, if one was available; or reason about how they might modify that prior, in the absence of one
    3) its basically pointless to do this, because we have no idea what form that prior should take, or even what distribution it should be drawn from
    4) which is different than the coin-toss-in-the-sealed-room example I gave.

That is a good argument. It bothers me that we know so little of the sample space.
    And perhaps we cant get anywhere with an unknown distribution. Maybe its not possible to apply the tools of probabalistic reasoning here. Im not sure, but the lack of starting points certainly gives me doubts about what Im arguing.

However, I would say:

a) Its often impossible to find a prior that is in any way more well founded, than 'lets just start here', and this is a problem with bayesian stats.
    b) What people do in practice is they often just pick a prior, and hope that, if sufficient evidence mounts up, error in their choice of prior doesn't really matter all that much - eventually, they'll arrive at the correct probability value. They'll arrive faster with a better prior, of course.
    c) Its conceivable that, through many weak arguments, none of which would swing the prior very much on its own, you can still make a case for believing a particular direction.
    d) The exercise might be helpful to a particular person, who is willing to say 'I think theres a 50:50 chance of god existing, with reasonable dispersion, now show me your arguments for/against'. That might be useful, at a human level.

Problems with these arguments:
    a) doesnt justify anything
    b) makes a lot of sense, if you have a lot of evidence available; any of the problems discussed on this thread are characteristicised by having very little evidence
    c) I dont think we have sufficient numbers of even weak arguments (maybe theres hope here, though?)
    d) again, the posterior will probably be dominated by their prior. Even if they find it helpful, mostly they'll end up where they started, because of the b&c.

So, there's little in the way of solid ground here.
    People claiming that there is little good evidence around are doing well; thats not an unexpected outcome.

But where do we go from here?

Do we just say 'we dont know', or 'we cant know'?

Do we keep trying to mount up the weak arguments - some of which can be tested empirically?
    (E.g. if you accept the argument I have made about trying to reason inductively about whether we are in a simulation, then if someone can construct a universe simulation in our universe, that would count as empirical evidence in favour; proving that such a simulation couldnt be constructed would count as empirical evidence against.)

I still think theres something to the original argument in the first post I made.
    Perhaps now I think that any conclusion remains dominated by priors; priors which we have no good basis for.

Hmm; not sure.

Really? I don't see how a monkey in shoes qualifies as a deity.

Well, I guess that was just a bad choice of words on my part; I'd expect the monkey to be substantially more intelligent than us, for a start, and have complete control over our universe. Aside from that, I've given the best explanation for my choice of word above, but maybe it was just a poor choice.

You'ld hope? i thought you were inferring from our universe? Inferring from our universe, and the uses to which we put simulations, not forgetting that I find the idea distasteful, which is more likely: the simulation has a purpose or is a fancy version of the sims?

Touche.

I guess I would to be unhappy if our species expends massive computational effort building plausible universes, simulating sentient beings as playthings. I dont think it would be right to simulate sentient purely as playthings; not sure though.
    I would see us building habitats for our minds, or different life experiences. Maybe that falls under the category of 'brain in vat' - its certainly what you described, where the simulated entities also exist, or have existed, in the outside universe.

But thats all supposition.
    Perhaps it would be more rational to suppose we are in 'the sims', with creators who care about us as little other than playthings. Doesnt face the 'problem of evil' than assuming benevolent creators does.

If humans ever acquire the power to simulate world containing sentients, it'll be interesting to see what we do. Cant say anything more than that.
    Only because you already seem to be already telling yourself the simulation has a purpose other than entertainment.

Again, thats a very good point.

Then consider it shorthand for why you can't restate the question so that the positions of H1 and H0 are reversed.

Which seems to be what you're trying with your talk of 'no-god'.

All your swapping is terminology, not which one is the null, and moving the negative into the question is the linguistic equivalent of multiplying by -1 and hoping no one notices.
    Hmm; thats sort of what I was trying to say that you were doing.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your point about the null, and theres no real issue of contention here.

Within a minute & a half he's said everything he has to say as regards your misrepresentation, 1.13.00 - 1.14.30. It's interesting that the "Islamist who knows nothing about physics" makes the same argument you've made in here...

No, the Islamist asked a valid question similar to the one I initially posed (on the definition of nothing), and a 30 second sound bite answer is hardly enough to explore such a big question. Krauss is speaking to a non scientific audience and clearly is not going to delve into his theory in 30 seconds.

I assume you have read Krauss' book as I have. Correct me if I am wrong, Krauss' theory in essence is that the laws of quantum physics can produce everything we observe in the universe, or any number of universes for that matter. I fully agree with this. Where did the laws of QM come from? Perhaps you can point me to where Krauss explains this, or perhaps you can explain it yourself.. or did they also come from nothing?

When Krauss exclaims in that segment nothing in the scientific field means "no time, no space, no nothing", that is pure speculation on his behalf and not a view shared by many in his own scientific community. The known laws of physics break down at the Planck time, nobody knows at present what happened before that time.

No, the Islamist asked a valid question similar to the one I initially posed (on the definition of nothing), and a 30 second sound bite answer is hardly enough to explore such a big question.

Tzortzis assumed Krauss was talking about quantum vacuum's the same way you assumed Krauss was talking about quantum vacuum's, when in fact (as far as I can discern) he's talking about a related, but distinct, idea that doesn't involve the quantum vacuum or the "fields of energy" you've referenced. I haven't read his book but the point I'm trying to make is that if he's going to correct someone in the video by saying "there's no quantum" then when you say "quantum vacuum" I'd say you've most likely misunderstood him:
    The nothing Krauss and Hawkins refer to is not "nothing" as we normally think of it, it is a scientific defintion of nothing called the quantum vacuum.

From the video:

Krauss (1.13.35): "What's my nothing?"

Tzortzis: "Your nothing ..."

Krauss: "What is my nothing?"

Tzortzis: "Your nothing is quantum"

Krauss: "No"

Tzortzis: "It is"

Krauss: "No: no space; no time; no laws; no - nothing..."

Tzortzis: "But that's still the quantum... haze..."

Krauss: "No"

Tzortzis: "That is"

Krauss: "No, no quantum - there's no universe, there's no universe, nothing - zero, zip, nada..."
    According to present-day understanding of what is called the vacuum state or the quantum vacuum, it is "by no means a simple empty space",[1] and again: "it is a mistake to think of any physical vacuum as some absolutely empty void."[2] According to quantum mechanics, the vacuum state is not truly empty but instead contains fleeting electromagnetic waves and particles that pop into and out of existence.[3][4][5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_state
    Since he specifically says "nothing" & "no quantum", & the vacuum described above isn't as empty as Krauss would have you believe, at best I can explain your misrepresentation of his argument as an understandable confusion of similar ideas, summed up here:
    The idea of a universe from nothing as I understand iit comes in al least two main forms.There may be others too. The first was suggested by Edward Tryon who suggested the uvierse may have zero not energy and hence may be the reuslt a fluctuation from a vacuum.
    The second is from Alex Velinkin who suggested that space and time themselves can tunnel into existence from a state with no space and time. This is not from a vacuum. The only thing that eixsts here is the laws of physics which somehow exists even when there is no universe.
    The first idea dates back to the ealry 70's and the second to the early 80's.
    In the media interest in these ideas has increased recently especially after LAwrence Krauss has publicised them. Before that it was ALan Guth who promoted them, but that was in the age before youtube.
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4216817&postcount=3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_genesis
    http://debunkingwlc.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/alexander-vilenkins-model-of-cosmic-origins/
    I would imagine you read his book through the lens of the quantum vacuum & misinterpreted a lot of what he said not realizing he was following something along the lines of "Vilenkin’s 'tunneling from literally nothing'" ideas, a misunderstanding I wouldn't feel bad about falling privy to because this stuff is fcuking tough & I've done that myself in my own way in my own contexts :(
    Correct me if I am wrong, Krauss' theory in essence is that the laws of quantum physics can produce everything we observe in the universe, or any number of universes for that matter. I fully agree with this. Where did the laws of QM come from? Perhaps you can point me to where Krauss explains this, or perhaps you can explain it yourself.. or did they also come from nothing?

If I were you I would check my links following the rabbit hole deeper to get the answers to the questions you seek, my only point was to correct you on the quantum vacuum stuff, & by the way you could learn a great deal from someone who knows nothing about a subject ;)

• Advertisement

Tzortzis assumed Krauss was talking about quantum vacuum's the same way you assumed Krauss was talking about quantum vacuum's, when in fact (as far as I can discern) he's talking about a related, but distinct, idea that doesn't involve the quantum vacuum or the "fields of energy" you've referenced. I haven't read his book but the point I'm trying to make is that if he's going to correct someone in the video by saying "there's no quantum" then when you say "quantum vacuum" I'd say you've most likely misunderstood him:

If I were you I would check my links following the rabbit hole deeper to get the answers to the questions you seek, my only point was to correct you on the quantum vacuum stuff, & by the way you could learn a great deal from someone who knows nothing about a subject ;)

Don't worry, I've been down the rabbit hole more times than you can imagine :)

Krauss is basing his theory on QFT which is the quantum field. QFT suggests that any physical reality is possible, anything from "nothing" to what we observe as our objective universe. When Krauss says "there's no quantum" he is not being truly honest, as quantum is the most fundamental theory we know of, and is the basis of his own theory. You simply cannot get away from quantum, it is the most fundamental theory there is. Everything that is possible in our universe stems from quantum theory, you cannot state "there's no quantum", except to a non scientific audience.

Open your mind and start asking the tough questions. Why is it that in every interview Krauss claims there is no need for a creator due to his theory. Why does he reference Dawkins so much? Why did Dawkins wax so lyrically in the preface to his book, claiming this was the final nail in the theist coffin? Why are Dawkins and Krauss on a world tour arguing against theism? Should they not be doing science, which is what they are good at?

Dawkins and Krauss, when challenged, concede that science does not address the God question. Why do they spend so much of their time on the God question? Think about it.

Advertisement