Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new flickr

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

has anyone seen the "invite to group" option on images? it seems to have disappeared..
    really not liking the new flickr. the slowness is such a pain

If you click into the image and mouse over, in the bottom right hand corner there are 3 dots. Click this to get a popup, and 'invite to / remove from group' is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

If you click into the image and mouse over, in the bottom right hand corner there are 3 dots. Click this to get a popup, and 'invite to / remove from group' is there.

ha, that's odd. it wasn't there this morning! thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Is anyone else having difficulty with the slideshow feature? It won't work for me in IE at all, and in Chrome, it seems to get stuck after two photos :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Well I swore I'd never re-new my flickr account but Yahoo just took the liberty and did it themselves. I noticed my credit card being billed and thought "surely they would ask first", nope. For the last 6 years any time my account needed to be re-newed I would have to do it manually, it seems that Yahoo thought they should go ahead and do it automatically. I won't bother getting the money back because it's only about 20 euros but ..really sly move from Yahoo right there.

Well I swore I'd never re-new my flickr account but Yahoo just took the liberty and did it themselves. I noticed my credit card being billed and thought "surely they would ask first", nope. For the last 6 years any time my account needed to be re-newed I would have to do it manually, it seems that Yahoo thought they should go ahead and do it automatically. I won't bother getting the money back because it's only about 20 euros but ..really sly move from Yahoo right there.

They switched them all to auto-renewing accounts at the end of last year I think. I thought you had to opt-in though. Copious emails about it, but if you missed them (which is entirely possible) you could probably just charge it back on the CC or something. It is a bit underhanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Visually the new look is an improvement but the things I'd be looking out for in my own account have disappeared for quick glancing (view count listed for each photo thumbnail) and the idea that paying for pro only really benefits you to keep viewing stats for curiosity is a bit crap. I'm glad I know about the auto renew now as I won't be renewing when the time comes.

It seems with improvement they are also trying to ruin the appeal for many on the site. Since the update I don't go there half as much.

It's handy to have the stats but I can't really think of anything else I use on there much and even the groups I did use are quickly emptying out. I'm about to hit one million views though so at least I'll see the figures when they hit, other than that it's not worth the price, I was hoping they would offer some form of classic view for users but they are determined to stick with the new look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

better than it was since relaunch but still damn slow. imho they need to sort that one out really quickly. It is yahoo afterall so bandwidth+/resources shouldn't be a problem.

a classic look view thing would be a winner. i'm sure many people would revert back to it. 500px has a similar feed page, but it loads way quicker than flickr.

i prefer thumbnails, over large size previews. l can find stuff quicker that way. it's a pity they've done away with thumbnails..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Visually the new look is an improvement but the things I'd be looking out for in my own account have disappeared for quick glancing (view count listed for each photo thumbnail)

You can get the classic look for your own photostream (albeit temporarily) by clicking the edit option - this will enable you to see all descriptions and view counts etc.

Agree with the general vibe in here though - I'm still not sold on the changes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A few weeks on now and I find myself seldom uploading and hardly browsing it.

Anyone find it's after growing on them or growing apart from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Don't really have any strong feelings either way. I'm still using it, which I suppose is a tacit endorsement.

I notice views are lower, presumably because the large thumbnails don't give people an incentive to click through, but that's the only observation I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Views are down on newly uploaded stuff I've noticed. I agree, large thumbnails don't entice you in if you get a feel that you've seen the image in a reasonable size. My interest is waning with the site. I would feel my time since 2006 will be wasted if I quit and leave the history of photos sitting there idle.

still unhappy with it. there's a new yahoo bar at the top of the page, which IMO shouldn't be there. still slow as ****e, but my dinosaur internet doesn't help. it's harder for me to find stuff in my content. i stopped looking at groups too. just do not like it at all. i much preferred the old layout. why change a good thing? :(

Yeah, that bar is ridiculous, but Flickr is practically their only marketable product these days. I suppose they're trying to use it to get some traction on their other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

still very slow , and I have fast enough broadband - images pixillate before loading which looks awfull

when I logged into flickr got a reminder to return to Pro - with the terraB of free space , what are the advantages of going pro ? less adds or something ?

I honestly don't know the advantages anymore baz, I use to use flickr almost daily and even with a pro account I still hardly ever even log in. I didn't think you could screw up a site as popular and as useful as flickr but they managed to do it. I even notice on my facebook feed that the people who use to post album links for flickr don't anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

thebaz wrote: »
    when I logged into flickr got a reminder to return to Pro - with the terraB of free space , what are the advantages of going pro ? less adds or something ?

From what I see it only gives you stats for your photos and no adds. Once you are on the old system it's 25 per year and if you were a new user it is nearly 50. crazy but that's my understanding.

This is what the stats for pro look like, it's almost identical to the last layout they had for stats, other than that I can't see any difference between a pro account and a free account.

flickrstats1.jpg

And the bottom part, the middle is still thumbnails or particular pictures with view counts.

flickrstats2.jpg

I only ever used the stats page for tracking images because when some people steal them they are stupid enough to link directly to flickr, it's useful that way and I'd say it's useful seeing a view count but honestly the site is so quiet these days that the view count is almost always low.

• Advertisement

The new 'ad free' accounts, IIRC, don't have stats. And they're limited to 1TB. The old pro accounts have stats and unlimited space, and are half the price (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I always found the stats useful, made it easy to see what photos were doing good and what weren't, and to see where views were originating from.

But the stats have be screwed for a couple of weeks... stats not tallying with your viewed count on the photos page, so stats are showing a % of what has actually viewed. And stats from the previous day even change!
    Example: I uploaded a photo on Monday, its page said it had been viewed 180 times, stats said it had been viewed 8 (on tuesday)!

There has been one acknowledgement from a flickr person on the flickr forum about the problem, but still its not fixed. They've obviously changed how they count a photo view count, but its not carrying over to actually stats properly.

but honestly the site is so quiet these days that the view count is almost always low.

strange , but my viewcount has actually gone up considerably the past few weeks -considering going pro - think ther might be an avalanche of Adds soon.

so thanks all , 25 isnt bad.

thebaz wrote: »
    strange , but my viewcount has actually gone up considerably the past few weeks -considering going pro - think ther might be an avalanche of Adds soon.

so thanks all , 25 isnt bad.

They've expanded the 'view' criteria to include your contacts scrolling past your photo on their homepage, or people looking at photos in group pools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

amdgilmore wrote: »
    They've expanded the 'view' criteria to include your contacts scrolling past your photo on their homepage, or people looking at photos in group pools etc.

Where did you get that piece of information?

Where did you get that piece of information?

Saw a flickr staffer say it on some thread. Don't recall which one.

Advertisement