Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new flickr

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I like it. Turns out you can store more than images on it too (if you're a bit techy anyway). I like the design, layout and even the way it works.

Yeah it's slow, but I imagine (hope) that that's a teething issue with everyone on it and whathaveyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

What a shambles ! I hate it.

Can't see my photostream, just the little balls rolling and it's stalled on that. Also, with a slow connection, these (big)contact photos coming up on the home page are going to take an awful lot of time to load for me on night when connection is dire...

Went onto the Help thingy, and about 5 or 6 discussions on "bugs" popped up. On the Photostream discussion, there are 6 pages full of unhappy customers who have lost their pro accounts, or their accounts have been messed up, and lots of others like me who can't see their own stream.

What's the bloody point ? :mad:

Phew, that helped, thanks. :D

edit : thank goodness I've a Pix.ie account, hadn't been using it much but i think that'll be my main account now.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

A phased rollout probably would have been a wise idea. They shou;ld have known the amount of traffic they'd get after announcing 1TB of storage and after all the Tumblr press. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah for the love of.

Only a couple of days ago I paid €20 for a Plus account on 500px because I really liked the interface. If I'd known Flickr was basically going to copy it I might have held off. I can't quite decide if I prefer the thumbnail approach on 500px or seeing the full picture on Flickr though. Seeing the whole image is nice but I think it makes the page feel a bit cluttered.

I'm also on the fence about the new interface for viewing individual photos. Often when I click an image I click again to see it larger on the black backround, so in that sense it saves me an extra click, but the description/comments/tags section looks a bit squished and ugly now. My main gripe with 500px is that functionality too, though - when you click an image all it does is darken the surrounding area of the page, feels quite lazy.

I really don't like the landing page, though. I liked seeing my recent activity first, and all I had to do was scroll down to see if any of my contacts had posted anything new. Now that's like blunt force trauma to the head and you have to search for recent activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I don't like it all.

It was nice and clean where you could only see my recent uploads about 2 or 3 photos. Now when you go on there(at least on my screen) I can see 22 images of all different things. You don't know where to look.

It's the reason I didn't like 500px either.. The wall of thumbnails is just hideous :(

Why can't we have options of how to display our photos instead of changing it for everyone.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Love it. Been waiting for it to happen for ages. And you'll see more and more websites going down this route too (it's not a 500px thing, they copied it from other people). Look at the average website on a widescreen monitor (as most of us have now) and 30% or more of those expensive pixels will be blank and unused. Websites like Flickr (and Goggle+ recently too) are starting to cop on and use the whole screen and it's about bloody time tbh.

People hate change though - especially the older ones :)

All we need now is for Facebook to roll out their own wide-screen, responsive version and it'll be flaming torches, pitchforks and lynchings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

One of the main reasons I never used flickr regularly was because other viewes could only see the most 300 pics I had uploaded (or some figure in that ballpark), since I had a free account.

Can anyone tell me if this limit is still in place or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

they said paid members can choose to go back to free by a certain date *reads email*

As a Pro Member, your subscription remains the same. You'll enjoy unlimited space for your photos and videos, detailed stats and an ad-free experience. However, you can switch to a Free account before August 20, 2013.

i'm kinda on the fence for the minute.. like it, but don't like it. need to get used to the changes.

I don't quiet get this-
    If I switch to a free account I get ads. That's the only main difference?
    if i don't switch I should get a reminder after 1 year to renew anyway?
    If I switch do I get a refund on any money I've paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

dinneenp wrote: »
    I don't quiet get this-
    If I switch to a free account I get ads. That's the only main difference?

You'll get ads, you'll lose the ability to re-upload shots, and your stats will disappear. Your account will be limited to 1TB as opposed to the current unlimited pro account. They're the most significant differences.
    if i don't switch I should get a reminder after 1 year to renew anyway?

If you don't switch, and your account page says something like 'account will renew on [some date]' then yes, you'll get the normal reminder and you'll be able to pay the old $25 to renew your pro account. I don't know how long they plan on doing this for.
    If I switch do I get a refund on any money I've paid?

Apparently yes.

One of the main reasons I never used flickr regularly was because other viewes could only see the most 300 pics I had uploaded (or some figure in that ballpark), since I had a free account.

Can anyone tell me if this limit is still in place or not?

This took about 2 seconds to find
    http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150470666

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

I really like most of the new features that are both bold and modern and designed to take maximum advantage of new large widescreen monitors and rapidly increasing download speeds.
    Being a long time Apple user the clean interface was easy to digest and while at first I thought that some of the features I liked were missing but in fact nothing seems to have gone, you just have to explore to find it.
    My only worry I have not allayed yet and it is serious is can people now download higher resolution images from my account as I have always used this as a failsafe backup.
    Fear of change or the unknown?
    Get real. When I had my own business all the management courses and books absolutely embraced change as necessary for survival in today's fast changing world.
    You will get used to it and possibly positively love it or go away but overall I believe Flickr is on a Good Course:)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I am not very happy with it, I can't now open Flickr in the office, everybody can see it from miles. I don't have an overall image of all the activities just stuck with a big picture that I am forced to have there.
    You cannot customize it not even your photo stream that is set to "justified".
    There are some glitches everywhere and more over the pricing scheme, it's obvious they want to get rid of the "pro" users. If you are a free user then the statistic page is gone.
    I think this can be improved a lot. I am not enemy of changes per se, but this can be much better than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

is there a way to migrate to Pix.ie? The only reason i wouldn't swap over is the hastle of re-uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Peace wrote: »
    is there a way to migrate to Pix.ie? The only reason i wouldn't swap over is the hastle of re-uploading.

put it up on the pix.ie sub section , Marcus is very responsive and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Peace wrote: »

I haven't used it myself but i've seen people rave about pi.pe

http://blog.pixelpipe.com/2012/04/20/pi-pe-feature-tour/

It lets you go from one media service to another. I've seen references to people downloading their entire flickr and sticking them on their google drive. Things like dropbox is also catered for as well as quite the number of other services.

Once out of flickr, you could simply do an upload to pix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh, and via Peta Pixel
    Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer stated, "there’s no such thing as Flickr Pro, because today, with cameras as pervasive as they are, there is no such thing really as professional photographers, when there’s everything is professional photographers."

That just about explains the cat and its mother really. The article is aptly titled RIP "Professional Photographers".

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Oh, and via Peta Pixel

That just about explains the cat and its mother really. The article is aptly titled RIP "Professional Photographers".
    Mayer says her “misstatement” was related to the terabyte of storage now available on Flickr and how many photos users are taking. In other words, Mayer is suggesting there isn’t quite the need for a Pro account given the tremendous amount of storage space now available to all users.

Mayer is also using her Twitter account to apologize for the confusion, and it looks like the community is taking kindly to her outreach. Certainly, it’s understandable how a comment can be taken out of context, and this being the Internet, it can easily can be stirred into a controversy very quickly.

Read more at http://petapixel.com/2013/05/22/marissa-mayer-sorry-for-misstatement-on-professional-photographers/#77hqOolzrRJIKQBe.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a disaster for anyone on a slow connection (ie about less than 5 mb I'd say) or a moderate cap as there seem to be no thumbnails any more. That front page is a horror and as noted could be awkward for anyone with NSFW material in their groups as random pictures download.

Are there any tweaks to make everything a bit smaller?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

This took about 2 seconds to find
    http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150470666

I can't find a mention of that previous limit - no mention of it doesn't necessarily mean it's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

My 50 cents ..they have ruined what was once a great site that spurred on a lot of people to perfect and fine-tune the art of photography, both by seeing other users work and with very useful groups and forums. Now it's just Tumblr ..it's rubbish and after paying for a pro account for six years they won't be getting a cent off of me ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Stats are being phased out for all users, apparently. Only existing Pro users will continue to see them.

Seems an odd decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a disaster for anyone on a slow connection (ie about less than 5 mb I'd say) or a moderate cap as there seem to be no thumbnails any more. That front page is a horror and as noted could be awkward for anyone with NSFW material in their groups as random pictures download.

Are there any tweaks to make everything a bit smaller?

i'm lucky to get half a meg on my stupid three.ie "3G" dongle connection. my flickr now comprises of black boxes with small blue question mark boxes in the centre where images should be...

would love if they gave an option how to display your front page (the way they used to let you choose what way your photostream looked like)

someone mentioned tumblr above... yahoo just bought tumblr, actually. the whole internets are going madddddd! :pac:

I can't find a mention of that previous limit - no mention of it doesn't necessarily mean it's gone?

You're right, they don't mention not killing a cute little kitten every time I upload either. WATCH OUT, KITTENS :eek:

but anyway...
    Unlimited monthly bandwidth

You're right, they don't mention not killing a cute little kitten every time I upload either. WATCH OUT, KITTENS :eek:

but anyway...

They don't mention your top notch comedic skills either, but they obviously exist judging by your two replies to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Is the Share function working for anyone with the new layout? When I click on it nothing happens. I think a little window should pop up but nothing comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Definitely not a fan of the new Flickr. Also considering moving to pix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I'm wondering the same - it's the main reason I upgraded to Pro. (I think it was 200?) So not sure if I should ditch it or not hhmmm

The main thing I dislike about it is the homepage - the massive pics of your contacts' uploads/activity. Considering I only have a couple of contacts and their most recent activity was two months ago, I can see this very getting annoying very quickly... I understand the idea of turning it into more of a social network or whatever, but I use it mainly to keep my own photos in order and sending to family/friends, so other people's pics aren't my priority really.

But for browsing photostreams I think it's kinda neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wow it is slow , and I now worry for Add saturation under the Yahoo regime , thank God for pix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

thebaz wrote: »
    put it up on the pix.ie sub section , Marcus is very responsive and helpful

use bulkr to download your photo stream and then re-upload to pix.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

has anyone seen the "invite to group" option on images? it seems to have disappeared..
    really not liking the new flickr. the slowness is such a pain

Advertisement