Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new flickr

Options
  • 20-05-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭

signed into flickr tonight, and noticed a big change in display :-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz

Very like 500 px , but my initial reaction is i like it.

any other thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Just seen it now. 500px was the first thing the popped into my head too.

I like the new tiled layout; unlike 500px you can see each picture in its entirety rather than just a random square crop. Not so sure about the individual photo pages: I miss having all the information on the same screen of the photo without having to scroll down.

I think, overall, I like it but it will take some getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

The UI is beautiful, as is the Android app. Enough to bring me back. Starting to wish I hadn't deleted my old account though, very quickly reached the 300MB upload cap (edit: which is apparently now gone) as I started uploading my oldest photos :o

My profile :)

Also; someone tag all my photos for me, thanks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Members now get 1tb free right? That's a lot of photo's. Also it is one more thing that they have taken away from pro members!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Members now get 1tb free right? That's a lot of photo's. Also it is one more thing that they have taken away from pro members!

they said paid members can choose to go back to free by a certain date *reads email*

As a Pro Member, your subscription remains the same. You'll enjoy unlimited space for your photos and videos, detailed stats and an ad-free experience. However, you can switch to a Free account before August 20, 2013.

i'm kinda on the fence for the minute.. like it, but don't like it. need to get used to the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is there still the monthly upload limit for free members?
    It was the only thing that made me change to a pro account. Ads i could live with and stats arent that important to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I think the new justified photostream page is a nice view, but for OTHER people looking at my stream (and for when I'm looking at other people's streams of course). I want the old view for when I'm looking at my stream so I can quickly look over the pictures and descriptions/comments/faves etc etc. Plus that justified scrolly view is a PITA sometimes, it's glitchy at least on the groups picture listings it's been on for a while.

The one thing that REALLY bugs me is the landing page. If I go to 'flickr' I want an immediate list of any recent activity and my stats overview. The LAST thing I want is whatever last picture my contacts have uploaded in huge form front and centre. I don't really CARE what my contacts have uploaded recently :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I like it. A lot. The old interface had grown old and stale.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfinn/

Regards,

John

The one thing that REALLY bugs me is the landing page. If I go to 'flickr' I want an immediate list of any recent activity and my stats overview. The LAST thing I want is whatever last picture my contacts have uploaded in huge form front and centre. I don't really CARE what my contacts have uploaded recently :-D

Case in point, if I visit flickr right at the moment, I get this writ large on my screen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pullandbang/8765109434/

:D

But more seriously, a lot of my contacts have stuff that probably aren't the safest things to look at in an open plan office. I don't want some artistic nude plastered all over my entire widescreen monitor when I go to flickr of a lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

bit of a pain in the arse to browse at work now with full screen images

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

My biggest gripe with Flikr is when browsing the pic, and the url changes for each one. Never understood why they don't have a decent gallery where it will allow you to navigate the photos without having to reload the page. I understand that they could do it this way so that you can grab the URL from the address bar easily, and share it. But there are other ways to do this which would allow for a better experience IMO!

• Advertisement

My biggest gripe with Flikr is when browsing the pic, and the url changes for each one. Never understood why they don't have a decent gallery where it will allow you to navigate the photos without having to reload the page. I understand that they could do it this way so that you can grab the URL from the address bar easily, and share it. But there are other ways to do this which would allow for a better experience IMO!

What :confused:

If you're looking at an individual image then there's a URL associated with that image of course. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for, but you can view an entire set of images using the URL of the set, and open a slideshow* of that set. That might be what you want ?

*though it, quelle surprise, seems to be broken at the moment :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I've been using flikr all this time and I didn't know there was a slideshow feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It's like their app, I can't stand it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

does anyone use http://www.flickriver.com

I find myself browsing images solely using this website because it cuts out a lot of the crap and has a very good search feature

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was near my renewal date and have now switched back to free. I notice it warned me that I cannot subsequently go pro again.
    they said paid members can choose to go back to free by a certain date *reads email*

As a Pro Member, your subscription remains the same. You'll enjoy unlimited space for your photos and videos, detailed stats and an ad-free experience. However, you can switch to a Free account before August 20, 2013.

i'm kinda on the fence for the minute.. like it, but don't like it. need to get used to the changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I dumped flickr last year, for 2 reasons, (A) I found I prefer the community spirit of pix.ie (B) I found that the vast majority of comments to be meaningless, such as "Love it" - great, but why do your love it?

I've had a look at new flickr, it didn't do anything to tempt me back, so sticking with a good Irish company pix.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

flickr. it's been a while. But I like its new format. The old format was just 'tired' for me.

Seems very slow for me though. It needs to be, pardon the pun, but snappy.

A terrabyte for free - Is that new or was it just that I wasn't there in a long time, and if its new then how are they going to get people to sing up for pro, or what is it now that pro has that free hasn't?

Yeah, thumbs up from me.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    flickr. it's been a while. But I like its new format. The old format was just 'tired' for me.

Seems very slow for me though. It needs to be, pardon the pun, but snappy.

A terrabyte for free - Is that new or was it just that I wasn't there in a long time, and if its new then how are they going to get people to sing up for pro, or what is it now that pro has that free hasn't?

Yeah, thumbs up from me.

The whole new pricing thing leaves me puzzled. Existing pro accounts apparently will continue being pro for the forseeable future, for apparently the same $25 yearly it is at the moment. However as of yesterday no-one can sign up for a pro account anymore.

The puzzling thing is the new $50 'ad-free' account. That's all it gets you, no ads. Period. I can't see that as an attractive proposition unless the ads are really intrusive, which will drive people away anyway, and it's a REAL kick in the head given the current pro account which is half the price and gives you unlimited storage. Maybe they're hoping that much more people will opt for ads or something ? I don't know. One thing they've resolutely refused to answer is that if you've shelled out your 50 bucks for the year, do OTHER people who haven't see ads on when browsing your photostream.

Then the REALLY puzzling thing is that $500 2TB option. I can't for the life of me see what the value proposition there is. My thinking is that this is part of a transition to something else. Quite what though eludes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

wow... i didn't even know that about the pricing structure. i thought they would have said something in the email i got.
    that is crazy.

what about stats then? if you pay $50 and get no ads.. you also get no stats?
    so.... existing pro accounts stay the same and all? this is quite a weird setup. i wonder what prompted the change...

and yes, it's hella slow for me too, which is quite annoying.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's nice. But, as mentioned earlier, the home page could but very embarrassing if opened in public.

Adult content being one thing but what if it's bad picture and someone quickly sees it and associates you with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Then the REALLY puzzling thing is that $500 2TB option. I can't for the life of me see what the value proposition there is. My thinking is that this is part of a transition to something else. Quite what though eludes me.

might be an option for video editors to back up stuff - but yeah, very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

I may be getting rid of my flickr, can't stand it to be honest

When I get my website running, I will probably host some, though not all of my best photos

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Well, my first impression is not very favourable.

Probably because I clicked on my photostream and all I get is a pair of twirling pink and blue spheres and I wait....and wait...and wait...and nothing?

SLOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Yahoo's idea of a joke.

Look, Flickr is first and foremost a picture sharing website. This new format seems to want to change it into Facebook or Bebo or some other such social media website.

My pro account is due in mid-June. I won't be renewing it if changes aren't made in the meantime to make it easier and faster to navigate.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

there's something in the bag alrite, time will tell.

My flickr page is still the same thou, no comments, no favorites, no views... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Undercutting Google is what it's about.

Google Drive 1TB is $50 per month or $600 per annum. Flickr is free (with ads) or $50 per annum (without ads).

Google Drive 2TB is $100 per month or $1,200 per annum. Suddenly $500 per annum for Flickr looks like a bargain.

I presume Yahoo! will shortly announce some sort of Google Drive equivalent, which will allow you to store all your media files with them or with Flickr under one account in the same way the Google offering allows you to share your storage allocation between Google Drive and G+ Photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I don't really object either way. It's a place to upload photos and has an excellent community from whom I've learnt a lot over the last year. As long as the latter doesn't change I don't really mind what it looks like.

My only feature request would be to ban each and every one of the reciprocal favourite spammers! (ie the guys who fave thousands of photos just to get you to give them a favourite in return).

One of the useful features of flickr is searching for an event or place and ordering the photos by most interesting. Try that for Dublin and see how one user has skewed the results in his favour (hint: he's the guy with the over-processed photos of birds and parks).

Judge wrote: »
    Undercutting Google is what it's about.

Google Drive 1TB is $50 per month or $600 per annum. Flickr is free (with ads) or $50 per annum (without ads).

Google Drive 2TB is $100 per month or $1,200 per annum. Suddenly $500 per annum for Flickr looks like a bargain.

I presume Yahoo! will shortly announce some sort of Google Drive equivalent, which will allow you to store all your media files with them or with Flickr under one account in the same way the Google offering allows you to share your storage allocation between Google Drive and G+ Photos.

ah right, yeah that's probably it in a nutshell. I was looking at Amazon's pricing, I didn't think about Google drive. Plus yeah, it makes no sense just for flickr uploads but if they announce a drive-alike with shared space it makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

They've killed it for me. Unless you pay $50 the thing will be ad riddled but crucially for me, you no longer have the ability to replace a photo. Often I find myself returning to old images and reworking them as I'm sure many of us do and Lightroom would keep everything in sync for me without having to upload multiple copies of the same image. This feature is no longer included in any of the packages they offer.

The comments thread on flickr is now up to 121 pages - if you can get on it that is as the site has collapsed under the weight of traffic.

Not good IMO.

They've killed it for me. Unless you pay $50 the thing will be ad riddled but crucially for me, you no longer have the ability to replace a photo. Often I find myself returning to old images and reworking them as I'm sure many of us do and Lightroom would keep everything in sync for me without having to upload multiple copies of the same image. This feature is no longer included in any of the packages they offer.

The comments thread on flickr is now up to 121 pages - if you can get on it that is as the site has collapsed under the weight of traffic.

Not good IMO.

Apparently existing pro accounts (or at least existing 'renewing' pro accounts) will carry over for the same $24.99 with the same feature set (including replacing photos and stats), for the forseeable future at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Apparently existing pro accounts (or at least existing 'renewing' pro accounts) will carry over for the same $24.99 with the same feature set (including replacing photos and stats), for the forseeable future at least.

That's an improvement on earlier then when that option wasn't showing - just checked and it's there alright. Have to wait and see if they nuke the update functionality, if not I'll be a happy camper.

Advertisement