Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would You Rather Go Naked Than Wear Abercrombie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Most of my clothes are Abercrombie so no is the answer to that. Sick of this bill s*it A&F bashing from people with no taste in clothes. I'm sure their collection of rags is laughable.

This attitude is the worst thing associated with A&C.

Most people in AH aren't in Primary School anymore. Your bullish*t is now futile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Most of my clothes are Abercrombie so no is the answer to that. Sick of this bill s*it A&F bashing from people with no taste in clothes. I'm sure their collection of rags is laughable.

Abercombie & Fitch, Hollister, and all other similar brands are for people who do not understand fashion or clothes in any way.

You buy what you're told looks good by them, you don't have a clue yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

I buy what I know looks good and what doesn't, Why is it assumed because it's a certain brand "I'm told by them", such a crock of chit. In your humble but vast I'm sure, opinion, what would you suggest I buy? Of course I'd listen because I believe you would know oh and cause you told me to.

I buy what I know looks good and what doesn't, Why is it assumed because it's a certain brand "I'm told by them", such a crock of chit. In your humble but vast I'm sure, opinion, what would you suggest I buy? Of course I'd listen because I believe you would know oh and cause you told me to.

Er..... you buy whatever you like, regardless of the tag on it.

People who buy garments because of the tag are, in most cases, doing so because they want to be "fashionable", and the clothes companies decide what's fashionable.

SV wrote: »
    Abercombie & Fitch, Hollister, and all other similar brands are for people who do not understand fashion or clothes in any way.

I understand fashion enough to know what I like and I think Abercrombie and Hollister make some of the nicest clothes you can buy. They are also very good value.

• Advertisement

I disagree. I have bought in local stores online brands and non brands, not because of the name the tag but because I liked it. To me it

seems as it is you who take note of the brand. when I buy it's not to be fashionable but because I like an item as ive said before if that

be Pennys or Prada so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

zom wrote: »

More free advertising for Abercrombie and Fitch. Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't have any A & F clothes, a bit too common for my tastes, I think they need to work on the exclusivity a bit before I would be interested. Each to their own though, I suppose.

How are those robes working out for you? You know the ones?
    Woven by blind Tibetan monks on the second full moon after a solar storm.

I would like to know since I am one of the idiots who buy this brand now and again what you wear.

I disagree. I have bought in local stores online brands and non brands, not because of the name the tag but because I liked it. To me it

seems as it is you who take note of the brand. when I buy it's not to be fashionable but because I like an item as ive said before if that

be Pennys or Prada so be it.

Was this addressed at me? If so, how does it seem to you I take note of the brand exactly?

I, for one, wear whatever I feel is nice and would suit me. I have expensive clothes, I have cheap clothes. The brand doesn't matter.

But a poster described the clothes of those who don't like A&C as "rags" with no information other than they weren't A&C. That a ridiculous statement to make.

However, it's a common sentiment and one taken advantage of by the "fashion" industry.

• Advertisement

Of course it's a ridiculous statement to make. In the same way it's ridiculous to say I am seemingly wrong because I occasionally wear this brand. I wear a lot of brands and I think it is totally wrong for people to judge others by what they wear no matter what brand.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Was this addressed at me? If so, how does it seem to you I take note of the brand exactly?

I, for one, wear whatever I feel is nice and would suit me. I have expensive clothes, I have cheap clothes. The brand doesn't matter.

But a poster described the clothes of those who don't like A&C as "rags" with no information other than they weren't A&C. That a ridiculous statement to make.

However, it's a common sentiment and one taken advantage of by the "fashion" industry.

What brand of clothes is A&C?

When I said people who don't like A&F don't have a good taste in clothes I was assuming they also don't like other branded clothes and people who go out of their way to avoid branded clothes (as opposed to people who just but what they want) usually dress very poorly from my experience.

Sorry, I should say the majority of their fan base (I say fan base and not customers because that's how it's meant to be aimed) don't have a clue about fashion or what looks good and only buy it because it's that brand name. It was aimed at the poster talking about other peoples 'rags'.

Yeah, my clothes certainly are rags, I have a white tshirt that's a certain rag as it doesn't have a little bird in the corner of it

When I said people who don't like A&F don't have a good taste in clothes I was assuming they also don't like other branded clothes and people who go out of their way to avoid branded clothes (as opposed to people who just but what they want) usually dress very poorly from my experience

You should not assume what people do or do not like because of a certain brand, also very poorly in your opinion may not be in theirs or others.

Don't judge on clothes alone.

Sorry, I should say the majority of their fan base (I say fan base and not customers because that's how it's meant to be aimed) don't have a clue about fashion or what looks good and only buy it because it's that brand name. It was aimed at the poster talking about other peoples 'rags'.

Yeah, my clothes certainly are rags, I have a white tshirt that's a certain rag as it doesn't have a little bird in the corner of it

You haven't a clue what your talking about. I buy the clothes because I like them. I buy other brands too but I find A&F and hollister have a higher proportion of stuff I like. Its not like we get any advertising of the company in Ireland or anything. I was getting them from the US long before they opened in Europe and I've never actually set foot in an A&F shop except in the US.

Its a moose not a bird for a start and I actually logos, in general not just A&F, make a t-shirt much nicer. Just a small logo in the corner makes a plain t-shirt into something totally different imo.

You haven't a clue what your talking about. I buy the clothes because I like them. I buy other brands too but I find A&F and hollister have a higher proportion of stuff I like. Its not like we get any advertising of the company in Ireland or anything. I was getting them from the US long before they opened in Europe and I've never actually set foot in an A&F shop except in the US.

Its a moose not a bird for a start and I actually logos, in general not just A&F, make a t-shirt much nicer. Just a small logo in the corner makes a plain t-shirt into something totally different imo.

I have a checkered shirt I bought in penneys for a tenner, my housemate took it off the line thinking it was his hollister one that he bought for 55 euro. Something not quite right there.

Riiiight yeah, but people that don't like Abercombie or the likes must have rags for clothes. Like ya said.
    I was referring to Hollister there actually but I view Abercombie and them as one in the same.

and ok, fair enough, but I don't see why you'd willingly go and pay 25-30 euro for one just because it has the logo of some pretentious brand on it.

Can someone tell me, how much is, say a T-shirt or a pair of jeans in one of these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

like i've said before, it's grand for teenagers and bud light drinking americans but anybody with a clue how to present themselves wouldn't be wearing that ****e

What brand of clothes is A&C?

When I said people who don't like A&F don't have a good taste in clothes I was assuming they also don't like other branded clothes and people who go out of their way to avoid branded clothes (as opposed to people who just but what they want) usually dress very poorly from my experience.

Apologies, I meant A&F.

Yes, I was aware of your massive jumps in logic of circumstance! You didn't need to explain further.

You are A&F's target market!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, how much is, say a T-shirt or a pair of jeans in one of these places?

Tshirts are around the 20-30 mark and the jeans are around 65-70 from what I've seen but I know they can be in the hundreds aswell.

• Advertisement

Tshirts are around the 20-30 mark and the jeans are around 65-70 from what I've seen but I know they can be in the hundreds aswell.

Well that isn't too bad, it's not exactly Tommy Hilfiger prices (which are laugh out loud funny). But I don't get all the opprobrium for the shop, is it because it's popular? Has everyone become a hipster douchbag? I've seen people wear AF stuff, doesn't look too bad to me, I certainly wouldn't call anyone who wears to be a style-free idiot. But anyway, a slightly relvant song

"They be like, 'Oh, that Gucci, that’s hella tight!'
    I’m like, 'Yo, that’s 50 dollars for a t-shirt'
    Limited edition, let’s do some simple addition
    50 dollars for a t-shirt, that’s just some ignorant bitch (sheeeeit)
    I call that getting swindled and pimped (sheeeeit)
    I call that getting tricked by a business"

and ok, fair enough, but I don't see why you'd willingly go and pay 25-30 euro for one just because it has the logo of some pretentious brand on it.

Fair enough on the bird logo.

Why would I pay more, well better fit, better quality material and as I said I like having a logo or something small written on a t-shirt as it makes it stand out more.

I actually wouldn't really buy many white t-shirts, mostly polo shirts and this is the area where A&F and hollister really excel. They make really good looking, high quality and well fitting polo shirts and for only about $60 (less for hollister) when bought in the US. You would nearly pay very close to the euro equivalent of that for a far inferior product in unbranded shops in Ireland. I also got t-shirts for $20 dollars and very nice shirts for $70 so I actually think they are great value.

I will admit I was harsh with my "rags" comment earlier I lost the head a bit as I'm sick of all the A&F bashing in AH lately.

You prefer a logo? Any logo? Or does it matter what the logo is?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Awesome. Great comment, would read again.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You prefer a logo? Any logo? Or does it matter what the logo is?

Yeah it matters, logo of a known brand. Doesn't mean everything I buy has logo or is from one of the big brands but the majority is.

Formal wear is obviously the big exception as you wouldn't brand it but you can tell very quickly if a suit is a cheap one or a good one by just looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Why is there such a hatred towards people who wear A&F and so on? As in what genuine reasons do people have for not liking these brands or the people who wear them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

Anonymou wrote: »
    Why is there such a hatred towards people who wear A&F and so on? As in what genuine reasons do people have for not liking these brands or the people who wear them?
    Hatred is a bit strong, but there do seem to be many fashion victims whose imagination does not stretch beyond A&F (bought in a properly authorised store), 'Japan SuperDry' (an English brand actually with nonsense Japenese writing), heavy black rimmed glasses and big headphones.

Wearing heavily branded stuff and conforming to fashion stereotypes is playing safe and sticking to the herd.

Sad, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

No I'd happily wear the clothes than commit an offence / be really embarrassed. I doubt Id come to like the stuff but U never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

opti0nal wrote: »
    Hatred is a bit strong, but there do seem to be many fashion victims whose imagination does not stretch beyond A&F (bought in a properly authorised store), 'Japan SuperDry' (an English brand actually with nonsense Japenese writing), heavy black rimmed glasses and big headphones.

Wearing heavily branded stuff and conforming to fashion stereotypes is playing safe and sticking to the herd.

Sad, really.

I have clothes from many different brands,Hollister and A&F included and those two are definitely the best in terms of quality/fit/appearance etc,there nice clothes so I don't see the problem with wearing them? Btw i don't wear heavy rimmed glasses or beats headphones :P

Advertisement