Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones Chapter a Day Read: All Readers*Mod Note Post#68*

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

MOD NOTE: my view on this is simple : you are hear because you have read the books before and are current with the show.

There should be no need for spoiler tags as the thread title is quite clear "a chapter a day" discussion about books 4 and 5 etc and that being spoiler tagged is irrelevant imo as if those are being discussed at this stage then you are derailing and dragging the thread off topic.

This is not a dictatorship however :pac: so any submissions regards rules to posting etc are welcome, best clear this up now before we continue and the thread will run a lot smoother for all.

So for now the general rule should be stay on topic

I'm posting this tonight as I don't know how much time I'll have to post the chapter summary tomorrow. So here it is.
    Summary of Prologue

Night's Watch rangers Gared and Will and their commander Ser Waymar Royce are tracking a band of wildling raiders nine days north of the Wall. Gared is uneasy, but Ser Waymar makes light of his fears. Gared insists that they should turn back because, according to Will, the wildlings are dead. Ser Waymar asks Will again for the details of what he saw.

Will explains that he saw the wildlings' encampment. Their lean-to was covered by snow, they had no fire, and none of the wildlings moved the whole time he was watching. They were lying on the ground as if dead, but no blood was visible. There was also a woman up in a tree, but she didn't move either. Gared suggests the wildlings must have been killed by the cold, but Ser Waymar points out that the weather has not been cold enough to freeze men like that. He asks Will to lead them to the dead men.

With night falling, the rangers ride to the camp. Both Will and Gared sense something is wrong, but Ser Waymar mocks them again and commands Gared to stay behind to guard the horses. Gared suggest starting a fire, but Ser Waymar orders him not to. Gared comes close to drawing his sword, but acquiesces.
    Will and Ser Waymar climb up the ridge, Ser Waymar much noisier than Will. When Will reaches his earlier vantage, he sees that the bodies are gone. Ser Waymar, walking upright, reaches the top of the ridge and stands in plain sight. Will warns Ser Waymar to get down, but Ser Waymar just laughs. After declaring that he will find the wildlings before returning to the Wall, Ser Waymar orders Will to climb back up the tree and look for fires.

Will reluctantly climbs a nearby tree. Below him, Ser Waymar challenges an unseen foe. Will thinks he sees a white shadow moving below, but is not sure. He is about to call down a warning, but stops, unsure. Waymar calls to Will with unease in his voice as he turns in a circle with his sword out. Then Ser Waymar asks about the sudden cold, which Will also feels.

A Shadow emerges from the woods, tall, gaunt, and white dappled with a gray green shimmer. Ser Waymar nervously commands the shadow to come no further and fights with it. Others appear among the trees. The Other's sword is made of inhumanly sharp translucent crystal. Waymar is able to check the blows until a parry comes a bit too late and the Other’s sword cuts through the mail under Ser Waymar’s arm. Ser Waymar screams “For Robert” and charges but as his blade strikes the Other's sword it shatters. One of the shards hits Waymar's left eye and he falls to his knees, blinded. All of the Others move in and slash at him mercilessly.

Will turns his head away for a long time before looking back to see that the Others are gone. Will climbs down, examines Royce's body, then picks up the knight's broken twisted sword. He decides to bring it back to show to their commanders, hoping Gared is still with the horses. Then Ser Waymar stands up, his remaining eye burning blue, and his hands go around Will's throat, his touch icy cold.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Prologue

Ok quick mention about spoilers.

Anything that has been covered in the TV show does not need spoilers.

I think that for now any references made to anything that happens in AFFC and ADWD should be put in spoiler tags with a reference to what book it's from.

Happy reading & discussing everybody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

MOD NOTE: Rules here should be the same I think for the have not read the books TV thread maybe...... That said everyone here is assumed to have knowledge up to the current tv series, stay on topic !!!!! The thread is called a chapter a day so there really should be no need to discuss books 4 and 5 etc

As I said in the note in the other thread I welcome submissions on rules for posting here, it's your thread so if there are a set of rules agreed in addition to the usual forum charter I will uphold them

I'm just going to post the summary here, as I may not have much time to post the chapter summary tomorrow. Here it is, and happy reading & discussing.

Summary of Prologue

Night's Watch rangers Gared and Will and their commander Ser Waymar Royce are tracking a band of wildling raiders nine days north of the Wall. Gared is uneasy, but Ser Waymar makes light of his fears. Gared insists that they should turn back because, according to Will, the wildlings are dead. Ser Waymar asks Will again for the details of what he saw.

Will explains that he saw the wildlings' encampment. Their lean-to was covered by snow, they had no fire, and none of the wildlings moved the whole time he was watching. They were lying on the ground as if dead, but no blood was visible. There was also a woman up in a tree, but she didn't move either. Gared suggests the wildlings must have been killed by the cold, but Ser Waymar points out that the weather has not been cold enough to freeze men like that. He asks Will to lead them to the dead men.

With night falling, the rangers ride to the camp. Both Will and Gared sense something is wrong, but Ser Waymar mocks them again and commands Gared to stay behind to guard the horses. Gared suggest starting a fire, but Ser Waymar orders him not to. Gared comes close to drawing his sword, but acquiesces.
    Will and Ser Waymar climb up the ridge, Ser Waymar much noisier than Will. When Will reaches his earlier vantage, he sees that the bodies are gone. Ser Waymar, walking upright, reaches the top of the ridge and stands in plain sight. Will warns Ser Waymar to get down, but Ser Waymar just laughs. After declaring that he will find the wildlings before returning to the Wall, Ser Waymar orders Will to climb back up the tree and look for fires.

Will reluctantly climbs a nearby tree. Below him, Ser Waymar challenges an unseen foe. Will thinks he sees a white shadow moving below, but is not sure. He is about to call down a warning, but stops, unsure. Waymar calls to Will with unease in his voice as he turns in a circle with his sword out. Then Ser Waymar asks about the sudden cold, which Will also feels.

A Shadow emerges from the woods, tall, gaunt, and white dappled with a gray green shimmer. Ser Waymar nervously commands the shadow to come no further and fights with it. Others appear among the trees. The Other's sword is made of inhumanly sharp translucent crystal. Waymar is able to check the blows until a parry comes a bit too late and the Other’s sword cuts through the mail under Ser Waymar’s arm. Ser Waymar screams “For Robert” and charges but as his blade strikes the Other's sword it shatters. One of the shards hits Waymar's left eye and he falls to his knees, blinded. All of the Others move in and slash at him mercilessly.

Will turns his head away for a long time before looking back to see that the Others are gone. Will climbs down, examines Royce's body, then picks up the knight's broken twisted sword. He decides to bring it back to show to their commanders, hoping Gared is still with the horses. Then Ser Waymar stands up, his remaining eye burning blue, and his hands go around Will's throat, his touch icy cold.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Prologue

I'll be posting more in the 'have read the books' thread, but I'll aim to post a chapter summary in here every day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

mariebeth wrote: »
    I think that for now any references made to anything that happens in AFFC and ADWD should be put in spoiler tags with a reference to what book it's from.

And Storm of Swords 2 as well, no?

The first thing I remember thinking when I picked up the first book and heard the title of the series - "A Song of Ice and Fire" - was that calling the whole thing "A Game of Thrones" would've been much better. I almost hesitate to call it ASoIaF to other people because it reeks so awfully of dungeons and dragons-level nerdistry. I'd say that'd nearly puts some people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gbear wrote: »
    And Storm of Swords 2 as well, no?

The first thing I remember thinking when I picked up the first book and heard the title of the series - "A Song of Ice and Fire" - was that calling the whole thing "A Game of Thrones" would've been much better. I almost hesitate to call it ASoIaF to other people because it reeks so awfully of dungeons and dragons-level nerdistry. I'd say that'd nearly puts some people off.

I can actually remember the first time I was ever told about them, would have been 3 years ago now and a guy who I was coming home from college with who had already read the books was telling me that they were making the Game of Thrones books, clearly worried I'd think him a weirdo if he called it ASoIaF. I read the books in the last year as a personal crusade against watching the show, due to how crappily the books of my childhood were adapted. Guess I showed him who the real nerd was :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Just read it there :P Was a bit eager! Just on a sidenote, I assume that it's ok to spoil things that have happened up to date in the show?

As in we're allowed to talk about
    the White Walkers
    even though they haven't actually been mentioned yet.

Won't say much now as I'm pretty tired, not sure what to make of this so far, as I know exactly what is going on so there is no suspense. I guess it's more for the extra background etc.

But in saying that I still enjoyed it, I like the style of writing. I think I'll enjoy this read!

Thinking back, that 1st scene of Game of Thrones seems so long ago!

Poor Will, I was beginning to like him :pac:

Seems like the book will fill in on a lot that the tv series had to leave out, will enjoy all the extra info :D

Edit - Just read your post in the other thread which answers my question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Spoilering things is a giant pain in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

What's the reasoning for spoilering? If this thread is for those who have already read the books then surely spoiler tags aren't necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Great opening scene. I like the way you get a subtle sense of the social order, as in Gared is the more experienced ranger and Will is a more experienced woodsman but they both have to defer to Royce because of his social status as a lord and commander. It also feels like these things don't matter so much on the other side of the wall, from the observations on the unsuitability of Royce's sword and horse.

I'm guessing that the Others are wites and the one that fought with Royce was a White Walker?

I love the descriptions of the cold.

My reason behind spoilers for the later books was in case some people haven't finished the later books.

Maybe the mods might prefer to weigh in on whether or not we need to use spoilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Spoiler tags in a "have read the books" thread is a big turn off.

Its going to be a total pain for those people that have only read book 1 or 2, as most of the discussion could end up spoilered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Ser Waymar Royce actually put up a decent brave fight against the WW. All his foolish arrogance aside, he died a true man of the Night's Watch.

And now his watch has ended....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

^ Agreed.

I was surprised that the Others were laughing as they killed him. I had forgotten that totally or it didn't register the first time I read it.

I had never pictured them laughing as they killed, makes them seem a little more malicious.

This was always one of my least favourite chapters but I think that was because I watched the series first and as an intro to the show it nearly turned me off it.

As an intro to the book though on this read I realised its actually very good. It sets the scene and lets the reader know what kind of a society the books are set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Swords rose and fell in deathly silence. It was cold butchery.
    • Our first POV character dies in the prologue.
    • I still find it starnge that the third son would willingly join the NW

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    • Our first POV character dies in the prologue.
    • I still find it starnge that the third son would willingly join the NW

How willing would it have been? He may not have been given a choice.

I can't remember if there's much said later about him but there's a lot of very distinguished Royce's.
    They probably fed him the line about how honoured he should be about it and that given his training in arms and education he'd probably be in with a shout at Lord Commander later down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Try to finish reading the prologue without the theme music popping into your head at the end, bet you can't.

Reading the prologue again brings back the fearful atmosphere that is portrayed beyond the wall. It is mentioned numerous times how experienced Will & especially Gared are but how on this night something is amiss. Accompanied by the arrogance of Royce you get the feeling from the first few pages that Royce is going to get these two lads into trouble because of his pride & his pursuit of some sort of glory by finding these "dead" wildings. When I first read the prologue I was sure that Royce would be the son of a huge character in the book, I still hate him after reading it for the 3rd time!

The tension builds until they come up close to the camp and when they got off their horses I remember thinking, bad idea! The atmosphere keeps building with the insight of Will & Gared fears which keeps you reading. Then the wilding bodies are missing and for me anyway I knew that they were ****ed, there was something scary in those woods! I felt relieved for Will climbing the tree getting off the ground and you just know something is coming. Then the White Walkers emerge. I was & still am surprised that Royce showed a bit of bravery & honour by trying to fight them off but GRRM makes it clear that these White Walkers are far more powerful then men. When he is struck down you can't help but feel a little for sorry him as arrogant a fool he was.

Then when the White Walkers leave and Will is checking Royce, when his dead eye opened first thing that came to my head was a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Great start to a great book that fills you full of questions going into the next chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

My book arrived this morning, just in time, I've read the prologue but I want to keep reading it:)

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I was surprised that the Others were laughing as they killed him. I had forgotten that totally or it didn't register the first time I read it.

I had never pictured them laughing as they killed, makes them seem a little more malicious.

It didn't register for me either, but I skimmed through the prologue on previous reads, kind of felt like I'd seen it, and I knew what happened so I didn't need to pay attention, how wrong I was.

What makes me wonder is just how important is it that our first introduction to Westeros and the world of ASOIAF is North of the wall? Why is it that we meet men of the Nights Watch before anyone else in Westeros?

mariebeth wrote: »
    It didn't register for me either, but I skimmed through the prologue on previous reads, kind of felt like I'd seen it, and I knew what happened so I didn't need to pay attention, how wrong I was.

What makes me wonder is just how important is it that our first introduction to Westeros and the world of ASOIAF is North of the wall? Why is it that we meet men of the Nights Watch before anyone else in Westeros?

We're introduced to key concepts that are fundamental to the nature of Westeros and the North especially.

The north is basically defined by the wall. I suppose it sets an underpinning menace to the rest of the book although given that most other characters haven't a clue what's really beyond the wall, it's mostly ignored and forgotten about until much later in the book when the wights attack Mormont.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Every time I re-read this I'm reminded of how it gripped me the first time around, and of how quickly you can become invested in GRRM's characters.

The tension he creates from the outset serves as a neat precursor to everything that follows after the prologue, and establishes an undercurrent of unease that never truly dissipates even as the novel moves south of the wall afterwards. When we later learn how carelessly most people in the Seven Kingdoms dismiss stories of the Others, we remember that we've already seen this in microcosm: the sense of foreboding that builds as the experienced Rangers sense something different about this night, juxtaposed perfectly with Royce's careless arrogance.

The characterisation of Royce is excellent. You understand from the get-go that this is a young man with a frustrated sense of entitlement whose losses to the traditions of primogeniture he compensates for with swagger and bravado. (That, and the fact that he's an arsehōle.) GRRM undermines him from the outset, referring to him as a lordling and making great little throwaway remarks like, 'At least in so far as his wardrobe was concerned'. And yet he redeems himself, standing his ground to do battle against the Other. Whether that was initially through arrogance or ignorance or stupidity doesn't matter; what matters is that in the course of that battle he found honour, and we find that men are perhaps not so easily judged.

I'd really like to have seen more of Gared and heard more of his story. I found him intriguing, the way his speech patterns belied his grizzled appearance, and I wondered where his clear sense of self and his justifiable pride and confidence in his abilities came from. The tension between him and Royce beautifully mirrors the building tension of the prologue, and made me think that there was something about Gared that made him 'better' than a man-at-arms.

I love Will in the Prologue. He really is your Everyman character here, the one with whom you identify most, and his sense of fear and foreboding grips you. The fear that renders him speechless as he watches the Others approach and watches Royce's battle is palpable. You feel it in your gut, in your throat, and you almost hold your breath with him. That moment when you realise that he's not safe, when he faces the inevitability of his death, that's when the measure of Will becomes clear.

The introduction of the Others... oh, that simple line, 'The Others made no sound'. You have no idea at this stage who they are, but you still have that gut-wrenching, something-really-bad-is-going-to-happen, oh shīt moment when you read that line. The sheer menace of their silent approach is chilling, as chilling as the cold that heralds their presence. The effortlessness with which the Other wears down Royce is unnerving, as are his companions who bear implacable witness to the fight, awaiting the inevitable outcome before converging like raptors on the helpless Royce.

Fantastic introduction, great characterisation in just a few broad strokes, highly atmospheric and suitably menacing... what's not to like? :)

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Try to finish reading the prologue without the theme music popping into your head at the end, bet you can't.

Even harder - try to read Ned's dialogue in something other than Sean Bean's voice..

One does not simply...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gbear wrote: »
    Even harder - try to read Ned's dialogue in something other than Sean Bean's voice..

One does not simply...:P

I find with something like this it's easier to read after seeing the series, you have faces to put to the names and points of reference for places and such. There's are tons and tons of side characters in the series as well.

So how many read ahead yesterday? :) Don't worry if you do, it's very hard to stay focused on a chapter a day if it's your first time reading. Just make sure you remember to come back & discuss the chapter for the day :)

Chapter 1 – Bran 1

It is the ninth year of summer. Seven-year-old Bran is traveling with a total of twenty men, including his father Lord Eddard Stark to see the king's justice done. It is the first time that he is allowed to join. Bran's older brother Robb thinks he must be a wildling, sworn to Mance Rayder, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, which makes Bran think of the tales Old Nan has told him about wildlings.

They bring the man forth, an old man dressed in the ragged blacks of the Night’s Watch who has lost his ears and a finger to frostbite. Lord Eddard questions the man briefly. Two of Eddard’s guardsmen drag the man to the stump and then Theon Greyjoy, Eddard's ward/hostage, gives Eddard his Valyrian steel sword Ice. Eddard announces the sentence and raises the blade. Jon Snow, Bran's bastard brother, tells him to watch and not look away, and Bran watches as his father strikes off the man's head with a single stroke. The head lands by Theon, who laughs and kicks it away. Jon calls Theon an ass under his breath and compliments Bran on his poise during the execution.

On the way back to Winterfell, Robb and Jon argue about whether or not the deserter died bravely, before racing their horses to the bridge leaving Bran and his pony behind. Eddard rides up and asks if Bran knows why he executed the man himself. Bran replies that he was a Wildling. Eddard corrects him, telling Bran he was a deserter, and explains that the First Men, of whom the Starks are descendants, believe that the man who pronounces the verdict should do the execution himself, lest he become too comfortable in ordering deaths. The Starks still hold to that principle.

Jon calls from up ahead for them to come see what he and Robb have found. They find Robb holding something in his arms next to the corpse of a wolf larger than Bran's pony. Jon correctly identifies the corpse as that of a direwolf. Theon comments that direwolves have not been seen south of the Wall for two hundred years. Bran then notices that Robb is cradling a small pup, and gives it a stroke after Robb reassures him. Then Jon gives him another pup.

When they inspect the mother's corpse, they find a large piece of shattered antler lodged in her throat. The soldiers in the company feel this to be a bad omen. Theon offers to kill the pups but Bran protests. Eddard initially states killing them would be the best but changes his mind when Jon points out that there are five pups, one for each of Eddard's legitimate children; they are meant to have the wolves. Bran immediately realizes, along with everyone else, that the comparison only works out because Jon is not claiming one for himself.
    Robb and Bran both state they are willing to nurse their pups themselves. Eddard stresses that the children must feed and raise the pups themselves, not pass them off to the servants, and must treat them well lest they become dangerous. Both Robb and Bran state they will not allow the pups to die. As they begin to ride away, Jon hears a noise and goes back to discover a sixth cub, an albino with red eyes, that has crawled away from its mother. Bran finds it curious that it is the only pup that has opened its eyes. Theon claims that the albino will die quicker than the others, but Jon disagrees, claiming it for himself.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Chapter_1

Chapter 1 – Bran 1

It is the ninth year of summer. Seven-year-old Bran is traveling with a total of twenty men, including his father Lord Eddard Stark to see the king's justice done. It is the first time that he is allowed to join. Bran's older brother Robb thinks he must be a wildling, sworn to Mance Rayder, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, which makes Bran think of the tales Old Nan has told him about wildlings.

They bring the man forth, an old man dressed in the ragged blacks of the Night’s Watch who has lost his ears and a finger to frostbite. Lord Eddard questions the man briefly. Two of Eddard’s guardsmen drag the man to the stump and then Theon Greyjoy, Eddard's ward/hostage, gives Eddard his Valyrian steel sword Ice. Eddard announces the sentence and raises the blade. Jon Snow, Bran's bastard brother, tells him to watch and not look away, and Bran watches as his father strikes off the man's head with a single stroke. The head lands by Theon, who laughs and kicks it away. Jon calls Theon an ass under his breath and compliments Bran on his poise during the execution.

On the way back to Winterfell, Robb and Jon argue about whether or not the deserter died bravely, before racing their horses to the bridge leaving Bran and his pony behind. Eddard rides up and asks if Bran knows why he executed the man himself. Bran replies that he was a Wildling. Eddard corrects him, telling Bran he was a deserter, and explains that the First Men, of whom the Starks are descendants, believe that the man who pronounces the verdict should do the execution himself, lest he become too comfortable in ordering deaths. The Starks still hold to that principle.

Jon calls from up ahead for them to come see what he and Robb have found. They find Robb holding something in his arms next to the corpse of a wolf larger than Bran's pony. Jon correctly identifies the corpse as that of a direwolf. Theon comments that direwolves have not been seen south of the Wall for two hundred years. Bran then notices that Robb is cradling a small pup, and gives it a stroke after Robb reassures him. Then Jon gives him another pup.

When they inspect the mother's corpse, they find a large piece of shattered antler lodged in her throat. The soldiers in the company feel this to be a bad omen. Theon offers to kill the pups but Bran protests. Eddard initially states killing them would be the best but changes his mind when Jon points out that there are five pups, one for each of Eddard's legitimate children; they are meant to have the wolves. Bran immediately realizes, along with everyone else, that the comparison only works out because Jon is not claiming one for himself.
    Robb and Bran both state they are willing to nurse their pups themselves. Eddard stresses that the children must feed and raise the pups themselves, not pass them off to the servants, and must treat them well lest they become dangerous. Both Robb and Bran state they will not allow the pups to die. As they begin to ride away, Jon hears a noise and goes back to discover a sixth cub, an albino with red eyes, that has crawled away from its mother. Bran finds it curious that it is the only pup that has opened its eyes. Theon claims that the albino will die quicker than the others, but Jon disagrees, claiming it for himself.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Chapter_1

I'll be back to discuss later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I like the way the book is more subtle than the show- you can tell that the condemned man is Gared from his appearance but they don't make it explicit.

I think that Jon Snow comes across more impressive on first meeting than he did in the show. It builds up a good picture of the boys' relationships with each other and with their father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

krudler wrote: »
    I find with something like this it's easier to read after seeing the series, you have faces to put to the names and points of reference for places and such. There's are tons and tons of side characters in the series as well.

It's weird with GOT though when the ages of so many characters are different in the show. I only read about 100pgs of this a few years back but Danyreas was something like 12 in the novel, which was uncomfortable reading. :(

Might catch up in a few days when I've time.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

While told from Bran's point of view, I've always thought of this as Jon's chapter. Of all the characters therein, at this very early stage his is the one with the greatest strength and the most promise (and surely this can't just be a coincidence in terms of the whole arc of ASOIAF? ;))

While Robb and Jon both flank Bran at the holdfast, it is Jon who is the more brotherly, the steadying influence who guides Bran through bearing witness to the beheading of Gared and who reassures him afterwards. He is also the more observant (he reads more in Gared's eyes than Robb, for example), and there is the suggestion that Bran is more like Jon than his trueborn brother. This link between them is reinforced later when Bran and Jon prove to be the most intuitive wargs of all the Stark children. It is Jon, also, who hears the runt pup's whimpering when the others cannot - whether through nature or necessity, his senses are more keenly honed than the others. The meaning he draws from the direwolf pups mark him as someone who sees more, connects more and understands more, while his omission of himself as a Stark child shows that he puts the greater good before himself... and yet he is clearly no pushover, as evidenced in his barely concealed contempt for Theon. I've been quite disappointed by Jon in the HBO series because he demonstrates much greater perception and fortitude in the books.

Jon is definitely right about one thing: Theon is an ass. Beyond observing that he has little respect for life we don't see much of Theon, but Jon's reactions to him can't help but colour the way we see him. You can't help but wonder just how much of that cocksure swagger would remain were he to lose the protection of his guardian.

Much is made of Eddard Stark's inscrutable honour and sense of duty throughout GoT, and we get our first introduction to both in this chapter. We get to see both sides of the man, though: the father and the lord. He talks to Bran of honour and duty, but takes the time to elicit the boy's own thoughts first. Although he has taken life, it is something that he respects. Responsibility is something he takes seriously, and something he expects his sons to take seriously also. I like the way Eddard's relationship with Jon is introduced. When Robb and Jon discover the direwolf, Eddard clearly identifies Jon as his own, inviting Bran to come and look at 'what mischief my sons have rooted out'. His reaction when Jon omits himself from the count of Stark children belies a tender concern, and Jon's words and actions give him pause for thought - much is implied in the short silence that follows before Robb 'rushed into the silence he left'.

Robb is pretty much what you'd expect from an eldest son, as yet unburdened by the responsibilities of rule but possessed of an assurance that no doubt comes with his position. You do tend to wish, however, that his character were somewhat tempered by some of Jon's qualities.

Of Bran there is little to say at this stage, and no indication of the events about to unfold in his young life. The strongest impressions we have are the awe with which he regards his father and the love he feels for Jon. The rest is typical of a young boy of his age, ready to be imprinted, shaped and influenced by the events and experiences that will make him a man. He is an open book at this stage, more a reflection of those around him than anything else.

Plenty of foreshadowing of later events here, most notably the antler that kills the direwolf. I also like how the Others are referred to in decreasing measure throughout the chapter, moving from a distant, imagined threat by a young boy to stories told by an old nurse to an offhand oath. Coming directly after the events of the Prologue, you quickly get the impression that those south of the wall haven't the first clue what the man they just executed might well have witnessed.

Also, I want a direwolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I would agree that this is Jon's chapter.

There's a lot of detail in the descriptions of Jon and Robb. Jon (slender, dark-haired & grey eyes, strong and fast) vs. Robb (muscular, red-brown hair & blue eyes, graceful and quick). Brothers indeed :pac:

Jon refers to Theon repeatedly as Greyjoy. You can taste his dislike of Theon. It's dripping from the page. We're not supposed to like him, but i wonder why it was Theon who brought forward Ice. Theon is a ward, not a squire nor a servant.

I thinks it's already clear that Jon has grown up harder than his brothers, even moreso than Theon, and you can hear the toughnes with the last words "I think not, Greyjoy. This one belongs to me".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

snausages wrote: »
    It's weird with GOT though when the ages of so many characters are different in the show. I only read about 100pgs of this a few years back but Danyreas was something like 12 in the novel, which was uncomfortable reading. :(

Might catch up in a few days when I've time.

Don't see how it should be uncomfortable? It's how things happened. History books will provide similar reading ;)

The show kind of ruins the medieval feeling a bit where it went straight from childhood to adulthood with sexual maturity. The likes of Robb and Jon at the age they are in the show would be nowhere near as inexperienced as they would be. It makes the character arcs more complete in the book.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't be posting in this thread so I'll leave it at that while again encouraging you to keep modern ideals and laws out of your head while reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

On re-reading the prologue today I think it's a really clever start to the book, trying to push the show out of my mind. It introduces this really menacing supernatural type beings and then we more or less hear nothing about them for a good bit. I think it does the Walkers more justice as well, the thought of them laughing makes them seem far more eerie!

Haven't had time to read the next chapter yet, will get to it this evening.

Advertisement