Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burn Notice Season 7 *Spoilers*

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

pajopearl wrote: »
    I just don't think that Matt Nix and the producers have spent 7 yrs developing a character that is universally loved, only for them to turn viewers worlds upside down by making him a hated man in the last 5 seconds of the story.

I want to retract on this point I made ever so slightly. I finished watching Dollhouse at the weekend and while it finished up after 2 seasons, there were 2 main "good guys" in it that you were really rooting for. Turns out one of them was the evil genius behind the whole thing all along. I'm not sure that the point completely contradicts what I was trying to infer, but in my mind, had the show run its intended 5 seasons, we may very well have seen a different "baddie" as the time would have been there to integrate that character into the show???? I'm not up on its history so I'm not sure. It doesn't quite put my theory to bed, more, tucks it in, ready for a good nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I can never understand why people post comments such as the above. All it does is rob the show of any surprise as anyone watching is going to spend the entire show waiting for that moment to occur.

I'm right with you here. Doesn't the *Spoilers* notice in the header refer to the fact that people will reveal what has already been seen, and is a warning to those who may not have seen the show yet?. So highlighting spoiler tags after I've seen the show should be ok. But "revealing" plot twists and upcoming events is just stupid imo. Nobody wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Final ever episode tonight. Can't wait!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,079 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DubTony wrote: »
    I'm right with you here. Doesn't the *Spoilers* notice in the header refer to the fact that people will reveal what has already been seen, and is a warning to those who may not have seen the show yet?. So highlighting spoiler tags after I've seen the show should be ok. But "revealing" plot twists and upcoming events is just stupid imo. Nobody wants to know.

My take on it is if the episode has aired in the US it can be discussed without spoiler tags and for any upcoming future spoiler then add tags which I what I did

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My take on it is if the episode has aired in the US it can be discussed without spoiler tags and for any upcoming future spoiler then add tags which I what I did

So if I watch an episode as it airs in the US and post big spoilers about it, that would be acceptable even though Irish viewers won't have a chance to see it for a couple of hours.

Spoilers up to the episode aired are fine, spoilers about subsequent episode really aren't necessary and a lot of people will simply assume it's about an aired episode. If you really need to copy and paste some piece if news about a show you don't watch then state that this spoiler is unrelated to events of previous episodes.

• Advertisement

So if I watch an episode as it airs in the US and post big spoilers about it, that would be acceptable even though Irish viewers won't have a chance to see it for a couple of hours.

Spoilers up to the episode aired are fine, spoilers about subsequent episode really aren't necessary and a lot of people will simply assume it's about an aired episode. If you really need to copy and paste some piece if news about a show you don't watch then state that this spoiler is unrelated to events of previous episodes.

I do watch the show and I would assume no one would enter a thread for a show with spoilers in the title if they had not watched the latest aired episode which obviously would be discussed there

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I do watch the show and I would assume no one would enter a thread for a show with spoilers in the title if they had not watched the latest aired episode which obviously would be discussed there

The point wasn't about spoilers for aired episodes but rather about spoilers for upcoming ones. There's no need for them as a lot of people will assume that it somehow relates to what they have seen

Let's hope we get a Sam and Jesse spinoff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I always did wonder about the voiceover, and who Michael was narrating his life to - whether it was just us the audience or an unseen person. That answers that then! I also liked the little dialogue callbacks to the first season.

Pretty explosive ending otherwise, although it felt a bit glib and hurried in places; it was also a very bittersweet ending and perhaps the better direction would have been to end with the lighter, more fun tone of previous seasons; I still loved this season for all its grimness, but it'd have been nice to bookend the series with the frothy styling of past seasons. I will admit,
    Maddie's sacrifice and goodbye to Michael was very sad and brought a glistening to my eye :(

If I have one quibble? Wouldn't the CIA have been a little curious where
    Charlie
    disappeared after the dust settled?

Dieing to watch the finale and waiting for my girlfriend to get home from work. It's frustrating as hell but shouldn't be any more than 30 minutes before we can get stuck into some Chinese, a few beers and the last 42 minutes of what has become one of the all time great shows.

• Advertisement

Have to say that I'd count that amongst the most emotional and enjoyable 42 minutes of TV I've ever seen. There were a number of way that it could have played out and while what we got wasn't the bravest of ways to wrap the show up I'm really glad they went the direction that they did.

There's a bit that I felt could have been done better and it's not the ending I would have liked for Michael and co but there were so many great moments that it's easy to ignore any criticisms and instead concentrate on just what a damn fine finale it was. It's hard to pick a stand out but let's be honest
    Maddie's death was the highpoint. It was really well handled and brought more than a tear to my eye.
    It did, like the rest of the episode feel rather rushed and it's a shame that Nix wasn't given a full hour to end to wrap things up.

Sam getting beer and duct tape was really well done and the way that duct tape was worked into the scenes was genius. Really was a small thing that managed to create far more humor that most shows could. The final scene was so well handled. I was half expecting Michael and Fi to pop up at their gravesides but the way that it played out was far more satisfying. It was really nice how they worked in the opening narration to the overall all scene and the various nods to early episodes was a joy.

I imagine that
    Michael and Fi's escape from the country
    will be touched upon in the proposed Sam and Jesse spin off. I'm thinking that Jesse, after handing off Charlie turned himself in.

There's a lot that I felt could have been done better and it's not the ending I would have liked for Michael and co.

I see Burn notice as two different shows. There's the light hearted, episode of the week show that we got early on and then the darker, more mature and serialised show we've been watching for the past few years. Oddly enough but if you took last nights episode and used it to finish out the earlier, first storyline then it would have been somewhat more satisfying.

But the more and more I think about it the more I love what they did.
    I'm glad that we got a happy ending and love the fact that Nix left it open for a few further adventures. And I'm expecting to see the first Burn Notice film in a couple of years
    but for now all I can say is roll on the further adventures of Sam and Jesse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has there been any actual noise from those in charge about a Sam & Jesse spin-off, or is this all wishful thinking on our part? I'd certainly add my own support to the idea, there's never enough of Bruce Campbell on TV in the first place, and his double-act & natural chemistry with Coby Bell was frequently the highlight of many episodes, and it'd be a good way to channel the franchise back into the lighter, breezier drama Burn Notice started out as.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has there been any actual noise from those in charge about a Sam & Jesse spin-off, or is this all wishful thinking on our part? I'd certainly add my own support to the idea, there's never enough of Bruce Campbell on TV in the first place, and his double-act & natural chemistry with Coby Bell was frequently the highlight of many episodes, and it'd be a good way to channel the franchise back into the lighter, breezier drama Burn Notice started out as.

Coby Bell and Campbell have been the ones championing the spinoff and Matt Nix is all for it. I imagine that the USA will be open to pursuing it as Burn Notice has been quite the success for them and a spin off from the show will have an existing built in audience.

Thinking back over the season and what I really loved was how Michael was pretty much battling against himself. James and Michael are pretty much the same person/ They share a similar belief system and their actions reflect this. James was so much more than simply another bad guy and it was quite a change of pace. For the first time Michael wasn't up against someone he could simply overcome by being clever and tactical. He actually had to make sacrifices and face his own demons. Really was very well done and a credit to the writing staff that they pulled it off so well. Can see myself going back and rewatching most of the series in the coming months. Will certainly be showing the interrogation episode to anyone I know who hasn't yet watched the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having watched the show since the start I was happy to see it reach a conclusion.
    Tbh the previous 6 seasons of pretty much the same handful of story lines, however stylishly told, was beginning to pall. The thing that kept me coming back were Sam and the pursuit of the people responsible for burning Michael.
    The car chases at 30 kph and the addition of squeaking tyre fx, the bad cgi explosions and the lousy accents, the reuse of the shooting location as any number of countries who seem to look identical, Miami, Dominican Republic, Cuba etc, not to mention the A Team type scripts, none of those seemed to deter me from enjoying the show.
    It was never the best hour on tv but it was a fun bit of escapism and I'll miss it.

A Sam and Cole show would be a blast but is it just going to be a retread of the last 7 years?
    The last time we saw Sam without Michael was The Fall of Sam Axe and that film was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Watching ep12 & 13 at the minute.

:eek:

End of the penultimate ep I had hoped Fi had died. Too much to ask for tho.

Maddy, god damn. Not sure how I felt about her throughout the series, voice of reason along with the rest of Mikes gang but did she hold him back I wonder.

Mike & Fi happy familes. The west of Ireland are they?!! The crew must have known given the kid was with them right?

Thanks for the memories and an enjoyable hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Got to say that I loved the ending. I love the fact that if Fi had just stayed away from Michael and let him hand over James that Maddy would have lived and the rest would have been free from the CIA although Michael may have been "lost". Who knows, maybe once James was gone he would have realised that he couldn't make the kind of choices that needed to be made and would have found a way to wind it down.

Finally, I wonder if he will ever tell Fi that in essence she had a hand in the death of his mother by coming up on that roof top.

They better make that spin off. Can never have enough of Bruce Campbell. Think I'll watch the Evil Dead trilogy again this week :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah, very happy with it. Hadn't thought of that angle with Fi and it's a good one - her life was worth pretty much sacrificing everything and, in many ways was a bad idea but in character that he took it.

Maddy's sacrifice was well done and it made perfect sense in the context of the story. I'm glad the show had the guts to bump off somebody in the finale (and at least they made it evident quickly Fi and Mike had survived since it was obvious they would).

Thought all the characters were wrapped up pretty well and definitely would like to see a Jessie / Sam spin off. They could throw in Barry too (who at least got a cameo at the funeral).

Other things were nice nods to the lines in the opening montage. They didn't feel forced and were a bit of fun.

And of course the closing shot is in Ireland. Top o' the mornin' to ye all!

f77fyk4.jpg

From reddit. So true!

• Advertisement

Starts on Fox UK tonight

Advertisement