Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burn Notice Season 7 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Really ramping things up and I didn't expect the return of
    Simon
    . If I have one grumble: is it me or have they kept the purpose and beliefs of James' group deliberately vague? Sure, they've committed terrorist acts all right, but I don't recall any time the audience was informed exactly what their goals were. It hit me during the scene when
    Michael admitted to James he was a CIA spy and made a big speech about beliefs
    ; it was all very dramatic but felt hollow considering we're (apparently?) still in the dark about the groups broad motives.

Started series 6 yesterday and due to being under the weather I'm now on episode 2 of series 7. The opening episode was a thing of beauty. It set the show up for one hell of a final season and keeping Michael off the radar was a great move.

As for the whole Irish accents being atrocious, well while they don't sound very authentic the sad thing is that most people find the Irish accent hard to understand and when casting Irish roles, actors including Irish burn ones are told to Oirish it up a little. Luck had one of the few genuine Irish accents and everyone, Irish viewers included complained about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Luck had one of the few genuine Irish accents and everyone, Irish viewers included complained about it.

Eh, sorry. Who???

pajopearl wrote: »
    Eh, sorry. Who???

Eh, that would be Rosie, the only main chararacter who spoke with an Irish accent. In the US they complained that it was hard to understand, though that may have been because of the manner in which Mann shoots and over here people complained that it wasn't authentic. I sat through many a script class where people flatout refused to believe that the actress was even Irish. Had to resort yo the Internet to convince them.

So unable to sleep and with the worst kind of summer cold I've found myself binging on series 6 and 7. Just midway through episode 6 of series 6 and the show has really kicked it up a notch. There's a real sense that no one is safe and I can see things getting quite dark before the curtains fall. I'm assuming that the people behind Sonya are people from Michael's past and as such I'm expecting Simon to pop up at some point. It's clear that the group is more than just a terrorist organisation and I'm thinking that they may in fact be the good guys, after all in 6 and a half series we haven't seen many CIA agents who weren't corrupt or working their own angles.

Of all the shows on, from Game of Thrones to Breaking Bad to Mad Men yo any number of other critically lauded and commercially successful shows, few are as damn entertaining as Burn Notice. It's a shame that this series is to be the last as summers won't be as much fun. Hopefully the proposed spin off comes to fruition as thus time next year, I'd love to be enjoying the adventures of Chuck Finley and Virgil Tibbs.

• Advertisement

Eh, that would be Rosie

You sure you got the right show mate. I don't remember any character called Rosie, Luck or anything. I've even had an ould sconce at the full cast listing on IMDb for all 7 seasons and there's no listing of any Rosie character. Either my memory just escapes me or you def got the wrong show.

You sure you got the right show mate. I don't remember any character called Rosie, Luck or anything. I've even had an ould sconce at the full cast listing on IMDb for all 7 seasons and there's no listing of any Rosie character. Either my memory just escapes me or you def got the wrong show.

I was refering to the show Luck, not an episode of Burn Notice.

WOW, just after watching episode 7 and it is easily the best episode of the show to date and easily up there with the greatest episodes of television ever. Granted the rest of the gang stuff was a little by the numbers but Michael's scenes were superb. Really showed just how well written and adult the show can be. Personally I'd go so far as to say it's the best episode of television this year and shows up stuff like The Newsroom and Dexter for the fluff that they are. Really hoping that the rest of the season can keep up the standard and while I'm hoping that
    Micheal's Dad
    isn't the Wizard it's looking somewhat likely he is but that said, if it is true I have every faith in the writers to pull it off.

I'm thinking that before the series is over we'll see Simon pop up again. I have a feeling that he's going to be integral in some way to the overall story. Really nice to see John Pyper-Ferguson pop up, he's one of those great talents that never seems to get enough work and was absolutely brilliant in an episode of Longmire last year. Hoping that we get a bit of a Brisco County Jr. reunion between him and Campbell before the show is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just watched episode 11 and I'm absolutely loving everything about this season. I realise that a lot of people are catching up so won't discuss the episode itself though look forward to it when people do get around to watching it :)

No episode last week. Is it a double episode tomorrow night, does anybody know? Doesn't seem to be any conclusive answer anywhere I've looked.

• Advertisement

No episode last week. Is it a double episode tomorrow night, does anybody know? Doesn't seem to be any conclusive answer anywhere I've looked.

Last weekend was Labor day weekend in the US and as such all the big shows take a week long break. There is one episode Thursday night and the final episode will air next week

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Last weekend was Labor day weekend in the US and as such all the big shows take a week long break. There is one episode Thursday night and the final episode will air next week

There is
    a big death
    in the finale

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is
    a big death
    in the finale

I can never understand why people post comments such as the above. All it does is rob the show of any surprise as anyone watching is going to spend the entire show waiting for that moment to occur.

I can never understand why people post comments such as the above. All it does is rob the show of any surprise as anyone watching is going to spend the entire show waiting for that moment to occur.

That's what spoiler tags are there for. If you uncover the spoiler, that was your decision and consequently, your fault for being the only part of the show that YOU are waiting for. Personally, I'm not sure I buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Don't read the spoiler

That's what spoiler tags are there for. If you uncover the spoiler, that was your decision and consequently, your fault for being the only part of the show that YOU are waiting for. Personally, I'm not sure I buy it.

I understand why the spoiler tags are there and they serve a purpose but a lot of people will simply highlight it assuming it's news about the finale being a possible double parter or set up for something more.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Really ramping things up and I didn't expect the return of
    Simon
    . If I have one grumble: is it me or have they kept the purpose and beliefs of James' group deliberately vague? Sure, they've committed terrorist acts all right, but I don't recall any time the audience was informed exactly what their goals were. It hit me during the scene when
    Michael admitted to James he was a CIA spy and made a big speech about beliefs
    ; it was all very dramatic but felt hollow considering we're (apparently?) still in the dark about the groups broad motives.

I think that you have to look at that moment from Michael's mindset. He has given up his life for what he believes in and that is protecting his country, something that the CIA should exist simply to do. Over the course of the six series we've seen that the CIA are completely valueless and most of the operatives are working their own agenda. For the first time Michael is working for a group that cares more for it's members than it does forwarding the agenda of a single member. Burke gave his life for Michael and Sonya and all James has preached has been the importance of looking after one another. He could easily have escaped but he chose to walk into the middle of a trap in order to help his comrades. For someone like Michael that shows an integrity that the CIA lack, the fact that they are working with Simon kinda shows just how willing the CIA are to sell out their values. I think that the only part of Michael's change of heart I found hard to take is how it will affect his friends and family.

I don't think it's gonna play out like that at all. Maybe it's just the romanticist in me, but I think that Michael has other ideas than simply just walking away from friends and family. He will be a wanted man for the rest of his life and all the rest will be thrown back in Gitmo or wherever they were. Poor little Charlie will end up in foster care if it goes down the way the last episode left us to believe. It may very well be true that Michael has gone so deep into the cover that he is the cover but as other poster have speculated
    that Michael's father is the one pulling the strings
    , might be the kick that pulls him out of it and back on mission. I just don't think that Matt Nix and the producers have spent 7 yrs developing a character that is universally loved, only for them to turn viewers worlds upside down by making him a hated man in the last 5 seconds of the story.

I don't think it's gonna play out like that at all. Maybe it's just the romanticist in me, but I think that Michael has other ideas than simply just walking away from friends and family. He will be a wanted man for the rest of his life and all the rest will be thrown back in Gitmo or wherever they were. Poor little Charlie will end up in foster care if it goes down the way the last episode left us to believe. It may very well be true that Michael has gone so deep into the cover that he is the cover but as other poster have speculated
    that Michael's father is the one pulling the strings
    , might be the kick that pulls him out of it and back on mission. I just don't think that Matt Nix and the producers have spent 7 yrs developing a character that is universally loved, only for them to turn viewers worlds upside down by making him a hated man in the last 5 seconds of the story.

The point is that it's clear that the finale is going to end with Michael saving the day and the
    death
    that's being talked about will involve Michael
    sacrificing
    himself for his friends.

I don't see how Michael working for James would make him hated. After all if James's groups motives are shown to be something other than them being terrorists then it's quite possible that the CIA are the bad guys.

The point is that it's clear that the finale is going to end with Michael saving the day and the
    death
    that's being talked about will involve Michael
    sacrificing
    himself for his friends.

I don't see how Michael working for James would make him hated. After all if James's groups motives are shown to be something other than them being terrorists then it's quite possible that the CIA are the bad guys.

All quite plausible, but the crux of the matter is that Michael has to bring James in or they all face going back to jail. If he does bring James in, then what motivation does he have for
    sacrificing himself
    ???

EDIT: Unless it's to do with Fiona???

All quite plausible, but the crux of the matter is that Michael has to bring James in or they all face going back to jail. If he does bring James in, then what motivation does he have for
    sacrificing himself
    ???

EDIT: Unless it's to do with Fiona???

There are a few ways the rest can stay out ofprison. After all they know of numerous off the book black op missions that the CIA undertook. There's also James who has unparalled resources and was willing to demolish a 10 million dollar mansion to cover his tracks so it's not too hard to believe that he can resettle Maddie and the kid. Sam, Fi and Jesse are more then capeable of looking after themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Damn spoilers!

I want to read but won't

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yikes! :eek:
    Classic cliffhanger ending.

Cracking episode. I still don't know if Michael has switched or is playing both sides.

Really pi$$ed off that it wasn't a double episode this week. Waiting another week to see how it pans out is gonna be excruciating.

The was one hell of a set up for the finale. Really cannot wait till next as things are going to get messy. The final moments imply that Michael is broken and isn't quite sure what the truth is anymore. That gunshot that closed out the episode was bloody unexpected, now was it an actual gunshot or simply a snazzy sound effect thrown in there to heighten the tension.

The was one hell of a set up for the finale. Really cannot wait till next as things are going to get messy. The final moments imply that Michael is broken and isn't quite sure what the truth is anymore. That gunshot that closed out the episode was bloody unexpected, now was it an actual gunshot or simply a snazzy sound effect thrown in there to heighten the tension.

If it was a genuine gunshot, I reckon it came from somewhere other than Sonya's gun.

If it was a genuine gunshot, I reckon it came from somewhere other than Sonya's gun.

I have doubts that Fi would be killed off but I don't know, it would be one of the most interesting and bravest moments in a mainstream show ever. I'd certainly be up for Fi being killed off simply to see just how far off the rails it would send Michael or how far Jesse and Sam would go to take revenge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It has been said before but it's worth saying again - Burn Notice knows how to entertain and excite & it's going out in a blaze of glory. That cliffhanger was a doozey, and everything's in such a mess I'm champing at the bit to see how things are going to pan out. What's more, as fun as the show could be, it always had a rough edge, a sense that Michael & co. were always inches from disaster; I have a horrible gut feeling we're going to get a terribly bittersweet, if not plain tragic ending.

As for the shot, well I'd say it was genuine; but here's another thought. We saw Michael's head was truly scrambled, so I'm wondering if maybe he threw himself infront of the bullet. It'd be a helluva brave finale, to relegate the main character to the sidelines, dying of a gunshot wound while the supporting cast try to save the day. Any other possibility I'm thinking of seems too pat, usually involving Michael coming to his senses to save the day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent episode and it's great to see the show going out with a strong season - take note 'Dexter'! It's a testament to the show that we were kept tense throughout and are now all wondering if maybe the bullet did hit Fi or if Michael will be severely injured. Too many other shows would let us dismiss this possibility but we're all awaiting the finale.
    Worst part of next weekend is that I'm away and won't get to see it until Sunday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm guessing a shot from the stairwell (probably Sam). I don't think Alona Tal will be getting her full rate for the finale (how much would she get paid for 10 seconds out of 40 minutes?) :o

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm guessing a shot from the stairwell (probably Sam). I don't think Alona Tal will be getting her full rate for the finale (how much would she get paid for 10 seconds out of 40 minutes?) :o

She's generally not a bad actress, I've seen a few of her other outings... Broken City and a recurring role on Supernatural, only seen them after her first appearance on Burn Notice. To say I was apprehensive about anything with her in it, at the outset was a bit of an understatement. She just doesn't pull off that Russian accent at all. But it's probably the only thing I can fault her on given her performance in the others that I have stated. Not bad, but not exceptional either.

Advertisement