Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300,000 emigrated in past 4 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

ilovesleep wrote: »
    300,000 is a fierce amount of people to leave. There are approximately 450,000 people unemployed here in this country, although that figure includes all those on social welfare payments be it lone parent allowance, disabilty payment, etc.
    Depressingly enough, it doesn't even. If anything, it understates the problem.

Those 430,000 people are all unemployed, or else underemployed.

There is an extra 85,000 (April 2013) who are unemployed and in work activation programmes, for which they receive benefits.

This brings the total to 515,000.

While it is false to say that every one of the 300,000 emigrants would be on the dole if they returned, and come up with a figure of 800,000 I think it is reasonable to assume that many of those emigrants would be receiving unemployment assistance if they remained in the state.

These are some pretty horrific figures

Hardly surprising which age group is leaving, kinda expected when children's allowance and pensions are protected at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I wish my grandparents had moved out if this ****hole of a country years ago and i'd be living somewhere sunny now without being taxed to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

taxed to death.
    :eek:

I wish my grandparents had moved out if this ****hole of a country years ago and i'd be living somewhere sunny now without being taxed to death.
    What age are you?

Have your grandparents tied you up?

• Advertisement

:eek:

Well that's how it feels at the moment,:(. The whole situation is hopeless here now and looks like it's getting worse listening to the news today.

What age are you?

Have your grandparents tied you up?

Old enough to know better. My grandparents did sweet f all for me, I was just saying I wish they had emigrated years ago so I wouldn't have to now. I've just folded my business i spent over 20 years building up and am now faced with emigrating myself. I get no help what so ever from the state being self employed even though i paid prsi all my life. Once i'm gone i hope i never set foot in this politically correct tip of a place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

jjbrien wrote: »
    Id agree with you there im just back from been in Canada for 2 years. Looking at going to the states if I cant get a job here but wouldnt advise anyone to go to Canada.

I have never been but I have a couple of mates from my college days that don't want to leave Vancouver. They absolutely love it there and are trying to get citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Well that's how it feels at the moment,:(. The whole situation is hopeless here now and looks like it's getting worse listening to the news today.
    Even the grimreaper has given up on us, we truly are fooked.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Generic Athlone Guy

Everyone should emigrate to Athlone, it is a great town. We have shops. And a river.

• Advertisement

Old enough to know better. My grandparents did sweet f all for me, I was just saying I wish they had emigrated years ago so I wouldn't have to now. I've just folded my business i spent over 20 years building up and...
    Save it for the autobiography darling.

If you've been in business for 20 years you were old enough to uproot yourself and jog along long before now.

Save it for the autobiography darling.

If you've been in business for 20 years you were old enough to uproot yourself and jog along long before now.

You obviously never worked at building a business through thick and thin, maybe if you did you'd realise what a waste of time it is trying to do anything legit in this dump is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Those are the lucky ones. Better off out of this dump.
    Joyce was right when he described Ireland as the sow that ate her farrow.

Yet Joyce couldn't stop writing about Ireland.

You obviously never worked at building a business through thick and thin, maybe if you did you'd realise what a waste of time it is trying to do anything legit in this dump is.
    Not sure what that has to do with anything.

With the exception of the bankss' borrowing statistics, most people would agree that Ireland has few bureaucratic barriers to enterprise and has a favourable corporate environment.

And more importantly you're avoiding the point.

Did you just go from your grandparents being responsible to you to having been in business for 20 years?

Why didn't you leave by your own accord? Nobody was forcing you to stay nor are they now. Take some personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Everyone should emigrate to Athlone, it is a great town. We have shops. And a river.

They should do an Athlone tourism ad with that crazy look around soundtrack. That's what Ireland needs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Caliden wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0509/391211-emigration-report/

The survey doesn't mention how many of these were permanent emigrations or if they were just 1 year Oz breaks which seems to be the 'cool' thing to do these days.

I moved to Boston on a 1 year J1 graduate visa and was offered a H1 visa but turned it down. 1 year was enough as I never intended on staying but if I was offered a well paying job in the future I would definitely consider it.

I think this survey might explain why the rate of unemployment is decreasing...

typical sensationalist journalism.

yes the numbers are high, but what it doesn't tell you is how many people moved to Ireland over this period!!!its not as if 300,000 left and nobody came the other way. approx. 180,000 people moved to Ireland over this same period. factor in birth rates and the total population is still HIGHER than it has ever been in the last 100 years! to sides to every story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

AND DON'T COME BACK :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I have family - siblings, that emigrated and 2 more that are and will be leaving. They have no other option but to leave. Work is just not here.
    `

I don't blame people for leaving this kip

''work is just not here'' I hear people constantly saying that theres plenty of work and that all the unemployed people are all lazy bastards.. It's all bolix i'v been looking for work for he last while and have got nothing, I nearly got in with a security company a few weeks ago but suprise, suprise they don't have any more jobs available.

I went to Fas and they really have f.all to offer me, They just insisted that I should repeat the ecdl course even thought I only completed it a few months ago:mad: I wanted to go back to college but there was so many applying for the particular course the women told me i'd have to apply next year, So basically they are leaving me another whole year unemployed.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

With the exception of the bankss' borrowing statistics, most people would agree that Ireland has few bureaucratic barriers to enterprise and has a favourable corporate environment.

And more importantly you're avoiding the point.

Did you just go from your grandparents being responsible to you to having been in business for 20 years?

Why didn't you leave by your own accord? Nobody was forcing you to stay nor are they now. Take some personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility? Did you even read or understand what I said? As regards personal responsibility i've been taking it all my life and worked bloody hard since i was 11. Set up my own business 23 years ago employing up to 10 people at it's peak. I didn't leave because i believed there was a future in Ireland at the time and i gave it my best shot only for the the whole EU monster to collapse resulting in widespread wipeout of good businesses due to bad decisions and management of the economy by a government that promised to run the country fairly.
    My original gripe was i wished my grandparents had left this place years ago so i wouldn't have to now instead of wasting my time trying to succeed in a country whos government clearly isn't interested in an economic recovery by implementing austerity measures on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

Poor people.. What economic crisis done..

• Advertisement

Personal responsibility? Did you even read or understand what I said? As regards personal responsibility i've been taking it all my life and worked bloody hard since i was 11. Set up my own business 23 years ago employing up to 10 people at it's peak. I didn't leave because i believed there was a future in Ireland at the time and i gave it my best shot only for the the whole EU monster to collapse resulting in widespread wipeout of good businesses due to bad decisions and management of the economy by a government that promised to run the country fairly.
    My original gripe was i wished my grandparents had left this place years ago so i wouldn't have to now instead of wasting my time trying to succeed in a country whos government clearly isn't interested in an economic recovery by implementing austerity measures on it.

I didn't ask for your life story.

You said you wished your Grandparents had left so you wouldn't have to live here.

I presume you're about 40+... don't you think you should take some personal responsibility for not having done so yourself?

I didn't ask for your life story.

You said you wished your Grandparents had left so you wouldn't have to live here.

I presume you're about 40+... don't you think you should take some personal responsibility for not having done so yourself?

Look, if you don't understand what i just said i must be talking to a brick wall. I tried to explain to you about personal responsibility and working here and giving it my best shot therefore i tried and tried bloody hard, that's fairly responsible don't you think? And now i'm out of here, this country having failed me miserably, another act of responsibility. Hope that's cleared it up for you and apologies for boring you with my life story. Hope you don't fall off your high horse anytime soon.

Look, if you don't understand what i just said i must be talking to a brick wall. I tried to explain to you about personal responsibility and working here and giving it my best shot therefore i tried and tried bloody hard, that's fairly responsible don't you think? And now i'm out of here, this country having failed me miserably, another act of responsibility.
    I'm not really interested in the opinion that the "country failed you".

More the idea that you'd bring your Grandparents into what was your decision.

YOU chose to hang around, and did so when times were good. If you want to clear off, off with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

snubbleste wrote: »
    How many of them are Irish?
    According to the CSO, 87,100 emigrated in the year April 2011 to April 2012 and of those 53% (46,500) were Irish nationals

They took our immigrants!

My brother works for a Swedish company, in China, and he lives in Brazil. He doesn't consider himself an emigrant.

I hear the morning commute from Brazil to China is a curse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There is an extra 85,000 (April 2013) who are unemployed and in work activation programmes, for which they receive benefits.

This brings the total to 515,000.

Do you have a source for this 85,000 number? Could never find the exact number in those programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Its not fantastically easy down in Oz either. Easy short term yes but its a long road for the younger tradesmen/women.

There seems to be a belief that once your sponsored down here your sailing. Not true, once your sponsored your at the whim of your employer as moving jobs while sponsored is not an easy thing to pull off and under sponsorship its very easy for an employer to say "if you don't like it I have 4 people that will take that visa"....

28 days is a short time to find a new employer and a long time with the cost of living here. Having talked with and got involved with charity groups down here its not always roses and sunshine for them.

Are there some down here for a party, Hell yea, it was no different in England in the 80s/60s/70s when the paddy drank his wages. Some are in it for the long haul which is a long process.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

As someone whos moved to Australia id describe myself as a "Handsome economically displaced drifter". Once my 2 year stint is done here my current options are to move to NZ, UK, China (teaching English) or Germany to find work. I can't truely settle here due to visa issues and its the same in other countries too. Ireland needs to pull the finger out and sort itself out, id like to come back instead of constantly moving about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I left on a one year Oz break back in 2008. Came back to Ireland after it and just could not settle back into the mundanity of life in Dublin at the height of the recession, when 70% of my friends (all who held University degrees) were unemployed. So I moved to the south of Spain when I heard a lot of financial hedge funds and bookmakers were setting up in Gibraltar due to tax breaks etc. I've never looked back - I have all the comforts of home (English supermarkets, Sky TV etc) with the benefit of Spanish weather. No traffic, no pollution, no homeless, no scangers looking to borrow 50c for the bus... very little non work related stress. It's gotten to a stage where even if I was offered my dream job for double the salary back in Ireland I would find it very hard to go back.

On top of this both my brothers have emigrated to Toronto to work in the stock market and have no interest in returning 'home' any time soon. I have two younger sisters who are also now considering moving to England or further afield, as there are little opportunities in Ireland in their fields (psychology and clinical nutrition). While this does upset me to an extent that in a small number of years my family has fragmented across the globe, I would much prefer this over trying to grind my way through the recession. I generally go back at Christmas and once in the summer, but it is starting to feel like a foreign place to me now and I could not imagine going back there to live.

My point is, once this recession is over don't expect everyone to come flooding back to Ireland. Many will have set up abroad and (like me) could view the recession as a blessing in disguise. I have an English gf, my brother has a Canadian gf, and we are both really looking forward to showing them Dublin, Killarney, Galway etc when we go back for a family wedding in July. I'm proud to be born in Ireland, but you soon realise there is nothing special about living there.

gurramok wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this 85,000 number? Could never find the exact number in those programmes.
    In the annex to the live register figures.

Page 14 for April 2013

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/labourmarket/2013/lreg_apr2013.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

roryc wrote: »
    I left on a one year Oz break back in 2008. Came back to Ireland after it and just could not settle back into the mundanity of life in Dublin at the height of the recession, when 70% of my friends (all who held University degrees) were unemployed. So I moved to the south of Spain when I heard a lot of financial hedge funds and bookmakers were setting up in Gibraltar due to tax breaks etc. I've never looked back - I have all the comforts of home (English supermarkets, Sky TV etc) with the benefit of Spanish weather. No traffic, no pollution, no homeless, no scangers looking to borrow 50c for the bus... very little non work related stress. It's gotten to a stage where even if I was offered my dream job for double the salary back in Ireland I would find it very hard to go back.

On top of this both my brothers have emigrated to Toronto to work in the stock market and have no interest in returning 'home' any time soon. I have two younger sisters who are also now considering moving to England or further afield, as there are little opportunities in Ireland in their fields (psychology and clinical nutrition). While this does upset me to an extent that in a small number of years my family has fragmented across the globe, I would much prefer this over trying to grind my way through the recession. I generally go back at Christmas and once in the summer, but it is starting to feel like a foreign place to me now and I could not imagine going back there to live.

My point is, once this recession is over don't expect everyone to come flooding back to Ireland. Many will have set up abroad and (like me) could view the recession as a blessing in disguise. I have an English gf, my brother has a Canadian gf, and we are both really looking forward to showing them Dublin, Killarney, Galway etc when we go back for a family wedding in July. I'm proud to be born in Ireland, but you soon realise there is nothing special about living there.

You lost me there,

Meah enjoy spain Zero interest in it myself. I find it very special living here.

Advertisement