Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300,000 emigrated in past 4 years

Options
  • 09-05-2013 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0509/391211-emigration-report/
    Over one quarter of Irish households have seen a close family member emigrate in the last two years.

Half of those aged between 18 and 24 have considered emigrating.

Four out of ten adults aged between 25 and 34 have also considered leaving the country.

In the last four years, over 300,000 people have emigrated from Ireland, four out of ten of them were aged between 15 and 24.

The survey doesn't mention how many of these were permanent emigrations or if they were just 1 year Oz breaks which seems to be the 'cool' thing to do these days.

I moved to Boston on a 1 year J1 graduate visa and was offered a H1 visa but turned it down. 1 year was enough as I never intended on staying but if I was offered a well paying job in the future I would definitely consider it.

I think this survey might explain why the rate of unemployment is decreasing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

So are real unemployment rate is closer to 700,000? jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

this is fcuking sick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭G Power

donvito99 wrote: »

for all those keeping their head down this is what your silence is getting you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

15?
    bit young to be emigrating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

not forgetting all the unemployed people on various government schemes that takes them off the official live registar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I'd love to but I've fcuk all money or qualifications.

Even though I'm in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

G Power wrote: »
    this is fcuking sick!!

Wait...sick as in awesome?

Because that many people having the drive to make such a change is pretty impressive, I'll give you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

If we reported employment correctly and didn't engage in spin, our rate is right up there with Spain.

These "green shoots" that Brian Lenihan spoke of are a long time coming:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

SeaFields wrote: »
    not forgetting all the unemployed people on various government schemes that takes them off the official live registar.

I think that's the part I find hilarious.

The Gardai get slated for not reporting burglaries and yet the unemployment figures can be massaged by having those on jobs bridge removed from the overall unemployment figures.

Why can't they also give us the unemployment + job's bridge total ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Caliden wrote: »
    I think that's the part I find hilarious.

The Gardai get slated for not reporting burglaries and yet the unemployment figures can be massaged by having those on jobs bridge removed from the overall unemployment figures.

Why can't they also give us the unemployment + job's bridge total ?

The obvious answer is that statistics can be manipulated to suit your argument

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Wait...sick as in awesome?

Because that many people having the drive to make such a change is pretty impressive, I'll give you that.

What about those that were driven to make that change? It is desperately sad for them. I personally know too many grandparents absolutely aching for the grandchildren they had built up a close relationship with.

No matter which way you spin it, this is a sad statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The grass is rarely greener on the other side.

Id agree with you there im just back from been in Canada for 2 years. Looking at going to the states if I cant get a job here but wouldnt advise anyone to go to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How many normally emigrate in a four year period and how many of the 300,000 came back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How many of them are Irish?
    According to the CSO, 87,100 emigrated in the year April 2011 to April 2012 and of those 53% (46,500) were Irish nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope. That's an incorrect interpretation of the figures.

You assume that's 300,000 people straight off the labour force and out in the world, with no other changes.

If, for example, we also saw immigration of 300,000 in the same period, then it's a straight swap.

As it stands, the overall size of the labour force has been largely unchanged over the last 4 years, so the net migration must be quite small. There has been a population increase of ~220k people over 15 years of age, but the number of people in full time study has increase by 210k meaning that basically everyone who leaves school is going into further education rather than into the workforce. Which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We have turned a corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Those are the lucky ones. Better off out of this dump.
    Joyce was right when he described Ireland as the sow that ate her farrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

sadie06 wrote: »
    What about those that were driven to make that change?

If that were a real thing, then the country would be empty.

It's a choice to leave, just as it's a choice to stay and hope things get better, the fact that so many are capable of making the harder choice of the two is probably a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's terrible. Imagine that at no other time in the history of mankind have people left a small island economy to seek work in larger economies.

It's terrible, it really is. Where's my violin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Lads,relax.The vast majority of them will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Jesus...there's a lot of heartless sentiments being expressed. Yes for some, emigration is a bold move. For many, it's a heart breaking move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What about those that were driven to make that change? It is desperately sad for them. I personally know too many grandparents absolutely aching for the grandchildren they had built up a close relationship with.

No matter which way you spin it, this is a sad statistic.

You know grandparents who are aching for their grandchildren to come home to a place with no jobs?
    Rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Jesus...there's a lot of heartless sentiments being expressed. Yes for some, emigration is a bold move. For many, it's a heart breaking move.
    In 1850 it was a heartbreaking move, not in 2013.

I'd even argue that there is no such thing as emigration any more. Just longer commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

jjbrien wrote: »
    Id agree with you there im just back from been in Canada for 2 years. Looking at going to the states if I cant get a job here but wouldnt advise anyone to go to Canada.

Why not ? What's up with Canada ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Everyone has a choice, it's just sometimes the options are crappy.

If you go to another country purely to earn money you're on a loser from day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

but sure isn't it a lifestyle choice... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Why not ? What's up with Canada ?

If he didn't like Canada he's going to be very disappointed with Canada senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd even argue that there is no such thing as emigration any more. Just longer commutes.
    Actually that's a fair argument.

100 years ago, emigration was for life. Unless you made a fortune, you probably weren't coming back and the only contact you had with your family was by letter. If you could afford it.

Even 40 years ago, if you went further than Europe, you probably weren't coming back for a long, long time. You could call you family on the phone, but that's only of limited comfort.

These days, most people who emigrate will come home once a year, if not more. You can stay in almost constant visual and audio contact with your family (which of course isn't as good as a hug, but it helps). In addition to this, the internet and globalisation has made integration easier than ever. You can arm yourself with basically 99% of the knowledge you need to get started rather than having to land in off the boat and try to figure out what's going on.

This means that while emigration is certainly not the preferred option for most of us, the fact that it's no longer a life sentence means that it's an easier choice. If this was 1980, emigrating further than London wouldn't even be on my radar unless I was 2 days away from being homeless.
    Now I would move to the states, at least in the medium-term, if I was in slight difficulty and the right opportunity presented itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

A 73 yr old man lives 100 yards from me. 6 years ago he had 5 children and 11 grandchildren living within a few miles. They've all had to leave for work.

So telling him that there's no such thing as emigration etc. doesnt really cut it.

A great experience for someone with few ties, or no care about the ties they have, for a couple of years, or forever.

I don't feel that your line of argument makes any attempt to look at the bigger picture:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A 73 yr old man lives 100 yards from me. 6 years ago he had 5 children and 11 grandchildren living within a few miles. They've all had chose to leave for work.

fyp

Advertisement