Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Championship TV Schedule

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

and why should donegal get tv coverage over kilkenny(and im a Tipp man)who are also all ireland champions.

I suppose Football is more popular over the country than hurling. More viewers and the like. The Donegal down match will probably be a tighter affair between two physical teams. Should be a good game of ulster football.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

there is absolutely no excuse for showing a confederations cup match sat nite over the hurling qualifier

Thats not whats happening though is it? RTE have made no such decision.

As I understand it the rights for the hurling qualifier hasn't been made available to any TV station by the GAA.

Well the confederations cup game is Brazil v Italy not something like Spain V Tahiti!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Neeson wrote: »
    Also the Donegal Derry game could be quite good.

Donegal are the All Ireland Champions as well and really should have most of their games shown, and probably will. Same as Dublin the year before.

They really are a quality team with more than just Donegal people fascinated by their system.

All Dublin football games get televised. All Ireland champs or not.

All Dublin football games get televised. All Ireland champs or not.

True. It all to do with viewers I suppose. More people are interested in this Donegal system than looking at a game of hurling involving Kilkenny. Football would garner more interest in other counties over a game of hurling. People wouldn't be too happy if they were missing out on what could likely be a top quality ulster clash. They're usually hard hitting affairs too.

And then as usual they don't want to have loads of games on as it affects attendances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

a few years ago RTE showed some live games on their website which were not on tv..why did they stop doing this?

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    a few years ago RTE showed some live games on their website which were not on tv..why did they stop doing this?

Declining attendances at the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Declining attendances at the games.

they havent exactly had big crowds at the games for a few years now.

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    they havent exactly had big crowds at the games for a few years now.

Yeah. That's why the stopped a few years ago with the online streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The GAA made a decision to show less matches live, why RTE are coming in for criticism, I really don't know to be kind. An ill informed rant tbh. That's like criticising BBC N.I. for not showing the Tyrone qualifier.

BBC N.I. have stepped up their coverage but comparisons to RTE are stupid. BBC N.I. have the rights to the Ulster Championship and they do a great job, 10 years ago you'd barely have got a highlights programme on UTV or BBC, and then it was shown at 11.45 or something!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

hint to those who are giving out about games not being on telly.
    a ) get up off the armchair
    b ) go to the game that is so important for you to see

Its a pity that there's not more games available abroad to those who cannot actually attend the games, but for folks in Ireland you do have the ability to get to the game and there should be no excuses.
    AND should anyone complain about the cost, there's a raft of schemes where you can buy championship tickets through clubs for very cheap (a tenner was mentioned for a recent game), kids for free or a very small charge, season tickets and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Should be a good game of ulster football.

There is no such thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Its a pity that there's not more games available abroad to those who cannot actually attend the games, but for folks in Ireland you do have the ability to get to the game and there should be no excuses.
    AND should anyone complain about the cost, there's a raft of schemes where you can buy championship tickets through clubs for very cheap (a tenner was mentioned for a recent game), kids for free or a very small charge, season tickets and whatnot.

Here's a question in response to your wonderful hint, pal. How about those who work on Saturdays, myself included? Does that qualify as an excuse? I can't get to the game but would have access to watch it online or on a tele nearby but instead I cannot because the gaa can't fathom that some people watch games on TV for reasons other than being too lazy or stingy to fork out. Even a subscription type system linked with the RTE player would be a step forward if they'd open their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

cost or laziness has absolutely nothing to do with it in my case.i would like nothing finer than to head up to tullamore sat eve to watch what i think will be a cracking game but my club committments simply don't allow it.we are hurling championship at 5.30 in south tipp so im unable to head to tullamore.when rte have the cameras there anyway it baffles why the gaa won't allow/rte won't show this somewhere live be it online or not.how are real gaa people(club people) supposed to get to games like this when their club will be playing in and around the same time but it is very easy to fix club matches at a time so people can still see the match live if televised.i would see the cost and laziness remark as an insult to real gaa people who would travel anywhere and pay anything to see the game at a high level be it their own county or not.

Sure there do be premier league games that aren't televised. That's the way it goes. You have to suck it up, not every game will get televised.

You will see it on the Sunday game highlights for sure though so you won't miss out.

Sure there do be premier league games that aren't televised. That's the way it goes. You have to suck it up, not every game will get televised.

You will see it on the Sunday game highlights for sure though so you won't miss out.

Hardly a fair comparison given the amount of premier league games each week and the length of a football season. This is knock out hurling and they're not even making a single game available across any format? It's frustrating and is unfair to plenty of grassroots club members. So no, we shouldn't have to just suck it up.

deise_boi wrote: »
    Hardly a fair comparison given the amount of premier league games each week and the length of a football season. This is knock out hurling and they're not even making a single game available across any format? It's frustrating and is unfair to plenty of grassroots club members. So no, we shouldn't have to just suck it up.

You can listen to it on KCLR96FM.

The Offaly game will be on RTE radio and the Wexford one on Newstalk. So they are available in a format somewhere.

Yes it's also on WLR FM too, but I was referring to video formats (online streaming, tv, etc.).

There are so many games on that someone will always be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Having the games on radio does nothing for the promotion of either football or hurling. There a number of broadcasters who would love to show these games if the GAA permitted it because they receive higher ratings and thus generate more advertising revenue than other programming. It's a major own goal by the GAA to reduce the number of live televised games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

deise_boi wrote: »
    Here's a question in response to your wonderful hint, pal. How about those who work on Saturdays, myself included? Does that qualify as an excuse? I can't get to the game but would have access to watch it online or on a tele nearby but instead I cannot because the gaa can't fathom that some people watch games on TV for reasons other than being too lazy or stingy to fork out. Even a subscription type system linked with the RTE player would be a step forward if they'd open their eyes.

I agree with this 100%. I have worked in the hotel/catering/restaurant business for most of my adult life, so I rarely have weekend days off. People who work 9-5 Monday to Friday jobs really shouldn't be taking shots at those of us who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Does RTE or the GAA care about hurling at all ? The best championship in years and we are missing out on vital games. So far we have missed

1. Galway v Laois
    2. Offaly v Waterford
    3. Dublin v Kilkenny

I've now learned that we'll also be missing the Dublin v Kilkenny replay as RTE will be showing Cavan v Monaghan instead.

In total 7 out of the 8 Ulster Championship matches will be televised live on Irish television. Out of the 3 Leinster Hurling semi-finals, a big fat total of zero will be televised.

Its an utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I've now learned that we'll also be missing the Dublin v Kilkenny replay as RTE will be showing Cavan v Monaghan instead.

In total 7 out of the 8 Ulster Championship matches will be televised live on Irish television. Out of the 3 Leinster Hurling semi-finals, a big fat total of zero will be televised.

The reason all the Ulster Championship games are being shown is because BBC NI are the ones who actually film the games.

No need for RTE to send a camera-crew so they can save money to pay Ryan, Brendan, Pat, Marian and Joe's salaries.

And let's not even go near the the poor standards of camerawork on evidence by the BBC NI team.

We're getting a further 3 football matches next week. I still cannot fathom how RTE have not covered a single Leinster hurling semi-final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

They'll claim they can't show any more qualifiers, but they'll change their tune rapidly if Dublin beat KK next day and we end up with KK/Tipp in Phase 2 of the qualifiers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Does RTE or the GAA care about hurling at all ? The best championship in years and we are missing out on vital games. So far we have missed

1. Galway v Laois
    2. Offaly v Waterford
    3. Dublin v Kilkenny

Its an utter disgrace.

They have already shown Kilkenny Offaly and the first Wexford Dublin game. You do know that up until now the GAA are not making any qualifiers (which included Offaly Waterford) available to be broadcast? And that they scheduled Kilkenny Dublin at the same time as Clare Cork. Did you expect that they would both be televised simultaneously? Which leaves Galway Laois, was it that vital? Why should RTE care particularly about Leinster hurling?

What would be a disgrace is if RTE dropped the long scheduled Cavan Monaghan game in favour of an unexpected replay. If the GAA wanted to give RTE the opportunity to show the replay they could have put it on at another time.

RTE had their choice of the 3 games yesterday. They chose not to show the Leinster semi-final. Instead they decided to show the Donegal - Down game.

Two points to be made.

1. That the GAA would schedule 3 provincial semi-finals on the same Sunday.
    2. That RTE chose to broadcast the football match over the hurling. After RTE made their choice of games, the Leinster council set the match for 3.30. This was decided only after RTE made their choice of which games they were showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Whatever about not broadcasting certain games live, the GAA and TV broadcasters should at least consider making full match footage of games available online (streaming and/or download) afterwards.

All these games are being filmed so what is the point in all the footage being effectively lost forever as no one can view it?

The other thing they seem to forget is that most people who view games on TV are neutrals who wouldn't be going to the games anyway.

Imagine a YouTube or Netflix type of service for all championship games, it'd be class, and it could bring in more worldwide audiences and revenue for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Not really shocked that they are not showing the replay of Dublin and Kilkenny,the hurling championship has got a raw deal this year with live coverage
    They showed our game against Tipp in the football which was really a dead rubber of a game,all the football games have been poor viewing do far.

The hurling has been very competitive this year and has thrown up some good games,the same cannot be said for the football im afraid.

Also Psychedelic that is a great idea you have come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not really shocked that they are not showing the replay of Dublin and Kilkenny,the hurling championship has got a raw deal this year with live coverage
    They showed our game against Tipp in the football which was really a dead rubber of a game,all the football games have been poor viewing do far.

The hurling has been very competitive this year and has thrown up some good games,the same cannot be said for the football im afraid.

Also Psychedelic that is a great idea you have come up with.

I don't think it has got such a raw deal considering that it is up against fooball coverage which has a wider appeal. In Leinster they have shown Kilkenny Offaly and Wexford Dublin and by the GAA scheduling Kilkenny Dublin at the same time as Cork Clare it forced RTE to make a choice. The only other game which might have warranted coverage is Galway Laois, if you look at the list to date. Again the Dublin Wexford replay was scheduled by the GAA at the same time as they knew there was already a football game being broadcast Wicklow Meath.

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/leinster-gaa-championship-fixtures-2012/leinster-gaa-shc-2012.257.html

In Munster they have shown all three games to date and there would be no real case for showing any of the Ulster championship. And as we know there were no qualifiers made available by the GAA for broadcast. And a a general rule my opinion is if a game is already scheduled for broadcast in advance it should not be displaced by a replay. The replay can always be scheduled at another time to facilitate TV coverage.

Advertisement