Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goes on behind closed windows?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

bcmf wrote: »
    Anyone else find that behaviour a bit odd?

I do, but i cant blame them to be honest. Domestic abuse is rife, people are afraid to answer their doors for fear of intruders and other undesirable elements of society. An unpleasant side-effect is the anti-social edge it puts on people when you knock on their door.
    The most vile, heinous crimes could just as easily be going on in the houses of the most normal-looking, sound people you've met.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

lots of processes

ctrl - alt and delete will show you whats goin on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My few doors down & a bit neighbour beats his wife. O - and his children watch - and he's a guard . And no, she won't press charges & his colleagues won't do anything about it. And he does it with the lights on & windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

My few doors down & a bit neighbour beats his wife. O - and his children watch - and he's a guard . And no, she won't press charges & his colleagues won't do anything about it. And he does it with the lights on & windows open.

By the sounds of it, you have been unlucky enough to have actually witnessed that. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I saw something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

By the sounds of it, you have been unlucky enough to have actually witnessed that. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I saw something like that.

Me too. Too horny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Y - it makes my skin crawl to look at it or walk past it, knowing what is going on in there.

We should Bring in what they do in America & a violent attack on a woman or anyone, the attacker can be arrested & prosecuted regardless of who reports it - & not just have to rely on a beholden or downtrodden victim to try and find the courage to stand up to them as is the case here. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Cannabis grow house or terror cell safe house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I thought the phrase was 'what goes on behind closed doors' because closing the window makes no difference, it's whether the curtains/blinds are drawn that stops people looking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

In my case, flies trying to escape through the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

discus wrote: »
    I once found a driving license, and the address on it wasn't far from my house. I popped in on the way home from work, and knocked on the front door. Instantly all talking stopped, the telly was turned off and it was rather, weirdly silent. Sometimes I turn off my TV at home if I think I've heard the door, I'm waiting to hear if they knock again, so I assumed these were doing the same. Knocked once more, and a lady came out - pale as a ghost, nervous and agitated, looking half in fear of her life, and half ready to jump on me and drag me in to my death :confused: First I asked if this was Adam Byrnes* house, and she said no. Then I asked if she knew him, and she wouldn't give a straight answer. I reach into my jacket pocket and she calls ADAMMM as if I'm pulling out a gun or something, the idiot. He springs from the kitchen, but slows down when he see's the license in my hand. "There's your license, found it down the round".... SLAM - door to face. Would love to know what all that was about!

I've a kind of similar story to that. About one year ago, I was driving through a rural area, when a dog ran out in front of me, I came to a skidding halt, narrowly missing the dog luckily. The dog then just sat in the middle of the road oblivious to his imminent death after I drove on a bit. I got an attack of conscience so I pulled the car in and walked back to the dog to get him of the road. So after several repititions of carrying him off the road and him returning as soon as I would get back to my car, I decided to knock on the closest house. I walked up the driveway with the dog and saw four people in the living room watching TV. I rang the bell. They all immediately turned off the TV and left the room. I assumed they were coming out to me. No one turned up. Tried the bell several more times, knocked etc. No one came out.
    I then brought the dog to the house across the road from that one (the only other house for miles), knocked, a voice called out "What do ya want?". I explained through the closed door. The answer "No dogs here, go away, leave us alone".
    Anyways, I left the dog there and hit the road, bemused.
    How weird was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I remember in school a girl in my class mentioned that anytime she passed my house the curtains are always drawn. One of my brothers was draculas son. He hated sunlight coming in while he was watching telly because there was a shine on the tv. Nothing strange about it.

Watching the news today & my mam passed comment on something very similiar that so many people now days keep to themselves that by right if we see anything suspicus we should be questioning it & looking into it. I don't think so imo. I don't think you should be infringing on anybody's privacy no matter how odd something looks. You're not going to find some sort of major drama like this reported in the news.

Like on my road, there's an odd house with two old women & they don't have any electricity. They use candle light in the dark & wash their clothes in buckets outside. When walking by, you'd often hear them shoutin at each other or prayin. Very odd altogether. Where would any of that suggest that that they are keepin people hostage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

There's another oddball house on my road with two people in it. An older couple. An absolute run down kip, not kept. Years ago, the house was painted black. All black but somewhere down the line changed. Your woman is a hoarder. Keeps everything. There's school books from the 80s from when their kids went to school. The oddest thing is that they never wash. Wash clothes. Clean themselves nothing.

I don't any of that would suggest that they are doing anything unlawful. That keeping women against their will.

Your man has been known to take home prostitutes to one of his near by chalets though.

The woman of the house ended up in hospital with a huge cut on her face. Apparently she fell but my mam when out walking heard many screaming matches. Definately domestic violence there. An outsider would be very brave to poke their nose in there. I know I wouldn't because you're just going to be caught in the middle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

discus wrote: »
    Would love to know what all that was about!
    It's obvious.

The woman who answered the door was Adam's wife. She was having an affair, which Adam had only found out about the night before after he decided to follow her based on suspicions he had.

She went to a house all the way across town and after she rang the bell, a tall muscle bound guy opened the door, kissed her and invited her in. Adam waited outside but after an hour of imaging all sorts, he couldn't stand waiting any longer and went round the back to take a look. When he seen her lying on a table with the hunks hands all over her, he snapped, burst in and screamed at him to get off his wife.

The pretty boy laughed at him and so Adam took out his wallet and showed him a picture of them on their wedding day, but the guy just smugly chuckled and so Adam feeling, infuriated, humiliated punched him but it was a weak punch as Adam wasn't in his league. This infuriated Adam even more and so he punched him again but this time the beefy bronzed beefcake lost his balance, fell backwards and fatally banging his head on a set of dumbbells.

His wife screamed at him: "Adam, what have you done?? He's dead. You've killed him! You've killed him for nothing. He is just my shiatsu masseuse. I was trying to get in shape for our anniversary. How could you think we were having an affair. He's gay you fool. Ohhh Adam, what have you done".

Adam just stood there, speechless. Thoughts whizzing through his mind. Gay masseuse? Isn't shiatsu a dog? . Then Adam's wife grabbed him and said: "Lets get out of here, before someone comes and finds us here". Just before leaving, Adam doubled back and grabbed the masseuse's appointment book and off they went, making sure to stop off at shops and a few friends closer to their side of town on the way home, just in case alibis were needed down the line.

When they got home and sat down to a long sleepless night, Adam relised his Driving Licence was missing. Were could it be? Only one place he could remember having his wallet out recently and that was when showing the magic handed masseuse his wedding photo. He swore that was were he dropped it and so the couple spent the whole next day watching every news report, feeling it only a mater of time before his face popped up on the news or the police called .. just then they heard footsteps coming to the door."Just tell them I'm not here, that I left early" "But your car is outside" she whispered in a obviously now petrified state."

Slowly Adam's wife opened the door to see you standing there wearing a Britney Spears t-shirt. She wondered were you selling something? Were you a friend of the masseuse? Why were you looking at her boobs with your hand in your pocket? Then you suddenly asked was Adam home but as Adam's wife was set in motion now to deny his presence, she just said: "No" but then when your hand went deeper in your pocket and your leered at her boobs more intently, she called for Adam as she thought you were going to jump her. Adam had no option but to come to her aid now but then as you pulled your hand free from your pocket they could see the licence which they thought had condemned them to life inside with junkies and TV spongers. Without much thought, Adam grabbed the licence, slammed the door, almost as if he thought it was about to disappear before his eyes had he not. They were free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The concept of "friendly neighbours" has almost vanished from Irish society - whether it be in rural areas, in the suburbs or - especially - in an apartment block in the inner city.

People now very much keep to themselves. Although there's a strong streak of interfering nosiness among Irish people too - preoccupied with wondering what the neighbours are "getting up to" because they have little better to do with their time. Unless something appears very amiss I think that people should really mind their own business.

In cases of domestic violence/child abuse - if I was aware of it going on I would definitely report it anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Yeah I'm the same. I grew up in a very rural setting, no neighbours for a mile or so in each direction. Now, bought a house in an estate and before that rented maybe twenty different houses in various countries in various urban sprawls and I still have not gotten used to living in such close proximity to other people.
    I just don't like walking out my front door and having people in my face immediately, having to say hello to people as I do rudimentary gardening tasks outside etc, some people blanking me, some talking for flipping hours. Now don't get me wrong, I will chat away to anyone, no problem, and I will always be friendly but I don't know, I guess it just doesn't come naturally or something, beats me.

Now that is weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

ilovesleep wrote: »
    There's another oddball house on my road with two people in it. An older couple. An absolute run down kip, not kept. Years ago, the house was painted black. All black but somewhere down the line changed. Your woman is a hoarder. Keeps everything. There's school books from the 80s from when their kids went to school. The oddest thing is that they never wash. Wash clothes. Clean themselves nothing.

I don't any of that would suggest that they are doing anything unlawful. That keeping women against their will.

Your man has been known to take home prostitutes to one of his near by chalets though.

The woman of the house ended up in hospital with a huge cut on her face. Apparently she fell but my mam when out walking heard many screaming matches. Definately domestic violence there. An outsider would be very brave to poke their nose in there. I know I wouldn't because you're just going to be caught in the middle.

How do you know their prostitutes? People gossip some serious nonsense sometimes. Don't believe everything you hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

edit: wront thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A car was parked in such a way to block the road.
    Asked a resident out cutting grass did they own it and they said 'NO' pointed at the house and said 'It belongs to them. whatever the fook goes on in the house'

I know a house that every month or so, they put up a big gazeebo and dozens of car loads of africans turn up for some sort of mass or other. takes all sorts i suppose.
    So either that, or swingers. Where they naked, that could be a dead give away?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

My deaf neighbour is a bit strange, she has every blind pulled down in the house, the garden is completely overgrown, she has about 10 cats a small puppy and 2 young daughters.

2 Years ago the house went on fire and my uncle who is a fireman attended it and told us the house was in such a state he was wondering how it was still standing, there were clothes everywhere, the toilet was completely blocked and they were using one of the spare rooms as a bathroom.
    The council cleaned it back up for her and allowed her back in and guess what from the looks of the garden and the outside of the house it is back in that state again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Prossies I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Goody2Shoes77

Not really, no.
    In the world we live it's unfortunate but we have to be wary when answering the front door. Maybe the answer you got was a bit sharp and the way the door was closed in your face I'd be a bit miffed too, but I'd shrug it off and jog on. Naught I can do really, is there?
    Suspicions about all the cars there and the one blocking the driveway, well, I dunno, could be any number of reasons for that - visitors, not paying heed to where they've parked. And as for the curtains/blinds been drawn, there are many genuine reasons for that such as privacy, it doesn't necessarily point at suspicious activity. Someone I know of draws their blinds because of lupus.....

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

The story about the 3 girls found in Ohio got me thinking about something that happened today (and about some house's I see with the the wiindows blacked out/curtains down)
    I will refrain from mentioning race and area just to be on the safe side.

I had reason to call into a house today and as I was walking up the driveway I noticed that there were lot of cars in the driveway or thereabouts and all the blinds were down in the windows and over the window of the front door. I rang the doorbell and someone looked out from underneath the blind at the front door window then barely opened the front door ,which had a door chain on it, and very cage-ily looked out through the barely open door.
    I made my request and got a reply of "OK" and the door closed.

You have just been in the Twilight Zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

I would love to take pics/video with a good camera through the baxtards window and post copies all over internet and neighbourhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

All the curtains are drawn round our way, can't understand it. I'm out most evenings with my binoculars, trying to ascertain why but still haven't figured it out, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In my last house I never opened the blinds at the front of the house. Mainly because we had dodgy neighbours, no net curtains and a lot of electronics in the front rooms.

We also had no doorbell and refused to answer the door unless we were expecting someone. Mainly because we paid no TV licence.

The closed curtains also helped to hide the TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

So the general consenus is some sort of drepaved sexual goings on.
    AH has not let me down.
    Brothel, I would say.
    Now who wants the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I haven't read the thread but is the saying not "What goes on behind closed doors" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

In the Winter, condensation usually. ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Karona wrote: »
    My deaf neighbour is a bit strange, she has every blind pulled down in the house, the garden is completely overgrown, she has about 10 cats a small puppy and 2 young daughters.

2 Years ago the house went on fire and my uncle who is a fireman attended it and told us the house was in such a state he was wondering how it was still standing, there were clothes everywhere, the toilet was completely blocked and they were using one of the spare rooms as a bathroom.
    The council cleaned it back up for her and allowed her back in and guess what from the looks of the garden and the outside of the house it is back in that state again.
    Thats awful, it sounds like the woman needs help coping. It can't be a healthy environment for humans or cats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We read about people trafficking and women being forced into prostitution. So it has to be happening in houses somewhere in this country. Closed blinds/curtains and lots of cars in a driveway might mean nothing or it could mean something like that.

Advertisement