Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goes on behind closed windows?

Options
  • 07-05-2013 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

The story about the 3 girls found in Ohio got me thinking about something that happened today (and about some house's I see with the the wiindows blacked out/curtains down)
    I will refrain from mentioning race and area just to be on the safe side.

I had reason to call into a house today and as I was walking up the driveway I noticed that there were lot of cars in the driveway or thereabouts and all the blinds were down in the windows and over the window of the front door. I rang the doorbell and someone looked out from underneath the blind at the front door window then barely opened the front door ,which had a door chain on it, and very cage-ily looked out through the barely open door.
    I made my request and got a reply of "OK" and the door closed.

Anyone else find that behaviour a bit odd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Maybe they work night shifts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Very odd.

What were ya doin' creepin' up to a door requesting stuff for?

Ya big ol' creepface ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bcmf wrote: »
    The story about the 3 girls found in Ohio got me thinking about something that happened today (and about some house's I see with the the wiindows blacked out/curtains down)

I had reason to call into a house today and as I was walking up the driveway I noticed that there were lot of cars in the driveway or thereabouts and all the blinds were down in the windows and over the window of the front door. I rang the doorbell and someone looked out from underneath the blind at the front door window then barely opened the front door ,which had a door chain on it, and very cage-ily looked out through the barely open door.

Are we supposed to guess what the question was to consider if "OK" was an odd answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I rang the doorbell and someone looked out from underneath the blind at the front door window then barely opened the front door ,which had a door chain on it, and very cage-ily looked out through the barely open door.

Teddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

what was the request ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sounds like a swingers party!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Tv licence inspectors are doing the rounds again, sure half the country are in hiding now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

drugs, man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Are you selling Airtricity / Sky / someotherfückingdoortodoorsalescompany?

I avoid you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

mattjack wrote: »
    what was the request ?

A car was parked in such a way to block the road.
    Asked a resident out cutting grass did they own it and they said 'NO' pointed at the house and said 'It belongs to them. whatever the fook goes on in the house'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Maybe they thought you were the TV license inspector?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Tv licence inspectors are doing the rounds again, sure half the country are in hiding now.
    Not me.
    Are you selling Airtricity / Sky / someotherfückingdoortodoorsalescompany?

I avoid you too.
    Nope.

Not selling anything.

Maybe they thought you were the TV license inspector?
    If they thought I was TV licence man then surely they wouldnt have answered the door!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I always leave my curtains closed over when I'm not home. That's weird? :confused:

jester77 wrote: »
    Are we supposed to guess what the question was to consider if "OK" was an odd answer?

Their car was blocking the road.

I always leave my curtains closed over when I'm not home. That's weird? :confused:

And when you are home...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

A lot of masturbation I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

maybe they thought you were looking for money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Perhaps, but I don't think it's any of your concern. Sure you can point at the case in the states but that doesn't imply "nothing hide if you're lawful" mentality is healthy for society in any way.

Let them have fun in their massive orgy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Obviously an orgy
    shoulda asked could you join in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

My neighbours never and I mean never open the majority of their curtains ever. I consider that super weird. Just from a health point of view it would be fairly lethal, never mind what it must do to ones mental state. As in walking around your gaff in perpetual darkness, even when it's nice outside. They have a couple of nippers as well. It definitely is not doing them any favours. Never a curtain open so also never an ould window open to let in a bit of that fresh whats it called, eh, air, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I live in an estate but I grew up in the country. I often have my blinds/curtains closed when I'm home cos I really miss the privacy of living in the country. And I hate when people call when I'm not expecting anyone.

Makes me sound totally anti social but I spend so much time out and about that the little time I am home, I love having that time to myself with no disturbances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And when you are home...?

When ever my flag is raised. ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

Yeah I'm the same. I grew up in a very rural setting, no neighbours for a mile or so in each direction. Now, bought a house in an estate and before that rented maybe twenty different houses in various countries in various urban sprawls and I still have not gotten used to living in such close proximity to other people.
    I just don't like walking out my front door and having people in my face immediately, having to say hello to people as I do rudimentary gardening tasks outside etc, some people blanking me, some talking for flipping hours. Now don't get me wrong, I will chat away to anyone, no problem, and I will always be friendly but I don't know, I guess it just doesn't come naturally or something, beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

So what if something sinister is going on? Should we all be like tom hanks in the burbs now?

I hardly think we can label every house that looks dark with the curtains closed to be suspicious of something like in Ohio.

Im quite surprised not one news anchor i heard mentioned or made any comparison to the Fritzl case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

None of your business what's going on really, don't be that guy.

I close the curtains when I'm sexing. I open them again when I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Photophobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yeah I'm the same. I grew up in a very rural setting, no neighbours for a mile or so in each direction. Now, bought a house in an estate and before that rented maybe twenty different houses in various countries in various urban sprawls and I still have not gotten used to living in such close proximity to other people.
    I just don't like walking out my front door and having people in my face immediately, having to say hello to people as I do rudimentary gardening tasks outside etc, some people blanking me, some talking for flipping hours. Now don't get me wrong, I will chat away to anyone, no problem, and I will always be friendly but I don't know, I guess it just doesn't come naturally or something, beats me.

I am the exact same. It's one thing that I never thought of when I bought my house. I like the handiness of not living in the countryside, and I live in a really lovely area that's pretty quiet for an estate- but I'd definitely like to eventually settle back in a rural area eventually if I can afford it at all. I just love the privacy and peace there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I once found a driving license, and the address on it wasn't far from my house. I popped in on the way home from work, and knocked on the front door. Instantly all talking stopped, the telly was turned off and it was rather, weirdly silent. Sometimes I turn off my TV at home if I think I've heard the door, I'm waiting to hear if they knock again, so I assumed these were doing the same. Knocked once more, and a lady came out - pale as a ghost, nervous and agitated, looking half in fear of her life, and half ready to jump on me and drag me in to my death :confused: First I asked if this was Adam Byrnes* house, and she said no. Then I asked if she knew him, and she wouldn't give a straight answer. I reach into my jacket pocket and she calls ADAMMM as if I'm pulling out a gun or something, the idiot. He springs from the kitchen, but slows down when he see's the license in my hand. "There's your license, found it down the round".... SLAM - door to face. Would love to know what all that was about!

*not a real name!

Advertisement