Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMITHS BEST SONG

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 marsn

Yes, I got that :) I was just saying - is that the whole song? (other than Marr's fantastic guitar work of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

marsn wrote: »
    Yes, I got that :) I was just saying - is that the whole song? (other than Marr's fantastic guitar work of course)
    Yep, that's what makes it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

To be honest I would say that the most important message to be taken from that song is that some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers, this to me is the crux of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

To be honest I would say that the most important message to be taken from that song is that some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers, this to me is the crux of the issue.

Perhaps, but what made it significant at the time was the hitherto unpublished research demonstrating, after decades of controversy and centuries of speculation, that Mark Antony had indisputably said to Cleopatra that some girls were bigger than others.

Perhaps, but what made it significant at the time was the hitherto unpublished research demonstrating, after decades of controversy and centuries of speculation, that Mark Antony had indisputably said to Cleopatra that some girls were bigger than others.
    There was also a report outlining the concerns of individuals dating as far back as the Iceage right up to the 1980's, where it was revealed that both cavemen and dole stragglers alike were primarily concerned with some girls being bigger than others.

• Advertisement

Fair play lads, we could be accused of flogging a dead horse but I've had a really good chuckle:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Suffer little children

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

^^^^^^
    Well, that's the end of the chuckles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

You just haven't earned it yet baby.

That's Eamon Dunphy's favourite song too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 maynoothlizard

I Started Something I Couldn't Finish, just for the panto dame growl Morrissey does between "I grabbed you by the gilded beams" and "That's what tradition means."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

^^^^^^
    Well, that's the end of the chuckles...

"I Know It's Over" is mine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

One of my favorite songs is Reel Around the Fountain, but so many to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Dear god, how could anyone just pick one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

'Asleep'

Temaz wrote: »
    'Asleep'

It's your choice so I can't really dispute it but it's hard to believe that your favourite Smiths song is "Asleep"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

It's your choice so I can't really dispute it but it's hard to believe that your favourite Smiths song is "Asleep"

I could listen to it on repeat forever. It's just beautiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Girl afraid doesn't get enough love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Bigmouth strikes again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Asleep is one of their best for sure, lyrically, I think it is their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Back in 1986/87 someone wrote to the NME saying that their son (or brother) had committed suicide. Last song he played was Asleep.

Best way to listen to Asleep is on The Boy With The Thorn In His Side 12".

Rubber Ring segues into it perfectly.

• Advertisement

Temaz wrote: »
    I could listen to it on repeat forever. It's just beautiful.

Totally agree I absolutely adore it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

My answer to this question seems to change every 3/4 minutes for some reason. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Can I pick three? I'm gonna do it anyway; Barbarism Begins at Home, Ruffians and Pretty Girls Make Graves

How Soon Is Now? does my nut in. :o

OK I'm gonna stick Still Ill in too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

OK I'm gonna stick Still Ill in too[/QUOTE]
    That comment warrants the death penalty!

I think it's a cool song and very different from the rest of their stuff. However I don't like the way it was included on some of the Meat Is Murder reissues as track 6. Ruins the flow of the album somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me".
    Really......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I pretty much love all of their songs mentioned here, but I have to put in Back to the Old House off Hatful of Hollow. The guitar on it is gorgeous and Morrisseys voice hits something both deep and ephemeral.

I could listen to this album forever.

There is a light that never goes out is absolutely beautiful , so beautiful that we got it engraved on my little brothers headstone he was a huge Smiths fan.

'To die by your side well the pleasure, the privilege is mine'

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelAbu32

that joke isnt funny anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

'Asleep'

Ever since I read a book that referenced this song I listen to it nearly every day!

Advertisement