Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMITHS BEST SONG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What difference does it make

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

that joke isn't funny anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

1.How Soon Is Now?
    2.I Know Its Over
    3.There Is A Light...
    4.This Charming Man
    5.Rubber Ring
    6.Maries The Name/Rusholme Ruffians
    7.What Difference Does It Make?
    8.The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
    9.I want The One I Cant Have
    10.Panic

There you go....

While im at it

Meat Is Murder
    The Queen Is Dead
    The Smiths
    Strangeways

Hatful is probably my favourite.....but being a compilation Ill leave it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

1.How Soon Is Now?
    2.I Know Its Over
    3.There Is A Light...
    4.This Charming Man
    5.Rubber Ring
    6.Maries The Name/Rusholme Ruffians
    7.What Difference Does It Make?
    8.The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
    9.I want The One I Cant Have
    10.Panic

There you go....

While im at it

Meat Is Murder
    The Queen Is Dead
    The Smiths
    Strangeways

Hatful is probably my favourite.....but being a compilation Ill leave it out

Ok

Songs
    01 Suffer Little Children
    02 The Headmaster Ritual
    03 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    04 How Soon Is Now?
    05 Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
    06 William It Was Really Nothing
    07 Rubber Ring
    08 Paint A Vulgar Picture
    09 Rusholme Ruffians
    10 This Charming Man

LPs
    01 The Queen Is Dead
    02 Meat Is Murder
    03 Strangeways Here We Come
    04 The Smiths

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Interesting one, I was reading a feature in the English Independent today where musicians were asked to name the song that changed their lives. Brandon Flowers (the Killers) chose Sing your life from Morrissey, I thought it was a strange choice.

Fave album is a toss up between Strangeways and the Queen is dead. your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are fantastic solo albums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Interesting one, I was reading a feature in the English Independent today where musicians were asked to name the song that changed their lives. Brandon Flowers (the Killers) chose Sing your life from Morrissey, I thought it was a strange choice.

Fave album is a toss up between Strangeways and the Queen is dead. your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are fantastic solo albums.
    Spot on with your choices for his best solo album.Kill Uncle and Maladjusted are the only low points,although there are a few gems on both...I have a soft spot for the much maligned Southpaw Grammar-The teachers are afraid of the pupils never outstays its 11 minute welcome.

My favourite solo LPs are

1 Southpaw Grammar
    2 Vauxhall and I
    3 Your Arsenal

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    My favourite solo LPs are

1 Southpaw Grammar
    2 Vauxhall and I
    3 Your Arsenal

The one I listen to most is Beethoven is deaf, live from Paris, National Front Disco is absolutely unbelievable on it.

The one I listen to most is Beethoven is deaf, live from Paris, National Front Disco is absolutely unbelievable on it.

Very enjoyable live record. I love the We Hate ...

20 years old this week

Very enjoyable live record. I love the We Hate ...

20 years old this week

And Moz's dreadful attempts at banter with the French crowd,
    Such a little thing was great also, in fact the whole record was but for me National Front Disco really stands out,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Queen is dead for the intro alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

You Are the Quarry was pretty good like...........

queen is dead best intro ever?.............

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

I quite like Frankly Mr Shankly.

But Queen is dead is one best albums ever put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

I was always a Queen is Dead fan but I think the more Ive listened to the Smiths, Im now convinced that Meat is Murder is The Smiths at their best.

I was tempted to put THE SMITHS in caps for meat is murder. It is young musical geniuses, confident, sure of what they want to say, not giving one ****e what anyone else thinks, you are with us or against us, but we are coming, certain that everything they do in the band is great (and it was). For me, if you can bottle what the Smiths had at the time of Meat is Murder, its what every band aims for.

The Headmaster Ritual sums up the Smiths at their peak. 100% certain of where they were going. You can hear the youth and the rebellion in it. Every member of the band playing its part - the drums, the lead guitar, the lyrics. Smiths at their best.

I think Queen is Dead was more work for them and the beginning of the cracks are appearing. Anyway, envough daydreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Second half of this is close to perfection.
    Rank performance of I know it's over.
    The exquisite arpeggios from around 3:40 (i think it's Craig Gannon who's responsible for that oddly enough), the way Marr is facing Joyce towards the end, Morrissey's intensity (just the way he gets lost in the song).
    The whole thing has to be one of the best performances of probably my favourite Smiths song.

Honourable mentions to Still Ill, This night has opened my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

^Ah screw it, i'm just gonna make my my ringtone "Mother i can hear the soil falling over my head" and be done with it. :pac:
    Odd looks or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Girlfriend In A Coma. If only it was a minute or 2 longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Andrew81

Girlfriend in a coma????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

One of my favourite bands of all time. They're not everybody's cup of tea, but for those who get it they were so good. Incredibly prolific too.

There is a Light That Never Goes Out, How Soon is Now, What Difference Does it Make and That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore I would consider some of their best, but I like almost everything they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jossys_giants

Bigmouth Strikes Again / There is a Light / William.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

the one about the "darkened underpants".

Ha ha, thought it was just me who changed that lyric in my head. :D

As for my list, probably This Charming Man tops it for the sublime guitar artistry. Also like Bigmouth.., Boy With the Thorn in His Sde and What Difference Does it Make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 These Things Take Time92

Obviously 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' will always stand out alone because it's just a beautiful song. But I would have to vouch For 'I Don't Owe You Anything' but then i could also say 'You've Got Everything now because of it's sheer humorous lyrical content and the fun they had whenever they played it live or even 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes', 'Unlovable', 'Barbarism Begins At Home', Andy and Johnny Killed it on that track but i'm going to have to say 'Well I Wonder' for the simple fact it's a Hauntingly Beautiful song a real tearjerker. A Rare Rare gem that has never been played live by them or Moz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Bigmouth, Asleep, Headmaster Ritual and Please, Please, let me get .........

My 14 year old daughter loves There is a light and Please please....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Never really went for the popular ones...

shakespeares sister
    Stretch out and wait
    Cemetary gates
    Vicar in a tutu
    Frankly Mr Shankly (or the whole Queen is dead album)
    Reel around the fountain.
    Sheila take a bow..

I could go on and on.

Has any other band had such an impact in such a short time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭bullpost

For anyone who needs a fix , get along to the IFI if in Dublin next week:

http://www.ifi.ie/film/morrissey-25-live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 pico84

This Charming man - by a country mile

Frankly mister shankly - underrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

I couldn't pick a single song so I'll nominate Hatful of Hollow because I love it all... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 marsn

All of them. They are all phenomenal. Well, maybe except for Golden Lights, parts of Strangeways... and am I missing some salient point in the lyrics of Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others? But it would be a tragedy to reduce The Smiths to a best song.

"People cannot trivialise The Smiths and people cannot trivialise anything we do."
    -MORRISSEY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

marsn wrote: »
    ... and am I missing some salient point in the lyrics of Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others?
    He's pointing out that some girls are bigger than others. It's meant to be humourous.

Advertisement