Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buried without coffin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I want my body to be chopped up and fed to pigs, and for the same pigs to be slaughtered and feasted upon by my family and loved ones.

I have eaten so much bacon in my lifetime that this is the epitome of the circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

stevieob wrote: »
    I'm also for cremation.

But I have heard (don't know how true it is) that you still have to get a coffin for cremation. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

Afaik the coffin isn't burned with the body, the person is removed from the coffin and is usually wrapped in plastic before being placed in a cardboard container.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

smash wrote: »
    Wasn't this the excuse used when the American's produced no evidence that Osama Bin Laden had actually been killed.

No, I think they didnt want images of him being circulated portraying him as a martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

why? cant ya be waked while lying on a table or in a bed?

also muslims dont have wakes for their dead like we do.... muslims are usually buried on the day they die.

There's something very final about being placed in a coffin and putting the lid on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I can't see many people here wrapping their loved ones in a sheet and throwing them in a hole in the ground, I know I wouldn't no matter how expensive coffins are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

when I die I want my body to be chained upright to a rock like cu cullan/an abandoned mountain bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

kneemos wrote: »
    There's something very final about being placed in a coffin and putting the lid on.

this. Because dying isn't final enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

HondaSami wrote: »
    I can't see many people here wrapping their loved ones in a sheet and throwing them in a hole in the ground, I know I wouldn't no matter how expensive coffins are.
    what if they cost €1,000,000,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

After I die, I want vampire teeth surgically implanted, and then a stake thrust through my chest cavity and into my heart. Then, to complete the effect, I'll need a coffin wrapped in heavy chains.

Just think...in a few hundred years someone might dig me up and it'll be a great laugh.

So yeah...I still want a coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Certiain austere religious orders (the Cistercians I'm thinkin of) traditionally bury their members without a coffin as a sign of poverty and humility. I think Cistercians are buried on a plank covered in a white cloth - no coffin.

I don't know if this happens in Ireland though - or if it's allowed. I presume those monasteries have their own private burial plots. But just because it's a private plot doesn't mean the laws don't apply(?) Does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I want to be compressed into a beautiful precious gem.

That, or the burnt at sea in a Viking longship thing.

Ye can keep yer wooden boxes dropped in a muddy hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Heard on Newstalk this morning that from next month it will be legal to be buried in Ireland without a coffin.
    Definately a way to cut down on funeral expenses. Who needs a coffin anyway.
    Next we should do away with the hearse and be allowed to arrive in a trailer or boot of the car.

This originates from a request from the Muslim community. Take a trip to the Middle East and try asking where the nearest Sunday mass is .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The State should build and maintain a number of crematoriums and not leave it to the private sector. They provide and maintain cemeteries. So why not?
    It would work out cheaper and more beneficial than buying and maintaining land for cemeteries.

what if they cost €1,000,000,000?

Don't be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was to be buried without a coffin, wrapped in seaweed, to aid biodegradability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Are there such things as themed funerals? I'd love to be floated out to sea in a canoe and have an archer light me on fire from 100 yards like in Game of Thrones the other week! :D Coffins me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

This originates from a request from the Muslim community. Take a trip to the Middle East and try asking where the nearest Sunday mass is .

The nearest church I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm starting my new business Coffin Dodgers Ltd. today.

Rental reuseable coffins.

The body is wrapped & placed on a board. A coffin top is placed on this & clicks hold of the board.

When the coffin is lowered, the top releases & when everyone has left the graveside, the coffin top is lifted off leaving the wrapped body on the board to be buried.

€199.99 per funeral rental (+ VAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

stevieob wrote: »
    I'm also for cremation.

But I have heard (don't know how true it is) that you still have to get a coffin for cremation. Doesn't make sense to me at all.
    Afaik the coffin isn't burned with the body, the person is removed from the coffin and is usually wrapped in plastic before being placed in a cardboard container.

ah so they just flog it then. lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's essentially what Muslims do, and usually on the same or next day.

Traditions vary.

And besides you can buy cardboard coffins so they really shouldn't be too expensive, unless someone is gouging grievers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I want to be chucked on a great big pyre, none of this silly box lark.

No Mass.... savages!

lol...
    Plenty of Catholic Saints were buried without coffins. It's not just a Muslim thing.

That's essentially what Muslims do, and usually on the same or next day.

Traditions vary.

And besides you can buy cardboard coffins so they really shouldn't be too expensive, unless someone is gouging grievers.

I know but I can't see Irish people doing that tbh.

I think those cardboard ones are more expensive or same price.

I know but I can't see Irish people doing that tbh.
    except for... irish muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I'm gonna need my coffin as I intend to be buried with a bottle of whiskey, my MP3 player and a fully loaded handgun.

Cremation all the way for me. At least that way, I won't come back as a zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Put me anywhere or do anything with me, even dress me up and live with me and pretend I'm your girlfriend to all your mates if that's floats your boat. I don't give a damn as I'm planning on being dead and thus not conscious.

I already pretend you're my girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cremation all the way for me. At least that way, I won't come back as a zombie.

Same here. And being thrown into the big oven without a coffin saves energy as well, I assume ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think his could be a good idea actually. I used to hang out in a funeral home a few years back because my friends family were in the business and remember he had a leaking coffin at one stage. I forget the reasons behind I am but the stench was something else. I think they've had a few occasions of similar situations.
    I can't imagine it was too nice for the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

I wouldn't mind to be part of this

http://www.itv.com/news/2012-09-01/preserved-human-body-exhibition-to-open-in-liverpool-city-centre/

It would cost alot more than a coffin I think to be done up like this but my family could charge a hefty admission fee to see me.

Advertisement