Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed March to DC on 4th July

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Yes, like keeping a knife away from the dinner table...you know, because blades can't kill people.

Are you really comparing a dinner knife to a gun?
    You must be taking the p*ss?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Yes, like keeping a knife away from the dinner table...you know, because blades can't kill people.

Do you keep your sharp knives away from your kids? I do. Common sense like. You know, that thing you're ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

MadsL wrote: »
    Did I argue with any of that? However, you have not made an argument for banning cars - nor guns.

Ah, assumptions, the last bastion of reasoned argument. Try not to let your prejudices show so much and you might be able to make a reasoned argument.

By the way, guns are legal in Ireland.

Also - feckin hard to hit a quail with a bow and arrow...

Your argument is that I'm making assumptions and talking about positions you haven't taken? Isn't that exactly what you did in your very first reply to me? Way to completely invalidate anything you say!

There is absolutely nothing reasonable about the gun debate. Having them widely available is fcking stupid for blindingly obvious reasons and the number of deaths per year in any given country goes down when they're made illegal. Guns are for killing people and animals. They aren't a toy and if you really need an AR-15 to protect your home then you're already f*cked and the gun won't help you.

And as for the quail - are you hunting for sport or for food? If for sport then surely you'd want to give the quail a sporting chance? It's just too easy otherwise. Guns do that - make killing easy. Which brings us back to why they're f*cking stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What would you like to happen now? Personally I think the parents are morons. That has little to do wih the availability of firearms and more to do with the intelligence of the parents.

We could start talking about banning cars if you like based on the incidents of road deaths...we have had dangerous items in society for many years now.

Cars have uses apart from killing people. Guns, with the exception of hunting weapons, do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Why do people argue with gun owners/apologists? There's no point, they reject the premise of the argument to begin with (that guns are instruments created only to cause harm and/or death) so will never listen to reason.

If they can't accept that basic fact, you're not going to be able to get through to them. And you can't even show them up for being idiots... because the fact that they think guns should be legally owned by regular citizens already ticks that box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Promac wrote: »
    I said f*ck all about who might be killing who - you assumed that all by your self because the reality is it doesn't matter what I say: you already have your argument and you're just looking for someone to aim it at.

But on the subject of legally owned guns: It was a legally owned gun that killed a 2 year old the other day. The owner of the gun fired it. The owner being a 5 year old. This kid's death doesn't represent the majority of gun deaths in the US but it doesn't matter.

A 2 year old was shot and killed by her 5 year old brother who owned a gun legally. The fact that that is even possible is a tragedy and a mockery of civilisation.

A 5 year old was killed by a legally owned fireplace in Ireland recently. How could we possibly leave this happen? We are obviously not a civilised country if we allow such a thing to happen. I for one am in favour of fireplace control.
    Promac wrote: »
    Civilised people keep the dangerous items away from 5 year olds - they don't train them to use them. For the same reason you don't let 5 year olds drive cars. Or apply for a license to drive cars. Cars are designed and trained for with ultimate safety in mind - guns are designed to kill things. These are not things that are similar.

Despite that they kill far more people than guns do. American gun owners must be pretty sh*t at shooting if they can't kill more people than the oh so safe automobile.
    And it doesn't matter how many crappy old tired arguments you drag out - the simple fact remains that the only reason you and people like you are arguing about guns is because you think guns are cool. You're not concerned with defending your home. You're most likely not out hunting every weekend (and probably not at all) and even if you were that much into hunting, you'd probably get more enjoyment and personal satisfaction out of doing it with a bow or a knife or a fishing rod.

Be a fcking man about it and just admit that you're only interested in guns because Rambo gave you a boner when you were 8.

To summarise those two paragraphs: can't reason; won't reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's an interesting one that very liberal people are so anti guns. Freedom my back side though.
    I don't think I'll see in my lifetime proper gun control in the states. There would be riots if they tried to take away their precious guns. Old dogs and new tricks I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

A 5 year old was killed by a legally owned fireplace in Ireland recently. How could we possibly leave this happen? We are obviously not a civilised country if we allow such a thing to happen. I for one am in favour of fireplace control.

Wow, I didn't know that 5 year old had been given the fireplace as a birthday present with no training as to how to use it. Crazy how amazingly similar those two stories are.

humanji wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know that 5 year old had been given the fireplace as a birthday present with no training as to how to use it. Crazy how amazingly similar those two stories are.

Yes they very similar because they are the same thing: freak accidents that don't happen very often. That's why the shooting got so much news coverage, because things like that don't happen very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

errlloyd wrote: »
    Dear Lord,

I've never been a very religious man, in fact sometimes I've questioned your existence. But I do believe, and through that belief I have never asked for anything. But today Lord, please, for you, me and the rest of humanity, send something, anything. An Earthquake, small asteroid, you flooded half the world to help Noah. You don't have to kill all of them, just hit them enough so they know even god hates them.

Yours'

Rational Humanity

Are you talking about 'gays' or 'guns' because that has a 'Westboro Baptist Church' vibe to it.

• Advertisement

Yes they very similar because they are the same thing: freak accidents that don't happen very often. That's why the shooting got so much news coverage, because things like that don't happen very often.
    Nope, in one case a child had been given a dangerous weapon and an accident occurred as a result of it. Whether you're for gun control or not, there is not a reason in the world to give a child a gun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think he was more so making the point that there's some responsibility required of the parents. You can't just leave kids on their own around or with some things.

The issue regarding that kid who killed his sister is the parents not teaching responsible ownership. And not keeping it locked up when they aren't out to use it for target practise or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Are you talking about 'gays' or 'guns' because that has a 'Westboro Baptist Church' vibe to it.

Lol :D

Gay and Guns, now that's an interesting combination.
    Can you imagine asking the US president how he feels about gays and guns :)
    Republican answer "I feel they are too dangerous to humanity. And I loooove guns yeehaw."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

No, they must be hysterical scary scary things, instead of things that farmers use to kill vermin and protect themselves from intruders in rural locations.

Ah yes, that's why they need the legal right to carry guns openly in towns :confused: To fight all the big scary rats

Nope, in one case a child had been given a dangerous weapon and an accident occurred as a result of it. Whether you're for gun control or not, there is not a reason in the world to give a child a gun.

There are reasons to give a child a gun. Guns can be used in many recreational activities. And like anything else, if you want to get good at something it is a good idea to start young.

Leaving a child with a loaded gun unsupervised is an entirely different matter. It is a case against bad parenting not a case against kids using guns.

Leaving a child unsupervised with a gun is nothing like a child having a fireplace collapse on them. One is parental negligence and one is a badly built fireplace. One is an argument not to give children guns and to enforce proper training for gun use, and the other is an argument against cowboy builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

donvito99 wrote: »
    I take issue with this, but that would be going off topic.

I don't think discussing `****ing idiots' in a thread about an armed march for gun rights is off topic. Post away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

"Stick your hand on the stove and see if it is hot" is the phrase that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sure as heck, there's a foot-tappin' tabaccy-chewin' chart-toppin' country & western song just waiting to be written about this.

If it wasn't for the fact that these guys probably couldn't spell "Pennsylvania Avenue", or "Washington" or "DC".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

yet another gun debate circle jerk yay:D

lets be rational no one in their right mind can suggest that American gun laws don't need to be made stricter but guns don't need to be banned outright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol.. I can see this backfiring in a big way.

All it'll take is some nutter wanting to make a point. Fire off a few rounds during the march and watch chaos ensue as people panic and shoot each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some folk'll never eat a skunk
    but then again, some folk'll...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Sure as heck, there's a foot-tappin' tabaccy-chewin' chart-toppin' country & western song just waiting to be written about this.

If it wasn't for the fact that these guys probably couldn't spell "Pennsylvania Avenue", or "Washington" or "DC".

I'm just trying to figure out what rhymes with Pennsylvania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If one of those events could wipe out them too that would be fine with most of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm just trying to figure out what rhymes with Pennsylvania.

Gunmania?

I'll git maaaa banjeeeo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Could we at least wait and see if it degenerates into a violent yet darkly hilarious bloodbath before all this drawing of lines? It'll at least make you all look like your minds weren't already made up for or against gun control.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Why are you under some kind of illusion that legally held guns are the ones that are doing the killing in America? The line between truth and parody is absurdly blurred in this thread - most people posting here have no clue about how American gunowners actually behave - but then it is easier to laugh than to think.

That's a generalist statement. Please don't make these sort of biased comments on this paddy forum without adding "in my opinion" before. THanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No, they must be hysterical scary scary things, instead of things that farmers use to kill vermin and protect themselves from intruders in rural locations.

Tools should not be 'normal' things, where would that end, people owning drills and the like.

A drill is a tool. It's function is to facilitate putting holes in things with a mind towards construction. It can be used to kill, but that is not it's function.....much like a spoon.
    We could start talking about banning cars if you like based on the incidents of road deaths...we have had dangerous items in society for many years now.

A car is a tool for transport. That's its function. To facilitate transport. It can be used to kill but that is not it's function....much like a fork.

This where you argument falls down. Guns are weapons. Their only function is to kill. That it was they are designed to do. When a man shoots up a school, he is using the weapon in it's primary function....to kill.

They are tools of war and have no place in society. Much like explosives, mines, tanks, and other weapons of war. They should be controlled and the general public should not and need not have access to them.

Comparing guns to cars and drills is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We can only hope they turn up and try their usual nonsense... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They are tools of war and have no place in society

Some guns are and some aren't. A 20 bore side by side shotgun loaded with 9-shot cartridges is no more a "tool of war" than anything else. It is in fact a small female/youth orientated shotgun which would be used primarily for clay pigeons or the shooting of birds. Likewise a .22 rifle is primarily used to shoot small vermin or food animals.

Guns are an integral part of hunting and getting rid of pests in rural areas. They are not all designed for harming other human beings. Comparing a farmer's shotgun with a weapon of war is like comparing a Ford Ka with a battle tank.

Similarly guns are already a part of Irish society but you don't hear any hassle or iminent societal collapse due to those owning them being responsible and law-abiding.

Advertisement