Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 10....Not for the Irish? [Mod note: post #58]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

draffodx wrote: »
    In my opinion an iOS/Android pissing contest is what the thread has become and it serves no purpose, its simple, both have their positives and negatives, if your looking to buy one or the other do your research on which one best suits you and forget about listening to peoples opinions on which is best because only your own research can tell you which one will suit you best.

How is it a "pissing contest" exactly? If you have people giving opinions on devices they have used, then people are going to have opinions on which one they prefer or think is better. Is that not the nature of a discussion, people giving opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    How is it a "pissing contest" exactly? If you have people giving opinions on devices they have used, then people are going to have opinions on which one they prefer or think is better. Is that not the nature of a discussion, people giving opinions?

The thread is littered with anti iOS and anti Android nonsense, people are attacking the opposite to what they use/prefer rather than genuinely giving a review of/and/or reasons why they prefer one or the other.

There are some genuinely helpful posts but the thread is littered with iOS and Android bashing which serves no purpose to anyone, without the bashing it's a valid thread and I agree with you but the bashing should stop or it'll constantly go round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

basiragi wrote: »
    I cant claim to know exactly all that you've mention there but I agree with you 100% and I've always said it im getting an android again it has to be pure as in a nexus. I really dislike Samsung the s3 has 1Gb of Ram and its almost impossible to free up 300 mb with a tiny amount of apps downloaded..i believe the SG4 with 2Gb of ram already has 1 used before you do anything..

You've given me plenty of food for thought ... cheers

hmmm, could you possibly be confusing flash memory capacity with RAM? When you download apps they take up your flash memory capacity which nowadays begins at 8gb with the likes of the GS3 and 4 offering 16gb minimum. I have a nearly 3 year old Desire HD from HTC which came with 1.5gb flash memory and 768mb RAM. I rarely run low on flash memory and I have loads of apps installed.

I don't have an S3 though so I can't comment for sure, just reading your post it sounded like you had mixed up the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

grimm2005 wrote: »
    hmmm, could you possibly be confusing flash memory capacity with RAM? When you download apps they take up your flash memory capacity which nowadays begins at 8gb with the likes of the GS3 and 4 offering 16gb minimum. I have a nearly 3 year old Desire HD from HTC which came with 1.5gb flash memory and 768mb RAM. I rarely run low on flash memory and I have loads of apps installed.

I don't have an S3 though so I can't comment for sure, just reading your post it sounded like you had mixed up the two?
    I get you and yes I think I am.. however apart from that the ram is packed full..mostly with preinstalled touchwiz crap. Incidentally my friend has the HTC one X which seems to run a lot better with similar spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

basiragi wrote: »
    I cant claim to know exactly all that you've mention there but I agree with you 100% and I've always said it im getting an android again it has to be pure as in a nexus. I really dislike Samsung the s3 has 1Gb of Ram and its almost impossible to free up 300 mb with a tiny amount of apps downloaded..i believe the SG4 with 2Gb of ram already has 1 used before you do anything..

You've given me plenty of food for thought ... cheers

This whole thing about freeing up RAM in Android is just complete tosh, the OS will take the RAM it needs, and dump stuff if need be.

Memory management in Android is not like in Windows, Android is Linux, you don't need to have RAM waiting there, free, hangin around, as in doing nothing.

Apps in background don't use CPU time, they are frozen, and can be re-activated without needing to be re-launched from slower storage, being in RAM is a good thing, especially if you don't need the RAM for anything else!!!

So, filling your available with Apps you are or will be using is also a good thing....the OS will dump if it needs, based on priorities.

However, there are some badly written Apps, which don't comply and these should be hunted down and destroyed, in a manner of speaking.

See here for some info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

This whole thing about freeing up RAM in Android is just complete tosh, the OS will take the RAM it needs, and dump stuff if need be.

Memory management in Android is not like in Windows, Android is Linux, you don't need to have RAM waiting there, free, hangin around, as in doing nothing.

Apps in background don't use CPU time, they are frozen, and can be re-activated without needing to be re-launched from slower storage, being in RAM is a good thing, especially if you don't need the RAM for anything else!!!

So, filling your available with Apps you are or will be using is also a good thing....the OS will dump if it needs, based on priorities.

However, there are some badly written Apps, which don't comply and these should be hunted down and destroyed, in a manner of speaking.

See here for some info.
    That's very true but you still shouldn't be too close to the edge and it's quite worrying that the S3's Samsung stock firmware is using so much, just what is it that they're keeping cached? The Watchdog app is a good example of one I tried the other day to monitor CPU cycles per app. Maybe on the S3 it could be used to see if there's anything Samsung has done incorrectly to have their background apps (most likely junk you won't use) taking up CPU cycles? Who knows, maybe there's method to their madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

Could always just get the Nexus 10 from amazon, if not wanting to go through the play store methods? The original question was where can it be bought right? A little more expensive...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-Tablet-Android-Jellybean/dp/B00A99NMMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367926435&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+10
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Google-Nexus-10-BLACK/dp/B00AXDU5XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367926435&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+10

What is the difference in these 2, are they the same but with different hard drives ( 32 vs 16 ) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

What is the difference in these 2, are they the same but with different hard drives ( 32 vs 16 ) ?

That's it. All Nexus 10 are made by Samsung. The only differences between those two is the size of the storage and the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I see the last post on this thread was in June, any improvement in the availability of the Nexus since,
    Amazon are looking for around fifty quid p & p !

Here is the current best price (plus Parcel Motel charge or contact the seller for Irish delivery charge). HUKD info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Here is the current best price (plus Parcel Motel charge or contact the seller for Irish delivery charge). HUKD info

Thats a nice price.

Be careful if you're buying a 32GB model though.

That seller is selling the 32GB for £399.99,
    where as its only £319.78 on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Bought the 16GB model off them ( pixel ) that time, only £15 p & p, so pleased on the price and delivery,
    it arrived via UPS the other day, a lovely piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Any idea on when the 4.4 release will be on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

is there a place to buy this tab in Dublin?
    or amazon is the only solution?

i find it bizarre that you can not buy this in any store :S

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

There is no actual stores or walk in shops that stock the N10 (None that I know of). You can of course get it on Amazon as well as Expansys. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think there is a new one made by HTC to be announced in July, I'd hold out if I was you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fieldog wrote: »
    I think there is a new one made by HTC to be announced in July, I'd hold out if I was you...

Likely to be an 8 inch screen, replacing the nexus 7 line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

Likely to be an 8 inch screen, replacing the nexus 7 line.

There is web rumours that the whole nexus line is going to be discontinued, hope its not true.

Advertisement