Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 10....Not for the Irish? [Mod note: post #58]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jack888 wrote: »
    Yes, that broad opinionated statement is not going to start a pissing fight.
    Fine. But at least consider what people are saying, on both sides of the fence. All you've done is show contempt towards anyone who tries to convince you that you need to examine the facts and opinions expressed. You came asking for help and you have gotten it, and pretty much rejected it in the process. What did you expect, posting on an Android board? If you were leaning towards an Android device and hopped over to the Apple community forum, you'd see the other side of the coin.

Take it or leave it but please don't be so ungrateful towards people offering their viewpoints. Nobody has attempted to force you. I've backed up my end with facts and with paths to further research the claims made. You seem to have a major problem with reading and I bet you looked at my posts and saw they were maybe a tad long and decided you weren't interested, too much like an "essay." You mustn't have fond memories of school, I take it? If I am opinionated, at least I spend the time trying to show my path to realize said opinions. But in the end, strongly-worded advice does not equate to someone holding a gun to your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sonics2k wrote: »
    what?

Play virtually matches Apples App store today, with very small differences.

Yeah if your planning buying everything from apples store on the spot fine.

If you have a library of stored music and video Android is better cause you can pick up an external memory card and expand that memory.

Long story short, jack888. You can't buy Nexus devices here because Google sell these devices at cost or at a loss and it only serves them to sell the devices in countries where they have managed to acquire adequate content/streaming rights. It's not laziness, as another poster accused. It's perfectly understandable that they do limit the regions of sale, given the lack of profits gained. What business wouldn't?

If you want a Nexus 10 for the price advertised by Google, you'll have to follow the steps in my post (link in my sig) or attempt to order it directly from Google (there's a sticky about that on this board by MiCrO). If that's too much of a hassle for you, then the door with the Nexus 10 behind it is closed and you should just forget about it and move on. Tough luck! If you're too closed-minded to even so much as consider any other Android devices, then get the iPad. Or don't get anything. It's up to you! You've gotten what you came for. I offer my sincerest of apologies if it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OP you could do worse than tip into Tesco and pick up one of these 8in beauties for €139, great tablet for the money:

I only went in for a loaf of bread! :pac:

Ah no, honestly OP I don't much like touch devices at all, but I got it for my eight year old who because it was about the same price as a kindle but does a hell of a lot more than just downloading a few e-books for him. He's able to do math and languages on it too.

I find it useful the odd time for just reviewing documents and spreadsheets but I wouldn't consider it for doing any serious work, and if you've had your hands on a 10in ipad, they're a beast ergonomically speaking, whereas the 7in just feels like a phablet, the 8in is "just right".

EDIT: The reviewer in that video mentions how some of the app icons on the home screen cannot be moved or removed. The reviewer should've checked for updates first and would've seen that Archos had released an update both for this and for microphone audio problems in skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

To be honest, Im not interested in buying anywhere I have to read an essay to figure out how to buy.
    I just want to go to a respectable known page and buy the device.

So I guess apple is my only option between the two.

I bought a Nexus 10 a while back using the Flubit/Parcelmotel route, and it couldnt have gone smoother. I highly recommend the Nexus 10, its an awesome tablet. The screen has to be seen to be believed.

• Advertisement

[hijack]
    Android users, head on over to here and show some love by voting in the poll:
    http://computingforever.com/2013/05/04/your-favorite-mobile-os/

Of course, in the interest of fair play, iOS users and others should do the same.

If you're not interested in voting, you should visit just to read the article (that's what she said!).
    [/hijack]

Normal service shall resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

DECEIFER, thanks for backing up the claim so well i have to admit I don't have a google tablet and I do have an iPad..however I have had google phones and I base my current dislike for android on them.. I've had Samsung Gs3 , Sony experia, and a lesser samsung( not worth mentioning) the problem i always found with them is the Ram being overloaded constantly with running apps, most of which cannot be moved to the SD card..perhaps this is down to the manufacturer preloading the phones i don't know but its given me bad taste for android... I'm currently using a WP8 and all I can say is the difference is phenomenal..it even spots malware on twitter I haven't had one strange dm in my inbox since..

also it hasn't lagged once or needed to be rebooted something that the s3 needed regular..

again apologies if its totally different to tablets but as i said it turned me away from Android

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Google - lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

DECEiFER wrote: »
    [hijack]
    Android users, head on over to here and show some love by voting in the poll:
    http://computingforever.com/2013/05/04/your-favorite-mobile-os/

Of course, in the interest of fair play, iOS users and others should do the same.

If you're not interested in voting, you should visit just to read the article (that's what she said!).
    [/hijack]

Normal service shall resume.

None of those links in your Flubit post to Googleplay store are working now. Have they changed something?

If you cant get the links to the Nexus 10 Google Play store to work, just install Tunnelbear and set it to UK. You get 500mb per month free, which is plenty to look around on the Google Play store for stuff.

• Advertisement

basiragi wrote: »
    DECEIFER, thanks for backing up the claim so well i have to admit I don't have a google tablet and I do have an iPad..however I have had google phones and I base my current dislike for android on them.. I've had Samsung Gs3 , Sony experia, and a lesser samsung( not worth mentioning) the problem i always found with them is the Ram being overloaded constantly with running apps, most of which cannot be moved to the SD card..perhaps this is down to the manufacturer preloading the phones i don't know but its given me bad taste for android... I'm currently using a WP8 and all I can say is the difference is phenomenal..it even spots malware on twitter I haven't had one strange dm in my inbox since..

also it hasn't lagged once or needed to be rebooted something that the s3 needed regular..

again apologies if its totally different to tablets but as i said it turned me away from Android
    A fair comment and completely understandable. I too cannot speak for each manufacturer's because they "skin" their Android implementations and that of course does affect overall performance. I tend to stick with stock Android for that reason. I have done so with all my phones by flashing custom firmwares based on the stock and now that I own a Nexus 4, I get it without having to resort to flashing. I can't stand TouchWiz, for example. I owned a Galaxy S and immediately flashed it. Just having root permissions on its own wasn't enough.

Having a Nexus 4 loaded with 2GB of RAM, I'm not likely to be longing to free up resources anytime soon, until the cost of each app increases in time, as they tend to do with time and evolution. In 2 years, 2GB of RAM will be either average or below par. The same is true of 1GB of RAM on Apple and Windows devices today. I'm not sure if 1GB cuts it well on stock Android as good as it does on Windows, as I went from owning a device with 512MB to 2GB. I've played around with Android devices that have 1GB and I've always been impressed by their performance, even those with TouchWiz, but also knowing that if they were flashed, it would only improve.

Windows Phone intrigues me. I'm a Windows 8 user and have been primarily since it went RTM in August, as I have a Microsoft DreamSpark Premium account. I spend 99% of my time on the desktop. Haha, maybe it's the mouse and keyboard awkwardness when using "Metro" and I just haven't been sold on the interface just yet. But it does intrigue me nonetheless, it's unique and plenty of people have given it credit (on touch devices - it's been blasted when used with our archaic typing and pointing devices). For me, as archaic as the keyboard and mouse may be, I won't be surrendering to touch 100% for my desktop anytime in the near future. I'm stubborn enough on that front to be the last man standing!
    Google - lazy.
    In comparison to whom? Apple? Ha!
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    None of those links in your Flubit post to Googleplay store are working now. Have they changed something?
    As PropJoe10 said, you need to fool Google into thinking you're in the UK to get to the UK Play Store. That's how I was able to get all the links and prices for the post. You can use TunnelBear as suggested. It's simple to get going, there's no expertise involved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Fine. But at least consider what people are saying, on both sides of the fence. All you've done is show contempt towards anyone who tries to convince you that you need to examine the facts and opinions expressed. You came asking for help and you have gotten it, and pretty much rejected it in the process. What did you expect, posting on an Android board? If you were leaning towards an Android device and hopped over to the Apple community forum, you'd see the other side of the coin.

Take it or leave it but please don't be so ungrateful towards people offering their viewpoints. Nobody has attempted to force you. I've backed up my end with facts and with paths to further research the claims made. You seem to have a major problem with reading and I bet you looked at my posts and saw they were maybe a tad long and decided you weren't interested, too much like an "essay." You mustn't have fond memories of school, I take it? If I am opinionated, at least I spend the time trying to show my path to realize said opinions. But in the end, strongly-worded advice does not equate to someone holding a gun to your head.

I was only pointing out that its ironic you say you dont want the thread to turn into a pissing fight.....when you are the very one making silly posts.

Anyway, lets stop this conversation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

I cant claim to know exactly all that you've mention there but I agree with you 100% and I've always said it im getting an android again it has to be pure as in a nexus. I really dislike Samsung the s3 has 1Gb of Ram and its almost impossible to free up 300 mb with a tiny amount of apps downloaded..i believe the SG4 with 2Gb of ram already has 1 used before you do anything..

You've given me plenty of food for thought ... cheers

Thanks every for the input everyone.

I only started the thread looking for info on where to buy the Nexus10. Its a pity we got the usual breed of fanatics in to try and turn thread into android v ipad....not what I wanted. I can see merits in both devices.

Anyway, Ive decided not to go for any of these google devices, only because I dont want to buy something that the makers dont even seem eager to sell.
    Will probably go with the new ipad.

To be fair, some of your posts have been pretty dismissive, people have only been trying to offer their opinion and point you in the direction you need to go if you want to buy an excellent Android device. But anyway, go in whichever direction you want to go in, its a free country at the end of the day. Both Google and Apple devices are excellent and you'll enjoy whichever one you wish to buy.

basiragi wrote: »
    i believe the SG4 with 2Gb of ram already has 1 used before you do anything..

You've given me plenty of food for thought ... cheers
    1GB used? If that's true, whoa. Just whoa. You won't find that happening on the stock firmware, I can promise you that. :eek:

I was only pointing out that its ironic you say you dont want the thread to turn into a pissing fight.....when you are the very one making silly posts.

Anyway, lets stop this conversation now.
    I didn't say that. :)

This is what I said:
    But all we've been trying to do here is offer opposing viewpoints, not to just start a Google vs. Apple pissing fight (which is always entertaining, I must admit), but to also give you additional perspective into your options and why you might want to take a look at those options more closely.

But, I stand by my posts, except for the one I made a significant edit to as I deemed it might have been ill-mannered for the occasion at the time, so in my regret, I took out two paragraphs that might have caused offence. Everything else, though, is less about a pissing contest and more about serving the purpose of this thread.

I only started the thread looking for info on where to buy the Nexus10. Its a pity we got the usual breed of fanatics in to try and turn thread into android v ipad....not what I wanted. I can see merits in both devices.

Anyway, Ive decided not to go for any of these google devices, only because I dont want to buy something that the makers dont even seem eager to sell.
    It's the Android Apocalypse! Us "fanatics" are bread to do anything for survival!

You asked for Nexus 10 buying advice, then the iPad was thrown in nearly straight away by another poster, so it was discussed and I believe it became appropriate once you replied to the first poster that mentioned it. There's no need to get so pissed off because I, and possibly others, decided to make some very valid points that were well backed up.

Finally, just to remind you, Google don't sell their devices here because it's not yet feasible to. Legally speaking they don't have much content/streaming rights in Ireland at the moment. They're practically giving these Nexus devices away. They're worth about double the price when compared to the rest of the market. So to take a stand against their unwillingness to sell them here because you feel like it's impolite or lazy, I believe you've got the wrong idea about it.

Anyways, best of luck with your iPad. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

So, ya got rid??

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nexus-4-16gb-new-with-receipt/3022874

How bad was it, seriously, and what prompted you to buy in the first place??

It wasn't that bad. Just some things annoyed me. For instance i was on a weekend
    away last weekend and was co-ordinating 11 people. Do you thing the Nexus 4 would
    oblige me by sending a group txt to everybody? Absolutely not! Of the 11 group txt
    messages i sent (on nine or ten occasions over the weekend), each time 2 to 3 people
    actually received them. Meaning that people were late not showing up etc and it
    created major headaches. I never had this problem with any iOS device.

I bought it because i had read a lot online about it and heard it was great.
    Screen was nice but i found many things more complicated to do than iOS.
    Messaging being only one of them.

projectgtr wrote: »
    Silly iSheep go troll somewhere else ;)

Having had more Android Devices and iOS devices than you can shake a stick at
    i hardly believe i'm trolling. More giving words of wisdom to save somebody else
    falling into the same trap i did.

Because i mentioned iOS in the Android forum i received an infraction, so thats
    all i'll say on the matter. Silly android fans, cant even mention iOS around here!

Hope you make the right choice OP! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Google - lazy.

iOS is virtually unchanged since it's initial release, something which most Apple users hope will change come iOS7.

Android has come in leaps and bounds since it's first release, has incredible customization, freedom and frankly looks a tonne better than iOS does.

Hell, people will jailbreak and willingly void their warrantees just to get a smidgen of the customization that Android has, such as widgets and even changing the default keyboard to something better.

And let's not forget what happened when Apple kicked Google off iOS6, people were not happy at all.

This post was ironically posted from an iPhone 5.

Because i mentioned iOS in the Android forum i received an infraction, so thats
    all i'll say on the matter. Silly android fans, cant even mention iOS around here!
    Jesus! That's not a fan thing. I reckon they put the rule there to prevent such "pissing contests" from occurring. Still, a simple warning for you to heed would have been appropriate instead of an infraction which stays on your "file" for life, I believe. It's crap that you got the punishment. So far, I haven't heard anything from the mods. Sorry to hear that.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    iOS is virtually unchanged since it's initial release, something which most Apple users hope will change come iOS7.

Android has come in leaps and bounds since it's first release, has incredible customization, freedom and frankly looks a tonne better than iOS does.

Hell, people will jailbreak and willingly void their warrantees just to get a smidgen of the customization that Android has, such as widgets and even changing the default keyboard to something better.

And let's not forget what happened when Apple kicked Google off iOS6, people were not happy at all.

This post was ironically posted from an iPhone 5.

I wasn't actually claiming that Google is (are?) lazy, I was paraphrasing the OP who seems to think that the only reason the Nexus 10 isn't available in Ireland is laziness! :pac:

• Advertisement

Guys, since this thread and my decision has somewhat turned into ipad v nexus 10....you might find this video interesting.

Gives the positive and negatives of each device in a fair unbiased way. One thing I see a lot, is people on forums basing their opinions on what they own.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCPVT8SLOY
    Ive had a look through reviews from proper review sites and I have yet to find one that gives the edge to the Nexus, which is interesting. Although all rate both devices highly.

Added with the fact that we have to jump through hoops to get the Nexus10, Nexus is looking like a harder product to invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

not meaning to stir it but cnet are said to be biased

Guys, since this thread and my decision has somewhat turned into ipad v nexus 10....you might find this video interesting.

Gives the positive and negatives of each device in a fair unbiased way. One thing I see a lot, is people on forums basing their opinions on what they own.
    Ive had a look through reviews from proper review sites and I have yet to find one that gives the edge to the Nexus, which is interesting. Although all rate both devices highly.

Added with the fact that we have to jump through hoops to get the Nexus10, Nexus is looking like a harder product to invest in.

Its really not hard at all. Using Flubit/Parcel Motel was actually one of the easiest and best shopping experiences I've had in recent times. Great delivery timeframe and excellent seller communications. I personally went for the Nexus 10 because I prefer Android over iOS, and I also like the look of Ubuntu Tablet which I'll be able to put onto the Nexus 10 when its released, if I choose to. iPads are also excellent, its just a matter of taste for me.

It's down personal preference, you can't ask anybody else for anything other than opinion, and point scoring as in that video is completely ..eh.. pointless.

Try them out, testing what you ultimately intend to use it for, and decide based on that. Ignore specs and ratings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

... One thing I see a lot, is people on forums basing their opinions on what they own....

I own a nexus 4, nexus 10 and the latest iPhone and iPad.
    (Work prefers Apple products in their unjail-broken state for security purposes on the network).

If we're basing this on what we own and use daily, I hands down prefer the nexus products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

If only Android was available on other tablets.

I had hassle with the Google UK store. Set up a proxy, said to ship to Parcel Motel and it still knew I was in Ireland (probably due to my credit card).
    I messed around with a new account but I gave up after an hour or so and bought a Note 10 from Amazon. Pricey but still cheaper than an iPad.

I thought the pen was a gimmick but now if I had to buy a new tablet and even if the Nexus was available I'd go for the Note again.
    I also splashed out €20 to get a microSD card to bring me up to 48GB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

no more ipad/nexus bashing - this is the only warning

MiCr0 wrote: »
    no more ipad/nexus bashing - this is the only warning

I didnt realise that anyone was "bashing" anything. There's nothing wrong with a healthy discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TBH jack do what you want, Its your money afterall.

People gave their opinion.

heres mine, I dont like handing over my hard earned cash for expensive tosh just because it has a marketers dream badge printed on the rear and does nothing more or better than the competition. I prefer to weight up all options. But price is heavily weighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Could always just get the Nexus 10 from amazon, if not wanting to go through the play store methods? The original question was where can it be bought right? A little more expensive...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-Tablet-Android-Jellybean/dp/B00A99NMMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367926435&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+10
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Google-Nexus-10-BLACK/dp/B00AXDU5XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367926435&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+10

Advertisement