Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 10....Not for the Irish? [Mod note: post #58]

Options
  • 06-05-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Im buying a tablet. Has to be one of the big ones.

I was thinking of getting the Nexus 10 over the ipad. But where do I buy one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Android tablet will break your heart, just buy an ipad and be done with it!

If you have your heart set on one you will have to try Amazon or the UK
    Google Play store and parcel motel it to the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Oh, is android buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

jack888 wrote: »
    Oh, is android buggy?

Nope. I got a Nexus 7 for about e150, much better than ipad.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nope. I got a Nexus 7 for about e150, much better than ipad.

So, where did you buy?

Very vague comment by that guy. Android with break your heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh, is android buggy?

No it's not, and on a Nexus 10 or 7 it certainly isn't.

An iPad is nothing more than a more expensive tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

So, where did you buy?

Very vague comment by that guy. Android with break your heart...

Off the UK store. The Irish store isn't very well supported. Either get a mate in the UK to buy for you, or use parcel motel.

You can also buy them in various highstreet shops, but may not be as cheap.

Note that there ARE cheap brand-x android tablets that are rubbish. However the Nexus 7 and 10 are premium products, don't let the cheap price make you think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

I was thinking of getting the Nexus 10 over the ipad. But where do I buy one of these?

Check out this thread:
    Nexus Devices: Ordering Process via Flubit

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

So, ya got rid??

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/nexus-4-16gb-new-with-receipt/3022874

How bad was it, seriously, and what prompted you to buy in the first place??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

My work phone is an iPhone, my personal phone and tablet are android (both samsung), which I got after the work iPhone (which I'm free to use personally but couldn't be bothered to). I wouldn't be interested in Apple devices for personal use at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Silly iSheep go troll somewhere else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Android today is literally years ahead of iOS in terms of features. There was a time when Android was known as Lagdroid and when it looked like it was designed by a programmer, but things have changed, especially since 2011 when Ice Cream Sandwich came out. Apple users that don't like Android are just used to the simplistic dictatorship of iOS. But, most people that have used Android in recent years that attempt iOS now will not be impressed.

http://gizmodo.com/5933636/an-openly-biased-review-of-android-jelly-bean-by-an-iphone-lover
    http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely
    (two different authors/"iPhone lovers")

Seems odd that you cant just buy online somewhere.

Might just go with apple instead.

Seems odd that you cant just buy online somewhere.

Might just go with apple instead.
    You can't?! :eek:
    Jilm wrote: »

DECEiFER wrote: »
    You can't?! :eek:

To be honest, Im not interested in buying anywhere I have to read an essay to figure out how to buy.
    I just want to go to a respectable known page and buy the device.

So I guess apple is my only option between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

To be honest, Im not interested in buying anywhere I have to read an essay to figure out how to buy.

It is really very straight forward to buy from flubit. The 'essay' is an invaluable guide to the process that tells you step by step what to do and what to expect. When you distill it down though, you'll see that it is not complicated, rather just a bit different.

Apple is the easier option as you can just walk in and buy your tablet or order online in a 'more conventional' manner, but for a tiny bit more effort you can have a waaaaaaaay better device, and the extra effort really is minimal.

[Removed this section of my post as it might come across the wrong way - lemansky made the point perfectly]
    lemansky wrote: »
    Apple is the easier option as you can just walk in and buy your tablet or order online in a 'more conventional' manner, but for a tiny bit more effort you can have a waaaaaaaay better device, and the extra effort really is minimal.
    Not to mention at about half the price. It's not often you get a product that's superior in nearly every way and 50%+ cheaper. It's like the Mobile Gods are smiling down on Android users for choosing the right path...err...OS. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Can't be bothered reading a few simple instructions to save a lot of money = typical Apple customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Can't be bothered reading a few simple instructions to save a lot of money = typical Apple customer.

Sorry but I wouldn't bother bending over arse ways to get something in here that Google doesn't want to sell.

If watching movies and media is important to you Android might be more useful, app choice is way better on the iPad.

Plus residual value is going to remain on the iPad for years after it has become obsolete

If your still undecided look at the Surface in PC World. Nice little tablet while retaining some PC functionality if that is important. Worst app store, but most like a PC device functionality especially if you get the snap on keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

genuinely interested to see on what spec the android is waaaay better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yep, sounds like you want an iPad.

...but do try a Galaxy tab/note too, even if just to rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

basiragi wrote: »

Genuinely interested in starting a pissing contest you mean?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's not as though it's just Nexus or iPad. There are dozens of good tablets you can buy with a couple of clicks or in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 basiragi

Genuinely interested in starting a pissing contest you mean?
    such a bold claim just would like him to back it up he may prefer the android as many do but you cannot claim its waaay better..in fact for most people that just want the simplicity of a tablet without being too knowledgeable of the technical side the iPad is waay better (just my opinion)

I don't buy it.
    genuinely
    waaaay better..

But if I'm wrong, you can see just how iOS 6 stacks up against Jelly Bean on YouTube. You'll find plenty of videos and of course, there are those that once preferred iOS to Android that have become disappointed in iOS and openly admit that Android has taken the lead.
    such a bold claim just would like him to back it up he may prefer the android as many do but you cannot claim its waaay better..in fact for most people that just want the simplicity of a tablet without being too knowledgeable of the technical side the iPad is waay better (just my opinion)
    That's easy. It's a common misconception that Android is for the technically savvy, or more affectionately known as "nerds." I know people that don't know a CPU from a knitting needle. They still manage perfectly fine on Android. It's as easy to use as a mobile OS gets, with the added benefits of extreme customization for the nerds. But even if you're just looking for something simple, there are easy ways to make Android work for you through customization that are not possible on iOS. Don't even bother mentioning jailbreaking because then some of us might be inclined to mention rooting. If you want to keep it simple, then just look at what's possible on Android vs. iOS for the average user at stock level.

iOS 7 is being announced soon, probably at WWDC 2013 (June 10). But don't forget, Android is all set for an update, too, probably to be announced at Google I/O 2013 (May 15th).

Here's some videos that I've picked out. I haven't watched the first one throughout, but I've seen the second and third. Remember, if you think I've only picked out ones that validate my argument, then by all means head over to YouTube and throw in whatever search terms you want to find whatever videos you want.

Android Vs iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw&hd=1

Three Reasons Why: Android Is Better Than iOS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAGjvdNRltA&hd=1

iOS vs Android: A Google user's POV!:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp___W5vDAs&hd=1
    (I find this one quite interesting but you might consider it biased towards Google services integration, where Android is the undisputed king)

So, that's the bold statement now backed up with sufficient points. How about you, why is iOS better? The App Store? Please. That's a tired argument and it's becoming less and less valid as each day passes. Got anything else besides that?

Also, don't forget this post and those links to two "iPhone Lovers" experiences with switching to Android in recent times:
    Android today is literally years ahead of iOS in terms of features. There was a time when Android was known as Lagdroid and when it looked like it was designed by a programmer, but things have changed, especially since 2011 when Ice Cream Sandwich came out. Apple users that don't like Android are just used to the simplistic dictatorship of iOS. But, most people that have used Android in recent years that attempt iOS now will not be impressed.

http://gizmodo.com/5933636/an-openly-biased-review-of-android-jelly-bean-by-an-iphone-lover
    http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely
    (two different authors/"iPhone lovers")

Not to mention at about half the price. It's not often you get a product that's superior in nearly every way and 50%+ cheaper.

Im sorry but isnt that just your opinion, maybe not the best idea to state it like its a fact.
    To be honest, if both devices were priced the same I would go for the Ipad, because I feel its superior.

But at the current prices I am leaning towards the Nexus. I just couldnt be bothered jumping through hoops to get something a big company is too lazy to make easily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If watching movies and media is important to you Android might be more useful, app choice is way better on the iPad.

what?

Play virtually matches Apples App store today, with very small differences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

why do you need a big one

my advice buy a laptop first,tablets are only a fad,i have both,touch screens are useless to type on,even with a pen,

tablets not enough computing power,i will keep the tablet for traveling,a tablet is only as good as the apps on it,tablets are good for watching movies,traveling,small doses of browsing the web,you will find 10 hard to keep holding

as it gets heavy,if you want a computer buy a computer,what you can do on your tablet you can do on your smart phone

Im sorry but isnt that just your opinion, maybe not the best idea to state it like its a fact.
    To be honest, if both devices were priced the same I would go for the Ipad, because I feel its superior.

But at the current prices I am leaning towards the Nexus. I just couldnt be bothered jumping through hoops to get something a big company is too lazy to make easily available.
    It may be an opinion but the fact is that Android allows the user to do more, and as I mentioned, you don't need to be a nerd. Aesthetically, you cannot change iOS. You can so so so easily change your Android GUI to suit your pleasures.

As for the current iPad vs. the Nexus 10. I don't know much about the Nexus 10, except for that it has the same CPU (Cortex-A15) and a slightly inferior GPU (Mali-T604 vs. PowerVR SGX554), but I do know that there are a wealth of Android tablets out there that could destroy the iPad in one CPU cycle that still cost less. Add that to a clearly superior OS, such as Android...it's simple math. Obviously it's your choice what you want to own and it'll ultimately come down to your preferences. But all we've been trying to do here is offer opposing viewpoints, not to just start a Google vs. Apple pissing fight (which is always entertaining, I must admit), but to also give you additional perspective into your options and why you might want to take a look at those options more closely.

• Advertisement

It's not often you get a product that's superior in nearly every way and 50%+ cheaper.
    But all we've been trying to do here is offer opposing viewpoints, not to just start a Google vs. Apple pissing fight

Yes, that broad opinionated statement is not going to start a pissing fight.

Advertisement