Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brady keeps excommunication threat hanging over abortion TDs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK you can't get kicked out. There is nothing you can do that will lead them to revoke your Catholicism. Even excommunication just means that you can't receive communion, which is supposed to be a terrible punishment, apparently*.

*Maybe if they used Mint Viscounts instead of those tasteless wafers it'd be more of a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

kylith wrote:
    *Maybe if they used Mint Viscounts instead of those tasteless wafers it'd be more of a punishment.

Or caramel digestives, I'd regain my faith in an instant

freyners wrote: »

Blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cabaal wrote: »
    It is a serious question and I'm very tempted try it,

If I write to the Vatican and brady outlining my full support for abortion legislation and the government bringing it in will they kick me out of the church?
    Could this be used as another loop hole after they closed the whole countmeout.ie thing.

What exactly do you have to do to get kicked out?, clearly we know what won't do it (sexual abuse etc). If you directly abuse the pope in a letter and refuse to go to confession? :pac:

Doesn't make a difference. Excommunicated pretty much means you're a bad Catholic, rather than no longer a Catholic. You can't receive communion etc but you're still expected to go to mass and stuff.

So even if you were to get excommunicated, nothing would really change than how you are now. You'd still be counted as a member.

At present: You don't consider yourself to be a Catholic, but they do because you were baptised into the Church.
    After excommunication: You don't consider yourself to be a Catholic, but they do because you were baptised into the Church, but now they know you don't consider yourself to be a Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

What happens if you decide to convert to another religion? Is there any way the Catholic Church will accept that you've left?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kylith wrote: »
    AFAIK you can't get kicked out. There is nothing you can do that will lead them to revoke your Catholicism. Even excommunication just means that you can't receive communion, which is supposed to be a terrible punishment, apparently*.

Meh, I'm not pushy, them not wanting me on any level is still a good thing.

So what to I have to do to get excommunicated? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

vitani wrote: »
    What happens if you decide to convert to another religion? Is there any way the Catholic Church will accept that you've left?

That's a point. You could convert to Satanism, go to mass in your best black clobber, bedecked with upside down pentagrams and see does the priest still give you communion.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Meh, I'm not pushy, them not wanting me on any level is still a good thing.

So what to I have to do to get excommunicated? :D
    I think that desecrating the Host or assaulting a bishop should do it. Stick some communion wafers up your bum, then give your local Bish a good kicking.
    Obliq wrote: »
    That's a point. You could convert to Satanism, go to mass in your best black clobber, bedecked with upside down pentagrams and see does the priest still give you communion.

Ah, they'd probably just see you as a Catholic Satanist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

vitani wrote: »

Only reason to have an atheist 'church' but then we'd have to listen to all those numpties saying 'see, I knew it was a religion.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Obliq wrote: »
    That's a point. You could convert to Satanism, go to mass in your best black clobber, bedecked with upside down pentagrams ...

... and your mammy would still tick "Catholic" for you on the census.

• Advertisement

swampgas wrote: »
    ... and your mammy would still tick "Catholic" for you on the census.

My Mammy has been getting me to fill out the census for her since I was 15 - even though I moved out of 'home' when I was 18 - wonder if she knows I decided that as she is pro-choice, pro-Gay rights, pro-divorce I took it upon myself to stop ticking 'Catholic' for her some time around 1982...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

all those who dont believe in the most holy caramelly disgestivey goodness shall spend eternal damnation stuck to eating only rich teas with no tea to dunk them in

all those who dont believe in the most holy caramelly disgestivey goodness shall spend eternal damnation stuck to eating only rich teas with no tea to dunk them in

I'm a diabetic so it's carmamelly poison as far as I am concerned.

I don't like tea or, funny as it turns out since these were the bikkies that kicked this whole thing off, M&S fancy bikkies with stem ginger.

I have been giving them to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »

I don't like tea ...............

What sort of fell, depraved creature are you????????

Nodin wrote: »
    What sort of fell, depraved creature are you????????

Threat to Humanity I am and proud of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Threat to Humanity I am and proud of it!

Being a threat to humanity I'd be ok with....but spurning tay.....

Nodin wrote: »
    Being a threat to humanity I'd be ok with....but spurning tay.....

It was one of the few things I could drink while getting chemo that didn't make me sick - had a surfeit of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Belief's are fine, and I don't think it would be right to encourage anyone away from those beliefs as long as they're not hurting/destroying anyones lives. .

So you wouldn't have a problem with David Quinn running the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If he did the job instead of giving in to his massive pile of neuroses and prejudices, he could probably do it.

But he can't because he's thrown himself behind such ideals body, mind and soul (hurr!), so I think it's safe to say he just couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

eviltwin wrote: »
    What's even better is the Catholic rags had full page ads out advertising it for ages even offering transport options for anyone who wasn't in a position to make it there themselves.

No need. They all had bus passes already.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Belief's are fine, and I don't think it would be right to encourage anyone away from those beliefs as long as they're not hurting/destroying anyones lives.

But that is what religion inevitably does.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Boston Cardinal Sean O'Malley has said he will boycott the Boston College graduation because Taoiseach Enda Kenny will be addressing the graduates.

Cardinal O'Malley said he will not attend because he says the Taoiseach is "aggressively promoting abortion legislation".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0510/391628-cardinal-omalley-enda-kenny/

I wonder who has been doing the one sided whispering in this cardinals ear that he somehow thinks that Enda would want abortion in Ireland? This just keeps getting better:pac:

muppeteer wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0510/391628-cardinal-omalley-enda-kenny/

I wonder who has been doing the one sided whispering in this cardinals ear that he somehow thinks that Enda would want abortion in Ireland? This just keeps getting better:pac:

Indeed.

Enda's religious beliefs and Enda's democratic beliefs have come into direct conflict.

So far the democratic beliefs are winning - but barely and he is sticking to the letter of what is required.

As I said before, I am not an admirer of Enda but I do think the RC has seriously miscalculated when they began this campaign targeting him and calling him 'the abortion Taoiseach' etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kenny is in that uncomfortable position where he really doesn't want to legislate but has to. Other legislators should bear that in mind when they are trying to take the moral high ground and resist the party whip (notice how they didn't whinge about the whip when it was used to vote down Clare Daly's bill...).

Galvasean wrote: »
    Kenny is in that uncomfortable position where he really doesn't want to legislate but has to. Other legislators should bear that in mind when they are trying to take the moral high ground and resist the party whip (notice how they didn't whinge about the whip when it was used to vote down Clare Daly's bill...).

It is ironic that as Kenny struggles to implement legislation he doesn't want and is intent on it being as restrictive as possible while at the same time fulfilling the bare essentials as required by the Supreme Court/ECHR rulings and refernda he is being denigrated by those whose position he seems to personally support.

This denigration is perceived by many voters as 'bullying' on the part of the RCC which, in light of the abuse scandals, is backfiring on them in a big way.

PR fail by the RCC due to lack of understand that we are no longer in McQuaid's Ireland and the majority of Irish people will no longer accept politicos kow-towing to the Church on civil matters.

Advertisement