Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brady keeps excommunication threat hanging over abortion TDs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The organisers hoped for 10,000 people. They got about 4,000. One of Ireland's 'holiest' places, too, you'd imagine they came from all over the country. And it was less than half of what they'd hoped.

That's a wonderful pair of numbers, don't you think? They're falling flat on their collective arse and dying out. Slowly but surely, piece by whiny, self-righteous piece.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Daveaherne wrote: »
    So cardinal sean brady says he would like to excommunicate TD,s who support abortion, because its evil. This coming from the man who coved up child rape.
    It's a wonder he's not calling for those who protected child rapists to be excommunicated.

Oh, hang on, I've just thought of a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    The organisers hoped for 10,000 people. They got about 4,000. One of Ireland's 'holiest' places, too, you'd imagine they came from all over the country. And it was less than half of what they'd hoped.

That's a wonderful pair of numbers, don't you think? They're falling flat on their collective arse and dying out. Slowly but surely, piece by whiny, self-righteous piece.

According to RTE's reporter it was 5,500 according to Knock's event management. So, yeah, still a far cry short of the 10,000, but just in case we get accusations of inaccuracies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Yet when someone tries to leave the Catholic Church themself, they're not allowed.

If I write to Brady expressing support for abortion, do you think he'd kick me out??

Has the Irish Catholic Church ever excommunicated any convicted Criminals ever for serial murders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Jernal wrote: »
    Has the Irish Catholic Church ever excommunicated any convicted Criminals ever for serial murders?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_excommunicated_by_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

"All the Catholics and legislators who promoted the abortion law in Uruguay." - There's a precident, anyway.

Meant to add, not that I can see! (about the serial murderers)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I'm fairly sure that those fighting on the Anti-treaty side in the Civil War were excommunicated.......

I seem to have equated Dev with a criminal serial killer - whoops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Maybe if he makes all the TDs swear an oath of secrecy........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

TBH I hope he does, and then when the public show their indifference to the subject maybe they will finally stop paying attention to the largest hypocrite in Ireland and the church he represents

Obliq wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_excommunicated_by_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

"All the Catholics and legislators who promoted the abortion law in Uruguay." - There's a precident, anyway.

Meant to add, not that I can see! (about the serial murderers)

While it's not relevant to politicians, another case from that list really jumped out at me:

"The Archbishop of Olinda and Recife in Brazil, Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, announced the automatic excommunication of the mother and doctors of a nine-year-old girl who had an abortion after being raped and impregnated by her stepfather."

I have no words. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So he wants to protect children before they are born?

But once there born he will protect the priests that raped and molested them!

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This guy is an absolute Godsend (:pac:) to pro choice, every time he opens his mouth he seems to make himself, his organization and pro lifers more irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Flying Fox wrote: »
    While it's not relevant to politicians, another case from that list really jumped out at me:

"The Archbishop of Olinda and Recife in Brazil, Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, announced the automatic excommunication of the mother and doctors of a nine-year-old girl who had an abortion after being raped and impregnated by her stepfather."

I have no words. :(
    Quite an old one that. If I remember correctly the 9 hear old was actually pregnant with twins. Obviously the church took no action against the stepfather / rapist.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sarky wrote: »

What's even better is the Catholic rags had full page ads out advertising it for ages even offering transport options for anyone who wasn't in a position to make it there themselves. Even when they went out of their way to help people go they still only got that kind of turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Perhaps we could 'excommunicate' i.e. remove citizenship, from the protectors of child-abusers within the Catholic church in Ireland?

Really, I would love to see an irreparable and permanent falling-out between our government/politicians, and the Catholic church, such that our standard response to any attempts at interference in the running of our country is a collective "fúck off".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

This makes it more and more clear that the Church's hysterical opposition to this bill is part of a power play. The lives of foetuses are secondary to the church trying to flex its muscles and get the country to obey it on something, anything, after having been ignored on every major issue in the last thirty years.

They are so used to being on the losing side on homosexuality, divorce, contraception, sex before marriage, that they have gotten desperate now and just need a win on abortion, and are resorting to any means possible.

It kind of goes hand in hand with my theory that the religious aren't really that bothered about embryos and foetuses. The real fact is that abortion is an issue that they feel they can assert some kind of moral superiority over their opponents. It plays into one of the basic desires of the religious, namely to feel themselves better people than unbelievers, to be able to look down on those outside their viewpoint.

The abortion position of the church and Iona et al is about power. We are better than you, is their belief, and you need to do as we say. Finally they have found an issue that they might have some support on. They are just desperate to be obeyed, and the abortion debate is simply a tool to impose their will on the rest of us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

"We're trying to persuade them not to introduce it. In addition to doing good, we also have to oppose evil and to oppose a law that would take away fundamental rights from people. It should be opposed."

That must be a new rule then :rolleyes:

But when it comes down to it, it's up to the people to support their TDs publicly in-case the church does try to pull any sort of stunt. It's easy to scoff at a 50% turn out, but I'd guess politically anyone would be happier with the support of 5000 old aged people who will almost certainly vote than 10000 younger people who might not be so bothered later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Interesting.

He's clearly just trying to ensure the maximum availability of victims. How anyone can listen to this prick defeats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm so stealing that quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Fr. Tony Flannery - an interestingly astute and inclusive article. http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-tony-flannery-catholic-church-abortion-897260-May2013/ - as seen on "Doctors for Choice" facebook.

"Finally, I would say to them that it is not appropriate to attack the bill in such a forthright fashion without stating clearly their alternative position, taking into account the actual situation that the legislators face.

In this debate, it is essential to remember that the teaching of the Catholic Church on abortion still holds. It calls on us to respect the life of the unborn child. However, many people in this country no longer follow the teaching of the Catholic Church and it is the task of our politicians to legislate for all citizens."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its interesting to see how an organisation that places so much value on the virtues of forgiveness and freewill is quick to resort to a form of emotional blackmail by threatening its members with expulsion for following their conscsience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Obliq wrote: »
    Fr. Tony Flannery - an interestingly astute and inclusive article. http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-tony-flannery-catholic-church-abortion-897260-May2013/ - as seen on "Doctors for Choice" facebook.

"Finally, I would say to them that it is not appropriate to attack the bill in such a forthright fashion without stating clearly their alternative position, taking into account the actual situation that the legislators face.

In this debate, it is essential to remember that the teaching of the Catholic Church on abortion still holds. It calls on us to respect the life of the unborn child. However, many people in this country no longer follow the teaching of the Catholic Church and it is the task of our politicians to legislate for all citizens."

Well.. he's doing religion wrong but he's certainly doing humanity right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Gbear wrote: »
    Well.. he's doing religion wrong but he's certainly doing humanity right.

That figures - the church have been trying to shut him up for years. I'd say he's close to getting defrocked (or whatever the term is). Seems to happen to anyone who's even vaguely in touch with the modern world and their flock.

Go Fr. Tony!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So the church can kick people out for not following their teachings yet if you disagree with them you can't willing leave? pffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

krudler wrote: »
    So the church can kick people out for not following their teachings yet if you disagree with them you can't willing leave? pffft

They've never cared if you believe, only that you obey.

krudler wrote: »

Trying to seek logic in the Church's actions is like trying the see logic behind an LSD hallucination. It probably exists but the mental gymnastics required will likely destroy your brain first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Trying to seek logic in the Church's actions is like trying the see logic behind an LSD hallucination. It probably exists but the mental gymnastics required will likely destroy your brain first.

They've moved the goalposts so much at this point it's just laughable, straw clutching and threatening people with excommunication? sounds pretty desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

This guy is an absolute Godsend (:pac:) to pro choice, every time he opens his mouth he seems to make himself, his organization and pro lifers more irrelevant.
    He does, but perhaps we also need to remember that the proposed legislation is deeply inadequate. It probably ticks all the boxes needed to be able to say "there, we legislated for the X Case". But it's still short of a practical solution, even if we want to have a quite limited abortion regime.

I basically agree with you. The upshot from all this might be the sight of Irish politicians, for the first time, dismissing Church edicts as irrelevant. However, give that the political class sees abortion as a no-win issue, they'll welcome the possibility of getting this inadequate legislation through while basking in the glow that comes from being able to say "did you see how we told the Bishop to feck off".

I hate to make it a conspiracy theory, but that outcome would actually suit both Church and politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Flier wrote: »
    That figures - the church have been trying to shut him up for years. I'd say he's close to getting defrocked (or whatever the term is). Seems to happen to anyone who's even vaguely in touch with the modern world and their flock.

Go Fr. Tony!!

28095756.jpg

• Advertisement

That looks like a Minecraft reference. I don't get Minecraft.:(

Edit : Nevermind google be mi savior!

Advertisement