Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May flies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

derg is fishing well i heard yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Was on Corrib yesterday and Friday fishing between Lime and Saddle. Saw a couple of mayfly only.

Got one trout about 1.75 lbs on a sooty olive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kickingbear

Increasing hatches near Ashford and towards Cornamona over last few days. With Northerly winds out of the way things can only rapidly improve, on the Corrib at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭strangles

On derg yesterday,had 2 trout 3.5 & 2.4lb on spent mayfly.happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Ok back from corrib. Only did half day on lower lake.. saw handful of mayfly hatching.. no interest from trout. Blanked ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was out in OUghterard area today, plenty of fly hatching, only saw a handful of trout moving to them though, and no fish in the boat. The hatch seems to be well underway but trout don't seem to be fully switched on to them yet. Westerly winds this week should help

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Went down yesterday to the river and Today NOTHING Hatching At all! D: Anyways Its was a great day.... First day caught a one and half pound fish (brown trout) and a other fish nearly pound. then today i caught another brown weight at 1 pound ,then one more tiny little trout :D happy days
    All of the fish where caught on a Daddy long legs
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

If anyone has some room on a boat on Derg over the coming days I am interested. Can't move my boat.

ree yesterday, 1 fish 2lb on the dapp, not too many fly about

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

On Corrib yesterday, saw quite a few fly but they were moving very fast in the strong gusts. Caught three small fish all returned and turned another. Getting reports of lots of small fish being caught around the Oughterard area.

Was by the pier today and saw a few dozen mayfly and a couple of big golden olives. Too windy to see any fish moving though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Will it hatch maby next week i'm going fishing

Hard to tell as it depends on what part of Corrib (if that's the lake you're talking about) you plan to fish. Even though there have been reports of Mayfly hatching for the last couple of weeks they seem to be relatively sporadic and one experienced angler I spoke to yesterday doesn't think they've really come on yet. In the more northern reaches the hatches only really seem to be getting going now.

I would be surprised if there aren't many fly about next week but of course it really depends on the weather but again some of the older heads I've been talking to reckon the mayfly hatches will continue for another few weeks yet. Here's hoping as I love this time of year on Corrib.

Caribs wrote: »
    Hard to tell as it depends on what part of Corrib (if that's the lake you're talking about) you plan to fish. Even though there have been reports of Mayfly hatching for the last couple of weeks they seem to be relatively sporadic and one experienced angler I spoke to yesterday doesn't think they've really come on yet. In the more northern reaches the hatches only really seem to be getting going now.

I would be surprised if there aren't many fly about next week but of course it really depends on the weather but again some of the older heads I've been talking to reckon the mayfly hatches will continue for another few weeks yet. Here's hoping as I love this time of year on Corrib.

The hawthorn is only coming into full flower the last couple of days, and many of the old heads always say the mayfly comes with the hawthorn. I'd say we've yet to see the best hatches, wouldn't be at all surprised to see good hatches and fishing continue til the middle of June (as long as we don't get a heatwave, that will stop it dead!)

heading for sheelin next week... will be back here with full report... fingers crossed...

5 fish today up to 3lb 8oz, lost a beaut though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mattcullen

Fished lough Arrow yesterday and today. Lots of hatches but barely any fish rising to them?. Fish were rising in the calm water at dusk but not to mayfly as far as I could see..midges maybe?

Mate rose a couple and hooked one ( a small fish under half a pound).

I will qualify all of the above by saying I'm an occasional fly fisher and have yet to catch a wild trout on the fly on the big lakes but am determined so will try Corrib next!

• Site Banned Posts: 16 Oceanic Nebula

Caught a Beaty today, 6 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fishook

finally some good fishing weather, great rise last night, lost a 3/4lb :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

On Ree today ....saw a few hatches of fly and a few rises but nothing mental.
    Broke a fly rod mid cast.....
    Went home.....I am no good at fly fishing .

A lot of black and silver spiders out.

• Advertisement

Was out on Corrib last night and the trout were feeding freely on the spent Mayfly. Was difficult to try to sneak up on them to get to cast a fly close. There was any number of spinners landing on the water and saw numerous fish feeding on the surface. Was a great sight even if we didn't catch any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

We fished Ree hard from 10am to 11pm yesterday

We landed 3 fish with best approx 4 and a half pound.
    Mayfly hatch is falling back, a good number of spent went out late.

Not a great number of fish up on the surface for the amount of fly about, no pattern to rising fish either, as in up once and not coming up again.

Will hit it again this evening.

i'm going to go down the rivertonight, good heat expecting a good rise, might be a bit early to use the sedges?

hows mask doing? anyone fished it this yr? going over this weekend fora bit of fishing and good food and a few beers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Caribs wrote: »
    Was out on Corrib last night and the trout were feeding freely on the spent Mayfly. Was difficult to try to sneak up on them to get to cast a fly close. There was any number of spinners landing on the water and saw numerous fish feeding on the surface. Was a great sight even if we didn't catch any of them.

Was there no breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

bayliner wrote: »
    hows mask doing? anyone fished it this yr? going over this weekend fora bit of fishing and good food and a few beers:D

Heard mask is fishing well.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Was there no breeze?

Nope, not a puff of wind and the lake was like a mirror. It was a great sight even if it was making the fishing a little more difficult. Was out again last night and there was a little more wind but still very light. Not as many spent fly on the water but still managed to rise (and miss!) two fish while my fishing partner landed and returned two small fish in just over an hours fishing.

Here's a photo of what the lake was like Monday evening

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=431233503639352&set=a.391338547628848.88268.375439112552125&type=1&theater

Corrib looking well :D

My fish rose to a grey wolf and a big spent mayfly (size 10 hook) and the two hooked on the spent mayfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

heading for sheelin next week... will be back here with full report... fingers crossed...

heading myself for the weekend. hearing good reports, hopefully we don't blank again up there :D

bayliner wrote: »

Mask is producing huge numbers of small fish, mate of mine had over 40 to the boat last weekend between 3 rods, but nothing big. Bigger fish harder to come by in this weather...

• Advertisement

Sheelin in the morning, stand by for updates ...........:eek::eek:

Advertisement